Epilogue

The Three Guardians

Jaehyun finally got to play a game of chess with Kevin, a strategist between a strategist was the reasoning behind Jaehyun wanting to play against the king of strategy. Youngtaek was nearby, keeping watch over Yoohyeon as she tended to the small garden they had surrounded Changmin's grave with. Juyeon, Donghyun Jibeom and Chanhee were out doing normal human things for once, Chanhee wanting to do some shopping and others tagging along out of boredom.

"Why do I have a feeling that I'm going to lose?" Asked Jaehyun as he moved a piece around. "Because of this," said Kevin as he moved another piece and calling checkmate. "God damn it," said Jaehyun as he got up, sighing in anger as he glared down at the board.

"That game took less than an hour, a new record," said Kevin as he rubbed the back of his neck with his left hand. "Who's here?" Asked Youngtaek as he snapped to attention, standing up as he turned towards where he heard footsteps. Yoohyeon quickly went over to Kevin's side out of reflex, though Kevin remained relaxed as he looked down at the board again.

"It's just Bomin and Daeyeol," said Kevin as he went to reset the board. "You foxes have such a distinct sounding footstep that I knew who it was immediately," he said as Bomin walked over with Daeyeol keeping his distance.

"You've really kept the four tails on a leash," said Bomin. "Well, our contract kind of keeps it that way," said Kevin as Jaehyun sat down and turned to the board and made his first move once Kevin was done.

"You can go hunting, it's fine," Kevin said to Daeyeol who quickly ran back into the forest. He soon made a move, causing Jaehyun to make another move immediately. Bomin sat down to watch the game, his head tilting to the side as he watched Kevin make another move.

Yoohyeon went back to tending to the garden after a few minutes, with Youngtaek keeping an eye on the forest with a huff as he sat down.

"What's with the hostility anyway?" Asked Jaehyun as he made another move. "We've had a lot of vampires come through recently, apparently Jacob had some information to pass on," said Kevin as he countered the move. "This is the weirdest game of chess I've seen," said Bomin. "Well, I am constantly strategizing," said Kevin. "So this makes it harder on Jaehyun," he said as Jaehyun made another move. "I see," said Bomin as Kevin made another move, taking more of Jaehyun's pieces.

"How's the neighbors?" Asked Kevin as Jaehyun made a frustrated noise in the back of his throat before countering Kevin. "Better, now that they have their city back," said Bomin as Kevin countered the move again, taking more pieces. "Also I win," said Kevin as he took the king. "Damn it," whined Jaehyun.

"Seongyoon's trying to have the courage to show his face after everything," said Bomin. "I wouldn't mind him coming over to be honest," said Kevin as he turned to Bomin. "It wasn't his fault that Geumhyuk decided to try and take Yoohyeon," he said.

"I don't think it was their fault," said Jaehyun as he shrugged. "The circumstances were different due to the fox," he said. "I have a name you know," grumbled Youngtaek as he got to his feet when he heard footsteps again. "It's just Daeyeol," said Kevin as said vampire walked out of the forest.

"I should get going," said Jaehyun as he got up, stretching. "Thanks for the games," he said. "Sure," said Kevin as he nodded, going to pack up the board. "Say hi to Jacob for me," he said. "Will do," said Jaehyun as he left, rushing into the forest and heading home.

"What's up Daeyeol?" Asked Kevin as he turned to said person. "Nothing," said Daeyeol. "Just popping in for a visit," he said. "I see," hummed Kevin. "You heading over to Jacob's or leaving?" He asked. "Probably going to leave," said Daeyeol. "Just came to check on Yoohyeon," he said. "I'm doing fine," said Yoohyeon. "I know," said Daeyeol. "Still smelling good to us vampires but that can't be changed," he said.

"You're not gonna hurt her are you?" Growled Youngtaek. "Relax," said Kevin. "If he was, he wouldn't be here talking so casually," he said. "Besides, he's outnumbered anyway," he added, as Chanhee and the others walked over after returning from shopping and putting their things away.

