Pan-Pan - 05

🌸Blown Away🌸
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter



It wasn't her battle, but it sure seemed like it...

She couldn't help but worry...

That feeling was stronger than her...


The sound of the chalk against the blackboard and the ticking sound of the clock were the only things that could be heard in Areum’s classroom. She was considered an excellent professor, strict at times, and relaxed at times. Cheerful when needed. Serious when needed. She didn’t ask for much except for knowledge and to follow the rules, if not… well that would mean getting on her bad side. And once one gets on her bad side, well… they are in for a lot of homework and surprise tests.

The rules were the same for all, even her daughter.

“Who can tell me more about the case that happened a few years back?” Areum asked, placing down the chalk and walking over to her desk.

“The one where the Airplane’s system malfunctioned during landing?” One of the students spoke.

She nodded. “That one.”

“It was said-”

Areum cut him off. “I don’t want to know what the rumors are, I want to hear your explanation. You’re opinion.”

He nodded slowly and cleared his throat. “The mistake was made from the get-go.”

Areum listened, crossing her arms across her chest.

“From the moment that plane took off there was a problem,” The male continued. “The pilots couldn’t see that their front gear didn’t go up the whole way, as the alarm didn’t go off in the cockpit, but the ATC controller failed to check and report it to the pilots.”

“Why do you think he failed to do so?” Areum asked.

“It was a busy day, and there was a lack of staff.”

She nodded. “Does that justify him?”

“No,” The male shook his head. “One should focus on what he or she is doing.”

“Very good,” Areum said.

Nari and Jieun listened carefully. Areum’s class was their favorite as well as they could learn a lot of things. Areum always had good questions she asked and good answers. All of them were covered with evidence to support them. Areum did roleplay with them, giving them different roles and different situations just to see how they would cope with them. In most of the cases she was satisfied, when she wasn’t, she wasn’t afraid to point it out. But it was all for their own good and the girls knew that.

Some students liked it and respected it.

Others hated it.

Was Areum aware of that? Yes.

Did she care? No.

Ari was sitting in the back of the classroom, looking out the window as the planes landed and took off. She was physically there but mentally somewhere else. Of course, partially she was listening to what her mom was talking about, and also she was able to answer, but Areum was no fool. She knew her daughter well, but it was not the place nor the time to say anything.

She will wait for the class to end.

“Does anyone have anyone have any questions?”

They all shook their heads.

“Alright, let’s continue.”

*

The moment the bell rang Ari was out the door, making Areum sigh. Nari and Jieun noticed what was going on, but they had no clue as to why Ari was suddenly acting like that. The latter never mentioned anything to them… which was kind of strange, but she probably had a good reason for that. At times, it was easy to read Ari and at times, it wasn’t. She was a mystery indeed.

“Thanks for today’s class, ma,” Jieun smiled.

“It was amazing!” Nari jumped in.

“I’m glad you girls like it,” Areum winked. “Tomorrow is the simulator test, don’t forget.”

“We won’t!”

With that, the girls kissed Areum’s cheek and walked off to get to their other class on time. Ari never left Areum’s mind. That child surely knew how to worry her at times that it was giving her a headache. Once the students cleared out, Areum sat down and took out her phone, deciding to send her daughter a message.

Join us for a cup of coffee, at the usual place. xo

- Mom

*

What time, mom?

- Daughter Ri

*

If you don’t have any more classes, now.

- Mom

*

See you soon! <3

- Daughter Ri

Areum put her phone down and started packing her things. At that moment, the door opened and Baekhyun walked inside, smiling as he carried a lunchbox with him.

“Ready, love?”

She smiled and nodded her head. “Let’s go.”

They left the classroom and walked down the hallway and toward the office.

“Have you noticed anything strange about Ari?” Areum suddenly asked.

Baekhyun thought about it for a moment before giving her a reply. “No, why?”

“She’s distance today, something is up,” She explained. “I called her over to have a cup of coffee with us.”

He nodded his head. “Let’s solve this and see what could be bothering her.”
 


Ari was in the locker room, putting her things away since she wouldn’t be needing them for the rest of the day. In all honesty, she wanted the classes to be over as fast as possible and even though she only had two classes it felt like an eternity. Ari surely had a lot on her mind and it was hard to focus on it all. Mostly because of her friend Jessica. Even if she wanted to forget what Jessica told her, she couldn’t.

It reminded her of things she tried so hard to forget.

***

“What happened?” Ari asked, giving the latter a cup of warm tea.

“I dumped his sorry a few days ago,” Jessica said. “But…”

“But?” Ari questioned carefully.

“He won’t leave me alone! He came to my workplace today, apologizing and claiming that he will change and not sleep around anymore,” She sighed. “I refused to take him back and he went crazy! He started calling me names and just humiliate me in front of everyone!”

“Have you called the police on him?”

She nodded. “I have, but they just giving him a warning because he wasn’t touched me, and they have no proof that he is a threat. I am getting tired of this!”

Ari hugged her friend, gently patting her back gently. “Has he ever hit you?”

Jessica shook her head. “He never went that far.”

Ari sighed in relief.

“I won’t stay here for long,” She said. “I don’t want to put you in an uncomfortable situation with him.”

“Hush!” Ari spoke. “Don’t worry about that, you can stay here for as long as you want. That er doesn’t scare me.”

“Thank you.”

“Hey, what are friends for?” Ari winked. “Hungry?”

“A bit.”

Ari nodded and grabbed her phone to order some food.

***

Dal was like that.

He was a stalker.

He was an abuser.

He was a psychopath.

That’s why it hit Ari a bit more than it should have. It triggered things she locked away, but it also gave her the determination to help her friend get away from him before it escalates even more. If ma Eunji was able to help her mom, then surely Ari can help her friend get rid of her ex. She’ll do whatever it takes.

She sighed and shut her locker, before turning around and leaving the area. She had to meet up with her parents, and the fact that her mom called her to meet up out of the blue meant that she was on to something and there was no escape for Ari this time, even if she wanted to.

Ari turned the corner and headed straight for Baekhyun’s office. After a knock, she reached for the knob and turned it, opening the door and walking inside. Her parents smiled the moment she walked inside and motioned her to join them at the table. As she approached she hugged both of them and sat down. Baekhyun slid a cup of coffee in front of her and leaned back in his chair.

“Just the way you like it,” He winked.

“Thanks,” She smiled. “So, what’s up?”

“You tell us,” Areum took a sip out of the coffee as she looked at her. “You are distant… is everything alright?”

“You know that you can tell us anything,” Baekhyun said.

She nodded. “Well… my friend is in a type of trouble.”

“What kind of trouble?” Areum asked.

“You guys know Jessica, right?”

They nodded.

“She broke up with her boyfriend… but he is stalking her,” Ari explained. “I want to help her.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter