Chapter 5

The Fox and The Vampire

Seattle.

That was where they currently were as Daeyeol was getting thirsty. Bomin was wondering what was going through Daeyeol's head at the moment, the silence was not unusual but the uncharacteristically dark aura surrounding Daeyeol was very unusual.

"We can't hunt humans here," said Bomin as he put a hand on Daeyeol's shoulder. "I know," said Daeyeol as he sighed. "I need to get a charger for the phone," he said. "And a bag, to carry our things in," he said. "I won't be long okay?" He asked, turning to Bomin.

"Don't do anything stupid," said Bomin. "I won't," said Daeyeol before he walked off, heading to the nearest mall. Bomin watched him go before sighing and going to walk around Seattle.

"Your friend seems like he's barely able to hold on," came a voice as JR walked over, stopping in front of Bomin. "He won't be a problem will he?" He asked. "Daeyeol needs time," said Bomin as he shrugged. "His brother was killed, he'll bounce back eventually," he said. "Sungyeol huh? I didn't interact much with him, but from what I've seen, he was a good person," said JR. "Mm," hummed Bomin.

"So you moved back to Seattle I see," said Bomin as he walked with JR. "We had to," said JR. "Jinyoung said it was easier to do so, since Toronto isn't a good place to be right now," he said. "Even Yedam and Byungchan's packs moved further out of the Toronto area," he said.

"Chani had to stay I heard," said Bomin. "He had no choice," said JR. "If we left Toronto undefended it would've caused a lot more chaos," he said. "He claimed ownership over Toronto though, to quell the chaos just a bit," he said.

"I guess it backfired, if Sungyeol was killed," said Bomin. "Some things just don't work out," said JR as he scratched the back of his head. "I'm not saying that his death couldn't've been prevented, but sometimes these things just happen," he said.

 

~



"I find you talking with the pack leader huh?" Asked Daeyeol as he approached Bomin and JR who were leaning against a building still talking. Bomin turned to Daeyeol who now had a cross body bag around his shoulder. "You got the bag you needed then?" He asked. "Yep, completely waterproof, and I found a charger for the phone," said Daeyeol.

"Sungyeol gave you a phone?" Asked JR. "Mhm," said Daeyeol. "I have his number saved, along with the rest of Chani's coven and Ace's coven's saved," he said. "And Seongyoon and Jangjun's numbers saved," he said.

"Well, I would delete Sungyeol's number but I feel like it's better if I saved it for now," said Daeyeol. "Who knows who ends up with his number next," he said.

"We should get going then," said Bomin. "You still need to hunt I believe," he added. Daeyeol sighed. "I guess," he said. "Have a good hunt then," said JR. "I suggest an animal for the time being though, from here eastward is other territories that require animals, unless you're Eunki or are looking for blood dens," he said. "I hate blood dens," growled Daeyeol. "But thanks, I'll keep that in mind," he said.

"Be careful," said JR as Daeyeol turned and left with Bomin. Daeyeol waved his left hand in goodbye as JR watched them go, sighing before turning and heading home.

 

~



Hunting always seemed better when Bomin was there hunting with him, Daeyeol soon came to realize. Bomin didn't have to hunt every time, but it was easier to concentrate on what Daeyeol was hunting when Bomin was helping him.

They were currently somewhere in Colorado, near where Sunggyu lived with his mate Cory and the rest of his pack. Daeyeol didn't want to spend any more time in the presence of other species than he had to, so he stayed clear of the territory that belonged to the werewolves that owned part of the state.

"I didn't think you'd actually show up," said Sunggyu as he met Daeyeol and Bomin at the pond just north of the pack house that Sunggyu lived at.

"We came this close," said Daeyeol. "But I don't want to be in the presence of the werewolves at the moment," he said. "Even if they already know I'm here," he added, staring out at the water. "Bomin just needed to rest so," he said, shrugging as he motioned to the sleeping fox nearby.

"How long are you gonna be around?" Asked Sunggyu. "Probably a day, I need to find a place to charge the phone," said Daeyeol. "We have a guest house you know," said Sunggyu. "Are they fine with me just stinking up the place?" Asked Daeyeol as he turned to Sunggyu.

"I live with them don't I?" Asked Sunggyu as he sighed. "Come on, it's fine," he said.

"On one condition," said Daeyeol. "Can you tell me more about my brother?" He asked. "I feel like I've missed out on so much with him since we've been apart," he said. Sunggyu smiled softly. "Sure," he said. "You need a chance to just finish grieving," he said.

"Did you hunt?" Asked Daeyeol. "I'm fine," said Sunggyu as he nodded. "Wake up the fox and we'll head back," he said. Daeyeol went to do so, gently shaking Bomin to wake him up. "Bomin," said Daeyeol as said fox jolted awake, yawning as he lifted his head. "Come on, Sunggyu said we can stay at the guest house," he said. Bomin got to his feet, stretching as he returned to his human form when Daeyeol stepped away.

"We can stay at the guest house?" Asked Bomin. "I'm sure they won't mind," said Sunggyu. "I don't think anyone is staying there at the moment anyway," he said. "I'll have to let Changkyun know you're there for a day first," he said, taking out his phone and checking the time.

"I think they're still awake," said Daeyeol. "Probably, come on," said Sunggyu before he headed back to the house. Daeyeol and Bomin followed after him.

 

~



After getting permission to stay in the guest house Bomin went to sleep in one of the rooms, flopping down on one of the beds and falling asleep immediately. Daeyeol checked up on him, covering him with a blanket before going to sit in the livingroom with Sunggyu who the tv and had it at a low volume for background noise.

"Didn't this place used to be the old pack house?" Asked Daeyeol as he looked around. "It did," hummed Sunggyu. "I see why they moved next door," said Daeyeol as he shook his head. "Mm," hummed Sunggyu.

"So what was my brother like?" Asked Daeyeol as he went to plug the phone in, letting it sit on the table beside the couch. "Well," said Sunggyu as he started recounting stories about Sungyeol and their adventures with him in the coven.