Chapter 10

Love is Blind

 

Kyuhyun

 

When he got home Tuesday after a long day at the library, Kyuhyun slumped down on the couch and flipped on the TV. He spent a good ten minutes looking through the endless channels before he closed his eyes and leaned his head against the armrest. There wasn’t anything good on, not that it mattered; he wasn’t really planning on watching it. The familiar noise kept him company during the times that he was home by himself. His chest felt heavy as he breathed in and out and he slowly drifted off. He was only asleep for a few minutes when he felt a soft weight on his stomach.

He smiled and then quickly scrunched his face into the most annoyed look he could muster as he opened his eyes.

“Yah! Get off me” he said pretending to be irritated.

His big sister stood up and sat back down on his stomach with more force this time.

“Araaaa” he said in a whiney voice that made her laugh.

He sat up and starting tickling her side and tried to exaggerate her name even more.

“Aaarrrraaa” he whined again loudly with a wide smile on his face. She clutched her stomach and fell on the floor trying to catch her breath.

“Stop… KYU!” she managed between laughs. He pulled her up off the floor and gave her a quick sarcastic apology before sitting back down on the couch.

“So?” She asked looking at him with excited expectation in her eyes.

“So, what?” He asked trying to dodge her knowing look.

He knew exactly what she was asking, but he always pretended he had no idea. He figured maybe she’d stop asking if he ignored it enough.

“Yah! Cho Kyuhyun you are coming with me and my friends tonight. No buts.” She said as she stared down at him.

She still had a smile on her face, but her tone was serious. Ara had been asking him to come out with her and her friends every night for months; unsuccessfully of course.

She grabbed his hand and dragged him off the couch and pulled him to the bathroom.

“I don’t want to go” he said trying to pry her fingers off of his arms.

He was always surprised at Ara’s physical strength. He wasn’t weak, but she was ridiculously strong… for a girl… and for Kyuhyun of course.

“Wait! What are you doing?!” He screamed with real panic in his voice as she the shower and pushed him in, fully clothed.

“Shower and get changed.” She said smiling.  “You’re coming tonight whether you like it or not.”

She smirked at Kyuhyun’s shocked face and walked out of the bathroom to grab him a dry outfit.

He didn’t have to fake his annoyance as he peeled the wet clothes off his body and murmured curses at his sister’s inhuman strength, but the warmth felt great against his tired skin and he soon relaxed into the water pounding gently on his back.

“Hurry up, will you?” she said jokingly as she placed the clothes on the edge of the sink.

"Yeah, yeah, I’m going, I’m going” he replied as a smile snuck onto his face.

He couldn’t stay mad at his older sister for long and she knew it. He climbed out of the shower and sighed as he looked down at the outfit his sister had laid out for him.

He turned the door handle and tried to push open the bathroom door, but it wouldn’t budge.

“I am not wearing this!” he screamed through the thick oak wall between him and his sister.

“Oh I beg to differ” she said holding the door shut as Kyuhyun pounded on the other side.

She laughed as Kyuhyun made more whining noises. They both knew she had won the battle. He let out an audible grumble as he picked up a pair of tight black jeans. Why not just get me some black paint? he thought to himself as he struggled to pull the smooth fabric up over his thighs.

“Araaa” he whimpered after tugging and tugging. “My ’s too big!”

She opened the door and snickered at the view of her brother trying to put on the new pants she had bought him… that he had refused to wear.

“ in” she said as she walked up behind him and grabbed the top of the pants.

After a few minutes of Kyuhyun awkwardly jumping up and down they finally got the jeans over his behind.

“Now get out so I can finish getting dressed” he said blushing as he pushed her back into the hallway. “And shut up” he said turning a brighter shade of red after she let out a loud snort.

He pulled the simple fitted white v-neck over his head and wrapped a black and white plaid scarf around his neck. He looked into the mirror and although he didn’t like his physique in general, he couldn’t help but stare. Despite the struggle to get them on, the perfectly fitted jeans hugged his curves and accentuated his toned leg muscles. The simple tee matched perfectly and made him look even taller, thinner, and more toned than he actually was. His sister was a genius and he was about to say it, but the smirk on her face made him frown and blush slightly instead.

“Okay, okay. You’re good” he said letting her have a little satisfaction at her obvious success.

“I know” she said nonchalantly as she brushed her shoulder off in a ‘yeah that’s right, I’m a bad-’ kind of way.

He rolled his eyes as she grabbed him and they walked out of their apartment arm in arm.

“Where are we going?” he asked curiously.

It had just occurred to him that there must have been a reason why she made him dress up like that.

“…Karaoke” she said quietly as she tightened her grip on his arm.

As she predicted, he tried to turn around and head back to the apartment, but she was too determined. He had a beautiful voice and she was going to get him up on that stage.

He sighed and decided it would be best just to go along with her for the night. It won’t kill me, he thought as he dragged his feet along beside her. You’re lucky I love you. He looked at his sister and shook his head.

“Fine, but just tonight” he said in defeat. “And just because Jessica’s not coming with us.”

Ara smiled and lightly hit Kyuhyun before telling him for the umpteenth time to be nice.

He smiled but he felt his nerves rise as they got to the Karaoke bar. It was light and there was a fun atmosphere spilling out the building, but Kyuhyun tensed up as Ara dragged him over to her friends and introduced him to the few that he didn’t know. The ones that did know him smiled and said hello, but he sensed that they weren’t all that happy for his presence. Can’t blame them, he thought to himself as he watched his sister happily greeting everyone. Maybe I was adopted. He sighed, smiled back at his sister, and followed them in to the bar.

After everyone had sat down and ordered a drink and snacks Ara looked at Kyuhyun and smiled a little too wide. After only a few second she had the whole party quietly chanting his name. And after a few more, he couldn’t take it anymore. He got up and walked nervously towards the stage and picked up the book of song options, glaring at his big sister before he decided to choose one to sing. He trailed his finger down the page and stopped at Super Junior- It’s You. Well at least they have good songs, he thought swallowing nervously before turning toward the large audience in front of him. Most of them were talking with a neighbor or chugging down their alcohol between loud laughs, but Kyhuyun still shook with fear until he opened his mouth and let out the first note.

“Neorago
Neorago
Nan noppunirago
Neorago

Dareum saram pilyo obseo nan geunyang neorago
Dashi hanbon mullo bwado nan geunyang neorago…”

Every nerve exited Kyuhyun’s body as he started to sing. He didn’t do it often, not in front of people anyways, but he loved singing more than anything. He loved it so much that he didn’t even notice that the bar had become perfectly silent. Nothing but Kyuhyun’s voice could be heard from inside the crowded room. His sister beamed up at him and she teared up listening to her baby brother’s beautiful voice.

“Na dashi taeor nande do ojik noppunirago
Tic toc tic toc shigani heullodo
Oh nan! 

Neorago
Neorago
Nan noppunirago
Neorago”

Kyuhyun finished the song and only then did he realize how quiet it was. He looked around the room feeling extremely uncomfortable with the silence, but it didn’t last too long. A pair of hands came together and soon the whole room was filled with echoing claps and cheers. But the only thing Kyuhyun heard was his heartbeat pounding in his ears. Every single pair of eyes was on him. Every pair but one. Dimples appeared on the gorgeous older boy’s face as he finally opened his eyes and stared straight into Kyuhyun’s. And for the third time, Kyuhyun forgot that Siwon was blind.