Chapter 17

The Fox and The Vampire

"Jacob!" Shouted Bomin as he ran over, standing in front of a burning village. "What the hell did you do?" He asked. "I merely taught this village a lesson," said Jacob as he watched his handiwork with a proud smirk. "The humans deserve it," he said. "They were going to expose us!" He said.

"Do you realize that vampires run this village?" Asked Bomin. "This is one of their hunting spots!" He said. "They're going to kill you," he said. "And I won't be able to do anything to stop them," he said.

"I put them out of their misery," said Jacob as he turned and shifted to his fox form before running off. Bomin looked at the jade ring on his finger, blinking as it seemed to start pulsing. "You're here huh?" He asked, clenching his hand into a fist before running into the village.

Daeyeol struggled to breathe as he tried to lift the rubble off him, everything collapsing around him. He was lucky to at least be saved from the flames for now, but the smoke was getting to him. "H-Help! Anyone, please?!" He shouted, hoping someone could find him.

Bomin rushed over, going to lift some of the rubble off, grunting from the effort. "I got you, hold on," he shouted, pulling some of the bigger pieces of the collapsed house away from where he heard Daeyeol's cries for help. "Hang in there alright?!" He asked, grabbing a hold of a now unconscious Daeyeol's shoulders when he finally cleared a way through. "Just hang in there," he said, dragging Daeyeol out of the house before falling on his with a grunt, the adrenaline wearing off.

"Damn it," said Bomin as he got to his feet. He looked down at his hand when the weight of the ring disappeared, blinking in surprise. "So it was you huh?" He asked, looking down at Daeyeol. "Let me save you then," he said, going to find an intact cart before coming back with it. He picked up Daeyeol and put him in the cart before starting the journey to the nearest hospital. "Just hang in there okay?!" He said, taking off his coat and putting it over Daeyeol before continuing the journey.

 

~



"So it was you that saved me," said Daeyeol as he looked at Bomin. "I never got to say thanks anyway," he said. "You did, in saving me," said Bomin as he shrugged.

"I never found out though," said Bomin as he turned to Jacob. "Who did I expose myself to for you to punish me by nearly killing me?" He asked. "I never changed in front of Daeyeol and Yoohyeon was half vampire by the time I got her out of those camps," he said.

"What do you mean you never exposed yourself to a human?" Asked Jacob. "I don't recall ever doing so," said Bomin as he shrugged.

"How about the time you were saved by Daeyeol?" Asked Jacob. "You ere apparently caught in a trap and Daeyeol saved you then," he said. "I don't remember that," said Bomin. "I don't remember much of what happened that day to be honest with you," he added.

"My memory is fuzzy," said Daeyeol. "But I think I remember part of it," he added. "Because Sungyeol used to talk about a fox in our barn or something," he said. "I remember," said Sungyeol. "This was a bit after I was turned," he said. "What happened?" Asked Bomin.

"You were human for the entire thing," said Sungyeol. "But I said something about you being a fox because I knew what you were from the beginning," he said. "I don't know where the whole exposing yourself came from, but you were human the entire time you were living in our barn," he said.

"It was all a big misunderstanding it seems," said Bomin. "But I can't get my tails back after all that," he said.

"Father disowned me after everything you know," said Jacob. "So? He did the same thing to me," said Bomin. "After he found out that I was with a vampire," he said. "It's not like I have a choice," he said. "I'd be dead if Daeyeol didn't save me," he said.

"Your contract is what is keeping you alive huh?" Asked Jacob. Bomin nodded.

"Well," said Jacob as he turned around. "I'll leave you be then," he added, before walking off. "I'd rather not deal with your wrath, even if I am also under a contract," he said. "Luckily Ace doesn't need me too often," he called before disappearing from view.

 

~



"Some brother he is," Yunho said with a scoff, earning a soft chuckle from Bomin. "Well," said Bomin as he rubbed the back of his neck with his right hand. "It seems like we hate each other, but really we do keep up with how things are going on between us," he said.

"Who is older anyway?" Asked Youngtaek. "Jacob is, by a couple years," said Bomin. "It may not seem like it now, but he's more caring than he tends to let on," he said.

"I could see it," said Sungyeol. "He had no intention of trying to kill any of us I don't think," he added. "Just wanted to see how you were doing," he said. "Didn't need to do that though," grumbled Youngtaek. "We haven't been in contact with each other for months now, I guess he didn't know how to get in touch," said Bomin.

 

~



"Well," said Yunho as he and Gunmin shook hands with Hwanhee before Hwanhee left. "Let them know I'll come for a visit when I can," he said. "Sure," said Hwanhee. "By then I think we'll've made up our minds," said Yunho as Gunmin nodded in agreement. Hwanhee nodded and turned and left, soon disappearing from view.

"Well," said Yunho as he turned to Gunmin. "We have a decision to make," he said. Gunmin nodded, huffing out a sigh as he went with Yunho to somewhere private to discuss what was going to happen next between them both.

 

~



Bomin leaned back against the headboard as he looked at the two brothers and Youngtaek who were scattered around the motel room they were staying in. "We need to have a discussion about what's going to happen next, like right now," he said.

"I'm going back to Russia in a week or so," hummed Daeyeol. "I need to head back towards Toronto to let Hui know where I'll end up being," said Sungyeol. "And where is that?" Asked Daeyeol as he turned to Sungyeol.

"I can't leave Finland," said Youngtaek. "Not permanently anyway," he added. "So whatever happens, I'm going back to Kevin's," he said. "It's because of the half human isn't it?" Asked Sungyeol. "Mostly," said Youngtaek. "I can't break that sort of contract anyway, Kevin was the one who saved me when he could've killed me," he said.

"Isn't your contract thing permanent now since you gave up one of your tails?" Asked Sungyeol. "It possibly is," said Youngtaek. "But it's not like mine is with you," he said. "Huh," said Sungyeol.

"A fox's contract works like the other contracts," said Bomin. "But a permanent one like yours is a bit more intricate," he added. "Youngtaek had to bring you back using one of his tails, but because of that, he gained control of your soul," he said. "Since I had no body," said Sungyeol as he blinked in realization. "Exactly," said Bomin.

"I think we should make our way back up to Toronto," said Daeyeol. "You can make your final decision on the way up," he added. "It looks like things have finally calmed down up there," he said.

"Can we sleep one more night?" Asked Youngtaek. "I wouldn't mind," said Bomin. "It's gonna be a long journey if these two want to go nonstop," he said. "I'm in no hurry to head back up to Toronto," said Daeyeol. "So resting for another day or so is fine with me," he said.