"Can I go hunting?" Asked Youngtaek, glad to finally get a chance to hunt. "I suppose," hummed Kevin. "You joining him Bomin?" He asked, turning to Bomin. "Nah," said Bomin.

"We were just leaving actually," said Daeyeol. "Just came to check on Yoohyeon," he added. Bomin sighed and got up, walking over to Daeyeol. "Have fun where ever you end up next then," said Kevin. "We'll try," said Daeyeol before he turned and sprinted off with Bomin following after him. Youngtaek scoffed to himself before running into the forest to hunt.

"How was shopping?" Asked Kevin as he turned to the others. "Been fine," said Chanhee. "We got you lunch," he said. "Thanks," said Kevin. Yoohyeon walked over after cleaning up as Juyeon brought over bags of food for everyone.

 

~



Jacob sighed as he stood at the cliff that Kevin had spoke about. It really was a good spot to sit and relax at for a few hours that was for sure. "You're right, this is a good spot to just chill the whole day," he said, sitting down and letting his legs dangle off the edge. He hummed a tune, looking up at the sky,

"You're letting vampires into your territory now?" Came a voice as someone walked up behind Jacob. "It's been a while, Youngbin," hummed Jacob as he turned around to face Youngbin.

"What did you need me for that the others don't know?" Asked Youngbin. "Tell everyone," said Jacob as he got to his feet. "Yoohyeon is off limits," he said. "We have a fox keeping an eye on her, and he's just as fiercely protective over her as we are," he said. "The four of us will do everything to keep her by our side as our sibling," he said.

"I'll pass it on," said Youngbin. "I hope, you take good care of your half sister, she will need your help," he said. "The fox is a good body guard for her though," he added. "I'm going to hunt then," he said. "Animals please," said Jacob. "Sure," said Youngbin as he rushed off, leaving Jacob alone.

 

~



Eric and Joochan were currently sparring in human form, Joochan wanting to work on his fighting since it had been a while since he got to spar with Eric. Sunwoo was keeping an eye on the fight, his eyes following the movement closely. They were tanky, but Eric wanted to keep their fighting up to par so that if they were to face another war they would be ready to fight by the others' sides.

Joochan eventually fell to his knees, panting as Eric moved away. "Damn, I know you're indestructible but stop going hard will you?" He asked. "I have a chip, but even that has its limits," he said. "If I don't," said Eric as he sighed. "I get it," said Joochan. "I really do," he said. "We can't expect the others to go easy," he said.

"My turn," said Sunwoo as he walked over. Eric nodded and started the spar after Joochan moved a safe distance away. Sunwoo was quick to react to Eric as Eric upped the ante in speed. Sunwoo grew more and more frustrated as Eric started pushing him back.

It all came to an end when Eric shoved Sunwoo back, sending him into a tree with a grunt. "Sorry," said Eric. "No no," said Sunwoo as he got up. "It's okay," he said. "We'll take a break," said Eric. "Then we can go back to it," he said.

 

~



Eric and Kevin joined Jacob on the cliff after coming over for a visit, going to sit beside him. "I see what you mean now, by just sitting up here for hours at a time," said Jacob as he looked up at the sky. "It's a good spot to just lose yourself in," agreed Kevin. Eric hummed in response.

"Was it because of us?" Asked Eric. "That you ended up here?" He asked. "Yes and no," said Kevin as he shook his head. "The war was annoying to deal with for sure, so I just came up here when there was a lull in the battle and observed everything in case they needed me," he said.

"We'll expect to face some resistance now that Youngbin put word out," said Jacob. "I know," said Kevin. "My side is ready," he said. "So is mine," said Jacob. "Same," said Eric. "We'll come back stronger than ever," he hummed. "Definitely," agreed Jacob and Kevin.