XIV - The Unexpected

Choosing You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The ride from the B&E shop to The Diner was silent. No one dared to talk except for Sooyoung and Tiffany who received phone calls. Yuri continues to look outside the window. Drowned with her thoughts, it's going to take some time for her to float again and breathe. They're expecting Taeyeon, Sunny, and Hyoyeon to join them for dinner and hopefully, they can have Yuri back in her mood.

Even if it is Friday night, the diner isn't packed. Mina Eomma is just sitting at the counter watching on her smartphone. Most of the customers are teenagers. Two tables are occupied with elderly people.

"Eomma!!!" Yuri yelled cheerfully the moment she entered the diner. Mina Eomma looked surprised and rushed to Yuri giving her a tight hug. Yuri bowed and waved to the customers as she heard her name being called.

"Tired?"

"Not really mom, I'm okay." Yuri smiled at her and kissed her forehead. "Sef is here mom."

Mina Eomma greeted Tiffany and Sooyoung with a hug and Taeyeon had just arrived with Heize and Sunny.

"Mom, what is this?" Yuri got curious seeing a beautiful big bouquet of white roses mixed with various flowers on the counter. Next to it is a black box, as big as a shoebox with the logo of B&E on the center and a white ribbon tied to it.

"Ouch!" Yuri touched her forehead when her mom flicked.

"What do you mean what is this?" Her mom asked. "Who do you think that is from?"

"I don't know mom." Yuri answered looking dumb.

"Jessica! Read the note."

With furrowed brows, Yuri flipped the card and saw Jessica's handwriting.

Hi Mina Eomma!

How are you? I've missed you so much.

I'm sorry that Yuri couldn't help you at the diner today. I had to borrow her for work, I'm really sorry.

This is for you! I hope you like it. I chose this myself when I thought about you.

I promise to not tire her too much and I hope I can see you anytime soon. I miss your food!

Take care always!

Love, Sica

Yuri was left with no words to say. She put back the card and took a deep breath.

"Why didn't you tell me that you're working together today?"

"Sorry mom, I've been busy." Yuri said, forcing a smile.

"You should have told me so I can cook for her. But never mind, I already invited her."

"What?" Yuri's brows furrowed.

"Yes," Mina Eomma held her waist then walked towards the long table. Everyone else followed and occupied the seats. "I invited her. She's just attending a meeting so she'll be here a little later."

Yuri nodded. Her friends couldn't say a thing. Looking at Yuri who's having a serious expression, they couldn't do anything but to let her.

"Aigoo! Why did you leave her there? You should have waited like you always do! What's happening to you my Yul?" her mom asked with both hands on her waist.

"Sorry mom, I just couldn't wait to see you." Yuri looked at her then smiled but it didn't reach her eyes.

"It's okay. What's good is that she's coming over. I'll prepare your food now." Mina Eomma said then left.

 

The table is silent. All of them are exchanging glances except for Yuri whose eyes are pinned on the table. Tiffany who's sitting across Yuri continues to stare at her with worry. Taeyeon clears that caught the attention of the others but she just looks at them with wide eyes and mouthed 'Nothing!'.

During the shoot, Sooyoung was able to inform Taeyeon, Sunny, and Hyoyeon through a group video call about what happened to Yuri. They are even more worried since this is the first time it happened, and they thought it has gotten worse. They couldn't think if this is worse than the nightmares or they're just the same. At least with nightmares, they get to wake her up and calm her down easily. Yuri can get back to her senses in an instant but this is different. What else can still happen after this? Can they still handle this?

Their table is starting to fill with utensils and side dishes. Sodas in a can are put on the table too. It didn't distract Yuri as she continued to stare at the table.

Yuri sighed and shrugged off her thoughts. "What time is Hyo coming?" She looks at Sooyoung beside her.

"Oh," Sooyoung was surprised by Yuri's sudden question. She looked at Taeyeon across from her but the woman didn't know what to say.

"She's near Yul," Sunny answered who's sitting at the head of the table next to Yuri. "It's just traffic. Don't worry, she'll be here anytime soon."

Among their group, it's always Sunny who seemed to always have control over her emotions. Of course, she's worried, but most of the time, she wouldn't show it just so the empathy is balanced. She's always been the one who weighs things first then makes a decision. At times, her friends think that she really doesn't care about what's happening around her. But, the truth is, she's also thinking about those. She just really doesn't want to put too much focus on one thing so she can still converge on the other things too.

Yuri nodded. "By the way, congratulations Heize for your new album."

"Oh, thanks Yul." They both smiled at each other. "I have the copies in the car. I'll give them to you all later."

"Yes!!!" Sunny yelled. "Congrats Heize!"

All of them cheered. Somehow the mood lightens up. They continue to talk about Heize's projects and the things that happened to them the whole day except for the shoot that Yuri did. It was never mentioned. It doesn't need to. Their conversation continues as the table is now filled with dishes that they'll share. Taeyeon got teased when they found out that she hasn't given Heize any congratulatory gift until today, which is not usually her. Sooyoung got teased too, asking her many times if she's certainly sure that she's getting married. She keeps on repeating that they can't miss that day or else they'll die.

 

"Sica-yah!" Mina Eomma yelled with joy. Jessica has just entered the diner and she immediately received Mina Eomma's warm hug.

Yuri suddenly stopped eating out of surprise. Her hands start to shake again. Tiffany was the only one who noticed since their friends are too focused on Mina Eomma and Jessica who are still talking happily at the counter. Tiffany holds Yuri's shaking hand that grips the spoon. Yuri looked at her and Tiffany just smiled at her.

"Breathe." She says.

Yuri sighed in relief. "Thank you." She closed her eyes and started to take deep breaths. Tiffany lets go of her hold and just stares at Yuri feeling relieved.

"Yuri-yah! Your Love is here!" Her mom says she and Jessica are both standing beside her.

Yuri opened her eyes and took a last deep breath. She looked at her mom then smiled. She stood up to face them.

"Hi, Love." Jessica greeted with a smile.

Yuri smiled bitterly then hugged her lightly. "Hi." Both of them are clinging to each other's arms after the hug.

"What Yuri? Are you okay? Are you sick?" Her mom asked as she noti

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter