Pan-Pan - 11

🌸Blown Away🌸
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter




Evil.

Sinister.

That's just the way people are...


 

The once sleepy center of the city of Seoul was now wide awake as the police and ambulance cars sped through the streets with their loud sirens echoing in the night. People started opening their windows, trying to figure out what the hell was going on at three in the morning. One of the buildings in the neighborhood was surrounded by the police and the garage seemed to be occupied.

The news reports had already started gathering and asking their questions about what had happened and who was the victim. The people who were once in their homes were now outside, talking amongst each other about what they saw and some climbing on their tiptoes as they tried to see at least a bit of it. Some even took out their cameras but were soon asked to put them away since it was a crime scene.

“Can you tell us what happened here?” One of the reports asked, shoving the microphone in front of the inspector's face.

“Do you know the identity of the person?” Another asked, shoving his recorder.

“Can you tell us more?” The third popped out.

And they just kept going and going with their questions, not even allowing the main inspector to say something. The latter his lips and blinked, by now clearly frustrated as he lifted his hands and motioned them to move back. He needed space, and they were too close to his liking.

“At the moment-” He was about to speak but soon got cut off.

“Who reported the murder?!” One of the reports from the back yelled.

The inspector rolled his eyes and glared at all of them. “For starters, if you allowed me to talk that would be good! Thank you!”

Silence. Nothing but the clicking of the cameras and people whispering from the back could be heard.

“Much better,” He mumbled. “Alright, so at the moment, all we know is that he is a young man in his 20s. As the investigation continues you will be updated.”

He was about to continue, but one of the officers walked up to him and whispered something. The latter only nodded before clearing his throat and giving out his orders.

“Clear them out,” He spoke. “Let’s go get her.”

“Who? Did you catch the culprit? Can we know the name?” A reporter asked suddenly.

Soon it became noisy again, making the inspector sigh and shake his head as he turned around and left toward the entrance of the building. A black police van pulled up and a few others came running out of it and went straight into the building. The reports tried to come as close as possible, but they were kept back, as per the inspector's order.

“She won’t confess,” One of the officers said as they stepped into the elevator.

“Did a criminal ever confess?” The latter barked.

The officer shook his head quickly. The others kept quiet. They knew better than to say anything as Mr. Shin was known to be ugly at times. He took his job seriously and once he gets on someone’s case he doesn’t back off until he sees them in jail. Many didn’t like him. Many hated his guts. His personality was ugly. He feared no one, but all feared him. But did they say anything? No. Did Mr. Shin know that? Of course, he did, but he didn’t give a damn.

The elevator came to a stop and he walked out, followed by his team. The door of the apartment where the potential criminal lived was opened and he could hear sobs, but that wasn’t his concern. As he walked into the apartment, the first thing that caught his eye was the female, sitting in her pajamas and mumbling that she didn’t commit the crime. That she was innocent and that she had no idea what was going on.

“Have you read her the rights?” Shin spoke coldly. “Why isn’t she handcuffed?”

“We were first searching the house, we-”

“I work with morons…” He hissed. “What did I say is the first thing to do?!”

The officer quickly cuffed her up. Her whole body was trembling, feeling as if it was filled with iron. Her breathing quickened and she felt she was falling and falling. This place was too suffocating, and it felt like the walls were about to crash down on her. The two police officers were holding her so that she could stand. Shin observed her and raised an eyebrow. 

"P... Pills...Please..." 

“Where are they?” He asked. 

"B-bathroom...first shelf next to the mirror..." 

He nodded and went to get them, in a few seconds he returned. “This?” He asked. “Get her some water.”

“T… thank you…” She said and swallowed the pill with some water.

She took a few deep breaths, but this was no nightmare. “I didn’t kill him… I didn’t…” 

The female officer arrived. "You asked for his file, sir? Well, it seems like he has quite a record. Miss Jung has no criminal record at all." 

“Mhm,” He looked at Jessica. “Get her to the station and provide her with a lawyer if she doesn’t have one. I want every inch of this apartment and garage to be investigated, or I swear I will have your heads, got it?!” 

"Yes sir!" 

*

At the police headquarters…

Jessica sat in the interrogation room and waited for Eunji. She had called her earlier, but she was under so much stress that she had a difficult time explaining it all, so one of the police officers did that. She was scared. She was in a panic state. She couldn’t think. She couldn’t breathe. She couldn’t focus. 

At that moment Eunji arrived, heading down the corridor toward her. The look on her face was of a worried mother for her child, when she approached her she hugged her tightly. Jessica hugged her immediately and momentarily she felt safe, away from the judgemental looks of officers that had been passing by. Detective Shin was handling papyrology and waited for a lawyer to arrive so that the interrogation could start.

“Mrs. Kim,” Shin spoke. “Please have a seat."

“Thank you, Mr. Shin,” she said, “any possibility that my defendant can defend herself from freedom?”

“It depends on what she tells me,” He explained. 

