Chapter 20

Beyond First Impressions
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Sumandal si Irene sa may pintuan habang hinihintay niya ang kapatid niya na makapasok mula sa gate ng bahay. Sakto kasing pagkabukas niya ng pinto ay napansin niyang dumating na si Karina. Pero ang ipinagtataka niya ay kung bakit hindi pa ito pumasok agad.

 

Kaya sumilip siya.

 

At doon niya naaninag na parang may kausap pa ito.

 

Judging from their college shirt, mukhang magkaklase silang dalawa ng nakababata niyang kapatid.

 

Hindi naman tipo ni Irene ang makinig sa pinag-uusapan nilang dalawa kaya bago pa siya mahuli ng kapatid niya ay lumayo na muna siya at naghintay na lang muna sa veranda.

 

Pero hindi pa rin niya maiwasang hindi mapansin si Karina at kung paano niya kausapin yung kasama nito.

 

Kumunot ang noo niya. 

 

It was the first time in a long while she saw her sister look like that. She seems so genuine… 

 

And happy. 

 

And carefree.

 

Something she barely sees when she’s inside the house.





***




Maria Irene Ibañez is the first child of the Ibañez family. 

 

Kaya naman simula nang dumating siya sa mundong ito ay laking tuwa ng kanyang mga magulang. They’ve been wanting to have a child ever since they got married pero hindi ito kaagad naibigay sa kanila.

 

Siya ang unang prinsesa ng pamilya nila. 

 

From the moment she was born, her parents' hearts were captivated by her every coo, her every smile. She was the apple of their eyes, a source of endless joy and pride.

 

As she grew, Irene's milestones were met with cheers and celebrations. Her first steps were greeted with claps and laughter, her first words met with applause. Maging ang ref nga nila ay nagmistulang art gallery dahil puno ito ng mga drawing at yung iba naman ay pictures niya sa mga sinalihan niyang contests na idinikit doon ng magulang niya. 

 

They were so proud of her.

 

If someone from outside will take a look at it, pwede na silang matawag na perpektong pamilya. Irene is well loved by her parents at lagi siyang sinusuportahan sa kahit anong gusto niya.

 

Laging sinasabi ng magulang niya sa kanya na isa siyang himala na ipinagkaloob sa kanila ng langit. 

 

And maybe that's the reason why they always shower her with love and attention, unintentionally overlooking one crucial thing – the impact this unequal treatment had on Karina. 




***




A three-year-old little Irene was seen sitting at her desk in the living room.

 

Meron kasing biniling bagong coloring book ang parents niya nang umuwi sila sa bahay. Of course it's not a coloring book kung walang pang-color so they also bought her jumbo crayons for her to use.

 

She was happily coloring her favorite Disney princess when she heard hushed voices coming from her parents’ bedroom. 

 

She quietly put down the big crayola she was holding in her small hand to get something from her room. Iniwan niya kasi doon yung iba niyang mga laruan so she would like to get them she could play. Ang bilis lang talagang ma-distract ng mga bata. 

 

Habang papalapit siya sa kwarto ay mas lalong lumilinaw sa pandinig niya yung mga boses. Magkatabi lang kasi ang kwarto niya sa kwarto ng magulang niya. 

 

Irene immediately found the toy she was looking for and as she headed out to return to the living room, she heard snippets of their conversation. 

 

“Are you sure you’re really pregnant?”

 

“This is the third time I took a test, Arturo. I’m sure I’m pregnant.”

 

“...this is really unplanned.”

 

“I know, it’s unexpected.”

 

Her parents continued to talk softly, their words a jumble of puzzling phrases that didn’t quite fit into her young mind. Irene squinted her eyes, trying to piece together the puzzle of their conversation. Phrases like “surprise,” “adjusting,” and “changes” are the ones she caught. Her small hands clenched her toy as she strained to comprehend their grown-up conversation.

 

Sa huli ay naalis na ang atensyon niya doon at mas pinagtuunan niya ng pansin ang kanyang hawak na laruan. The bits and pieces of the hushed discussion remained in the back of her mind, waiting to be deciphered when she was a little older. 

 

Later that day ay tinawag siya ng kanyang mga magulang.

 

"Anak," her mother began, kneeling down to her level. 

 

Being the curious girl that she is, she asks her mother why.

 

"What do you think of a new playmate?"

 

Irene pursed her lips cutely, making her mother smile at her.

 

"You see anak, there is a new baby living in mommy's tummy," she gestured to her stomach.

 

"Baby?" Little Irene repeated while looking at her mother. Amusement is written in her eyes. "May baby po mommy sa tummy niyo?"

