Chapter 2

The Fox and The Vampire

Sungyeol met them outside of Yuto's Starbucks, crossing his arms over his chest when Daeyeol walked over, standing in front of his brother. "What?" Asked Daeyeol. "It's good to see you too," Sungyeol said with a small bit of sarcasm, though the slight upturn of his lips showed how happy he was to see Daeyeol again. Daeyeol scoffed, the amusement heard loud and clear as he rubbed the back of his neck with his left hand.

"Still got the fox I see," said Sungyeol as he walked into the Starbucks with Daeyeol. "Bomin is a good kid though," said Daeyeol. "I'm not saying he isn't," said Sungyeol as he shook his head. "Sure sure," said Daeyeol as Sungyeol sat down, causing Daeyeol to sit across from him.

"How was the trip?" Asked Sungyeol. "Fine," said Daeyeol. "Bomin got hungry when we landed so he went hunting," he said. "Humans?" Asked Sungyeol. "No," said Daeyeol. "Bomin finds that hunting animals gives his fox self more satisfaction," he said, shrugging. "Of course, a fox is an animal," said Sungyeol as he leaned back in his chair.

 

~



Bomin was hunting, his fox side letting out an appreciative growl at the mere mention of deer meat. Or caribou. Or anything by this point. He had been silently stalking after his prey when footsteps interrupted his train of thought, causing Bomin to look up and spot Jinyoung sprinting past after a buck. Well, there went the herd.

"Damn it," he said, changing on the spot and chasing after one of the many deer that ran off. He managed to launch himself at a doe, tackling it and tumbling over and over on the ground a few times until he finally managed to snap its neck, jumping away with a huff as he nearly got squished by the bigger animal.

Jinyoung stopped by to make sure Bomin did get his deer, looking apologetic before leaving. Bomin had simply ignored him, going straight back to eating and tearing his meal apart as the fox side of him took over.

 

~



"So that's it huh?" Asked Sungyeol as Daeyeol finished telling him the news. "That's all Moonbin told me to tell you," said Daeyeol as he shrugged. "I don't know how things are gonna go from here," said Sungyeol. "But I'll pass along the message," he added. "Seungwoo should be here soon, so you can pass on the message for Chan," he said.

"Chani's already decided to stay here," said Sungyeol. "So whatever happens, we're staying," he said. "I'd recommend leaving your papers and stuff with Ace though," he said. "He's not involved with this mess thankfully," he said. "I'll stop by his place before leaving," said Daeyeol. "Does Chani mind if we spend the night? Bomin wants to finally be able to sleep in an actual bed for once," he said.

"I don't think he'll mind," said Sungyeol. "We can spend the night hunting or something," he said, shrugging, earning a scoff from Daeyeol. "Yeah," hummed Daeyeol.

"What, don't wanna spend the night with your older brother?" Asked Sungyeol. "I don't," Daeyeol said, the corners of his lips twitching upward as he looked forward to spending more time with Sungyeol. "The others are gonna think we hate each other," said Sungyeol as he chuckled some. "Let them," said Daeyeol as he got up. "I'll see you later then," he said, leaving the coffee shop.

 

~



Bomin sighed as he finished washing himself off, shaking out his fur before returning to human form. He was glad for one thing, at least his clothes stayed when he fully got all nine tails. Nine tails. Well, there went that happy moment.

Bomin made his way back to Toronto, feeling the pull of his contract leading him not to the Starbucks like he had expected, but towards the coffee shop that was owned by Ace and his coven. Things must've been worse than he thought if Sungyeol had sent Daeyeol there to drop off their papers.

Bomin entered the coffee shop, spotting Baron talking with Daeyeol who was the only one working at the moment.

"Things have really changed," said Daeyeol as he sighed. "Toronto is experiencing a shift in power, of course everything will change," said Baron. "I'll keep your papers safe, just be careful as you leave and enter Toronto," he said. "I'll keep that in mind," said Daeyeol.

"Bomin," said Daeyeol as he turned to face Bomin. "Did you have a good hunt?" He asked. "Well, I was kind of interrupted, but I managed," said Bomin as he shrugged. "Probably Jinyoung again, he tends to hunt around now to avoid the others," said Baron. "Don't mind him though, that's just how Jinyoung is," he said. Bomin nodded.

"We have a place to stay for a bit, before we move on," said Daeyeol. "Oh?" Asked Bomin. "Sungyeol said it was okay to stay over at their place?" He asked. "I'll have to hunt animals again while here, but yes," said Daeyeol. "You always hated the taste of animal blood," Bomin said with a sigh. "I'll manage," said Daeyeol. "I'm sure," said Bomin.

"I'll see you when you decide to return to Europe then," said Baron. "Yeah," hummed Daeyeol before leaving with Bomin.

 

~



"I passed on your message to Seungwoo by the way," said Sungyeol as he was hunting with Daeyeol. "What'd he say?" Asked Daeyeol. "He'll pass on the message to Chan, but I'm sure Chan wants to be with his brother right now," said Sungyeol. "Chani isn't happy to have to send off Yuto, but I think he'll have to for a few weeks or so," he said.

"Yuto hasn't seen Sanha in months, from what I've heard," said Daeyeol as he paused by a tree. "Which is why Chani may send him off to Berlin with Chan," said Sungyeol as he stopped beside Daeyeol. "We'll just have to wait on what Chan says," he said.

"And the pup?" Asked Daeyeol as he rushed forward towards a herd of deer and pouncing, tackling the biggest doe and biting into its neck, draining it quickly. Sungyeol quickly went after a buck and tackled it, draining it quickly before responding. "Chani doesn't want to send him off yet, but Jungwoo and Jeno said it was fine for him to head on over," he said after dropping the dead buck onto the ground. Daeyeol hummed, dropping the doe he had been drinking from to the ground and standing, facing his brother.

"What's wrong?" Asked Sungyeol as he blinked, tilting his head to the side. Daeyeol tackled Sungyeol who quickly caught him, surprised at the sudden movement. "Don't die on me okay?" Asked Daeyeol as he hugged Sungyeol tightly. "You're the only family I have left," he said, his voice quiet yet full of so much sadness that it caused Sungyeol to wrap his arms around Daeyeol, returning the hug.

"Don't worry," said Sungyeol. "I may not have a fox like you do, but I got a great mate in Hui," he said. "He's an idiot, but he's just as protective over me as Bomin is over you," he said, earning a laugh from Daeyeol as he moved away.