Chapter 17

The Three Guardians

Everyone met up at Jacob's house when word got around that Chanhee wanted to test their new pack members' tracking skills. Kevin was sure that one team would fail, as Juyeon was one of the best at not being found despite his large size. Joochan wasn't allowed to participate since his chip would lead them to Juyeon anyway, and Youngtaek wasn't a 'shifter anyway. It had been Jacob's idea to have the test in his territory since he wanted to see how Seungmin and Jaehyun worked as a team.

"I remember when you did this when choosing everyone that went into your pack," said Joochan. "It was a good way to tell if potential pack members would work well together," agreed Jacob. "Teamwork is a good way to determine how things go from this point on," he said.

"So my pack against yours?" Asked Kevin as he walked over with Youngtaek flanking him. Yoohyeon was nearby talking with Eric about how he was holding up and Eric was answering whatever questions she had, happy to be spending time with her.

"More like Seungmin and Jaehyun vs Donghyun and Jibeom," said Jacob as he shrugged. "Also, I didn't take you for the religious type Youngtaek," he said, noticing the cross earring on Youngtaek's left ear. "I never was," said Youngtaek as he shrugged. "But I guess I am now," he said.

"Alright," called Chanhee, catching everyone's attention as they turned to him. "This is a tradition that's been passed down from pack to pack," he said. "Since Juyeon is one of the fastest runners and the hardest to track down we'll have a test of teamwork," he said. "I'm giving Juyeon a head start," he added. "To make this really interesting," he said. Juyeon walked over after changing to his wolf form, nodding to Chanhee before running off into the forest.

"The test is simple, work as a team to find him," said Chanhee. "The first team to find him wins," he said. "Juyeon will howl once he is found, okay?" He asked. Seungmin, Jaehyun, Donghyun and Jibeom nodded. "Go change and wait, I will tell you when to go," said Chanhee, and they went to do so, soon coming back in their animal forms.

"This should get interesting," said Eric as he leaned against the porch railing. "You think so?" Asked Yoohyeon. "We don't know how well they work with each other," said Eric. "Or how different things would be since Joochan can't participate," he said.

"Who do you think will win?" Asked Yoohyeon. "Personally? I think Jacob's team," said Eric. "I actually agree," said Kevin as he walked over with Youngtaek, going to stand beside Yoohyeon. "No offense to Donghyun and Jibeom of course," he added. "But Seungmin and Jaehyun seem to work well together," he said. "It could be my strategist mind talking by this point but," he added, shrugging.

"How long do you think it'll be before Juyeon is found?" Asked Jacob. "Mm, probably an hour," said Kevin. "And that's me thinking that they're good at tracking," he added. "Not on par with me of course, but more on Chanhee and Changmin's level, when Changmin was alive anyway," he said.

"If they're anything like Jacob, it could take the entire afternoon," Eric said with a snicker, earning an annoyed growl from Jacob. "That was one time," said Jacob. "And we'll never let you live it down," Kevin said with a teasing grin.

A howl was heard in the distance, and Chanhee turned to Kevin who nodded. "He's hidden," said Kevin. "Alright, go," said Chanhee, and both teams rushed into the forest.

"Where is he?" Asked Jacob. "About a kilometer away judging from how far away the howling was, and if I remember correctly that's passed a huge river they have to find a way to cross, and he's literally standing on a cliff waiting for them," he said. "Right?" He asked turning to Jacob.

"I don't know about the cliff part, but yes, there's a river about a few hundred meters away that they'd have to cross," said Jacob. "How do you know this?" Asked Yoohyeon. "Sweden is home, we've spent so much time out here that we know the area like the back of our hands," said Kevin.

 

~



Seungmin and Jaehyun were fast, rushing towards where they heard the howl. Jaehyun was quick on his feet, but Seungmin was good at picking up scents. They had to get there before the other team. As they came across the river Jaehyun paused, and Seungmin nearly fell into the river if Jaehyun didn't quickly grab him by the tail.

