Chapter 3

Love is Blind

 

Siwon

 

“I’ll be right back oppa,” Jessica said sweetly as she squeezed his shoulder. “He’s just so hopeless.”

She had finally left him alone with his book, but by that point he wasn’t interested in it anymore so he got up and followed her to the crash site. He knew exactly which direction it was in by the increased volume of her nagging as he got closer.

“Would you get out from behind that book shelf and clean up your mess. You know I love you, but there’s only so much I can do here. Just get through the rest of the day, huh?” He listened in amusement as the younger boy got out from behind the bookshelf grumbling.

“I’m going, I’m going. I just slipped and…” The younger boy stopped talking and Siwon could feel him staring.

He smiled and waited for their conversation to continue. He was curious and wanted to know more about this ‘Kyu.’ “Oh, excuse me for being so impolite.” She said as she grabbed his hand.

“Siwon oppa, this is Cho Kyuhyun. He’s the younger brother of a friend of mine. He just started working here and he’s having a bit of trouble.”

He heard Kyuhyun scoff at the remark and decided he should stop Jessica’s whining for both of their sakes.  

“It’s nice to meet you Kyuhyun.” Siwon pulled his hand from Jessica’s grasp and stretched it out to the younger boy for the second time that morning.

He didn’t want to add on to the boy’s embarrassment by bringing up their incident earlier. Siwon could feel his cheeks growing warmer as the boy held on to his hand without saying a word. He found it odd that he didn’t mind, and odder still that he seemed to enjoy the warm feeling he got from the boy’s slender hand in his. Jessica cleared and Kyuhyun yanked his hand away and muttered a quick greeting. She grabbed Siwon’s hand again and glared at Kyuhyun.

“Bye,” The younger boy responded quickly.

“Wait, can I talk to you for a bit? Jessica I’ll see you later. I’m headed home anyways” he said once again removing his hand from hers.

“Um, okay. You can call me anytime” she said biting her lip which, of course Siwon couldn’t see.

She walked away and Siwon took the opportunity to talk to the younger boy again. He turned to face him and opened his mouth to speak, but was cut off by the boy.

“What do you want?” Kyuhyun said in an altogether unpleasant tone. “Didn’t you hear what she said? I have to work, and you’re in my way.”

He bumped Siwon’s shoulder as he walked passed, but Siwon grabbed his arm before he could leave.

“I just wanted to apologize again for earlier” he said, this time without holding back a laugh. “I hope I didn’t cause you too much trouble with Jessica.”

He felt like he wanted to protect Kyuhyun and, for reasons he didn’t quite understand, he didn’t want this to be the last time he spoke with the boy.

“Really, I’m sorry.”

Kyuhyun yanked his arm from Siwon’s grasp and looked him in the eyes. Siwon stood still and steadied himself with his cane afraid that he had further provoked him.

“Just stop touching me, and leave before you cause me anymore problems” the boy said harshly.

Siwon felt a sharp pain in his chest and turned to leave. He didn’t want to be trouble for anyone, especially not this ‘Kyu’ who he had troubled so much already. He walked to the exit mentally face-palming himself. You should have just left. Stupid, stupid, stupid he thought hanging his head a bit. He took a step out of the library and heard someone quietly step up behind him.

“Hey… For not saying anything to Jess earlier, um thanks”

He was only there long enough to finish his sentence and then Siwon heard the boy’s footsteps quickly retreat back into the building. He paused and then he smiled as he walked down the 33 stairs to the library and made his way to the bus stop to head home for the day. As he took his seat on the bus he couldn’t help but think that life might be a little more interesting from now on.