 

Irene's eyes lit up with delight, a radiant smile spreading across her face. "I have a sister?" she excitedly asked.

 

Nagkatinginan ang mommy at daddy niya. 

 

Her daddy also kneeled down so they could match heights. "We're still not sure about their gender anak but maybe if you'll pray, baka matupad ang wish mo," he said, his voice warm and loving.

 

"I'll pray po!" Irene exclaimed, her tiny hands clapping together. "I'm gonna be a big sister!"

 

"Yes, anak," her mother chimed in. "Mommy is going to have a baby, and you're going to be a big sister!"

 

Sa paraan ng pagkakasabi ng magulang niya ay mas lalong na-excite si Irene. Sister – a word she understood. Nakakita na siya ng mga bata na may mga kapatid at ngayon ay magkakaroon na rin siya!

 

Her parents shared a tender glance, moved by Irene's pure excitement. "You're going to be a wonderful big sister," her mother assured, pulling her into a loving hug.

 

Irene giggled and embraced her parents. 

 

Hindi na siya makapaghintay na makita ang kapatid niya. 




***




Natupad nga ang hiling ni Irene na babaeng kapatid.

 

Katarina Marie Ibañez was born three years later than her older sister.

 

Growing up, Karina proved to be a bundle of energy and curiosity. Ang kanyang presensya ang nagdulot ng bagong kasiyahan sa kanilang pamilya. As she took her first wobbly steps, Irene was there, cheering her on and offering a helping hand whenever needed.

 

She took her role as a big sister to heart, becoming Karina's protector, playmate, and guide. Together, they embarked on countless adventures – simula sa paggawa ng bahay-bahayan gamit ang mga unan hanggang sa nalibot na nila ang buong bakuran pati na rin ang likod ng bahay kung saan nakatambak ang mga lumang gamit nila. They even used to dress up makeshift costumes gamit yung mga kurtina at kapag gabi naman ay nagsasabihan sila ng mga sikretong sila lang ang nakakaalam.

 

Irene became the best sister Karina had. 

 

They easily formed an unbreakable bond. Irene was there to answer Karina's endless questions, to lend a hand when Karina couldn't reach something, and to offer a comforting presence when Karina faced challenges.

 

The two sisters balanced each other beautifully, their differences creating a harmonious synergy that enriched their relationship.

 

But despite the beautiful connection they built, a subtle yet significant pattern continued to persist – one that Irene had become accustomed to, but that weighed heavily on Karina's young heart.

 

Their parents, with the best of intentions, continued to shower Irene with attention and praise. Natural kasing magaling na bata si Irene. Kaya naman tuwing siya ay nanalo sa isang contest o kaya naman tuwing siya ay may nagawang ikasasaya ng kanyang mga magulang ay lagi nila itong sine-celebrate. Halos mapuno na nga rin ang dingding nila sa mga frame ng certificates ng anak nila na pinili nilang i-display para makita ng lahat.

 

Hindi naman ng magulang nila sinasadyang magkaroon ng favoritism sa paraan ng pakikitungo nila sa magkapatid. Hindi rin ito dahil sa kawalan ng pagmamahal nila kay Karina. Rather, it was a continuation of the dynamics that had formed during Irene's early years. The immense joy when Irene was born made everyone naturally focus more on her, and this unintentionally became a regular way of how their family interacted.

 

Although Karina's accomplishments were recognized, they usually didn't get as much attention as the big celebrations that happened when Irene succeeded.

 

Bata pa lang ay napapansin na ito ni Karina. Minsan nga ay hinihiling niya na sana ay siya naman ang pansinin nila. She wished to be noticed and celebrated in the same way, her heart hoping she would feel as special as her sister's.

 

Sa paglipas ng pahanon ay napansin rin iyon ni Irene. 

 

She made a promise to herself to make an effort to connect with her sister. She made sure to involve Karina in what they did, celebrate her achievements, and make sure her opinions were heard when they talked.




***




"Hmm, kung ano po yung gusto ni Karina. You should ask her, Mommy," Irene cutely requested as she looked at her sister. Ito yung time na may sinalihan si Irene na talent show at nanalo siya.

 

Their parents turned at Karina at binigay nila ang atensyon dito.

 

"Anong gusto mo anak?"

 

Irene beamed when she saw her sister smile at their parents and excitedly tell them what she wanted. 

 

"Okay, if our Rina wants jollibee then jollibee it is!"

 

Karina giggled at her parents' antics.

 

"Let's change clothes na muna anak and then we'll go to jollibee after." Their mother guided them to their room at saka sila binihisan.

 

Si Karina ang naunang natapos na bihisan ng mommy niya kaya sinabihan siya nitong mauna nang maghint

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter