Chapter 13

The Fox and The Vampire

Bomin was able to observe how things were run by the pack of 'shifters led by Jaehwan and even interacted with the humans who owned the property. An old man owned the property, and had inherited it from his grandfather. Jaehwan wasn't looking to take over the property after the old man passed, but it seemed, to Bomin at least, that it would be the case for Jaehwan and his pack.
 

~



"You think so too huh?" Asked Jaehwan as he and Bomin were helping repair part of a fence that surrounded the back part of the property. "I'd be surprised if you weren't included in the will to be honest," said Bomin as he shrugged, holding the pieces together while Jaehwan drilled into the fencing.

"I've already done so much for the old man," hummed Jaehwan as he worked on the bottom half of the fence. "But his son is going to fight me for it," he added. "Or make me buy the property from him," he said as an afterthought. "It's a good thing I know a good lawyer from getting my contracts for gator hunting season," he said with a small chuckle, finishing up the bottom half of the fence he was working on.

"How are things down here anyway?" Asked Bomin as they moved on to another part of the fence and started repairing that. "We never had any interaction with Kris, if that's what you're asking," hummed Jaehwan as he went to remove the old piece of fence post and Bomin held up the piece of new fence while Jaehwan drilled the wood together.

"We knew of him, all 'shifters do," said Jaehwan as he tested the strength of the fence. "But I had no interaction with his pack in general," he said. "I knew their hunters and such, but we were never on missions together or anything, just saw each other in passing when we ended up in the same cities," he said.

"Yedam, JR and Jinyoung are respectable enough I guess," said Jaehwan as he finished inspecting the fence to make sure there weren't any more weak spots. "Every hunter knows Yedam by now though, JR too," he added. "Jinyoung just kinda faded into the background when he was turned though," he said. "Yixing was just there since he was one of the original generals, and Byungchan just wasn't doing enough to be noticed," he said. "At least, compared to Seungwoo and his reputation," he said.

"Most teams avoided Toronto when they had the chance," said Bomin. "Pretty much," hummed Jaehwan as he went to pack up his tools. "Though, most teams went into Toronto for other reasons," he said. "We went because Chani and Youngbin pretty much called the place home after Chani decided to settle down," he said. "Youngbin is still nomadic but he is usually seen over there anyway," he added.

 

~



"Oi, Kevin's here," called Jihoon as he walked over as Bomin was helping Jangjun and Daeyeol with the bridge. "Tell him to come on over then," said Daeyeol. "I think Youngtaek is here for my brother anyway," he added. "Let me guess, Jaehwan went gator hunting?" He asked after climbing up the small bank to stand beside Jihoon. "Yeah, so he'll only be able to be over here," said Jihoon.

"Send him over," said Daeyeol as he went to text Sungyeol who had been out hunting. "I'm surprised you didn't go with them this time around," he said, turning to Jihoon. "You guys were working on the bridge, and Zuho wanted to join in on the gator hunting this time around," Jihoon said, shrugging.

"You guys need any help?" Asked Kevin as he walked over with Youngtaek flanking him like usual. "We got it, I think," said Jangjun as he walked up the bank and examined their work.

Sungyeol appeared after a few minutes, spotting Kevin and Youngtaek, with Youngtaek visibly relaxing in Sungyeol's presence. "It's about time you got back," said Sungyeol, earning a snort from Youngtaek. "It's not like I wanted to leave," said Youngtaek.

"He'll be with you for the rest of the time," said Kevin as he nodded to Daeyeol. "Yoohyeon is safe in Berlin at the moment while my brothers and I are doing some stuff outside our countries for a bit," he said. "The others are keeping an eye out, I must return to Europe after this though," he said.

"I'll be fine," said Youngtaek. "Go on," he added. "It's not you I'm worried about," Kevin said with a scoff. "Whatever," said Youngtaek as he shook his head. "I'll be fine," he said. "I'm off then," said Kevin before he left.

"Jaehwan is going to be pissed," Jihoon said, sighing. "But you're working on the bridge so he should be fine with it," he added. "It's almost done," said Bomin as he looked at the bridge.

"Reinforcing it with concrete was a good idea," agreed Jihoon. "It's going to be awkward when the old man passes though," he said. "He's got enough time left to figure out what's going to happen to you," said Bomin. "How do you know?" Asked Jihoon. "Us foxes can sense that kind of thing in humans," said Bomin.

"I'd agree," said Youngtaek. "You got plenty of time to figure out your living arrangements before the old man passes," he said. "But also be prepared for anything," he said.

 

~



Daeyeol huffed out a sigh as he laid down on the dock looking up at the sky. It was the middle of the night, and the only people who were awake was himself, Zuho, and Sungyeol, who had disappeared to who knows where. Daeyeol was sure they were going to overstay their welcome soon, so he needed to decide on where to head to next.

Daeyeol sat up when he heard movement, the pack across the front of his chest moving slightly as he looked around. Sungyeol had returned from whereever he had wandered off to, standing nearby as he too heard movement from across the river.

"It's nothing," said Daeyeol as he got up, readjusting the pack to where it rested on his back now. "We should get going," he said, turning to Sungyeol who nodded. "I think it's a good idea," said Sungyeol.

Bomin and Youngtaek made their way outside, with Zuho seeing them go. "You guys be careful now," said Zuho. "A lot is happening it seems," he hummed, looking across the water to the wilderness on the other side. "Stay safe out here," said Daeyeol as he turned to Zuho. "Same to you," said Zuho and Daeyeol ran off, going around the shack to cross the now completed bridge. The others followed after him, with Bomin going in his fox form.

 

~



Gunshots were heard, and Daeyeol had to pause, turning towards where they had left, with Sungyeol stopping beside him. Youngtaek and Bomin skidded to a stop a few feet ahead, turning back to look towards Jaehwan's territory.

"I hope everything is okay over there," said Sungyeol. "I'm sure it is," said Daeyeol as his phone pinged, causing Daeyeol to take it out of the bag and look at it. "We need to keep going," he said, putting the phone back in the bag and zipping it up. "So, let's go then," said Youngtaek. Daeyeol sighed and nodded, turning and continuing onwards. The others soon follow after him.