Donghyun and Jibeom appeared nearby, having found paw prints ending nearby. They spotted each other before Donghyun and Jibeom jumped into the water and swam to the other side.

Seungmin and Jaehyun decided to look for another way to cross, finding a beaver dam to walk across a hundred meters upstream. Once they were across they both sprinted as fast as their legs could carry them to continue trying to find Juyeon.

Once across the water Jibeom and Donghyun sprinted towards where the pawprints continued, pushing their luck to try and find Juyeon before Seungmin and Jaehyun did.

 

~



"Hm, an hour into it," said Kevin as he tilted his head to the side. "Where do you think he's at?" Asked Youngtaek. "I think Juyeon is at the cliff," said Kevin. "I used to go there all the time with him when I was still a 'shifter," he said. "Well, Hyunjae used to accompany me then Juyeon joined me when we had a break with the war," he added.

"I remember that place," said Hyunjae. "You used to sit up there for hours," he said. "There used to be a bridge that connected the land together between the river," said Kevin. "I used to cross that," he said. "I haven't been that way in years," he hummed. "So I don't know if that bridge is still there or not," he said.

 

~



Juyeon watched the horizon below him, waiting for the inevitable as he listened for the sound of pawsteps. He wasn't too worried about being seen, as someone had to show up to consider it a win.

Footsteps alerted Juyeon to the arrival of a team, causing Juyeon to turn around and spot Donghyun and Jibeom, the both of them panting as they came to a stop in front of Juyeon. Seungmin and Jaehyun weren't too far behind, but it was clear who the winner was. Juyeon nodded to them before lifting his snout to the sky and howling.

 

~



"Who found him first?" Asked Jacob. "My team," Kevin said with a proud smirk, earning a scoff from Jacob. "Of course they did," said Jacob. Chanhee chuckled, sitting down with a sigh. "Well, at least I know they can track pretty well," he said. "I was gonna work with them on that anyway," he said.

"Can I go hunting?" Asked Youngtaek. "Don't take too long," said Kevin. "Once they get back we're leaving," he said. "Sure," said Youngtaek as he nodded. "Go," said Kevin. Youngtaek shrugged and ran off.

"We're leaving already?" Asked Yoohyeon. "You can stay if you want," said Kevin as he turned to Yoohyeon. "I'm sure Jacob won't mind," he said. "I don't mind," said Jacob. "I have to return to Norway," said Eric. "Right, Sunwoo can only do so much by himself," said Joochan.

"I'll come for a visit soon," said Yoohyeon. "Sure," said Eric as he nodded. "I'll bring her over, don't worry," said Jacob.

When Youngtaek returned with the others Kevin walked over and helped Chanhee stand, Chanhee moving away to change before coming back in his wolf form. "Good job," said Kevin as he nodded at Jibeom and Donghyun who nodded their heads. "It's time to go, we're leaving Yoohyeon here," he said. "Ready?" He asked. When everyone nodded Kevin dropped his human illusion and ran off, the others following after him.

"With that we should get going then," said Eric as he stretched. "Well, at least we'll be home in time for Sunwoo to make dinner?" Asked Joochan, earning a chuckle from Eric. "I guess," he said, soon leaving with Joochan.

 

~



"Well," said Jacob as he sighed, turning to Jaehyun and Seungmin. "We can work on your tracking, which is up to Hyunjae," he said. "I'm the worst tracker in this pack so," he said, scratching the back of his head. "That's putting it lightly," Sangyeon said with a snicker. "But yes, you're better off having Hyunjae teach you than the rest of us," he said.

"I hope you don't get bored while here," said Jacob as he turned to Yoohyeon. "I don't think I will," said Yoohyeon. "I used to watch Kevin spar with the others, they're learning quickly not to mess with Kevin," she said. "I'm sure we'll get their tracking skills up to par," she said. Jacob hummed in response.