Chapter 4

The Fox and The Vampire

It was close to morning when Sungyeol's door opened and Sungyeol walked in to see Daeyeol still staring up at the ceiling in his thoughts while Bomin was still sleeping beside him. "Having fun?" Asked Sungyeol as Daeyeol sat up. "Not really," said Daeyeol as he shrugged, looking over at Bomin who mumbled something in his sleep again before turning over.

"He's been mumbling in his sleep most of the night," said Daeyeol as he got up, stretching. "I'm surprised no one came in wondering who was talking in their sleep," he said. "Chani probably let them know," said Sungyeol. "Probably," hummed Daeyeol.

"You leaving today?" Asked Sungyeol. "That was the plan," hummed Daeyeol. "At least take this," said Sungyeol as he handed Daeyeol a phone. Daeyeol looked at it, blinking in surprise. "At least this time we'll be able to keep in touch instead of me waiting on a visit," said Sungyeol.

"Yeah, we all know you hate it when I visit," said Daeyeol as he put the phone in his pocket. "Please, I can't wait to see you finally leave this place," Sungyeol said with a scoff. "Can you two just not bicker this early in the morning?" Groaned Bomin as he sat up, glaring at the two brothers.

Daeyeol turned to Bomin, raising an eyebrow as Bomin continued glaring at him. "I wasn't the one talking in my sleep most of the night," said Daeyeol. "At least I wasn't stuck awake for the whole night," said Bomin as he got up, stretching.

"Enough," said Chani as he stood in the doorway. "I believe it's time for you two to leave anyway," he said. "Can I at least get a shower before I go," said Bomin. "I suppose," said Chani. "Your clothes is still stashed in my closet somewhere," said Sungyeol as he turned to Bomin who quickly rushed to the closet to pick out an outfit before rushing into the bathroom to take a much needed shower.

"I don't suppose I can get a change of clothes either?" Asked Daeyeol. "I guess," said Sungyeol as he sighed. Daeyeol went to do so, waiting on Bomin to finish with his shower before going to shower.

"You're happy," said Chani as he went to sit outside with Sungyeol. "I haven't seen Daeyeol in months, can you blame me?" Asked Sungyeol as he turned to Chani. "It's too bad I can't ask him to join us," he said, sighing. "He already belongs to a coven?" asked Chani. "Unofficially yes," said Sungyeol.

"At least you got a phone for him to talk to you now," said Chani. "Mhm," hummed Sungyeol.

 

~



When Daeyeol and Bomin got ready to go Sungyeol followed them to the outskirts of the property, wishing he could go further but he had to go straight to Toronto after they left.

"Stay safe yeah?" Asked Sungyeol as he stopped, watching as Daeyeol stopped a few feet in front of him before turning around. Bomin had done the same, turning around to face Sungyeol. "You stay safe too," said Daeyeol.

"Keep my brother out of trouble fox," said Sungyeol as he turned to Bomin who scoffed. "I think your brother gets into trouble regardless of what I do," said Bomin. "Oi," whined Daeyeol as he scowled at Bomin. "Don't tell him that, he'll force me to stay," he said.

"Forge your own path, you can't live in my shadow forever," said Sungyeol as he let a genuine smile cross his face. Daeyeol turned and grinned back, tackling Sungyeol for one last hug. "Stay alive for me okay?" He asked, hugging Sungyeol. "I will," said Sungyeol. "Keep in touch okay? I didn't hand you the phone for no reason," he said, hugging Daeyeol back.

Daeyeol was the first to move away, albeit reluctantly as he did so. Sungyeol patted him on the head before turning and walking back to the house. Daeyeol watched him go for a second before turning and sprinting off, Bomin soon following after him.

Sungyeol turned back, watching Daeyeol disappear from view with a small smile before turning and continuing back to the house.

 

~



Daeyeol stayed in Canada for the most part, getting a feel for the country again as he and Bomin went from place to place.

It was a few weeks later when Daeyeol and Bomin were in Vancouver when he received the news.

"Wh-What?" Asked Daeyeol as he held the phone up to his ear. "I"m sorry to bring you bad news but your brother was killed," said Chani as he let out a soft sigh. "He died saving Hui from getting killed," he said. "Of course he'd die doing that," Daeyeol said quietly, a sob escaping him as he let his hand that was holding the phone fall into his lap.

Bomin looked concerned as he took the phone from Daeyeol to continue talking to Chani. "So what do you think we should do?" He asked. "Stay out of Toronto, if you must leave North America Ace has moved his coven to Montreal for now," said Chani. "Your papers should still be with them," he said. "Okay," said Bomin.

"I'm sorry, I really am," said Chani. "Sungyeol was a good person," he said. "I know," said Bomin as he hung up the phone. He turned to Daeyeol who was sobbing now as he fell to his knees. Bomin was lost, but he brought Daeyeol into a comforting hug, letting Daeyeol sob out his grief into his chest.

"He said he would," said Daeyeol after he had calmed down some. "He said he would survive this," he said. "Accidents happen," said Bomin. "We just have to try and not join him," he said. "What a stupid thing to say," Daeyeol said with a sigh. "But yes, I agree," he said.

"We have to forge our own path right? I think he knew," said Bomin. "There's no way he could've known," said Daeyeol. "There's a possibility that it was one of the outcomes," said Bomin. "You know how stupid Toronto got when we left," he said.

"Let's just go," said Daeyeol. "I don't want to stay in Canada anymore," he said. "Sure," said Bomin as he moved away, helping Daeyeol stand. "We'll come back for something that belongs to Sungyeol when things die down," he said. Daeyeol nodded, and went to leave Vancouver, with Bomin following after him.