Chapter 12

The Fox and The Vampire

Bomin was tired. Daeyeol was pushing the journey harder than usual, and it was really starting to wear him out. It was why he was grateful for a much needed break, the four of them coming to a stop by a river to let Bomin get a drink of water and sit for a few minutes. Daeyeol and Sungyeol were off to the side having a quiet discussion while Jangjun was left to keep Bomin company.

"I feel like the odd one out," said Jangjun as Bomin sat down and looked up at the sky. "The two brothers have themselves, you're with Daeyeol and I'm just me," he said, sighing a bit as he rubbed the back of his neck with his hand. "I knew that coming into this would end up being like this but," he said, shrugging. "I do enjoy your company though," he added. "I just feel lonely sometimes," he hummed. Bomin nodded in understanding, lightly growling in response since he couldn't hum.

"We're almost there," said Daeyeol as he walked over with Sungyeol. "Sorry to push this journey but," he added, sighing a bit. "Things have gotten tense up north, and I want to stay as far south as possible before we leave the country all together," he said. "Are you ready to go?" He asked Bomin. Bomin got to his feet, nodding as he turned to Daeyeol.

"Oi," said Jangjun. "We've been running non stop at pretty much full speed for 5 hours," he said. "Bomin's exhausted," he said. "Let him rest a bit longer," he said. Bomin shook his head. They were almost there, so Bomin was fine with going a little bit farther before his exhaustion caught up with him.

"We're going," said Daeyeol. "Bomin will be fine," he said. "How are you so sure huh?" Growled Jangjun. "You don't have to be here you know," said Daeyeol as he glared at Jangjun.

"Let's go," said Sungyeol. "Bomin's ready to keep going anyway," he said, looking down at said fox. Bomin nodded, and with that Daeyeol turned and continued on, with the others following after him.

 

~



"Jaehwan, we got visitors," called Jihoon as Daeyeol and the others finally made it to their pack house by boat. Jaehwan came outside onto the dock as Daeyeol parked one of the boats by the dock and Jangjun parked the other boat on the other side. Bomin was fast asleep in his fox form in Daeyeol's boat so Daeyeol gently picked him up before getting out after Jihoon tied the boat to the dock.

"Why do I have a feeling this is more than a casual visit?" Asked Jaehwan as Jangjun and Sungyeol got out of their boat after Jihoon made sure to tie their boat to the dock. "It's been hell up north," said Daeyeol. "Do you mind if Bomin rests for a few hours?" He asked, looking down at the sleeping fox in his arms.

"Put him on the couch inside," said Jaehwan as he nodded. Daeyeol went to do so, soon coming back out after making sure Bomin was okay.

"What brings you and your coven down here?" Asked Jaehwan as Daeyeol stepped outside. "It's a long story," said Daeyeol as he scratched the back of his head. "The longer we stayed further north the more tense things got," he said. "We weren't the cause of it, but Chani's takeover of Toronto after everything happened is causing a lot of chaos," he said.

"How long are you going to be here?" Asked Jaehwan. "A few days, if you'll let us," said Daeyeol. "I still need to finish up some things here in the states, and Bomin's exhausted from all the running we've been doing," he said.

"Just the fox needs to sleep?" Asked Jaehwan. "Yeah, we'll be outside most of the time to not encroach on your pack house more than we need to," said Daeyeol. "You can help Zuho then," said Jaehwan. "Zuho, Seongwoo and Jinyoung are on the other side of the property building a bridge to at least let carts cross when we get stuff delivered," he said.

"I'm surprised the property owners are allowing you to do that," said Daeyeol. "We live on the property for free, just gotta keep the gators out," said Jihoon. "It is almost gator hunting season," hummed Jaehwan.

"We also do chores around the property when they need us to, but to get to us you'd have to go by boat," said Jihoon. "There's a road at the other end of the property that we got permission to connect a bridge to," he added. "A private island of sorts," said Daeyeol. "Pretty much," said Jaehwan.

"I'll go see what needs to be done," said Jangjun before he went to do so. "There's a small bridge connecting to the wilderness on the other side," said Jaehwan. "If you need to hunt," he added. "This one was here for a while now," he said. "It's only sturdy enough for foot traffic though, so," he added, shrugging.

"Uh," said Daeyeol. "Jangjun hunts humans, is that okay?" He asked, turning to Jaehwan. "If he keeps to one person, yes," said Jaehwan. "I'm more lenient than the others due to my close connections with Eunki," he added. "So I've made that a rule when any vampire that hunts humans is in the area for a short period of time," he said.

 

~



"Their house is a glorified shack," said Sungyeol as he and Daeyeol went hunting after telling Jangjun about what he could do regarding his hunt when he needed to. "Well, when all you really need is just 4 cots and a small kitchen it's not too bad," said Daeyeol. "They get electricity from the solar panels up top and they can just jump in the river to clean off," he said.

"It looks pretty comfy to be honest, reminds me of our old home," said Daeyeol. "Our house was not a shack," Sungyeol said, sighing. "Of course not," hummed Daeyeol. "But it was home," he said. "This is home to them, and home was home to us," he said. Sungyeol hummed in response.

 

~



When they got back to the house Jaehwan was talking with Bomin who had woken up on the couch and wondered outside after returning to human form to see Jaehwan fishing on the dock. "Welcome back," said Bomin as Jaehwan reeled in a fish, unhooking it and throwing it into the nearby bucket after making sure to kill it.

"Anything new happening?" Asked Jaehwan as he hooked another fish and quickly reeled it in. "No," said Daeyeol. "Jangjun is still working on the bridge last I saw," he added. "They're going to make it out of wood then reinforce it with concrete," he said. "Hm," hummed Jaehwan as he unhooked the fish and threw it into the bucket after making sure it was dead.