Stay

Remember, That I Love You so Much

 

Onew was transported to a local hospital with his manager hyung, covering the slight bleeding with a cloth. He tried to keep his composure with the extreme pain, but it hurt. It hurt so badly. He slipped down the second stair, hearing a cracking noise as he slammed his rear on top of one of his feet. The memory was still fresh, his body quivering each time he thought of that exact moment.

The hospital was pretty busy, numerous people running in and out and what seemed like thirty people standing around the waiting room. Manager hyung pulled one of Onew’s arms over his shoulders, and walked him down to a comfortable chair.

“Wait here, I’m getting you checked in.” He instructed, Onew nodding obediently. He shifted a bit in his chair to get more comfortable, and waited patiently. He couldn’t help but allow himself to cry a bit from the pain. As much as he fell, he had never sprained or broken anything before. He felt like his ankle was getting poked at with tiny needles every few seconds, his body tensing. Some people were staring, making him feel even worse. Their eyes were gazing over him, looking down to his bloody ankle.

“I wonder if I broke it,” he mumbled to himself. “Aish, it hurts so much…”

He groaned, frustrated. Onew knew that he will not perform with this type of injury. His fingers softly traced the large towel covering his ankle, feeling tiny jolts in his bones. Maybe if he pretended to be okay, they’d let him do it anyways. Onew blinked his eyes a few times after resting his foot on the floor again, allowing some pain to subside.

“Since you’re bleeding, they’re considering seeing you soon, Onew,” Manager hyung popped out of nowhere. He nodded in response, and thanked his manager. His manager sat himself in a chair next to Onew, patting his back softly. “I’m sure you’ll be fine.”

Onew looked down, keeping a smile on his face. He looked okay, but on the inside, he was hurting. He realized at that moment how much he had been hurting for only two days. It was a kind of pain he couldn’t really put in words. Maybe that’s why he’s been unable to speak with Luna.

“Lee Jinki.” One receptionist announced, manager hyung helping Onew to his feet, and stepping toward the large hallway.

 

 

 

“I hope he’s okay,” Jonghyun stated out of the blue. Practice was over already, late at night now. Luna decided to stick around Jonghyun and Key in their room to wait and see if Onew would get back soon. The three were pretty quiet, deep in thought and worry. The two boys had never seen Onew so damaged. However, Luna knew they didn’t see him after Luna’s second attack. She had a dark, grim state of mind, similar to her feelings back in Korea shortly before their trip. She felt like her world was breaking apart, danger slowly coming back into her life.

“Yeah, seeing the blood really scared me. And I could tell me was crying.” Key gave a late response, but allowed each of them to think between their words. “Poor hyung.”

All Luna could do was sigh. She didn’t want to add any comments, unable to put anything into simple words. It was a complicated trap inside her head, unable to break open to express anything.

She sighed again, listening to the two of them speak.

“Jonghyun, should I call? Manager hyung told me to call him when it was getting late to check up on them.”

“Yeah, maybe that’d be best.”

Key shuffled in his pocket to pull out of his cellphone, rapidly pressing buttons and pressing it against his ear in seconds. He waited, biting into his cheek.

“Come on, answer, answer… Oh-Yobosaeyo? Manager hyung, how are things? …good?” Key was quiet, Jonghyun and Luna listening to the tiny muffled voice through his phone’s speaker. Key spoke again, “Ah, yes… okay… overnight?”

Luna slouched in her chair, listening carefully. She imagined Onew laying on a hospital bed with some kind of wrap around his poor ankle, weak and sprained.

“Okay, well we can bring his stuff over right now, if you want.”

Luna’s head perked up, watching Key nod respectfully and saying goodbye. “Are you-“

“Jonghyun and I are going to bring Onew hyung some of his clothes and stuff so he’s comfortable with staying at the hospital overnight. Manager hyung is texting us the directions.” Key and Jonghyun stood up in unison, beginning to step toward the door and slip their shoes on.

“Wait-“ Luna interjected, “can… can I come with?”

“Oh, well sure. Why don’t you grab Onew hyung’s backpack in his room and I can pick out an outfit quickly. Jonghyun, why don’t you go and order him something nice down at the café.”

