Chapter 15

The Fox and The Vampire

Bomin found himself jolting awake, sitting up in surprise as he felt an unimaginable amount of power coming from the livingroom. It was enough to give him caution as he got up, going to wake Youngtaek who immediately got to his feet when he too felt the power.

"What's causing that power surge?" Asked Youngtaek as he looked at Bomin. "I'm surprised you felt it," said Bomin. "It happens when a fox gains their first tail," he said. "It's not as strong to me, but I can only imagine how it feels to you," said Youngtaek.

They both head out into the livingroom where the two brothers and Jangjun were, with Jangjun standing in the middle of the room and the two brothers were on either side of the room, watching Jangjun.

"Jangjun?" Asked Bomin. "I don't know," said Jangjun as he held up his left hand and looked at the new ring on his index finger, a simple gold band with a sapphire crystal infused into the band.

"Well," said Daeyeol. "That would explain why Seongyoon is so protective of you," he mused. "It's not only that," said Bomin.

"I'm still a vampire," said Jangjun as he turned to Bomin. "You are," said Bomin as he tilted his head to the side. "But the thing is, because of the way our genetic make up is we can't be turned," he said.

"Wait you're saying we can't be turned into vampires?" Asked Youngtaek. "It'd kill us if they tried," said Bomin as he shrugged. "It's like the pure blood werewolves, it kills the wolf but for us it kills us all together," he said.

"The only explanation I can come up with is that you were half human, or at least human enough to be turned," said Bomin.

"How do you know this?" Asked Daeyeol. "It's how I lost all but my last tail, which is still with you," said Bomin. Daeyeol blinked in surprise.

"I mean I guess it makes sense," said Jangjun. "I was raised as a human," he hummed. "I don't remember having a fox form though," he added. "Most wouldn't find out until they get their first tail," said Bomin. "So it makes sense," he added.

"I think due to how we were raised we knew what we'd end up being," said Youngtaek. "I've always known I was a fox," said Bomin. "Back then it was mostly just my kind in the supernatural world," he said. "I'm nowhere close to being the first ever fox though, I think I'm still a few generations ahead of the first ever nine tailed fox anyway," he added.

 

~



In the morning saw Jangjun gone, having left to head back to Russia. Bomin and Youngtaek were standing on the porch waiting on Sungyeol and Daeyeol who had left earlier to see him off then go hunting.

"You 4 are leaving then?" Asked Jaehwan as he pulled up in his jeep that was towing a trailer with a boat on it. "Yeah, Jangjun's returning to Russia and we're heading on from here," said Bomin.

"I'm going then, have a safe travel out," said Jaehwan. "Good luck on your gator hunting," said Bomin. Jaehwan nodded and backed out of the driveway, heading to wherever he was going.

"We should get going," said Youngtaek. "I'm sure we can find our way to where they went," he said. Bomin hummed, looking down at his necklace when it started pulsing. "What's wrong?" Asked Youngtaek as he looked down at the bracelet on his wrist. "We need to get to them, and quickly," said Bomin before he rushed off the porch, shifting to his fox form and letting the contract pull him towards where the two brothers were. Youngtaek rushed after him, taking off his shirt so he wouldn't lose it and tying it around his neck before changing, rushing after Bomin.

 

~



Sungyeol didn't know how the hell he got separated from Daeyeol but one moment they were hunting together and the next he was being chased by a pack of 'shifters. He was lucky he was still faster than them, but Daeyeol wasn't, and he was still killable. He hopped over a log, going into a rolling flip as the wolf 'shifters tackled him.

Youngtaek tackled one of the wolf 'shifters, baring his teeth and snarling at them in warning as he moved away from them. Bomin quickly ran from view, running as fast as his legs could carry him as soon as he was sure that Youngtaek and Sungyeol could handle it.

Youngtaek and Sungyeol growled at the two 'shifters, daring them to do something.

 

~



Daeyeol ran as fast as he could, weaving in and out of the trees. Five more wolf 'shifters were chasing after him and frankly Daeyeol was tired of them chasing him. He leaped over a log, taking his bag off his back and throwing it to the side as he landed in a river with a splash.

He let the current carry him downstream, noting that the 'shifters had stopped following him. He closed his eyes, letting the current take him where ever, hoping that someone would at least see him in the murky water and get him out.

 

~



Bomin came upon the bag, changing back to his human form as he came to a stop. The wolf 'shifters were gone at least, but Daeyeol was nowhere to be found. Sungyeol and Youngtaek appeared a few minutes later, keeping their distance from Bomin who looked around the river.

"Where is he?" Asked Sungyeol. "I don't know," Bomin answered honestly. "The necklace stopped pulsing, but I assume he is downstream somewhere," he said.

 

~



"Oi, we fished up a vampire," called Jihoon as he went to bring Daeyeol in, with Seongwoo helping Jihoon haul Daeyeol into their boat. Daeyeol coughed up water, sitting up and coughing water out of his lungs.

"Didn't Jaehwan say you were leaving?" Asked Jihoon. "We were on our way out when we got chased by a pack of 'shifters," said Daeyeol once he had finished coughing up the water. "I don't know where I am but I came from that way," he said, pointing in the direction he had come from.

"You're lucky we were heading that way," said Jihoon as he started the boat engine, going further upstream.

They pulled up to the shore when they spotted Bomin, and Daeyeol got out, nearly stumbling as Bomin caught him. "I'm fine," said Daeyeol as he let Bomin lead him up the bank. "Be careful on the way out," said Jihoon. "If we could we'd take you out of here but," he said before pushing the boat away from the bank and steering the boat back towards where they were going.

"So much for clean clothes huh?" Asked Bomin as he and Daeyeol joined Sungyeol and Youngtaek. "We need to keep going," said Daeyeol. "We'll get more clothes when we finally get out of this state," he said.