Chapter 8

Love is Blind

 

Kyuhyun

 

“So, uh, how does this work? Do I need to hold your hand or something?” Kyuhyun asked a bit hesitantly, but still with a bit of sarcasm behind his words.

Part of him wanted the boy to say yes. A very very small part of him though (is what he told himself anyways.) Siwon let out a soft laugh.

“I could hold on to your shoulder or you elbow if it would make you more comfortable.” He responded with a smile. “Or hey, if you just keep talking I can follow your voice.”

“Let’s go with that one” Kyuhyun said firmly. “So um what kind of book do you want to read?”

Kyuhyun didn’t want to lose the boy so he started walking backwards through the library making sure that Siwon could follow his voice through the winding maze of bookshelves.

“Surprise me” Siwon replied with a wink. “Oh and it has to be Braille.” He said smiled widely.

Kyuhyun couldn’t help but wonder if the gorgeous older boy’s face hurt all the time. It had to, right? It seemed to him that Siwon never stopped smiling and he just couldn’t grasp why or how someone could stay that upbeat for such a long time period. He also wondered if he would blush every single time the older boy winked and smiled at him. He hoped not, but it seemed more than likely.

As he moved towards the Braille section in the library the older boy stopped suddenly and called out for him.

“Kyu?” he whined with a cute pout on his face. “Still blind here.”

Kyuhyun stopped and raced back to the older boy’s side.

“Kyuhyun,” he corrected once again red in the face.

He wasn’t sure if the blush was from the nickname this time or the fact that Siwon was adorable as well as ruggedly handsome, and he was quite at a loss for words. He figured talking to the older boy would be the easiest option, but he found it more than a little difficult. It was hard enough for him to look at the boy without turning beet red before factoring in actually having to say something to him.

“Sorry um I, well do you… what can… I can’t really think of anything to say” he told Siwon frankly. “Screw it.”

He grabbed the older boy’s hand and turned around; anything to distract Siwon from his nonsensical stuttering.  Siwon laughed and clutched Kyuhyun’s hand as the younger boy practically dragged him to the Braille books. When they got to the right section Kyuhyun released his grip, but Siwon continued to hold on seemingly unaware of the fact they had arrived at their destination. Kyuhyun relished the feeling of Siwon’s strong, rough fingers around his. He thought about walking around hand-in-hand pretending that they were still miles from the Braille books, but one look at Jessica led him to shake himself from the boy’s grip. He didn’t need any more problems, like being fired.

“We’re here” he stated.

He pulled down a book for Siwon and asked if it was okay.

“It’s great. I haven’t read this one” Siwon answered.

Kyuhyun could hear the surprise in his voice and he wondered how many books Siwon had read. He decided that Siwon must be a regular at the library. The thought made him smile. He made a mental note to ask Jessica about it.

‘Well I hope you like it” he said quietly as he turned to leave.

He was about to walk away when the older boy sat down on the couch and started to talk to him.

“So how old are you?” he asked with his head turned in Kyuhyun’s direction.

“Um, I’m 23,” he responded.

Siwon was full of surprises. Kyuhyun didn’t understand why he wanted to know about him. They were perfect strangers, of course, he wanted to know more about the other boy too.

“Oh, so we’re about the same age. Great”

A smile reached his eyes and Kyuhyun smiled in return.

“So, do you have any siblings? I’m a single child.” Siwon continued to question him.

“It’s just me and…” “Kyu.”

Kyuhyun’s hands balled into fists and he had to remind himself never to hit a girl. Maybe I can make an exception, he thought. Just this once. He sighed and turned to face Jessica, not trying to conceal the rage in his expression. She just smiled and ruffled his hair.

“There’s a customer at the checkout desk. Be a doll and help her out?”

He wanted to tell her to piss off and do her job herself, but he figured he had already pushed his luck far enough. On top of that, he didn’t want to upset her. Upsetting Jessica often led to disappointment from his sister and he hated that more than anything.

“Fine” he said as he sulked off.

He turned back and watched her saunter up to Siwon and sit next to him. They looked pretty cozy as she slid her sneaky arms around his.

“Mister?…”

Kyuhyun glared at Jessica as she talked and giggled and caressed Siwon on that comfy looking couch.

"Well I hope she makes you happy” he said out loud in a condescending tone.

“Um… Mister?”

“WHAT!?” Kyuhyun yelled angrily.

He turned and looked down at the little girl standing in front of him.

“I was um, just wondewing if you could, um, help me find a book to wead” she whispered as her eyes started to brim with tears.

Kyuhyun dropped to his knees in front of the little girl. He smiled widely.

“Im so sorry” he pleaded softly as he wiped the tears from her eyes. “Please don’t cry. Oppa will help you find a great book with lots of pictures. Would you like that?”

The little girl looked into his eyes and nodded her head.

“Can I see a smile?” he asked as the girl continued to sniff. “Pleeeaaase.”

He put on his cutest pouty face and she let out a little giggle.

“That’s better” he said as he stood up and patted her head.

She cautiously took his hand and looked up at him to make sure it was okay. When she saw Kyuhyun’s smiling face she immediately forgot that she was sad.

“Oppa, you’re pwetty” she excitedly exclaimed. “Can you find me a book about dinosauws. I wuv dinosauws!”

Kyuhyun laughed as they walked to the children’s books and she swung his arm back and forth.

He found her a pile of books about dinosaurs and monsters and pirates. She sure was an odd little girl. He sat and read with her and after she had gone through a handful of books he realized his face was really starting to hurt. He tried to relax his cheeks but he couldn’t stop smiling. It was worth it, he thought as he watched her turn the pages of a new story.

“Amber,” a relieved voice called out from behind Kyuhyun.

“Hi momma” the little girl shouted happily

“I’ve been looking for you everywhere sweety. I told you we could go to the library next week” her mom said with a hint of anger.

“Sowwy,” Amber said with a set of sweet puppy-dog eyes that made her mother (and Kyuhyun) melt.

She quickly forgave her little girl and checked out a few books for her to take home.

"Oppa!" The little girl grabbed his hand again and motioned for him to come down to her eye-level.

“I wuv you.”

She kissed Kyuhyun’s cheek and skipped to the exit, waving goodbye as she exited the library.

Kyuhyun’s face turned light pink and he chuckled as he got back to work. Today had been a lot better than he thought it would be. He didn’t even mind that he had to go back to stocking bookshelves. At least he didn’t until he spotted Jessica’s hand on Siwon’s thigh and heard her ask him on a date. He moved closer to them and hid behind a bookshelf. He hated to be reduced to an eavesdropping, but he couldn’t help himself, and to his dismay, Siwon said he would go with her. He said it sounded great. Kyuhyun felt a stab of jealousy and his heart broke as the older boy smiled at her. He closed his eyes and tried to focus on the bright smiling face of the little girl he’d met. It helped a bit and he smiled to himself.

“See you Tuesday” he heard Jessica say with excitement in her voice.

“Yeah, see you then” Siwon replied.

Kyuhyun walked away from the bookshelves by the Braille section and got back to work. He kept thinking about little Amber and he started to sort returned books when Siwon shouted loudly from the exit.

“And I’ll see YOU next weekend Kyu!”

Kyuhyun’s face flushed and he honestly wasn’t sure whether he should laugh or cry.

“Kyuhyun” he screamed.

Next weekend… hmm, I guess I will see you next weekend. He got back to his mundane job and decided that Siwon was no good for him and that it . He deserved someone like Jessica. Well, someone better than Jessica, he thought, but someone with less and a lot more .