Chapter 9

The Fox and The Vampire

Daeyeol ended up carrying Bomin on his back the rest of the way to Montreal after Bomin collapsed from exhaustion after a hunt. Sungyeol now had the bag on his back as they made their way up to Montreal after Bomin was secure on Daeyeol's back.

"Next time you're carrying him," said Daeyeol as he listened to Bomin mumbling in his sleep. "What, is the fox too heavy for you?" Asked Sungyeol. "Please," said Daeyeol. "It's just nice to have my hands free for once," he said.

"We're almost there," said Sungyeol as they stopped at the borders between the two countries to let Daeyeol adjust Bomin on his back again. "I know," said Daeyeol. "But why does it feel like we're about to walk into something big?" He asked.

"Lou's there right? He's Ace's fox," said Sungyeol. "Yes, but I have a feeling we'll be running into something else while getting our papers," said Daeyeol. "Hm," hummed Sungyeol.

 

~



A short while later they entered Montreal, with Daeyeol waking Bomin up so he could let him down, letting Bomin stretch after he was on his feet. Sungyeol handed Daeyeol his bag and Daeyeol slung it across his back before they entered the city with Daeyeol at the lead.

Ace met them outside a building, with Ayno flanking him like usual. Bomin eyed Ayno before shaking his head and taking a step back, staying back a bit further than Daeyeol and Sungyeol who had turned to Bomin in confusion.

"You've figured it out then fox," said Ace as he watched Bomin before turning to Daeyeol. "It's hard to not notice the fact that Ayno grew his first tail," said Bomin as he shrugged. "I'm just respecting his space, unlike Lou apparently," he said with a scoff.

"It's not my fault you decided to show up without letting us know ahead of time," came Lou's voice as he walked up behind them with Ziu and Baron.

"I thought we did," said Daeyeol as Bomin growled at Lou, the tension rising between the two of them. "Leave them be Lou," said Ace. "They're only here for their papers," he said.

"I got them," said Baron as he stepped forward, handing the papers to Bomin who took them and handed them to Daeyeol who immediately put them into the bag.

"Now get out," said Ace. "Oi," said Sungyeol. "We just got here and you're kicking us out of the city already?" He asked. "It's okay," said Bomin as he sighed. "I was expecting something like this," he said.

"The foxes are very territorial," said Ace. "I'm sure you understand," he said. "I do," hummed Bomin. "Along with all the action going on between here, Toronto, Ithaca and surrounding cities," he added. "It's best to just stay out of this side of North America," said Ace. "Return to Europe if you can, but stay out of this part of the world for a while," he said.

"Let's go then," said Daeyeol as he took a step back, backing down for the time being. Sungyeol had no choice but to agree, sighing as he and Bomin looked at Daeyeol who turned to them before moving passed Bomin and towards Lou. Lou, Baron and Ziu moved out of the way, letting Daeyeol walk passed them. Bomin and Sungyeol followed after him, Bomin bumping shoulders with Lou as he walked passed Lou. Lou stayed where he was, watching the three of them leave.

 

~



"Why were we forced to leave?" asked Sungyeol as they were wandering the forest outside of Montreal trying to figure out what to do next. "I've never felt so much hostility from those three," said Daeyeol as he watched Bomin walk ahead of them with his hands intertwined behind his back. "Bomin was prepared for a fight," he said. "Really?" Asked Sungyeol.

"If he was in his fox form Bomin would've been more vocal in his distrust for Lou after what he had done," said Daeyeol. "I could feel it through the contract how pissed he was at Lou," he said.

"What happened between those two?" Asked Sungyeol. "I don't know," said Daeyeol. "This was before I acquired him," he added. "How many tails does Lou even have?" Asked Sungyeol. "According to the last encounter we had with him, 4," said Daeyeol. "Him and Youngtaek combined would've given Geumhyuk enough power to overthrow a fox with all nine tails," he said.

"Is there anyone with all nine tails left alive?" Asked Sungyeol. "Bomin would know," said Daeyeol as Bomin turned his head to look at them. "Know what?" Asked Bomin.

"The existence of others with all 9 tails," said Daeyeol. "There was me and one other person for a long time," said Bomin. "I'm sure there's others by now at least," he added. "But we're a dying species," he said.

"Outside of everyone we know that's a fox, is there anyone else you know outside of this?" Asked Sungyeol. "Honestly? I haven't run into another new fox in years," said Bomin. "Russia is where they hide now according to Yuri," he said. "But I personally haven't run into anyone new in years," he said.

 

~



After hours of just wandering around outside of Montreal Daeyeol decided to move on. As they left the Canadian border behind going back into New York they ran into Yeosang and Mingi and Mingi was left to keep Bomin company while Yeosang invited the two brothers to hunt.

"Yeosang seems more frazzled than usual," said Bomin as he and Mingi perched on a cliff overlooking a small lake. "Toronto's situation is stressing everyone out," said Mingi as he shrugged. "Yunho and Gunmin disappeared off the radar after what happened, and Hyojin is worried that MK might too," he said.

"The subpacks are in chaos aren't they?" Asked Bomin. "Why wouldn't they be?" Asked Mingi. "They put their trust into Kris, and it came back to bite them in the ," he said. "Yeosang hasn't heard from Hongjoong in weeks, and Hyojin's choosing to stick with JR but I don't know how long that's going to last," he said. "At least Yixing and Yedam are fine, but I don't know," he said.

"All I gotta say is, it's good that Jaemin and Yuto are out of the city right now," said Mingi. Bomin hummed in response.