Chapter 16

Love is Blind

 

 

Kyuhyun

 

“Siwon…”

The warm sun beat down on Kyuhyun’s face and he stayed content, wrapped in a pile of warm blankets as he whispered out for the older boy. He tossed and turned halfway between sleep and consciousness.

“Siwon?” he muttered breathily as he came fully out of his sleep.

He quickly and disappointedly realized Siwon wasn’t there. His sleep had been filled with images of the blind Adonis again and for a second he considered crawling back under the covers. He sighed and rubbed his eyes, furiously trying to wipe the sleep away. He slowly lifted his head and took in the slightly unfamiliar surroundings before he shot up in bed. His erratic heartbeat slowed as he recognized the familiar walls of his sister’s room and breathed in her familiar scent. He thought back to the previous night and snapped his head to the desk when he noticed a small piece of paper folded by the alarm clock. The beating of his heart grew erratic as he unfolded it with shaky hands. It held Siwon’s phone number written out in Ara’s neat script. He smoothed his fingers over the number and smiled, turning to the clock.

“, , ” he screeched, forgetting about the older boy’s number and almost falling off the bed when he saw the time.

“Ara? ARA!, where’s my other shoe?” Kyuhyun fumbled around the room looking for his discarded shoes and socks in a hurry to get out the door.

“I’m late for work” he yelled frantically.

I’m going to get fired, I’m going to get fired, I’m going to get fired. The thought ran through his head like it was on a mission and he ran around in a panic imagining his sister’s disappointment. He slithered under the bed, grabbed his shoe, and pulled it over the hem of the tight black pants he was still wearing from the night before. As he finished tying the laced he was suddenly struck by the strong, homey smell of pancakes drizzled with warm maple syrup.

There was a breakfast buffet spread out on the kitchen counter and Ara’s eyes lit up as he walked through the living room with drool threatening to drip from his open mouth. He cocked his head to the side with a look of confusion in his eyes as Ara waved him over.

“Ara I’m like 2 hours late for work…”                              

Conflicted with the difficult decision in front of him, he looked to the front door and back to the steaming pile of pancakes, but eventually he pulled up a stool and took a seat.

“Well what’s another 10 minutes” he grinned, taking an abnormally large forkful of pancake into his mouth.

“Slow down Kyu, I don’t need you choking on your breakfast.” She laughed as she watched her brother shovel in food like it was his last meal.

“Jessica explained the situation to your boss and you have the rest of the week off. She told me he seemed more than happy to let you off for a while. Odd don’t you think?” She joked sarcastically as she ruffled his hair and took a seat next to him.

He mumbled out a witty response, but his mouth was so full that his wit was for nothing. Ara just laughed harder.

“Don’t hurt yourself,” she chuckled.

He gave her an annoyed face that quickly jerked into a wide smile as he swallowed the rest of his mouthful.

“What about you?” he asked, not really concerned. She wouldn’t get fired even if she murdered the boss. She was simply too perfect. Everyone loved her; he loved her. It didn’t stop him from being annoyed at her sheer perfection from time to time though. The thought that he was probably adopted flashed through his mind again for the millionth time... despite the genetic similarity between them.

“I asked for the day off so I could stay with you, you know, just in case you need me.”

Kyuhyun rolled his eyes and shook his head. It was his way of saying, ‘You know I can take care of myself Ara, but thank you.’ Ara seemed to get the message and she shook her head back.

“I know” she responded to the non-vocal comment. “But, since I’m here, I figure I’ll keep an eye on you. Just in case.”

She pulled Kyuhyun’s plate from under his fork after he stuffed the remaining pancake into his mouth full. He grumbled that he wasn’t done eating but she just chuckled at his puffed out cheeks.

“Soooo,” she nonchalantly started as she began cleaning the syrup off of the dish. “Are you going to call Siwon now?”

Kyhuyhn almost choked on the last of his remaining breakfast as he looked up at his sister’s all too serious expression.

“NOW?” He mused as her stared at her with wide eyes.

“Yes, now” she grinned. “He told me to tell you to call, so call.”

He snickered in disbelief. “Um, no”

Ara swiftly looked down and pulled the phone out of her pocket. As she looked from the screen and back to Kyuhyun, the smirk that appeared around the corner of her lips was almost unnoticeable, but he had seen it enough times to recognize the look. It was the closest she ever got to looking devious, and he suspected, the only time it was undeniably obvious that they were related.

He raised his eyebrows with curiosity, which rose quickly when he realized the phone she was staring at wasn’t hers.

“Hey, that’s my phone” he stated, watching as his sister typed in an unknown phone number. “Wait, what are you doing? Who are you calling?”

“Oh I’m not calling anyone.” Her smirk grew wider and Kyuhyun suddenly felt the urge to swallow, but he found he couldn’t. “You are” she finished, pushing the talk button.

It only took a few seconds for his brain to finally catch up. He jumped off his seat and ran to the other side of the kitchen. She held the phone out of reach while it started to ring.

“ARA!!” He screamed out in terror. “Give. Me. The. Phone.” He spat out each word as he hit the ground after jumping to try and get the phone from out of her grasp.

He squirmed as she playfully pushed him away and he froze when he heard the ringing stop.

“Hello?” A quiet voice rang out from the phone in his sister’s hand. “Hello?”

Ara hastily handed the phone over to Kyuhyun. He stood dumbfounded for a moment before suddenly pushing the end button. His eyes were wide in shock as he stared at the silent phone clutched in his hand. A few seconds later it started to ring and he squeaked before throwing it on to the couch as if it had become hot to the touch.

“Answer it” Ara prompted, giving the boy a small push. He shook his head in protest and fell back trying to resist her force. “Answer it silly” she hissed again, pushing him back at the couch.

