Chapter 4

The Three Guardians

Howls erupted from the forest near the house, and Kevin turned to the sound, tensing on instinct as he knew who was howling. Footsteps were heard and someone rushed into view, with Eunki going to stop them as he stepped in front of the person's path. "Oi," said Eunki as he grabbed onto the intruder's shoulders. "What the hell are you doing here again?" He asked.

"Ah," hummed Kevin. "Bomin," he said. "I was not expecting another visit from you this soon," he said. "I got separated from Daeyeol," said Bomin as he moved away from Eunki. "I don't know where he went," he said. "Have you seen him?" He asked. "He hasn't come by no," said Kevin. "The human is out of the area for now, she's shopping with Juyeon," he said.

"Where's Gunmin?" Asked Yunho as he looked at MK. "He went running with Changmin and Chanhee when I saw him last," said MK. "Why?" He asked. "Something is up," said Yunho. "The contract is reacting to something," he said.

Footsteps were heard and Daeyeol rushed out of the forest with Gunmin close behind him. "Enough Gunmin!" Shouted Yunho. Gunmin slid to a stop as Daeyeol stopped beside Bomin. Changmin and Chanhee came out of the forest, looking warily at Daeyeol.

"Were you hunting in our lands?" Asked Kevin as he turned to Daeyeol. "No," said Daeyeol. "I swear," he added. "There's only one reason those two would leave patrolling to chase after a vampire," said Kevin. "You know the rules Daeyeol," he growled.

"I don't smell any humans on him," said Yeosang. "I've hunted my one kill for the duration of my stay," said Eunki. "So whatever happened isn't my fault," he said.

"He didn't do anything," said Bomin. "I didn't do anything either, I don't know why they were hostile towards us," he said.

"The only reason they would be, is if you screwed up," said Kevin. "We didn't though!" Said Bomin. "We hunted in Russia before coming here," he said. "I hunt animals," said Yeosang. "So it wasn't me," he said.

"You're right, it wasn't those two," came a new voice as someone stepped out of the treeline. "I wasn't aware this territory belonged to 'shifters," he said as he stared down Chanhee and Changmin who turned to the newcomer.

"And who are you?" Asked Kevin. "I'm Seongyoon," said Seongyoon. "I was kicked out of Russia and this was the closest country I managed to get to," he said. "What did you do to piss Yuri off?" Asked Kevin. "I didn't," said Seongyoon. "He was there, and well," he said, shrugging.

"What was he doing there?" Asked Kevin. "I don't know," said Seongyoon. "I was leader of St Petersburg's coven before he showed up," he said. "I guess he wanted an excuse to be close to this territory," he said.

"If you're going to be staying here an extended period of time you're gonna have to start hunting animals," said Kevin. "I see no lies in your story, however I will have to contact Yuri to see what's up," he said. "The Russian accent really cements it, but next time don't wander into a territory you don't know," said Kevin. "I won't," said Seongyoon. "And I'll be here for a bit, I don't know when I can return to my own city," he said.

"Go make sure we don't have any other stragglers," said Kevin as he turned to Changmin and Chanhee. "Kill off any who don't have a Russian accent or we don't know," he said. Changmin and Chanhee nod before turning and running back into the forest.

"Is there any others in your coven we need to watch out for?" Asked Kevin as he turned to Seongyoon. "Jangjun, though I think he ended up down South, we were separated," said Seongyoon. "Maybe Youngtaek," he added. "But I don't know where he disappeared off to after we separated," he said.

 

~



When Juyeon came back with Yoohyeon Changmin and Chanhee were done patrolling for the time being, after making sure their new guests would stick to the diet of hunting animals while in the territory. Yeosang, Mingi and Eunki left after a few hours, going to visit Jacob before going to see Eric and leaving the trio of countries all together via plane.

