Chapter 8

The Fox and The Vampire

"Hey, do you have all your papers and everything?" Asked Daeyeol as he turned to Sungyeol. "I do, but I'm not leaving Toronto," said Sungyeol. "Or at least, Chani's coven," he added. "Something will end up pulling you towards Finland," said Daeyeol. "Especially now that Kevin returned to Finland," he said.

"I'm not going to abandon Chani like that," said Sungyeol. "Look at Sunggyu," said Daeyeol. "He didn't abandon Chani, but he still left the coven in his care," he said. "I'm not saying you have to join a completely new coven, but this would be easier on you if you did," he said.

"Especially if the contract is permanent," said MJ as he was half listening to the conversation while looking at something on his phone. "Something was exchanged for this to happen," he said, looking up from from his phone. "There is no way you got out of this scot free," he said.

"And you know this how?" Asked Sungyeol. "Changgu," said MJ. "The dog?" Asked Daeyeol. "What about him?" He asked. "Even someone like him is under a contract," said MJ. "It took a while for me to figure out what his was, but it's a scar contract," he said. "There's just a tiny scar across his left wrist that is barely noticeable unless you look at it in the right light," he said.

"Someone brought him back," said Daeyeol. "It seems so," hummed MJ as he looked thoughtful. "Someone who knew who he was, or someone that wants to get back at this pack somehow," said Daeyeol. "It would seem so," said MJ. "No one else that we know has a scar like that," he said. "So this is very odd," he added.

"Hopefully no one is after your pack or anything," said Sungyeol. "I liked Changgu when he was still with my coven," he said. "It seems that he's fine though," said MJ. "I'm sure whatever happens will happen though," he said, sighing. "One day he will have to go back to his master, whoever that is," he said.

"Do the others know?" Asked Daeyeol. "No," said MJ. "I'm the only one who knows," he said. "If someone else knows they're hiding it well," he added. "Because no one will notice it unless you look very closely," he said.

 

~



Bomin stumbled outside after a long nap, yawning and rubbing his eyes as he walked over to where Daeyeol was still sitting with his brother and MJ. "Had a nice nap?" Asked Daeyeol. "Mm," hummed Bomin as he shook his head to wake himself up more.

"Are you ready to go?" Asked Daeyeol. "We're leaving already?" Asked Bomin as he tilted his head to the side. "It'd be easier to go now," said Sungyeol. "Our clothes are done, we'll just change back into them and be on our way," he added. "Right," said Bomin as he nodded. "Alright," he said.

"Tell Changgu we said hello yeah?" Asked Sungyeol as he exited the house after changing clothes. "Sure, no problem," said MJ. "Take care of yourselves now," he said as Daeyeol and Bomin came outside and Bomin changed to his fox form, shaking out his fur. Daeyeol made sure he had everything in his bag before nodding.

"Tell Jaehyun I said hello then," said MJ. "We will," said Daeyeol. "Though, I don't think we'll even stop by there, just hunt and then move onto Montreal," he said. "I'm heading back up to Toronto once we hit Ithaca," said Sungyeol. "I'll let you know if it's safe enough to come back if you end up coming back that way," he said.

"Why not just go now?" Asked Daeyeol as he turned to Sungyeol. "It's a straight shot to Toronto from here," he added. "I'll be fine on my own, I've been fine all those years we've been apart," he said.

A staring contest started between the two brothers and MJ and Bomin were hesitant to break the two apart. Eventually Sungyeol backed down, sighing. "Right, I told you to forge your own path, I guess that means I can't stay around much longer huh?" He asked.

"I never said you had to just leave," said Daeyeol as he turned, walking in the direction of Ithaca with Bomin jumping over to follow him. "I'm saying it'll be easier on me since I am sitll wrapping my head around the fact that you're back," he said before sprinting off. Bomin turned to look at Sungyeol, a soft growl leaving him before he turned and followed after Daeyeol.

Sungyeol looked surprised at the information, though he knew he should've expected that. He turned to MJ who shrugged. "Go after him or go to Toronto, it's your choice," said MJ.

"Go with what your hearts tells you," said MJ. Sungyeol hesitated, his mind wanting to go home but his heart told him the opposite. He ended up rushing after where Daeyeol had run off to, missing the soft smile that appeared on MJ's face as he left.

"Good luck you two, I know you'll need it," said MJ as he sighed, sitting back down in his chair and contemplated his own options.

 

~



Daeyeol was happy that Sungyeol had decided to join them, and Bomin was in a better mood now that Sungyeol had decided to join them. The two of them were so in tuned with each other that Daeyeol's emotions sometimes rubbed off on Bomin due to how intricate their contract was.

"I don't know why I even thought of going home," said Sungyeol as they stopped by a stream to let Bomin drink from it. "You miss Hui," said Daeyeol as he checked his phone for anything new happening. "You miss your coven," he added. "It's natural you want to head home from here," he said.

"We'll be fine though," said Sungyeol as he looked ahead. "We have to be," said Daeyeol. "I don't think you realize how much your death affected everyone," he said. "I have an idea of it," said Sungyeol.

Bomin walked over after a few minutes and they were off again, keeping lake Eerie in to their left for the next few miles or so.

 

~



Their presence wasn't even that great compared to the stench of the 'shifters that were Jaehyun's pack. Daeyeol didn't want to stay in the area for too long, but he at least had to let the vampires that were a part of the pack know they were in the area to hunt before moving north. Bomin had been getting hungry again, and Daeyeol took it as the perfect opportunity to top off on his thirst.

Mark was the first they encountered, as he was patrolling the area due to an increase of activity in the area. "They have you patrolling now huh?" Asked Daeyeol as he stopped in front of Mark.

"What's it to you?" Asked Mark. "We're just passing through," said Sungyeol. "We're hunting then heading up to Montreal, can you pass that on to Jaehyun before he has a cow?" He asked. "He already knows you're here," said Mark as he shrugged.

"Let me guess, MJ let him know?" Asked Daeyeol. "Mhm," said Mark. "You're free to hunt but you can't stay in the territory," he said. "You'll have to move on, all three of you," he said.

Daeyeol looked down at Bomin who let out a huff, nodding to that. Bomin was getting tired, even Daeyeol could feel it, but he would continue on if they weren't allowed to rest for a bit.

"Alright," said Daeyeol. "We'll hunt then be on our way," he said. "Ace's move to Montreal is stirring up a lot of trouble around this side of lake Eerie so sorry, we'd normally let the fox stop and rest but Jaehyun isn't having it," said Mark. "It's fine," said Daeyeol. "I'll just carry him the rest of the way if I have to," he said.

"We'll be off to hunt then," said Sungyeol. "Be careful," said Mark. Daeyeol nodded and turned, running off with Bomin following after him. Sungyeol bowed before turning and following after Daeyeol.