Chapter 10

The Fox and The Vampire

After they returned from their hunt Yeosang and Mingi moved on, going further north to speak with Ace and his coven before leaving North America all together to head to Austria to join Seonghwa. Daeyeol and Sungyeol decided to head south, hopefully towards Jaehwan's territory in Louisiana but they would hit up ia to visit Xiao's pack if Bomin didn't look like he would make it the entire trip.

After running into Taeyang who also warned them about not staying in the area, the two brothers and Bomin moved on, Bomin in his fox form as they quickly rushed out of the area as soon as they could.

 

~



"I still say we should've at least asked them to let Bomin stay for a few hours so he could rest up," said Sungyeol as they were running. "Well, there was no way we could've," said Daeyeol. "When Mark and Taeyang said we couldn't stay in the area we really couldn't," he said. "I don't want to warrant any more hostility than we have to," he added. "So it was best to move on," he said.

"Besides," said Daeyeol as he paused, causing Sungyeol to pause midstep as Bomin had to skid to a stop a few feet in front of them before turning to look at the two brothers. "Bomin's capable of going days without much rest, thanks to our contract," he said.

"You two have really worked out this contract of yours huh?" Asked Sungyeol. "Well, it's something we've come to learn over time," said Daeyeol. "As long as I don't push it when he's exhausted, he'll be fine," he said. "And you'll know," said Sungyeol. "Pretty much," said Daeyeol as he walked up to Bomin and bent down, petting him on the head before standing and moving away. "Are you hungry?" He asked. Bomin shook his head no. "Alright, we'll keep moving then," said Daeyeol as he walked around Bomin before sprinting forward. Bomin turned to Sungyeol, bowing his head before turning and running after Daeyeol.

Sungyeol watched them go for a second before looking down at his bracelet on his wrist. He noticed that the wooden cross that was on it now had a gold trim around it, signaling the mark of a permanent contract before he looked back towards where Daeyeol and Bomin ran off to. He soon rushed after them, a feeling of longing finally overcoming him as he moved further and further away from the direction he was assuming Youngtaek was.

 

~



"You wish to have the fox rest here for a few hours?" Asked Xiao as he sat outside on the back deck late at night when Daeyeol and Sungyeol had arrived in his backyard with Bomin on Daeyeol's back. "Well," said Daeyeol. "If you'll let him," he said, adjusting a sleeping Bomin on his back. "We'll move on if you say no, but Bomin just needs to sleep for a few hours," he said.

"I suppose," hummed Xiao. "Set him down on the loveseat," he said, motioning to said loveseat. Daeyeol went to maneuver Bomin onto the loveseat before moving away, watching as Bomin curled up into a ball. "Thank you," said Daeyeol, the relief evident in his relaxed stance as he moved away.

"What brings you out here late at night anyway?" Asked Daeyeol as he sat down in an unmarked chair beside the loveseat. Sungyeol sat on a chair on the opposite side, relaxing in his chair as he half listened to the conversation. "Xion asked if I could take his place some nights while he and Hwanhee went to look for Yunho and Gunmin," said Xiao. "Dongmyeong is busy with missions at the moment, taking Changhyun with him," he added.

"Do you think Wooseok is coming back here?" Asked Daeyeol. "I don't know to be honest with you," said Xiao as he shrugged. "This situation has everyone in a bind," he added. "I'm awaiting the decision, since Moonbin said he wasn't allowed to go to Berlin," he said. "I'm expecting those two to return to Austria at some point though," he added as an afterthought.

"You think that because he was the alpha before he'd be back as alpha?" Asked Daeyeol as he tilted his head to the side. "In a way, but I've been running this pack just fine," said Xiao as he shrugged. "Nothing major has happened since the two brothers were reunited," he added. "Dongmyeong and Xion," said Daeyeol. "Yep," hummed Xiao as he looked out towards the forest when he heard movement.

"What brings you this way Jangjun?" Asked Daeyeol as said vampire walked out of the forest. "I caught onto your trail when I left Boston," said Jangjun. "I'm just here because Seongyoon was worried since you weren't answering his texts," he added.

"My phone's dead, and I haven't been able to find a place to charge it," said Daeyeol. "Everywhere we've stopped we haven't been able to charge the phone," he added. "There's some plugs on one of the support beams of the gazebo if you need to use it," said Xiao. "If you don't mind," said Daeyeol. "Go ahead," said Xiao. Daeyeol got up and went to plug in his phone, watching as it finally again and started charging. He put it on the small table conveniently beside the plug before going to sit down.

"Are you going to travel with us or are you going back to Russia?" Asked Daeyeol as Jangjun walked over and sat down in a chair beside Xiao. "I think I'll go with you for a bit, at least my phone's charged," said Jangjun, earning a sigh from Daeyeol. "If only you had seen the stuff we've been through, then you'd understand why my phone is dead," said Daeyeol.

"I get it," said Jangjun as he nodded. "But you know how Seongyoon is," he added. "I'm not officially a part of your coven," said Daeyeol as he shrugged. "The only reason I agreed was because it was a place for Bomin to get some rest before we would hit Finalnd," he said. "Seongyoon knows that I never officially joined his coven," he said. "So don't feel obligated to travel with us," he added.

"I'm going, if you don't mind," said Jangjun. "I'm fine with it," said Sungyeol as he turned to his brother and Jangjun. "Alright," said Daeyeol as he nodded. "But I'm the leader in this situation," he added. "Fine," said Jangjun.

 

~



It was morning when someone new came outside, the back door opening to reveal Sunyoul who stepped out to get a breath of fresh air. "Oh, we have visitors," said Sunyoul as he spotted Bomin leaning against the railing. "Where'd Xiao go?" He asked. "He went for a run," said Bomin as he shrugged, turning to Sunyoul.

"Oh, it's you," said Sunyoul. "Yes, it's the fox," Bomin said with a sigh. "Hey, there's nothing wrong with that," said Sunyoul. "Where's your contract owner?" He asked. "He went hunting with his brother and covenmate," said Bomin. "I'm assuming that's what happened because Daeyeol's phone was next to me when I woke up, fully charged with a message saying where he went," he said. "I see," said Sunyoul.