Chapter 5

The Three Guardians

Kevin let out an exasperated sigh as he found 2 more vampires on his doorstep, the both of them looking sheepish as Kevin glared at them. "What do you want?" Asked Kevin. "We were told to come here, I think," said one of the vampires.

"You're with Seongyoon I suppose?" Asked Kevin. "Yeah," said the other vampire. "Youngtaek and Jangjun?" Asked Kevin. "Yes," said Youngtaek. "Is this them?" Kevin called out to Seongyoon who came out of the forest with Bomin. "Yeah," called Seongyoon. "Daeyeol should be back within the next few days," said Bomin as he shrugged. "No worries," said Kevin.

"You should know, if you're staying here you gota hunt animals," said Kevin. "We don't let vampires hunt humans here, unless you're Eunki," he said. "Fine with us," said Jangjun. "We're waiting like Seongyoon is to get our home back so," he said, shrugging.

"I'll let you go then," said Kevin. "Stay out of trouble," he said. Jangjun inclined his head before turning and sprinting over to Seongyoon. Youngtaek was a bit more hesitant, his sense of smell picking up on Yoohyeon's scent. "Oi," said Kevin, a growl in his tone. "Get out of here, before I make you yeah?" He asked. "Sorry," said Youngtaek as he forced himself to turn around and sprint over to Jangjun and Seongyoon. Bomin scoffs before turning and sprinting back into the forest, the three other vampires following after him.

"People," scoffed Kevin as he sighed, turning and walking back into the house.

 

~



"I feel bad for taking your room," said Yoohyeon as she was out getting groceries with Kevin. "It's fine," said Kevin. "I didn't really have much in that room anyway," he said. "I tend to sleep in my dog form so I just had a rug in that room," he said.

"Why didn't you sleep in a bed?" Asked Yoohyeon. "It didn't feel natural to me," said Kevin. "Eric and Jacob are the same way apparently," he said, shrugging. "Did you try to?" Asked Yoohyeon. "For a while yeah," said Kevin. "But I always ended up sleeping on the floor so the mattress was taken out of the room," he said.

"I wondered why your room seemed so bare," said Yoohyeon. "I didn't need a dresser with clothes in it, what can I say," Kevin said, shrugging. "No problem though, I sleep on the floor in Juyeon's room," he said. "He doesn't mind it, and I found a corner that I liked," he said.

"Don't your packmates find it weird?" Asked Yoohyeon as they walked the cart towards the checkout lines after getting everything they needed. "No," said Kevin. "Eric, Jacob and I were always weird, but everyone that wasn't part of Jacob's original pack came afterwards, and they don't know of our life before, well, except stories of what happened," he said.

 

~



"What do you want?" Asked Changmin as Yoohyeon stopped him as he was returning from patrolling outside. "I just want to talk," said Yoohyeon. "About?" Asked Changmin. "Kevin," said Yoohyeon.

"I just want your opinion of him," said Yoohyeon. "I see," hummed Changmin. "Sure," he said, moving passed Yoohyeon to go into the kitchen. Yoohyeon followed after him, leaning against the counter as Changmin got a bottle of water from the fridge.

"Where is Kevin anyway?" Asked Changmin. "He had to go see Jacob for a few days," said Yoohyeon. "Juyeon is here somewhere, but I don't know where he went off to," he said. "Huh, I thought he'd take you with him, I guess not," said Changmin. Yoohyeon shrugged.

"So what'd you want to know?" Asked Changmin. "When did you start changing?" Asked Yoohyeon. "After Kevin's death," said Changmin. "Juyeon was the last person to change before they died," he said, taking a sip of water before putting the bottle on the counter and turning his attention to Yoohyeon.

"So you don't know anything of before?" Asked Yoohyeon. "I don't," said Changmin as he shook his head no. "Chanhee and I heard stories, but we never met them before they died," he said.

"What's your opinion of the Kevin you know now and the Kevin you know from the stories you've been told?" Asked Yoohyeon. "My opinion hasn't really changed much," said Changmin. "From what I know Kevin was a great strategist," he said. "He still is, apparently," he added. "I see," said Yoohyeon.

"He wasn't the best fighter however," said Changmin. "But he compensated, by making sure we got out of there alive," he said. "You guys still have wars?" Asked Yoohyeon. "Not as often as before," said Changmin. "From asking Sangyeon Kevin was blaming himself for both of his brothers' deaths before he died," he said.

"Why so?" Asked Yoohyeon. "He was the one who told them how to do their battles," said Changmin. "He didn't think that things would end up the way they did and that Eric and Jacob would never return from the battles," he said.

"Do you think their father did this on purpose?" Asked Yoohyeon. "Why do you say that?" Asked Changmin. "Thinking back on it," hummed Yoohyeon. "From what I've learned from Juyeon the three brothers were powerful in their own right, and were about to overthrow their father before war claimed their lives," she said.

"It's possible," said Changmin. "Their father was a dictator, I still remember when they split all of us up to keep us from rebelling," he said. "It took many years for Kevin and his brothers to return but I feel like it was good they returned when they did," he said. "Some things changed within Kevin, things that I wouldn't know but Juyeon would," he said.

 

~



...Kevin stared down Jacob as Jacob glared back at him. "I can't let you go into this," he said. "The moment you do you'll be killed," he growled. "I have no choice," said Jacob. "I know this is not going to end well, but what other choice do we have?" He asked. "You have to keep Juyeon under control, and I need to bring my best fighters into this," he said.

"You better stay alive for this," said Kevin. "I swear on it," said Jacob. "We'll come back, and I'll do everything in my power to come back from this okay?" He asked. "Promise me?" Asked Kevin. "I promise," said Jacob as he nodded, turning and walking over to Hyunjae and Younghoon.

 

~



"...Jacob please," sobbed Kevin as he fell to his knees. "You promised," he said, hitting the ground with his fists as he leaned forward. "You promised damn it," he sobbed.

"Kevin," said Hyunjae as he stood in front of Kevin. "What do you want," said Kevin as his breath hitched, trying to calm himself down. "I think I know who's behind this war," said Hyunjae, causing Kevin to sit up, looking up at Hyunjae. "Tell me," said Kevin, a determined look appearing on his face.

 

~



Kevin sat down in the grass in his dog form, looking up at the sky in thought. "You're only like this when something's wrong," said Jacob as he walked over, patting Kevin on the head before turning to look up at the sky. "I'm just lost in my thoughts is all," said Kevin as he put up his human illusion.

"Is it about the human?" Asked Jacob as he turned to look at Kevin. "She can come stay here for a few days," he said. "It's not, surprisingly," said Kevin as he shook his head. "She does need a break, and the vampires would like a chance to come back to civilization for a bit," he said, turning to Jacob. "Do you mind?" He asked. "Nah," said Jacob as he shook his head.

"Well, I'll see you in a few days then," said Kevin as he stretched, dropping his human illusion before taking a few steps into the forest behind the property. "Be careful on the way back," said Jacob as he watched Kevin go. Kevin turned, nodding to Jacob before turning back to the forest and sprinting into it, heading home.