He made a choked sound somewhere between a whimper and a gasp and Ara finally walked over to the couch and picked up the phone herself. She realized that if she didn’t, he would never call the older boy back. At least not any time soon; not soon enough for her liking.

“Hello, this is Kyuhyun’s phone; may I ask whose calling?” She answered casually, ignoring the look of horror on her little brother’s face.

“Oh, Siwonnie! How are you?” She asked feigning surprise, but with obvious delight at hearing the older boy on the other line.

How could she? He thought angrily as he watched his sister talk playfully on his phone. Wait… Siwonnie? Kyuhyun questioned as his mind started to spin. Did she just call him Siwonnie? She has a nickname for him now? Oh great, that’s just frickin’ great. My sister has a nickname for my Siwon. My Siwon? HA. God, I must be going crazy. Stupid stupid Kyuhyun. He shook his head as if Siwon would just tumble out of his thoughts if he moved it back and forth fast enough.

Ara talked happily with Siwon and asked him how he was doing before she turned and smiled at Kyuhyun. He gulped as his name was brought up in conversation and his heart fluttered when he realized it was the older boy who had brought him up.

“Kyuhyun? Yeah, he’s doing well,” she said smiling wickedly as she walked slowly towards him. “Just a minute, let me get him.”

“Kyu?” she yelled out as if he was out of the room somewhere.

She held a hand to to stifle a laugh. Kyuhyun’s mouth fell open and he stared at Ara in complete shock. She was evil. Perhaps he wasn’t adopted after all. Hell, maybe he was the good one. Hesitantly, he reached for the phone as he mouthed ‘Evil’ when he was sure she was watching. She laughed out loud and left the room so her little brother could have his privacy with Siwon, though she never quite made it out of earshot. Not that she was going to let him know that.

“He…hello?” He breathed quietly into the phone. His body had tensed and his heart was racing.

“Kyu, it’s good to hear your voice, how are you doing? Are you feeling better?” The older boy practically spat out the question on the other line.

His chest warmed at the sound of Siwon’s voice and an unexplainable calm came over him.

“It’s Kyuhyun,” he corrected, per usual, in a playfully mocking tone. He heard a chuckle on the other end and his smile unconsciously widened before answering the older boy’s question.

“I’m doing well” he said when the (gorgeous and oh so manly) chuckle had died down. “Thanks to you” he added shyly, and so quietly that he wasn’t sure the older boy had actually heard him.

“I’m really sorry about everything. I wish you hadn’t seen me like that” he spoke before Siwon could reply to his awkward comment. Of course, he realized that it might have been less awkward to try and just end the conversation there, but it was a bit too late for that.

“Hey, you don’t have to be sorry, really.” He quickly responded. “I’m just glad to know that you’re alright. I was… I was really worried about you. I mean, you know, you scared me last night.”

Kyuhyun blushed and he was thankful that they weren’t face to face at that point. Siwon had seen enough of that for a lifetime as far as he was concerned. It stayed quiet for a while. Kyuhyun bit down on his lower lip, nervous and unsure of what to say, but before he could think of anything, Siwon broke the silence.

“You’re sure you’re alright? Maybe I could swing by sometime, you know, just to check up on you.”

Yes please, Kyuhyun thought silently before thinking of a more appropriate response.

“What are you, my mother?” He asked sarcastically. He hoped Siwon would pick up on the sarcasm and not get angry. He really didn’t want to alienate the only person willing to put up with him besides his sister, and it would be nice to have a friend. A friend whose mouth you wanted to stick your tongue in, but still. A friend is a friend.

Siwon laughed a bit. “No, I guess not. Just a worried… friend.” He sounded almost hesitant, but Kyuhyun still smiled. “How about I swing by some time to hang out then, since I clearly don’t need to check up on you.” He said mimicking Kyuhyun’s sarcastic tone.

Kyuhyun laughed at that. He put a finger in the air and did a happy dance while trying to keep from squealing. He was not a squealer. Well as least he thought he wasn’t, but he wasn’t quite so sure because he had a very strong urge to squeal. He thought about it for a while before responding. He didn’t want to sound too eager, and he was a little terrified of being around the gorgeous older boy again.

“Ara and um Jess and your other friends could come if you’d like. I mean, I don’t want you to feel awkward, I know we don’t know each other that well. Well not in the normal sense” he laughed uncomfortably.

Damn, he thought annoyed at the idea of Jess anywhere near Siwon, or him for that matter. I just had to stop and think. Well, at least I won’t be alone with him… He sighed. The little bit of disappointment he felt at the suggestion of a whole party of people started to fade when he realized he would get to see Siwon out of the library again.

“Yeah, okay,” he replied finally, trying to sound as uninterested as possible, and not entirely succeeding. “How about this weekend?” He asked. “I’ll ask Ara what she’s up to.”

“That would be great. Let me know what she says” the older boy responded happily.

“I will” he said biting his bottom lip again.

“Well hey, so I have to get back to work”

“Oh okay, sorry I’ll let you go” he immediately stated not wanting to bother Siwon any more than he already had.

Kyuhyun thought he heard a slight laugh over the phone and he paused before hanging up; froze really. He was starting to really like that laugh.

“I’m glad you’re okay. I’ll see you soon.”

The phone call ended and Kyuhyun felt a comforting warmth bubble up in his chest. I’m glad you’re okay… He kept hearing Siwon’s kind words. He’s glad I’m okay, he thought smiling. Ara walked out from her not-so-conspicuous hide out and asked what they had talked about.

“Oh right, like you don’t know.”

He shook his head in disbelief, and then he softly thanked her for forcing him to call the older boy. He definitely owed her.

“So, what are you doing this weekend?” he asked with a smile that mirrored the one already firmly set on his sister’s face.

 

 

Thank you for all your lovely comments!!! Please don't stop :D