Chapter 7

The Fox and The Vampire

There was always something nostalgic about entering Chicago, despite the fact that Daeyeol almost never spent more than a day in the city. Bomin returned to his human form when they were on the outskirts, and Daeyeol and Eunki let him get used to being in human form again before heading into the city with Bomin following after them.

As they reached the house where MJ lived Eunki split away from them to get his one hunt in saying that he'd be back afterwards.

"Hey you two," said MJ as he opened the door. "Kevin's out back on the dock," he said. "Can we come in or do we have to walk around?" Asked Daeyeol. "Come on in," said MJ as he moved to let them in and point to where the back door was. "Go through the kitchen, it's just in the hallway by the stairs," he said. Daeyeol and Bomin walked through the house and outside, spotting Kevin, Youngtaek and a familiar figure who had his back turned to them standing on the dock overlooking lake Michigan.

"Kevin, Youngtaek," called Daeyeol as he walked over. Kevin waved, and Youngtaek nodded his head in greeting. The third person turned around and Daeyeol paused in surprise while Bomin blinked in surprise as he stopped in his tracks.

"S-Sungyeol?" Asked Daeyeol. "The one and only," said Sungyeol as he smirked. Daeyeol blinked, scoffing. "Okay, continue being a stuck up prick," he said. Bomin nudged him forward and Daeyeol dropped the act and sprinted forward, tackling Sungyeol and bring him into a bone crushing hug. Sungyeol chuckled softly as he hugged Daeyeol back.

Bomin turned to Youngtaek who shrugged. "I didn't think you had it in you," said Bomin, earning a scoff from Youngtaek. "It was Kevin's idea," said Youngtaek.

"I did this because I wanted to pay you back for bringing Yoohyeon to us," he said as Daeyeol moved away from Sungyeol to turn to Kevin. "You wanted to pay us back for that?" Asked Daeyeol.

"I wanted to find a way to pay you back for that," said Kevin. "I wasn't sure what I was going to do," he added. "But after everything that happened in Toronto I figured that I would pay you back in this way," he said.

"I gave up one of my tails for that," said Youngtaek. Bomin blinked in surprise, though his expression remained blank. "I won't do anything," said Youngtaek. "The contract is there til I die anyway," he added. "There's always a but to a fox's contract," said Bomin.

"What was the exchange for this?" Asked Daeyeol as he understoond what Bomin was saying. "Nothing," said Kevin. "I'm free to live out my life as long as Youngtaek doesn't get himself killed," said Sungyeol.

Bomin eyed Youngtaek who stared right back, looking for any fault in their reasoning. "Why don't you two go hunt?" Asked Kevin as he broke the tension between the two foxes. "I'm sure Bomin's getting hungry from his trip here," he added. Bomin scoffed, shaking his head. "Come on then fox," he said. "Oi, I am still faster than you," Youngtaek said, scowling before he and Bomin ran off to hunt.

"Did Yuto and Chan make it back to Germany?" Asked Daeyeol as he turned to Kevin. "I literally watched them get on the plane," said Kevin as he shrugged. "I was there as a guide dog with Youngtaek so," he said, shrugging again. "When it was said and done I went to see about bringing Sungyeol back," he said.

"Well," said Sungyeol. "I need to hunt, want to join me?" He asked. Daeyeol blinked. "Sure," he said. "Can you keep up with me old man?" He asked with a smirk. "Oi," said Sungyeol. "I'm not that much older than you," he said. "Come on then," said Daeyeol before he left, going to hunt. Sungyeol ran after him, leaving Kevin to stand on the dock and watch them go, a soft chuckle escaping him before he turned back to look out at the water.

 

~



Youngtaek and Bomin made it a game, the both of them running through the forest near the house to try and find something. Bomin was more inclined to hunt animals than Youngtaek, but they both made it a game to find the biggest game to go after.

Youngtaek ended up finding a rabbit, which was fine with him, but Bomin pushed to find something bigger. Bomin followed the pull of his contract and ended up near the two brothers as Youngtaek joined him, the four of them near a herd of deer. A silent signal went between Youngtaek and Bomin and they both tag teamed a deer, pouncing on it and scattering the herd.

Daeyeol and Sungyeol rushed to get their kills, quickly tackling a deer each and draining it. Bomin was triumphant as he and Youngtaek shared a deer, the both of them tearing into it and eating their fill.

 

~



When everyone was done everyone made their way back to the main house, where Eunki was standing in the backyard having a conversation with MJ and Kevin who was ready to go when Youngtaek came back.

"Let's go Youngtaek," said Kevin as everyone walked into view. Youngtaek sighed, nodding to Kevin who dropped his human illusion and ran off, Youngtaek sprinting after him.

"What are you guys doing?" Asked MJ as he turned to Daeyeol, Sungyeol and Bomin. "I need to shower for one," said Bomin as he returned to his human form. "It'd be nice to sleep in a bed for a night," he said. "We're not heading to Detroit from here, we're heading around Lake Eerie to Ithaca," said Daeyeol.

"It's good you do, Kangmin had to move his team, Sandeul, and Moonbyul away from Detroit as Taehyun had to lock down the city from other species," said MJ. "They had moved to Seattle since Sandeul's pack is there and Taehyun didn't want Moonbyul in danger," he said.

"God everything went to hell after what happened in Toronto huh?" Asked Daeyeol. "Apparently," said MJ. "Jinho had to go make sure that nothing was going to come this way, so that's why it's just me at home at the moment," he said.

"Even cripple Hongseok went with them?" Asked Daeyeol. MJ scoffed. "We kicked him out when he tried to defend his actions," he said. "Taehyun took him in and put him in a scar contract to keep him from getting any ideas," he said.

"What'd it do, leave him unable to walk?" Asked Bomin. "Worse, Taehyun took his wolf form," said MJ. "Leaving him essentially human," he added. "Damn," said Daeyeol.

"Well," said Eunki as he stretched. "I'm gonna go now," he said. "I have to head up to Detroit anyway, so let them know I'm heading over yeah?" He asked. "Sure," said MJ. "And thanks for the information," he added. Eunki nodded, bowing his head before leaving, heading in the direction of Detroit.

 

~



After showering and changing clothes he had borrowed from MJ while his own went through the wash Bomin went straight to sleep despite how early in the day it still was. Daeyeol wasn't in a hurry to leave, but they had both been running non stop for a few days since leaving Colorado so Bomin just wanted to sleep.

Daeyeol and Sungyeol showered and changed clothes, letting their clothes go through the wash before they moved on. MJ kept them company, though they mostly stayed outside so Daeyeol and Sungyeol felt more comfortable and Bomin could sleep without much disturbance.

"You know," said MJ as he turned to Daeyeol and Sungyeol as they sat in the backyard under a tree just enjoying the afternoon. "You two remind me of mine and Kino's relationship," he said. "I see Kino like a younger brother, and from what I heard of you two's reputation when with each other, I can see that we're the same as you," he said.

Sungyeol chuckled softly, shifting in his seat. "Well, this stems from our human days," he said. "We went from loving brothers to constant arguing," he said. "I remember our parents asking if we were actually fine with each other and we responded that we were," said Daeyeol. "Sungyeol started it though," he added. "I did," Sungyeol said, sighing.

"We don't hate each other, but this reputation continued as we ran into each other throughout the years," said Daeyeol. "Hm," hummed MJ.