Jonghyun nodded, hurrying out the door and down the stairs, as Luna and Key went over to Onew’s room. It felt like ages since she’s been in there.

Key used the card to open the door and quickly creaked it open, allowing Luna to step inside first. She observed the room, already beginning to smell his cologne. It smelled good, making her feel happy. She smiled as Key walked past her to reach inside of his suitcase, picking through numerous clothes. Luna stepped toward the end of his bed, sitting and pulling up Onew’s backpack into her lap. It was heavy with a bunch of stuff in it, like his laptop, iPod, some packaged food, and other things. She traced each item between her fingers, deciding on what to bring. He’d probably want his laptop and… she noticed his nice little journal settled at the bottom. After pulling the laptop out and setting it gently next to her, Luna grabbed onto the journal, examining the cover. She looked over to Key, who was folding up a shirt, and looked back at the cover.

Luna was curious, beginning to open it as if she were a little brother sneaking into their sister’s diary. Luna carefully flipped some pages, recognizing some things as some of SHINee’s songs, and wondering what some things were about. Her eyes scanned the most recent entry, trying to analyze it.

 

 

I’m stuck in this fantasy,

 

 

We’re both happy,

 

 

No one is taking you away, and no one is taking me,

 

 

I’m lost in this fantasy,

 

 

I’m completely lost.

 

 

She was confused… was this about her? Luna’s heart beat faster, images of his face flashing through her mind. Was he sad when he wrote this? Was he happy? Was it even about her? Her eyebrows furrowed, wanting to know desperately.

“Okay, Luna, let’s go.” Key stated, a pile of clothes in his arms. “What’s that?”

“Oh, nothing,” Luna responded as she slapped the journal on top of the laptop, bringing both in her arms.

 

 

 

Onew was sleepy, his mind groggy and his body out of energy. He rested alone in a hospital room, his ankle wrapped well and cleaned, elevated slightly with a sling. He thought of the day, which was pretty eventually, actually. He just hoped he was able to convince manager hyung that he would be able to perform in two days.

Onew smacked his lips together a bit, realizing he was thirsty. His lips were pretty dry, and his hair was a mess now. It was a familiar feeling being in a hospital, remembering when he visited Luna after her attack. Except this time, he was hurt.

Onew wished he had some water to drink, placing his right hand gently on his chest for comfort. He was crying earlier, and his chest was still tight from the pain of his ankle as well as his heart. His fingers played with each other nonchalantly, as he thought deeply. The silence in the room was unbearable, and he just wanted to listen to someone’s voice.

“I want to see you,” he coughed out quietly, “Oh, God how I want to see you.” His lips tightened together, eyes shutting. “No, don’t cry again.” He opened his eyes, which were quivering. “You can handle being alone again, Jinki.”

To distract himself, he lifted with his arms his torso up to get more comfortable, hearing soft creaks of the sling moving around. He suddenly heard a knock on the door, it was probably manager hyung.

“Come in,” he announced. Key and Jonghyun walked in with some clothes and his bag. “Ah, my bag,” Onew smiled wide, reaching his arms out for a hug, “I’m so happy to see you guys!”

Jonghyun and Key joined in a little group huddle, smiling and nodding in agreement. “We’ve been worried,” Jonghyun stated. “Oh, and someone else is here.”

Onew’s eyes sparkled a bit, a bit of hope in his heart, “Really? Who?”

“Er-well, I kind of drank your coffee I got you, so… Luna went to go get you something to drink from a vending machine.” Jonghyun laughed nervously, scratching his head.

“Yah, of course, Jonghyun.” Onew smiled, laughing. He felt suddenly really excited to see Luna. He felt so lonely the whole time here alone, and he just wanted to see her.

Even if he still was unable to speak much to her, he waned to see her, kiss her, touch her, smell her hair, just anything with her. Except, well… speak.

He heard some heels clicking down the hallway, his door beginning to open. Luna stood before them now, with a bottle of banana milk in her right hand, a tiny straw peaking out. Her hair was in some pigtails, some pieces sticking out. He examined her movement, a bit shy but with a smile.

“Hi,” she said softly, handing Onew the bottle. “This is all I could find that wasn’t black coffee.”

Onew smiled at her, a warm ‘thank you’ through his body language. It tasted so good, replenishing lips, throat, and mouth. He watched her sit down in a lonely chair toward the end of the room, next to a window.

“Hyung, I’m setting your clothes next to the bathroom door, just so you know,” Key was speaking out into the air as he placed them down, “How long do you want us to stay?”

Onew gulped down the rest of his bottle in an instant, swallowing hard. He let out a breath of satisfaction before responding, “I just want you guys to stay. I’m lonely here.” He didn’t sound sad saying it, just honest.

“Well, how about this, hyung. We stay until about…” Key looked at his watch, “two a.m.? Is that okay?”

Onew nodded, but looked over at Luna, who was looking out toward the window. Key and Jonghyun noticed, both smiling at each other. Luna not paying attention, Key mouthed, “Ask her to stay?”

 

 

 

The four talked lightly for a few more hours, Onew feeling much better than before. They informed him of what happened after he got hurt, and how the performance was going to be played out. Feeling no more pain, Onew’s ankle was numb now, and he got to eat something to help him take down some medicine. Luna moved from place to place around the room, making sure Onew was comfortable. She fluffed his pillows, adjusted his sling, and made sure he was fed. He kept quiet around her, but didn’t stop smiling. He liked being taken care of by her. He missed the feelings of her fingers brushing against his, a subtle way to flirt with him.

Luna stepped away after cleaning his plates away, as the two boys looked at the large clock placed right above the door.

“Hyung, it’s about 1:30 and we’re so tired…”

Onew sighed, his face turned to see them shuffle away to get their jackets back on. He realized then that he never asked Luna to stay…

Luna followed them toward the door, Onew’s heart racing suddenly. “Wait-“ He called out, the three of them stopping. Luna’s heels kicked together, almost tripping, but she stumbled up and looked at him. “L-Luna,” he began to say, one hand reaching out toward her. “Luna-shi,” Onew corrected, his eyes locked on her. Luna felt shy, holding onto her own hands together, but stepped forward. Key and Jonghyun smirked at each other, closing the door behind them.

Onew kept his eyes on her face she she stepped forward, near his body. She didn’t say anything, but he reached out for her wrist, gently wrapping his fingers around it. He longed for her touch already, pulling her wrist up toward his face to make her hands wrap into his cheek. “O…ppa…” Luna breathed, shocked.

“Luna-shi.” He spoke. His heart was pumping harshly, forcing the words to come out suddenly, his mind brave and happy simply to see her…

Forgetting about the past, and focusing simply on her.

“Even if you hurt me…” He continued, “I don’t feel right without you.” His smile was curved sharply, lips tightened. Tears formed around his eyes as he began to breathe out of his mouth now. Luna stared longingly, drops already dropping from her cheeks. Her bright eyes were wide, simply shocked still.

“Please,” Luna whispered, “can you forgive my mistake…”

Onew smiled, not even thinking of her and Taemin at the moment, just that certain pain in his heart he remembers perfectly when he saw them. “It was so sudden… but now… it doesn’t matter anymore to me.” He was being honest, trying his best to just let it go and move on. It was only days ago, but… life happened so slowly for him that it felt like weeks.

Luna closed her eyes tightly, her mascara running to show transparent black tears. “I want to give you my word, oppa…” A high pitched cry came out, before she continued, “I’ll never hurt you again. Ever.”

Onew’s eyes were red and tired, but continued to cry fat, wet tears. “I love you,” he breathed, smiling. The pain she caused her still hurt in his heart, but he didn’t care right now. He was in love. He realized he was holding onto her hand over his cheek, gripping at it tightly. The two were hysterically crying, Luna placing her head down over his shoulder.

Baeho, she thought of Baeho. Luna listened to Onew’s rapid heartbeat, imagining the baby in her mind.