Daeyeol and Bomin were only around long enough to check on Yoohyeon before deciding to just roam the forest and try out the new diet, the smell becoming overwhelming and almost causing them both to go after her. Seongyoon stayed away for the sake of just trying to stick with the new diet, though he now found himself patrolling with Daeyeol and Bomin. Kevin didn't mind their presence as long as they didn't break any rules, and it gave Changmin and Chanhee a chance to finally have a break from patrolling.

 

~



"We got new guests huh?" Asked Yoohyeon as she was relaxing on the back deck with Kevin. "It's Daeyeol and Bomin," said Kevin. "Along with Seongyoon who had no prior knowledge of those two until a few days ago," he said. "What's he doing here?" Asked Yoohyeon. "It's only temporary, as he belongs to the St Petersburg coven in Russia," said Kevin. "Ah," hummed Yoohyeon.

"Where's the rest of his coven?" Asked Yoohyeon. "I don't know," said Kevin. "His story checks out though, because Yuri was able to confirm everything," he said. "I recommend staying away from them for the time being though," he said. "Due to the way I smell to them?" Asked Yoohyeon. Kevin nodded. "It's gonna be hard but we'll figure it out," he said. "Daeyeol and Bomin are trying their best, and Seongyoon refuses to come nearby anyway," he said.

"They were tolerant of me before though," said Yoohyeon. "They were trying to get you to safety," said Kevin. "It overrides every instinct a vampire has," he said. "Vampires can feel that sort of thing?" Asked Yoohyeon. "Surprisingly yes," said Kevin.

"How do you know this?" Asked Yoohyeon. "Because my brothers and I are the same way when it comes to our pack," said Kevin. "I've seen it countless times with other packs, and even other vampire covens," he said.

 

~



"We're off," said Yunho as he met Kevin outside after MK drove over with the car they were renting for the rest of their journey. "Good luck on your other hunts," said Kevin. "I'll let Jacob and Eric know you're coming over for missions," he said. "Alright," said Yunho.

"Is there anything else?" Asked Kevin. "No, but I'll let you know if something comes up," said Yunho. "Okay," said Kevin. "Good luck," he said. Yunho nodded and got into the car after making sure everything was packed and MK drove off.

 

~



"How are the vampires doing?" Asked Kevin as he turned to Chanhee who walked over after changing and putting on his clothes. "It seems they're fine," said Chanhee. "Daeyeol had to leave though, he needed to speak with his brother," he said. "Hopefully Yuri doesn't yell at him for that," said Kevin. "Yuri is aware of what's going on I'm sure," said Chanhee. "I'm sure he is," hummed Kevin as he nodded.
 

~



"...You know as well as I do that as soon as Kevin dies we lose this war," said Jacob as he, Eric and Kevin were discussing strategies. "We can't let you on the front lines Kevin, you're the worst fighter of everyone here," he said.

"I can't just let you three go to your death!" Said Kevin as he slammed his hand down on the table. "I refuse to send either of you to your death until we come up with something that will actually work," he said.

"We're running out of time," said Eric. "I'll go, and I'm taking Sangyeon and Younghoon with me," he said. "Don't worry, we'll come back alive," he said. "Do they even know how to cover your brawler style fighting?" Asked Jacob. "We don't have any choice at this point," said Eric. "We're running out of time," he repeated.

"Promise me one thing," said Kevin as he went and put his hands on Eric's shoulders. "Come back alive, okay?" He asked. "The three of you better come back alive damn it," he said. "We'll come back alive, don't worry," said Eric.

"Here's the strategy then," said Kevin as he laid out the map on the table and showed Eric what to do when they ran into the enemy in certain spots on the map. Their father wasn't offering any help at all it seemed, but Eric easily compensated for the lack of soldiers simply for being the tankiest.

 

~



The battle had been won, but at the cost of Eric's life. "Eric," said Kevin as he fell to his knees. "Damn it Eric you promised!" He screamed into the sky above him. Sangyeon and Younghoon could only offer their presence to help comfort Kevin as he grieved over the loss of the youngest in the pack at the time. Kevin was left sobbing on the ground as he blamed himself for what happened.