Eunji looked at him. “As long as you are not like a certain chief who is in jail,” she said, “you may start with interrogation.”

He raised an eyebrow. “Alright. Miss Jung, how do you know Hyun Lee?”

“He was my boyfriend,” she responded.

“So a crime out of passion, huh?”

Eunji was glaring at him but said nothing, she nodded at Jessica. 

Jessica’s eyes teared up. “No. I didn’t kill him. I actually can’t stand the gun… he made me scared of weapons. He always came back and would put the pipe at my head, and drag me with him… and then it continued...”

“Have you reported this to the police?” He asked. 

“Many times. He always breaks them, he stalked me daily, because of him, my sister moved out… I thought he accepted that we were done. But no… his beatings became worse...” She mumbled, got up, and turned her back to lift her shirt. “They are...not fresh...but...they are visible...”

He nodded. “Your fingerprints are all over the weapon and he was found in your car, all evidence points to you, Miss Jung.”

“How could my client be at the two places and at the same time, Mr. Shin? Unless she magically cloned herself or she has astral projection ability.” Eunji was cold. “Do not use the same tactic as Dal’s lawyer.”

“Holding a grudge?” Mr. Shin asked. 

“Yes indeed, I do,” Eunji replied, “my previous client has gone through an ordeal of suffering because a man wouldn’t believe her. A lot of people wouldn’t believe me when my own mother reported a motherer of my father and me to have to kill him myself. So yes, I do hold a grudge, when an innocent person is being crucified like Jesus Christ and tortured!”

Jessica sniffed. “Next question.”

“Let’s not make this personal, alight?” He replied. “Miss Jung, when was the last time you saw Hyun Lee?”

“This morning, I was going to my work, and he appeared out of nowhere, and we argued. It culminated in everything I felt, he triggered me and I told him without thinking I’ll kill him if he only approaches me an inch and that I won’t endure this emotional and physical abuse... After that incident, I went straight home, called in sick and I stayed home. I was sleeping it off to feel better.”

“Was anyone around?” He asked again. 

“Byun Ari and Kim Jieun,” she answered. “We were supposed to hang out a little before my work starts, but as I said already Hyunwoo made sure to ruin it, like every time.”

“And they are? Friends? Family?” 

“They are friends, one of them is my daughter,” Eunji replied.

He nodded. “Alright, you will leave their numbers and addresses.” 

Jessica nodded, in that moment a female officer walked inside and brought him files. “She filed for restraint orders approximately 50 times. There was a case leading against him because he wouldn’t leave her alone."

"Thank you," He said. "Is the apartment checked?"

“Yes, but no signs of a weapon or a struggle, sir. Only the car."

"The weapon was found in the car," He explained. "Miss Jung, who has access to your car?"

"Only me and my mechanic…" She replied.

"Have you found the car keys in Miss Jung's apartment?" He asked the police officer.

“No, they disappeared, she reported that already,” the female replied, “cameras mysteriously were cut off at the hour of the incident.”

"Once you came home, have you gone out?" He asked.

“No, I was indoors, I was sleeping on and off, I only went to the kitchen to have some water and to return back to bed and resume my sleep. I had a depressed episode, so I just shut my phone off and slept.”

He thought about everything that she had told him. "You are still a person of interest."

“I am nobody,” Jessica said firmly. 

She had an attitude. He raised his eyebrow. 

“I am an orphan, a literal nobody, who struggles every day, works very fair and goes to school. Why would anyone have an interest in someone like me? I have nothing to offer.”

"The evidence points to you and until this case is solved you will be watched," He explained.

Eunji hated his attitude but said nothing, she was just glaring. “Use some proper words, you do sound like an angry ex, Mr. Shin.” 

"I am doing my job, the same as you are doing yours. Even if my own mother was in question."

“As long as you don’t put an innocent person in jail. I already have seen it happening.” She said. 

"I do my investigations the right way and once I am 100% sure I make a choice.”

“Do excuse my distrust, you’ll understand why,” Eunji said. 

"I did a little background research on you, Mrs. Kim," He replied.

Eunji raised an eyebrow. “And?”

"You are a hard nut to crack, you hate injustice just as much as I do and I believe that we won’t have any problems right?"

Hard nut. Now that’s one of many nicknames she got. There are many like - the beast, and serpent. But Hard nut is actually a compliment. She was amused and impressed. 

“Next time we arrive I’ll present myself as a Hard nut.” She said. 

He held back a smile. "She can go home, for now, but we’ll keep an eye on her.:

Eunji pursed her lips, and smiled at Jessica.” Sweetheart, wait for me outside. I want to speak about something with Mr. Shin.”

A female officer accompanied her. 

Eunji pulled out a file. “Check someone for me. He is my son’s biological brother and checks the whole family. They called my son two days ago. I adopted Taeyong or better yet saved him from that hell. For years they haven’t called now, they started calling.”

He looked at her and then at the files. "Interesting."

