Chapter 3

The Fox and The Vampire

Bomin looked up from the porch swing he was sitting on when he heard footsteps, seeing Yuto standing in front of him. "What do you want?" He asked. "I have some information for you," said Yuto as he handed Bomin a letter. "Some guy dropped it off a few days ago, I don't know why, but he said to give it to someone named Bomin and everyone pointed me to you," he said, shrugging. Bomin took the letter, opening it and reading it as Yuto took a step back.

"Thanks for the information," said Bomin once he was done reading the letter. "You can burn this now," he said, handing the letter to Yuto who took a lighter out of his pants pocket and burned the letter.

"You just have a lighter on hand huh?" asked Bomin as he got up, dusting dirt from his pants. "I've had to keep one on me every time I get information to pass onto someone," said Yuto as he shrugged, putting the lighter back into his pocket and walking away, entering the house. Bomin sighed as he contemplated what to do next, looking towards where Sungyeol and Daeyeol had run off to. He knew better than to disturb the two brothers, as Bomin knew how much Daeyeol had really missed his brother.

"Going hunting?" Asked Chani as he exited the house. "I don't know," said Bomin. "I might, to top off my fox self's hunger," he said. "Is it hungry?" Asked Chani. "No," said Bomin. "But I'll accompany you, if you don't mind," he said. "Can you keep up with me fox?" Chani asked with a smirk. "If I can't, I think we got a problem," Bomin said with a smirk of his own as Chani rushed off the front porch and into the forest. Bomin rushed after him, changing to his fox form to gain some speed and was soon running beside Chani.

Bomin stopped when Chani went after some deer, pouncing on one and draining it. Bomin's fox side wasn't feeling hungry at the moment, so he sat down, waiting on Chani to finish. "I guess you weren't hungry huh?" Asked Chani as he walked over after burying the deer. Bomin shook his head and Chani reached out to pet him on the head.

"I'm sure whatever the two brothers are doing, they're fine," said Chani, moving away after petting Bomin on the head. "Sungyeol really does care for Daeyeol, even if they seem like they're at each others throats all the time," he said. "I would know, Sunggyu and I are the same way," he said, chuckling some as he put his hands in his jacket pockets. Bomin snorts, his tail wagging slightly as he sniffed the air.

"Come on kit," said Chani as he turned, sprinting off. Bomin huffed at the nickname, soon sprinting after Chani and just enjoying the wind in his fur. Chani ran with no real destination in mind, just going where he felt like going with Bomin running by his side.

 

~



Daeyeol suddenly stopped, turning when he felt the ring pulsing. "What's wrong?" asked Sungyeol as he stopped beside Daeyeol. "Just Bomin enjoying a run it seems," said Daeyeol as he lifted up his hand to look at the ring. "He really wanted to come out here with us huh?" Asked Sungyeol. "Overprotective I tell you," Daeyeol said with a chuckle, earning an amused snicker from Sungyeol.

"I'm sure Chani had a talk with him," said Sungyeol. "I'm sure," said Daeyeol. "I remember when Chani used to go toe to toe with Sunggyu, at the smallest of things," said Sungyeol as he chuckled. "Were they that bad?" Asked Daeyeol. "Just as bad as our bickering is," said Sungyeol, earning a laugh from Daeyeol.

"And here I thought our bickering was bad," said Daeyeol. "No no, you spend enough time with those two you'd think we're normal," said Sungyeol. "I'm sure," said Daeyeol as he let his hand drop to his side.

Hoetaek's large wolf form came into view, carrying a sleeping Bomin on his back with Chani coming to a stop beside him. "Aw, did you tire him out?" Asked Daeyeol. "He must've been getting no sleep, not 10 minutes into a run he collapsed and fell asleep," said Chani. "Hui here happened to find us as he was looking for you," he said.

"I'll take him back to the house," said Daeyeol, going to wake up Bomin long enough for Bomin to change back to human form and hop onto Daeyeol's back to get carried back before falling asleep again. Daeyeol made sure he had a good grip on Bomin and Bomin wouldn't fall before turning to Sungyeol.

"He can sleep in my room, it's fine," said Sungyeol. "Sure, and he'll just stink up your room for the night," retorted Daeyeol, though the relief was evident in his stance. Sungyeol scoffed. "Go then," he said, the hidden amusement heard as he glared at Daeyeol. Daeyeol shook his head and turned, heading back to the house.

"Going to hunt?" Asked Sungyeol as he turned to Hoetaek. Hoetaek nodded. "I'll join you then," said Sungyeol and Hoetaek ran forward with Sungyeol following after him. Chani watched them go, a soft smile on his face before turning and running back to the house.

 

~



Bomin was mumbling words in his sleep, random enough for Daeyeol to pause and try to listen before continuing the journey back to the house.

Myungsoo was sitting outside on the porch when Daeyeol showed up and opened the door for him before going back to sitting on the porch swing. Daeyeol maneuvered his way into Sungyeol's room and gently put Bomin down after moving the blanket away before covering him up. He was about to leave until he heard Bomin mumbling something again.

"...Don't go..." Bomin mumbled, turning to face away from Daeyeol who hesitated, sighing a bit before going to lay down beside Bomin. Daeyeol just hoped he didn't regret it later, humming to himself as Bomin turned to face him. Daeyeol reached out and moved a strand of hair away from Bomin's face before moving to lay on his back and stare up at the ceiling for the rest of the night.

"I envy you sometimes you know," said Daeyeol as he turned his head to look at Bomin. "At least you get to sleep for a few hours," he said, sighing as he looked up at the ceiling again.