Chapter 11

The Fox and The Vampire

"Hyung," said Daeyeol as he turned to Sungyeol while the two of them got some time alone. "What's up?" Asked Sungyeol. "When... When our village was burned down, how did you deal with that?" Asked Daeyeol. "Well," hummed Sungyeol as he thought about it.

"I had Sungjong with me, when it happened," said Sungyeol after he thought about it. "I wanted to come find you too, but Sungjong didn't want to risk it," he said. "Were you vampires then?" Asked Daeyeol. "We were," said Sungyeol as he nodded.

"Why didn't you come looking for me?" Asked Daeyeol. "I wanted to," said Sungyeol. "But my thirst was out of control then," he said. "I wanted to find you at least, but it seems Bomin was there to make sure you'd make it," he said.

"I didn't meet Bomin again until he came to me," said Daeyeol as he sighed. "And that was long into the second world war where I was just trying to survive," he said. "I did manage to make it into Sweden but I didn't stay long," he added. "Some things don't change it seems," he said.

"What do you mean by that?" Asked Sungyeol. "Oh nothing," said Daeyeol as he turned and headed back to the house. Sungyeol followed after him.

 

~



They were heading back when the ring on Daeyeol's finger started pulsing, causing Daeyeol to pause and gauge what was happening. "What's up?" Asked Sungyeol. "Something is happening back at the house," said Daeyeol as he soon sprinted back, with Sungyeol following after him.

"Ah," said Bomin as he turned to the two brothers when they came into view. "Here they are," he said. "What happened?" Asked Daeyeol as the ring stopped pulsing when he came to a stop in front of Bomin.

"Jangjun went missing," said Bomin. "Are you kidding me?" Asked Daeyeol as he sighed. "He was supposed to come back here after he was done hunting," he said. "Did he leave a message on the phone?" He asked. "No," said Bomin.

"Okay, we'll have to find him somehow," hummed Daeyeol. "I'm not a tracker either," he grumbled, looking deep in thought. "He couldn't've gone far right?" Asked Xiao. "He said he was going with you three," he said. "Mm," hummed Daeyeol.

"I can try and find him," said Bomin. "I'm not the best tracker, but how hard is it to find one vampire?" He asked. "Just be careful out there okay?" Asked Daeyeol. "Seongyoon will have my head if he finds out anything happened to Jangjun," he said.

Bomin nodded, moving away and changing on the spot, stretching out by leaning down on his front paws before straightening and shaking out his fur. He sniffed the air, catching Jangjun's scent and running towards it, soon disappearing from view.

Daeyeol watched him go, worry evident in his eyes as Sungyeol put a comforting hand on his shoulder. "Bomin will find him, don't worry okay?" He asked. "I know," said Daeyeol. "It's Jangjun I'm worried about," he added.

"He's not like you," said Xiao. "No, Jangjun hunts humans," said Daeyeol as he sighed. "But sometimes he takes things too far and I'm thinking this happened to him," he said.

 

~



Following after Jangjun's scent was easy enough, but finding him was even harder. The scents of the 'shifters slightly overpowered Jangjun's and it was making it hard for Bomin to concentrate on Jangjun's scent.

When he finally came upon said vampire Bomin came across what looked like a massacre. What was once a human camp looked like it had been ripped apart, bodies strewn everywhere and even a dead dog by the base of a tree. Jangjun was currently kneeling in front of said dog, his hands shaking as he gently pet its head.

"I-I didn't mean it," mumbled Jangjun as Bomin walked over after changing back to his human form. "T-The dog was- It was-" started Jangjun before he moved away, a sob escaping him. "You tried to save the dog," Bomin said softly as understanding dawned on him. "The damn thing tried to protect its owners," said Jangjun as he tried to calm down, Bomin leaning down and bringing Jangjun into his arms to let him sob into his chest.

 

~



Daeyeol and Sungyeol appeared a few minutes later, looking at the scene before them. "Jesus," said Daeyeol as he looked around. "I was trying to save the dog," said Jangjun as he sighed, looking at the remains of the camp.

"You had a reason to go berserk this time?" Asked Sungyeol. "I'm normally better at controlling myself," said Jangjun. "You know this Daeyeol," he added. "Of course," said Daeyeol. "You only tried to do what you thought was right, and this happened," he said.

"Where'd Bomin go?" Asked Sungyeol. "He went to give the dog a proper burial," said Jangjun. "I don't know what to do with this though," he said, motioning to the mess. "I'm sure that Bomin will take care of the bodies," said Daeyeol.

"You realize I haven't hunted any humans in months right?" Asked Bomin as he walked over with his hands in his pockets. "I don't know how my fox form is going to react to this," he said. "We'll burn the bodies then," said Daeyeol. "I'll head back and let Xiao know the plan," he said. "I'll be back in a few minutes with Xiao and some matches," he said. "We'll get everything set up," said Bomin as he nodded. Daeyeol nodded and left, going to let Xiao know what was happening.

Jangjun and Sungyeol went to gather everything into a big pile, with Bomin surrounding the area with rocks to keep the fire from spreading and then the three of them went to get all the wood they could find to start a huge bonfire.

 

~



Xiao appeared with Daeyeol a few minutes later, bringing along Hwanhee who had just returned from trying to find Yunho with no success. "Guess that was a failure huh?" Asked Bomin when he saw Hwanhee.

"How could it be this hard to find one person?" Asked Hwanhee as Xiao threw gasoline onto the pile to make sure it'd light before throwing a lit piece of paper into the pile, watching as it went up in flames.

"When someone doesn't want to be found, they really don't," said Bomin as he looked at the fire. "Especially when they're grieving," he added. "Sometimes people want to grieve alone," he said. "Gunmin won't leave his side, but you get what I mean," he added.

"You think Yunho's still grieving over his brother's death?" Asked Hwanhee. "It's possible," hummed Daeyeol. "Especially when he had to make the killing blow," he said.

"He'll come out of hiding eventually, he's waiting on what Hongjoong decides to do," said Bomin. "That's what I hear through the grapevine anyway," he added. "Either way he's staying with Byungchan and his pack I think," he said. "Due to Wooseok and Seungwoo leaving, along with Hanse and Chan," he said. "There's no hunters in the pack so Yunho may stay," he said. Hwanhee hummed in response.

 

~



Daeyeol decided to continue on after the fire burned out and Bomin got a chance to hunt. "Say hi to Jaehwan for me," said Hwanhee. "Will do," said Daeyeol before he sprinted off, with Sungyeol and Jangjun following after him. Bomin followed after them in his fox form, the 4 of them disappearing from view.