Pan-Pan - 01

🌸Blown Away🌸
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter


 


 

April 2nd, 20137

Seoul, South Korea

Kim Jieun


The sky isn't limited. It represents limitless possibilities. Air represents freedom. Once you own it, the air will trust you.  In the air, you and the plane become one person, one body. Trust him, and learn to listen to his needs. Listen to the engine, let him lead you. 

Whatever you do, do not touch buttons, they are only for emergencies. You are interested in clutch wheels. When you hear him roar, just change the speed but not when you are on the ground. 

Remember, you can do whatever you want with it when he trusts you. 

*****

The air and sky were in her blood. From the first flight with her father, she got rid of her fear of flying. It was beyond words the way she felt back then. It was because of her father, who was a brilliant pilot, and her mother. Because of them, she wanted to become a pilot, because the place doesn’t keep her. She always wants to be somewhere up. 

Family Byun offered that, when she announced she wanted to be a pilot it wasn’t a surprise. Her parents didn’t question and her training as a pilot started. 

However. 

Family Kim offered her more than she could have asked yet they weren’t her real family. Her real family died. A former corrupted cop-killing two detectives for knowing too much has spread like a wildfire, and young Jieun didn’t know the truth. 

Up until the trial. 

On trial, she knew what truly happened and why her real parents gave her away. It wasn’t because they didn’t love her but because they were dead. 

***

“Take her away,” Eunji ordered. 

Areum took Jieun with her as fast as she could, along with Ari whose watchful eye was on her. Jieun was pale, and very quiet, just like the first time Areum and Ari met her. She didn’t speak from the shock. How could some people be cruel? 

“What you hear changes nothing,” Areum said after a moment. 

Jieun held tightly to the woman but said nothing when Ari hugged her. 

“Something you lose but you gain something. I know you are shocked. I would be too.”

Jieun sniffed. 

“I’m sorry...” Ari told Jieun. 

Jieun shook her head. “It’s not your fault. It still won’t change that you are my sister.” 

Ari opened her arms for her. 

The two girls hugged each other as Areum shed tears. 

***

It wasn’t because they didn't love her but because they were protecting her. Jieun won’t lie when she said she didn’t visit them in jail. She did. Was it because of Ari? No. Had she visited Dal? No. But his father. She wanted to know what they did so wrong that they had to be killed. 

Had it helped? No. 

But she moved on. Eunji found out but never said anything to her and the two agreed not to tell anyone. 

Her life began when the Kim family adopted her. She gained a grandmother who adored her and wanted to fulfill each of her needs and an uncle who spoiled her. She met two girls who became more than her friends but sisters. She met crazy uncles whom she won just like that. Junmyeon and Jongdae. The two always make chocolate mus cookies whenever Jieun arrives at their home, while ma Eun makes her favorite meal, soybean paste pork stew. 

She still remembered how they easily pulled her with them. It’s like all sadness disappeared. Her shell was easily broken when her brother came - Taeyong and cousin Johnny. When Taeyong arrived, Jieun and he clicked easily, he and she were introverts. They don’t like attention, and most of the time they are silent. They have mutual subjects they like to talk about. 

With Johnny, it’s easy-going. He is the type who forced her out of her shell even more. The two continuously spend time with her nonstop making her do things she wouldn’t normally do or believe doing. And then someone else appeared in her life. 

Byun Yuta Ilhoon 

The boy who Baekhyun and Areum adopted. 

Jieun strongly was against any relationship being stubborn, she never would break the vow she gave many years prior. But he was making it difficult for her. Each time she is around him, she’s not sure how to react around him. He, like others, forced her to do things she wouldn’t do. 

For example, skydiving. 

Would she do that normally? Hell no. It was scary. 

***

“No, forget it!” Jieun said, shaking her head. 

“What do you mean? It’s fun!” Taeyong said, “we tried. Come on!” 

Jieun shook her head. “I am not doing it, it’s ing crazy!” 

“Well, we are crazy,” Johnny raised an eyebrow. 

Jieun glared and aimed to kick her boot at his . “Not the point, you big oof!” 

“I’ll jump with you,” Ilhoon smiled. 

At one minute she was angry at Johnny and Taeyong, at another, she was taken aback because of a simple offer. No, no, her brain screamed. Yet, he is her friend, so she could jump with him. 

“You won’t let me fall?” 

You aren’t supposed to say yes! Her mind screamed. Jieun ignored it and she grabbed the helmet and nodded. 

“No, I would never allow it.”

“Okay.” She smiled sheepishly at him. 

***

She pushed her thoughts of him for a while, She was focused on practicing flying. She didn't fall in love but followed her dream. She will become a pilot like her ma Areum and she wants to become a military one as well. 

No distractions were allowed. 

This exam was very important for her, nobody can understand that. Ari does, but even she tells her she shouldn’t feel like that. Jieun doesn’t want to depend on her parents' reputation. She wants to be her own person. She wants people to recognize her as an individual. 

The exam would show everyone she is not living in the shadow of her parents. 

The elevator landed and she walked out of it. Her uniform was simple military green with a stamp on the left side of her chest which stood her nickname given by Baekhyun and Areum. HERA. She wore dark shades. 

There was nobody on the trail. Even if it was, she could care less. 

The scent of gasoline and petroleum touched her senses, awakening the adrenaline deep inside her. It became vivid. The fog made by smoke came out of the exhaust pipe, indicating that the plane was ready. Jieun threw the gom on the ground and grabbed her helmet, heading towards the plane. Clenching her jaw, she climbed into her plane and the cabin was closed. She leaned into her seat taking a deep breath.

You can do this. No nervousness is allowed here. 

***

“Alright, Ji. Prepare for take-off,” Chanyeol winked. “What was the first step?”