“I’m so in love with you,” Luna admitted, sniffing. She felt a bit ashamed by it, trying to be strong with herself for so long. She didn’t care about being an idol right now, or even being in a band. She just wanted to be with him. Luna felt his fingers her face softly; his touch was so gentle, tickling her skin. She let out a smile, closing her eyes tighter.

“I’m sorry I couldn’t talk to you,” Onew cried, “I just…”

“I understand…” Luna opened her eyes again, looking at his warm face. He looked so handsome like always, her heart jumping up and down with joy. Her lips were almost bloody from all the biting, her nervousness taking over her. “Onew… I want to be pregnant.” She felt weird, but continued, “I want to… really badly. I want you to be the father of my child. I want you to be Onew appa, and I want to be Luna umma.”

“Luna…” Onew blinked in confusion, “Why?”

She looked away for a split second, trying to find words. “I… well… a dream I had…”

“Luna… I can tell you haven’t taken a test yet… but…” Luna stared, listening, “Even if you aren’t pregnant… I want you to be with me for a very long time.”

“Onew…” She wanted to kiss him, but wanted to explain more at the same time. She suddenly thought of his journal entry, remembering his beautiful, lyrical thoughts. Maybe there was some sort of connection she felt with it… her dream explained this entry so well, the two tying to each other perfectly. She blinked out of her thoughts, noticing Onew waiting for her to continue. “I feel like I have this… fantasy of us…”

“You… you do?”

“Yes.”

Onew kept still, his hand still on her cheek. He didn’t bother to ask for her to continue. The tickling stopped, and he became serious. “Luna-shi… will you… stay here with me tonight… so I’m not lonely?”

Luna let go of his face, leaning upward to see if the boys were still outside of the door through the small window. They were probably gone already. “I want to,” she responded, “but… I don’t think-“

Please.”

She bit at her lip, thinking. She had her phone with her… but how will she get home? She didn’t have practice until later tomorrow for lighting… and Victoria… hopefully was more accepting about this. “Onew,” she spoke, uncertainty in her tone.

“Come on. You can’t just leave me. I thought you loved me.”

Luna frowned, still hysteric from the recent crying. “I do love you! I…” She sighed, letting her heart take over her decision, “I want to stay… so... I will.”

Onew smiled with such joy, giving the cutest eye smile she had ever seen. “Good… So that means you can take care of injured me?”

Luna laughed softly, the tears drying on her skin. “Of course, oppa.”

“Luna… we’re getting you a test. Tomorrow.”

She smiled in agreement, but knew she was afraid. She was afraid to face the truth, and stop guessing in her little fantasy. She just wanted to be pregnant already. She felt symptoms and she had a wonderful man as the appa.

 

 

 

The rest of the night was calm and happy. Luna was allowed to stay for the night, as long as she doesn’t interrupt his sleeping schedule, and medicine schedule. She took care of Onew even more than the nurses did, really. Her duties, in her mind, were to feed him, clean out his bandages and replace then before and after a nice bath, and make sure he is comfortable. She was tired, but knew Onew was in pain for hours after his medicine wore off, so she worked to stay up and keep him company.

Onew liked to watch her expression and body language when she helped him. She looked just like his umma would when he was sick: worried, loving eyes, busy hands, rushed. He really just wanted to tell her he felt fine and that she can relax, but he liked her caring nature.

It was so dark out, though at such an early time in the morning. Eventually, Onew told Luna to go to sleep, and to promise him she’d still be here when he woke up. She promised without any hesitation, and grabbed some blankets to sleep on a chair next to him. Onew pulled out a hand to reach hers, his fingers her skins softly. Honestly, he wasn’t tired, but wanted to let her rest.

Within fifteen minutes there was pure silence again, soft breathing from Luna as she slept deeply. He played with her fingers, examining the lines in her skin, the light pink color of her nail polish, the texture of her wrists. He didn’t feel an ounce of loneliness, though, which gave him great relief.

“I wonder,” he thought, “What that dream was about.” Onew’s eyes looked up to her, watching her breathing in and out snuggled in that blanket. He wanted to kiss her so badly, but couldn’t move.

Instead, he decided to close his eyes, and try and sleep.