XIX - Going Back

Choosing You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

It's past lunchtime and Yuri doesn't have anything to do since it's her day off from the diner. Her friends are busy with their schedules so she's left alone at the penthouse. She tried watching TV and movies earlier but it bored her quickly. She's not in the mood to play her guitar or piano. She's at the terrace smoking. That's the only thing that interests her right now.

She just lit up another stick when the door opened.

"Hi, Bud!" Taeyeon greeted as she walked to the terrace. Yuri didn't hear her because of the pop music being played on her Bluetooth speaker.

Taeyeon stood at the open window frame. Staring at Yuri's back then suddenly, smoke was released in the air, surprising her. It's been so long since the last time she saw Yuri smoking. She shakes her head then smiles.

"Ya!" She yelled. Yuri was startled, holding her chest with a hand.

She joins her best friend resting her arms on the railings. 

"You're smoking again?!" She mocked.

Yuri felt shy putting down on her side the hand with a cigarette then scratching her head lightly. She smiled back in shame.

"C'mon, give me one stick." Taeyeon giggles.

Her best friend looked at her in surprise then both of them laughed.

"Thought you're going to stop me!" Yuri lit up her friend's cigar.

"Why would I?" She puffs the stick then blows the smoke around. "God! I miss this!"

Yuri chuckles then shakes her head. "I can see that Kim."

They both stood there just looking at the day city view while they puff their cigarettes. They were like this when they're in college. Taeyeon would spend the afternoon at Yuri's roof deck apartment and just smoke. They could finish a shared pack the entire afternoon.

"I miss this Bud." Taeyeon expressed after she took a deep breath. "We're so old!"

They both laughed remembering the days when they were young, wild, and free.

 

"So, why did you do it?" A sudden question from Taeyeon as always.

Yuri's forehead crinkles. "Do what?"

"Kwon, you know exactly what I'm talking about. Do you want me to ask for the details?"

Yuri sighed in defeat. Nobody in this world knows her better than Kim Taeyeon.

"I don't know. Well, if she didn't want to do it, I wouldn't have done it."

"And?"

Her best friend looks at her again in confusion.

"Bud, c'mon. What's your plan? Between you two? And of course, Jess?"

Yuri sighed heavily. "With Sef? We're back to that for sure."

"Enlightened me again Bud, what happened before." Taeyeon puffs her stick for the last time then presses it on the ashtray. "I forgot about it already. You remember for sure."

"Of course," Yuri blew the smoke then pressed her cigarette on the tray. "how can I ever forget? All I know is we both have feelings for each other, though it was never discussed. We go out together. I'd sleep at her place and the same goes for her but you know, nothing happens more than eating and watching or just doing anything. Last night was the first and definitely the last."

Taeyeon pouts, nodding to her friend.

"We would walk on the streets holding each other's hands. We'd call and text each other every day. We almost kissed, remember?

"Yeah, I remember you told me that, but it rained."

"Yes, it rained," Yuri chuckles. "so we ran quickly to a shed. We were a little embarrassed but it felt good. Then things changed for me. That sudden stardom. My schedule got packed week after week. But, it didn't bother us. We continued whatever we started."

"I remember when you called me to fetch you to the airport at two in the morning then went straight to her apartment. Wah...." The woman shakes her head. "You were so full of her that time! Yet, you always denied."

They both smiled remembering that moment.

"Then, I get to sign for B&E. Jess and I traveled a lot of times and worked together every single time. We adjusted to that. She understood. That's what she said. And every time I'd visit the café she'd always looked so excited seeing me. Then, the fandom came. She's starting to receive negative comments here and there and I felt sorry for her."

Yuri turns to rest her back on the glass parapet, both hands on the pocket of her sweatpants.

"Until one time, we were having dinner at a restaurant. I was supposed to bring her to Haneul Park after dinner to ask if she could be my girlfriend. She's been asking me to go there with her. I was ready to say my first I love you to her. Then, Jessica came with some of her friends. They saw us and it was fine. It was a simple hi and hello.

Sef had a sudden change of mood. She's starting to tell me things about my future girlfriend. That it should be someone with the same level as I am. A celebrity or a public figure so it won't be hard to understand the kind of life I have. That it should be someone who's willing to go out in public with me without thinking if there'll be people who will hate us or whatever. She even said it should be Jess since everyone's linking us already. After dinner, I took her to her place because she said she's not feeling good. I wanted to stay but she told me not to, so I left.

She became cold after. It was the last Goodnight message I got from her. And whenever I have the time to do a shift at the café, she's never there. One time, I just tried my luck. I visited The Brewed after their shift and there, I saw her. I was supposed to treat them for dinner but she left. She said she's meeting someone."

They both sighed deeply. Tiffany is her 'almost' and will always be.

 

Taeyeon turns too with the same position as Yuri's. Both her elbows are resting on the bar. "And how did things work out?"

"The week-long fan meeting at the cafe that Sooyoung organized."

Her best friend nods, with forming an 'o' remembering the moment.

"She didn't have a choice but to talk to me during the preparation until she became comfortable with me again. We were back to how we were less being sweet to each other and the moments of just us two."

Her best friend turns to face her. Her side rests on the railings with an arm on top of it.

"I get it. I know what you felt when you did that last night." Yuri looks at her. "Remember? I also did that once when Heize and I broke up."

"What?!" That new information surprised Yuri. She then turns to face her best friend.

"Bud, I told you about it. I never keep anything from you. You know that."

"I don't remember, sorry."

Taeyeon sighed annoyed, then rolled her eyes.

"Remember the girl I dated before her? The writer?" Yuri looks at her with a dumb expression. " Kwon. The writer I dated for half a year I guess. And just like you and Fany, she also gave up on me when I'm starting to build my name in the industry. When we saw each other again, we were both in grief. Both had a ed up relationship. We spent the whole weekend and... I don't know. It felt so right that tim

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter