Chapter 6

The Fox and The Vampire

Bomin let out a huff, watching Sunggyu and Daeyeol hunt. The both of them were clumsy as hell, but at least Bomin didn't need to hunt yet. The two vampires before him had spent the night before talking, and Bomin had noticed a lighter mood in Daeyeol. At least he got to get to know more about his brother from Sunggyu.

"You didn't need to join us you know," said Sunggyu as he finished draining the deer he had found and turned to Bomin. Bomin shrugged, returning to human form as Daeyeol finished draining the deer he had taken down. "It's easier on Daeyeol," he said. "I hate the taste of animal blood," said Daeyeol as he scratched the back of his head. "Bomin's taken to hunting animals though, so it's easier on the both of us," he said.

"It'll get easier," said Sunggyu. "Just gotta get used to it," he said. "I'm sure I will," said Daeyeol as he heard the phone ding and Daeyeol took it out of the bag to see what was up. "Oh, Cory's asking for you," he said, putting the phone back in the bag and zipping it up.

"I should get going then," said Sunggyu. "It was nice to catch up with you," he said. "Tell Changkyun that we said thanks for letting us stay," said Daeyeol. "Sure," said Sunggyu before he turned and ran back to the house.

"And here we are," said Daeyeol as he sighed. "Time to head onwards then," he said. "Where do you wanna go next?" Asked Bomin as he tilted his head to the side. "I was gonna say we could hit up Chicago and then Detroit before heading into Montreal," said Daeyeol. "We won't have to worry about potentially losing our papers next time something stupid happens like what happened in Toronto," he added.

"Oh good, we can go visit Sandeul to see how things are," said Bomin. "He was with them wasn't he?" Hummed Daeyeol. "Let's wait on that," he said. "Detroit is a bit too close to Toronto for my taste," he added.

"We could go around, head over to Ithaca, New York before heading up to Montreal," said Bomin. "Either way we have to head up there anyway to get our papers," he said. "Right," said Daeyeol as he sighed. "We'll go that route then," he said. "Go around Lake Eerie to get to Ithaca," he said.

"God I hate dealing with other species," Daeyeol said, sighing as he started moving, with Bomin following after him in his fox form. "At least you'll be able to get some sleep in a bed," he said.

"It's just one of those things you know?" Asked Daeyeol. "I wasn't that social when I was human," he said. "It's why I never joined a coven until Seongyoon asked," he said. "I put up with you, because we were stuck together, no offense," he said, pausing and causing Bomin to come to a stop in front of Daeyeol before turning to look at him.

"Didn't need to put it so bluntly now," said Bomin after returning to human form. "Look at how many times I had to save you from nearly becoming ashes since we've been stuck together," he said. "No matter what, this contract we have somehow became permanent," he said.

"I'm sorry," said Daeyeol as he sighed. "For?" Asked Bomin. "I've been going through this phase and I never bothered to see how you were faring with everything," said Daeyeol. "Your brother was killed," said Bomin. "It's called grief," he said. "I understand how that is, trust me," he said. "Everyone has had their fair share of grief," he said.

"Everyone in the supernatural world has had more than their fair share at this point," said Daeyeol. "Exactly," said Bomin. "We just have to try and move passed it," he said. "I know, losing your only family member is hard, but you'll get through it," he said. "Okay," said Daeyeol. "Let's go," he said. Bomin changed to his fox form and Daeyeol continued moving, Bomin soon following after him.

 

~



Sungyeol woke with a gasp, sitting up as he did so. "Where the hell?" He asked, looking down at his wrist where he felt something move. A bracelet? Sungyeol turned when he heard the door open and someone walked in.

"Who are you?" Asked Sungyeol. "I gave up one of my tails for this crap," said Youngtaek as he sighed, rubbing the back of his neck with his right hand, a similar bracelet on his wrist. "Sorry, I was coming to take Chan and Yuto back to Europe when this happened," said Kevin as he entered the room. Sungyeol blinked.

"When I heard you were related to Daeyeol I had to do something," said Kevin as he shrugged. "He and Bomin saved someone we came to learn was our sister," he said. "My name is Kevin, I'm a part of a trio of leaders that own Norway, Sweden and Finland, I call Finland home," he said.

"Oh, you're the dog Jun mentions every now and again," said Sungyeol. Kevin nodded. "You're under a fox's contract, I don't know what that entails but," he said, shrugging.

"I gave up one of my tails to bring you back," said Youngtaek. "I think it's permanent, but I don't know," he said. "Someone with more tails would know more than I do," he said, shrugging. "You're still a vampire," he added. "But with the strength of a 9 tailed fox who has one tail," he said. "Which, is still pretty powerful," he added. "But I don't know if you will end up with a fox form or not," he said.

"Am I allowed to see the others?" Asked Sungyeol. "It'd be best if you do," said Kevin. "Especially your brother after everything that happened," he said.

"Is there any restrictions?" Asked Sungyeol. "No," said Youngtaek. "As long as I'm alive you're fine," he said. "But since I'm under Kevin's contract I found out I am also pretty much unkillable, unless I remove all my tails," he said.

"Will your tail grow back?" Asked Sungyeol. "I don't think so," said Youngtaek. "It's part of the bracelet we both wear so," he said, shrugging. "Huh," hummed Sungyeol.

 

~



Daeyeol paused and looked at his phone when it dinged, seeing a text message from Kevin. Bomin stopped and turned to look at him, his head tilting to the side. "Nothing, Kevin wants to meet up in Chicago," said Daeyeol. "We're on our way there anyway," he added shrugging before replying to the text and putting the phone back into the bag and zipping it up.

"We're staying with a pack of 'shifters and a dog, are you okay with that?" He asked. Bomin nodded in response, earning a nod from Daeyeol. "Okay, let's keep going," said Daeyeol, contiuing the journey to Chicago. Bomin followed after him.

 

~



Eunki ended up joining them for the journey, as he had some information to pass to MJ who had apparently been away for a few months prior to this due to missions. "Apparently he finally made it home so I need to pass on something to him," said Eunki. "Okay," said Daeyeol. "I'm fine with that," He said.

"Don't worry, I'll be out of your hair as soon as this information is delivered," said Eunki. "It's nice to have some company," said Daeyeol. "Every now and again," he added. "It's why I'm never really a part of a coven," said Eunki. "I prefer travelling alone anyway," he said. "But travelling with someone for a bit does work too," he added.