Chapter 5

Love is Blind

 

Siwon

 

If Siwon hadn’t had work to do he swore he would’ve been at the library every day. He kept thinking about the boy who’d yelled at him that Saturday. He was fascinated by the boy and he wanted to know why. He’d never really felt this way before, and he wasn’t sure what it was he was feeling. All he knew was that he wanted to know more. Saturday couldn’t have come any sooner, and Siwon felt like he was going crazy. He hurried to the bus stop after finishing his morning routine. He climbed on and smiled as the bus started moving.

“Well Siwon, I don’t know that I’ve ever seen you this happy” Shindong joked as he pulled up to Siwon’s stop.

“I love the library” Siwon laughed, confusing the bus driver.

“You take care” he said shaking his head with a chuckle as Siwon exited the bus.

He started whistling and felt a skip in his step as he made his way to his destination. He ran up the 33 steps to the door and practically shoved himself into the building.

“Oppa” he heard the second he walked through the door.

Great, he thought to himself... Buzz-kill

“Good morning Jess, how are you today?”

“I’m just fabulous” she said grabbing his arm and gushing about how great he looked that day.

Ugh… I wonder where he is.

“So I was thinking that maybe we should go out sometime. We could go to the park or maybe we could go to a nice dinner. Ooh, I could cook for you! What do you like to eat? Do you like meat? I’m sure you like meat, I mean look at you, hee hee, so I was thinking maybe this Tuesday…”

Whatever Jessica said went in one of Siwon’s ears and out the other. He always tried to be polite and to listen to everything that she said, but this time he just couldn’t focus. Luckily the phone rang after a while and Jessica had to leave.

Siwon let out a sigh of relief and walked towards the Braille section. It was more habit than anything else. Siwon wasn’t there to read, but being blind had is drawbacks. For all he knew the boy had been fired because of Siwon the week before. Just when he started to get discouraged, Siwon heard a voice behind him and smiled.

“Can I help you with anything sir?”

He recognized the voice and turned around to face the younger boy.

“Kyu!” he said maybe a little bit too enthusiastically.

“It’s Kyuhyun” the boy replied in an annoyed monotone voice.

“Sorry. Kyuhyun. Hi, how are you?”

“I’m fine, do I know you?” The younger boy asked as he stared at Siwon.

Wow, did I really make that little of an impression?

“I guess not” he said to the younger boy, a little disappointed.

Okay, a lot disappointed.

“Well, got any good book recommendations?” he asked in a last ditch effort to talk to the boy.

“Sure, follow me” he said walking away.

I must not have made an impression at all, Siwon thought as he let out a full-bodied laugh.

“What are you laughing at?” Kyuhyun asked turning back to the older boy.

“I’m blind Kyu, I can’t see where you’re going” he said to the younger boy.

“It’s Kyuhyun” the boy corrected once more. “Geez, I can’t believe I forgot again.”

Again? Siwon had caught that. He smiled widely. Kyuhyun tilted his head in confusion at Siwon’s smile.

“Well since I can’t see…”

Siwon reached out to find Kyuhyun’s hand, but met his waist. He hesitantly roamed up the boy’s abdomen and chest and over to his shoulder. He ran his fingers down Kyuhyun’s arm until he found and tightly grasped his hand. All of the sudden it crossed his mind that it was very odd that the library used the heaters in the middle of spring. It kept getting hotter.

“Y…Yah!” Kyuhyun yelled when Siwon’s hand met his, “I thought I told you not to touch me!”

Siwon faced Kyuhyun with a smug grin on his face. He was a bit worried about how the boy would react, but was more satisfied at his own new-found cleverness.

“I thought you said you didn’t know who I was.”

The younger boy froze and became perfectly silent. Siwon stood still and smirked as he waited for the boy to reply. At this point he was becoming increasingly aware of the warmth he felt from the boy’s hand and he wondered who was in charge of the air conditioning. Maybe I should ask Jessica some time if they need to get it fixed. His hand is sweating too.

“Listen Kyu...” Siwon said shaking his head and letting his grin fade into a genuine smile. 

“Kyuhyun” the boy quickly stated.

“Right, Kyuhyun. I think that we got off on the wrong foot… Twice. Could we maybe start over?”

“Why?” The younger boy asked.

He sounded genuinely baffled at the question. There was no hint of sarcasm in his voice and it surprised Siwon.

“Because well, because I want to” he said, surprising himself with the warmth in his tone.

He let go of the younger boys hand and cleared his throat.

“So, can we?” he reiterated.

He smiled his most reassuring smile and waited.