Chapter 6

Love is Blind

 

Kyuhyun

 

He thought about turning and running before the older boy had a chance to answer his stupid question, but the boy was quicker.

“Kyu!” Siwon shouted happily turning to face the younger boy.

He smiled his dimpled smile and Kyuhyun felt himself go a little weak in the knees. This is ridiculous, he thought. Get a hold of yourself Cho Kyuhyun, wait did he just call me Kyu? He blushed.

“It’s Kyuhyun” he remarked to the gorgeous older boy trying to contain his embarrassment. Very few people called him Kyu.

“Sorry. Kyuhyun. Hi, how are you?”

Kyuhyun stood with his mouth open in shock. Choi Siwon, the dimpled Adonis, remembered boring, pathetic Cho Kyuhyun. He remembers me. He felt giddy and had to remind himself of the situation in front of him. Be cool Kyuhyun, you’re being an idiot. He decided to pretend like he’d never met the older boy. It seemed like a good plan. Forgetting him completely was the opposite of ridiculous infatuation, right?

“I’m fine, do I know you?” He said as the corners of his lips turned into a satisfied grin.

There, now who’s the idiot? The older boy stopped smiling almost immediately.

Still me… I’m still the idiot.

“I guess not” Siwon muttered to him, clearly hurt that Kyuhyun had forgotten the older boy.

“Well, got any good book recommendations?”

Kyuhyun felt the guilt he was so familiar with crawl into his stomach and he regretted pretending to forget the boy. He looked into Siwon’s eyes but quickly turned his head for fear that the older boy would see how bad he felt. If there was one thing that was worse than Kyuhyun being an idiot, it was Siwon realizing that he was being an idiot. He turned and walked off.

“Sure, follow me” he said unenthusiastically.

He figured at this point that he would just have to continue pretending. Maybe he still had a chance to be the boy’s… friend? Yes, friend; he hoped he did. He had only gotten a few steps when he heard Siwon laughing loudly behind him. Very confused by this, he turned back around and asked why the boy was laughing. He panicked at the thought of his underwear showing or toilet paper stuck to his shoe, but when Siwon answered, he realized how stupid that thought was.

“I’m blind Kyu, I can’t see where you’re going.”

His heart skipped a beat when Siwon called him by his own personal nickname again.

“It’s Kyuhyun” he said quickly. “Geez, I can’t believe I forgot again.” He voiced his thoughts as he walked back to the older boy.

Siwon smiled widely, no, he smirked. Kyuhyun knew a smirk when he saw one. It was a rare occasion when there wasn’t one on his face. It didn’t fit Siwon as well as it fit him though. No, Kyuhyun much preferred the soft smile that previously graced the older boy’s face. He cocked his head as he tried to deduce the reason behind the knowing smirk and then Siwon spoke again.

“Well since I can’t see…” he said as he moved towards the younger boy.

Kyuhyun told himself to move away, but his legs refused to comply. His eyes widened as one of the older boy’s strong hands reached out and grabbed him by the waist. He started to feel dizzy and he forgot how to breathe as Siwon trailed his fingers slowly up the front of his body. And then the older boy’s hand traveled down his arm and he wrapped his fingers around Kyuhyun’s.

“Y…Yah!” he managed to shout out unconvincingly as he caught his breath. “I thought I told you not to touch me!”

Are you trying to kill me? He thought as his face started to burn and his hands started to perspire. Siwon smirked again and he let out a small triumphant noise.

“I thought you said you didn’t know who I was.” He said facing Kyuhyun.

Kyuhyun finally understood why Siwon was looking at him with that sly expression and he couldn’t believe his slip up. It bothered him that Siwon could see right through him, figuratively of course. And it bothered him that Siwon definitely knew that he was being an idiot at this point. He felt like a child that had just gotten caught with his hand in the cookie jar. His stomach sunk and he stood there frozen still clutching the older boy’s hand. He opened his mouth to reply, not sure of what he should say, and he watched Siwon’s smirk turn into the soft smile that made his heart thump.

“Listen Kyu,” Siwon said looking Kyuhyun in the eye.

“Kyuhyun” he corrected breathlessly.

“Right, Kyuhyun. I think that we got off on the wrong foot… Twice. Could we maybe start over?”

After 23 years of experience, Kyuhyun thought he understood people. People were boring, predictable, and in his experience, cruel. Siwon seemed different. He was a complete mystery and that scared Kyuhyun more than his erratic heartbeat and wild attraction to the older boy.

“Why?” he blurted out before really thinking.

Why would you want to be friends with me? Why start over when I’ve been nothing but rude? What’s the angle? Kyuhyun braced himself for Siwon to change his mind and walk away, but he was surprised again.

“Because well, because I want to” the older boy answered.

Kyuhyun’s head was buzzing. Siwon let go of his hand. 

“So, can we?” he smiled.

Kyuhyun wanted to shout yes, but everything he’d been through had told him to say no. Plus, he had a reputation to uphold… to himself. Oh well.

“Sure, I guess” he responded biting his lip and trying to stay composed. “You still want a book recommendation?”

Siwon put his hand in his pocket and nodded. “Yeah, I’d love one.”