“To ask for permission to take off?” She said nervously.

He nodded. “That’s right. Now contact the ATC.”

She reached the metal bird and after a signal, she spoke. “C-Cobra 006, I am asking for permission to take off. Do you copy?”

“Cobra 006, we hear you loud and clear,” The person spoke. “Taxi to runway 4B to your right and wait for further instructions.”

She slowly taxied the plane towards the said runaway, above her blue sky was inviting her in. It was splendid and beautiful. She felt something surge through her. Adrenaline? nervousness? No, she wasn’t nervous. Just eager. 

“Okay, what’s next?” Chanyeol asked. “What do you do?”

“I wait for permission to be granted, but first I check controls because there are things that only I can see here,” Jieun said, “when I do I balance the amplitude and speed to be equal.”

Chanyeol smiled and nodded his head. “Good.”

“Cobra 006, you make take-off.”

Jieun nodded. “Copy that.” 

She slowly started the engines and began to take off after she balanced the amplitude, her lips drew into a thin line as she began to slowly, gradually pick up the speed. When she reached the peak she sped up and began to let herself go, feeling that the machine trusted her enough and began to levitate up and then in circles. She mixed Areum’s and Baekhyun’s tricks; her hand was always ready to minimize the speed on the clutch. Chanyeol observed every movement, satisfied with what he saw. Even though the nearby planes tried to distract her, she didn’t let that distract her for one second. She was smiling as she managed to fully control the plane.

Her hard work and effort paid off. 

***

She sighed and took the metal bird and pressed on, after gathering enough courage. 

“This is Hera 009, request for taxing and take off.” 

“Hera 009, runway A5, to your left,” the controller said, “You may take off shortly after taxing.”

Like the wait before the roller coaster was about to take off, her heart thumped, her body itching to become one with the machine. She was flying all alone now and nobody was with her to tell her mistakes. She has to do it on her own. 

Nobody can tell you apart from you. You need to correct yourself, we taught you everything we could, and now it’s on you. Jongin told her.  

“It’s you and me now, others,” Jieun said softly. 

It feels great to be in the cockpit. Being a controller was way too serious for her, and she doesn’t find pleasure in it. She prefers to be up. 

To be one with the sky.

To be free like an eagle.

“Hera 009, you make take off, we have you on radar,” the controller spoke again. “All is clear.”

“Copy that.” 

Her focus was on the instruments, and the engine’s level. She made sure everything was in order and safe, and she slowly started taking off, her sharp eye on the controls and making sure she balances the amplitude and speed. She heard cheers for her and that is what made her relax. The plane started to take off, going higher. 

Higher. 

Higher. 

And Higher. 

“Whatever you do, do not let your breathing labor, or take off your mask, you’ll lose air immediately. Just take it easy, and remember like you are in the water, you need to breathe, so you need that mask.” 

Her mother’s warning was still ringing in her ears when she made a mistake. 

She was right, she could have lost air too fast. 

She became one with the plane, and slowly she was picking up the pace, letting herself feel the engine. She was careful not to relax before time. She still had a fear, but she must learn how to be free. 

Come on, you can do this. 

It moved according to her wishes and the pilot in her became unleashed slowly. She clenched her jaw and sped up more. She had done flips in the air and a couple of crazy stunts, as she easily passed other planes in the air. 

The pilot and plane became one soul and body. 

The adrenaline. 

The happiness. 

The fear? It disappeared. 

There’s no fear anymore commanding over her urges but adrenaline and her instincts. She smirked as she caught Johnny’s plane leisurely flying and trespassed him. 

“YAH! You’ll pay for that!” 

“It's not my fault you are slow,” Jieun smirked.

“Slow? Taeyong you hear that?!” 

“Oh I do, let’s teach her a lesson!” 

She giggled as they began racing, and soon after Nari and her plane joined. The initial fear she felt from earlier, the loneliness she felt was gone. 

“Let’s land this baby and have some drinks, shall we?!” Johnny suggested. 

“That sounds like a brilliant idea,” Jieun grinned. 

*

“Have you spoken lately with Ari?” Jieun was curious. 


“I a bit over the phone last night,” Nari said. “She asked if everyone was doing alright, and you?”

Jieun nodded. “But not for long.”

Nari took a sip of her coffee. “I miss her. I asked when will she be arriving, but she is mysterious as always, as for Taeyong… well the two talked for the New Year and that was that.” 

Jieun nodded, as she sipped on her soda. 

“How do you think she would react when she sees him with another?” Johnny asked suddenly. 

Jieun looked at Nari, both knew very well how Ari would react. Even if she pretends like she doesn’t care, she cares. 

“The volcano inside of her will start to boil,” Nari said. 

Johnny smirked. “In that case...I think we, Eros, should just start our work.”

Jieun raised an eyebrow. “What is on your mind, Park?”

“We would have avoided all this if those two sat down and talked,” Nari sighed. 

“True,” Johnny nodded, “but we know both are extremely stubborn and-- PERFECT TIMING!” 

Jieun blinked in confusion at her cousin who pulled up his phone just in time to picture Taeyong with his girlfriend in a not-so-friendly pose. Jieun knew how he reacted, so she tried to poke Johnny who was unphased. 

“What do you think you are doing?” 

“I’ll explain... This is our first task. You two are known to be sneaky little snakes, so you’ll just accidentally show this picture to Ari.”

“Are you sure about this?” Nari asked. 

“I am sure.

“Alright, let’s do this!” Nari grinned. 
 

 

Friends.

Family.

Kim Nari had it all.

As an only child of her parents, they gave her everything she wished for. Her dad was on a more relaxed side, on the other hand, her mom was a bit more strict. But she loved more of them dearly and never did anything

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter