Why are they doing this for her?

That Girl, That Boy

It was soon 10pm which meant it was time to call Ah Ri and Maddie again. They picked up on your first ring. 

'HANEUL-AHHHHHH! HOW DID THE MEETING GO?!' 

'We just had lunch and Maddie downed a litre of coke, thats why she's like this. Mianhae, Haneul' 

'It's alright' you said with a smile 'and the meeting was good too. We're holding a prom next Friday' 

'A prom?! Who you going with?!' 

'What..me? Erm, no one. I'll be on duty' 

'Come on! You have to enjoy yourself! You were on duty for those other ones at our school-'

'-and we got thrown out of the others before we could enjoy ourselves. Haha, do you remember that?!' 

'Oh yes. I can remember so clearly'

'Yeah, that bouncer was all like 'you girls don't belong here' and you were like 'erm excuse me? Don't you know us?' Haha, you were brilliant, Haneul!' 

'Haha, oh god. That was so funny!'

'Show us around your dorm!' 

You picked up the laptop and carefully walked around the dorm pointing out what was what. The boys were all in the living room watching you. 

'Haneul! Introduce us to your friends!' Baekhyun called from across the room

'Oooh yeah! Please Haneul! I wanna talk to your roomies!' 

You sighed.

'Eurgh, are you sure? They don't speak English, Maddie' 

'I do' 

Kris had come up behind you and put his arms around you, much like a back hug only he wasn't standing close enough. He was bending down slightly as he was so tall. Maddie and Ah Ri squealed in delight. 

'Omg, is this your boyfriend Haneul?! Cheeky girl!'

'What?! Nooooo, this is the guy who came to meet me at the airport. His name is Kris. Kris, these are my best friends Ah Ri and Maddie' 

'Ah, nice to meet you. How's life without Haneul?' 

'Amazing' 

'Maddie!' 

'I'm joking. We miss her! Kris, you best be taking care of our baby!' 

'Maddie, I'm older than you...' 

'Hush child' 

You giggled. This was what you loved so much about your friends. They were naturally funny and you were 110% comfortable around them. Kris went and called everyone over. You put the computer down on the table and everyone crowded around introducing themselves. Maddie, being Japanese, didn't have a clue what was going on so you, Ah Ri and Kris formed a translating team. The 15 of you chatted for an hour before deciding to pack it in to go to sleep. You didn't want to have Kris stay on the couch again and luckily Su Ho volunteered to stay on the couch. Sehun was fine with moving in with Luhan for the night too so that was it. The final lights went off at 11.30pm and you all soon fell asleep. 

 

In the morning you found that half of the guys had already left in order to get some excercise in the gym before lessons started. D.O had left you a note saying he had made a bento lunchbox for you and that it was in the fridge. You grabbed it and headed out, checking to make sure no one knew you were coming out of the dorm. Baekhyun and Kai were in the classroom when you arrived. They acted as though you hadn't been staying with them for the entire weekend and waved and said 'good morning!' At one point, some boys from another class called Baekhyun into their classroom and Kai left to quickly use the bathroom before registration started. A girl who had been watching you jumped at her chance. You were in your seat and she sidled up to you.

'I know about you and EXO' 

'EXO?' 

'Oh don't pretend like you don't know' 

You thought hard. 

Does she know something about my family? Is EXO something to do with my past?

'Ah right. Well, erm, good for you' 

'Is that all you're gonna say?! I can make everyone hate you in this school' 

'Oooh, I'm scared. Look, unless you want Kai-oppa to come yell at you, you should at least look like you're being nice to me' 

'What?' 

'He's staring at you right now' you smirked

'Ohohoho, Haneul-ssi! You're so funny! Ahahaha'

The girl stood up straight and walked away, embarassed. Kai came up to you.

'Was she...'

'It's fine. Don't worry, oppa' 

'I said I wouldn't let anything happen to you' 

'And you've kept that promise, so don't worry about me. When the time is right, everyone will stop bullying me' 

'Araso, Haneul, araso' 

Kai still didn't leave. 

'Something wrong, oppa?'

'Who are you eating lunch with later?'

'No one, why?'

'Well... you could have it with me? Or one of the guys. I feel a bit uneasy about you being left on your own again'

'Thanks for the offer but I'll be fine. Honest. So stop talking to me otherwise I'm going to have a lot of explaining to do to the girls staring at you'

This time Kai began to walk away but not before quickly adding 'Okay, I'll tell sunsengnim that you'll be helping us with the event. It was good he suggested you!'

This guy is always so worried. But... it feels nice to have someone care so much. 

 

***

 

Maths lesson zoomed by, History lesson was a breeze and your Chemistry lesson was piss easy. You were coming 2nd or 3rd on the class ranking for most of your subjects earning the respect from your teachers and the hatred from your fellow classmates. Finally it was lunch. Everyone left the class eagerly to get to the canteen area in order to be the first to get their food. You lazily walked down the stairs towards the cafeteria making sure no one was behind you to push you. You walked into the room and in the right corner of your eye you could see the boys eating their lunch together. The girls sitting around themwere trying their hardest to get their attention and the other boys in the year were silently wishing to be idolised the the girls like they were. There weren't any empty seats and you found yourself walking to the court area. It wasn't bitterly cold but you still shivered. You sat down anyway and opened the bento. 

Holy . This is a goddam feast!

You were tucking into your lunch when you noticed a few girls coming your way. You quickly got up to leave. You didn't want more trouble or drama. They followed you as you walked to a different area of the courtyard. It was obvious they were trying to look menacing. You didn't want to look like you were scared but inside you were ting yourself.

'Is that a... That can't be a baseball bat?' you said to yourself, eyes widening in fear.

You quickly turned a corner and once out of sight, you ran as fast as you could up to a classroom. Chen happened to be passing and he grabbed your arm as he saw you. 

'Hey! You okay?'

'Erm, yeah yeah yeah'

'You're really out of breath. Its not good to do vigorous excercise after a meal'

'Oh... I erm, I didn't know'

'Actually Haneul, Kai asked me to come find you'

Chen whipped out his phone as it bleeped. 

'Yeah, I found her, happy now? She was out of breath... What? No!... Well maybe... Okay we'll meet you there'

You looked at Chen with a kind of 'so what was that about?' expression on your face. 

'We have to go to the gym now. We're about to make an announcement about the prom to our year and you need to be with us'

The two of you began making your way to the gymnasium and surely enough, the entire year had arrived and was seated waiting eagerly to hear what the good-looking boys were going to say. 

'Chen? I'm just going to sit in the crowd. I don't want to make a big fuss'

'But you helped us plan it all! You're the main star!'

'Oh come on, I barely did anything'

'It was your amazing idea to have a prom in the first place!'

'Yeah well, I'd rather sit in the crowd for this part. Tell them I say sorry'

Realising he couldn't fight with you, Chen backed down and left you in the crowd. He wasn't happy though. He had seen people kicking your back when you were sitting down and he mentioned it all to Kris. Kris looked into the crowd and spotted you instantly. It was easy to see you but it wasn't because of your beauty, oh no- everyone had moved away from you like you were the plague. Those closest to you were only sitting close to hit you or  insult you. Soon the whole of EXO had noticed what was going on and they didn't like it one bit. You were special to them. Chanyeol began to get heated but Kai managed to calm him in order to make the big announcement. 

 

'On Friday, there will be a prom. The local partner schools are also invited and it is free for our students to attend. There is no theme but you must be dressed formally. Do you like that idea?'

The room echoed with cheers and loud yeses. 

'Well then you should all be grateful to the one who came up with the idea, right?' said Kris

You're not serious, are you?

'And the idea wasn't from one of us' said Luhan

'It was by a person who is close to us' said Baekhyun

Omg. No. Don't say my name

'And this person is important to all of us. However, they haven't been treated right since arriving here' said D.O

'She's here in this room and she deserves the credit, not us' said Xiu Min

Everyone began to whisper wondering who it was. You could feel the kicks to your back becoming fainter. People began to slowly turn to look at you. 

'Look. This girl is just like all you other girls. Why are you bullying her for!? What gives you the right to bully her?!'

Chanyeol had exploded. He may be lazy but when it was someone important to him, he could get fired up faster than you could say 'kimchi'. The girls around the hall began whispering.

Do you think it's her?

Ani, it can't be... She's a new foreigner and a

They'd never like her

'As Head of School Council, I have the right to punish anyone found continuing to bully this girl. Bullying in our school needs to stop as a whole but the things that have happened to her are really quite unforgiveable' said Kai

'I know you didn't want to come up here but stand up. I'm sorry for making you do this but... Come out' said Chen

The 12 boys were staring at you from the stage. 

I'm not getting up. I'm not getting up

Kris began to walk down the steps off the stage.

'Yah! Don't be so stubborn! Come out of I'll force you'

I can't go out. They'll kill me

'Why are you being so scared, Haneul!?!'

Everyone gasped and looked at you. They already knew you were on friendly terms with the boys but for them to make a big scene like this, for a girl- it was something they had never done before. Kris was walking your way. He was on the row you were sitting at and you stood up. Someone in a hod at the back was taking aim. Kris took hold of your hand ready to pull you over onto the stage. Tao yelled from the platform he was on:

'Hyung! Behind you, watch out!'

The person took aim and fired. Kris hugged you and swung his back around to stop you being hit. Everyone sat stunned in silence as tomato juice began to drip from Kris' head onto his blazer. You sobbed no longer caring about looking weak in front of your year. Kris cupped your cheeks with his hands. A few girls screamed. 

'Gwenchana?'

'Pabo!'

You cried into his chest, hitting him again and again. The lunch bell rang. Lunch break was over.