“With this said, Mr. Shin. I strongly believe he is revenging my son through Jessica.” Eunji bluntly said. 

"Those are some strong accusations,” He spoke. “Based on what you think about this? Has anyone seen  him around?” 

“Just my son, while he was with them, they never offered him, love. His brother dragged him into very strange situations, and I mean strange, I mean he always locked him up, turn off the light, and once even pressed a pillow on his face. Taeyong told me this when we first adopted him... that brother forced his parents to be awful to Taeyong.”

He took a deep breath. “Alright, I’ll check the ties and we’ll stay in touch, Red.” 

“Call my office, not home. I don’t want him to know what I am doing,” she raised an eyebrow, “How in the world do you know my nickname?”

“We have something in common, but should I tell you or do I leave it to your investigation?” 

Eunji blinked. “Wolf?”

“Took you long enough,” He smirked. “When she mentioned you, I did a background check and figured it was Park Eunji.”

She rolled her eyes. “I am Kim now,” she raised her finger. “And you are still miserably single.” She .

“I am 31, I have time.”

“I spoke that way and one pilot happily trapped me,” she said.

“I am dating my job,” He frowned. “Yah! How did we end up talking about relationships?”

“I am older than you,” she winked, “with this, I am off. Bye, Wolf. Should I tell your female officers to beware of you?” 

With that, she ran off. He shook his head and sighed. “She hasn’t changed.”

The world sure was small. He had kept tabs on her, but did he imagine that he would see her again? No. Life had a path for both of them, but those paths brought them together… a long time ago, but was she aware that there is more than just friendship that connects them?
 

 

Finally, morning arrived Ari sighed in relief. It was a hectic night for Taeyong and her as they were in the ATC. There were many flights that landed and some of them had mechanical issues, so they were a priority, but they were stressful as well. If one thing goes wrong, everything else follows. It wasn’t a joke, being on the ground was just as important as being in the air. Both parties had a responsibility.

“Shall we eat something before going home?” She asked, looking at Tae. 

“Of course, baby,” he told her, “also, Ri, when do you want to travel to Italy? I think its’ best after trial.”

She smiled. “I was thinking about next month, but I wasn’t sure how you would react… so I wanted-” 

“I told you we are going together. No argument or saying no. Are we clear?”

She chuckled. “Silly, I didn’t mean to go there without you.”

“Good, have that in mind,” he grinned.

“I’ll be your translator there,” She winked. 

He gave her a mysterious smile. “Thank you, love, the language is hard,” he pouted. 

She looked around and once making sure there were alone in the locker room, she leaned closer and kissed the corner of his lips. Around him, her phobia slowly started to fade away, she still had her moments, but he never pushed anything more except a hug, holding hands, and a kiss. He resumed the kiss, not letting her escape, he deepened the kiss, savoring the soft taste of her lips, her scent. She closed her eyes and wrapped her arms around his neck, kissing him back.

“Ari, can you please check the eng--Woah...sorry!” Jieun said immediately. 

Ari blushed a deep red and tried to push away but Taeyong refused to let go. “Don’t mind my sister, she never knocks,” He teased and let her go. 

“This time is urgent, Kim Ta--”

Byun Ari and Kim Jieun, report to the gallery. Byun Ari and Kim Jieun report to the gallery. 

The two girls looked at each other for a moment as they heard the announcement.

“What could that be about?” Ari mumbled. “Let’s go.

Jieun blinked. “Let’s find out.” 

They all walked out of the locker room and headed down the hallway toward the gallery area. As they entered the area, a man with short black hair, a muscular body, and hazel brown eyes, in his 30’s waited for them. Two police officers standing next to him. 

Jieun and her exchanged looks. 

“Byun Ari and Kim Jieun?” 

“I’m Byun Ari,” She spoke. “And this is Kim Jieun.”

“Have a seat,” said the male, “you are invited here to testify in Jessica’s favor because she is suspected of the murder of Hyun Lee.”

Ari blinked in shock. “W… what?”

“What the hell? She didn’t kill him!” Jieun roared. “He stalked her. He beat her up, forcing her to not see her friends!”

“He threatened to kill her!” Ari added. “Where is she?”

“We sent her home with her lawyer. Kim Eunji,” the male responded. 

“Let’s just calm down,” one of the officers said. 

“Calm down? Jessica wouldn’t hurt an ant. What do you mean to calm down?!”

Ari took out her phone. “Yesterday he followed her and made a scene, I recorded it. Here.”

“He threatened her before multiple witnesses, it all started when he attacked her in the bathroom. If one of the employees of the restaurant haven’t saved her, he’d her and killed her.” Jieun said, “Then he proceeded to follow her like a voucher outside, and made a scene. A person with anxiety and already a domestic violence victim isn’t very good.”

“I see,” He replied. “Has he ever encountered one of you or attacked you?”

“He had encountered me and Ari,” Jieun said, “he couldn’t try because he knew what would happen to his male parts.” 

One of the officer

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter