Chapter 16

The Three Guardians

Haknyeon's funeral was a quiet affair, with Eric, Sunwoo and Joochan burning his body and putting a cross in the ground by the house in his honor. It was then that Eric finally allowed himself to break down, falling to his knees and sobbing in front of the cross. Sunwoo put a hand on Eric's shoulder in comfort, unable to do much else but that. Joochan kept a respectable distance away, keeping his head bowed in respect.
 

~



Younghoon's funeral was also a quiet affair, with Jacob getting the honor of burning his body with Sangyeon and Hyunjae by his side in support. Jacob kept a straight face throughout the event, though he was slightly shaking, unshed tears shining his eyes as he clenched his hands into fists. He had to stay strong for them, whether them being his brothers or the rest of his pack. Seungmin and Jaehyun kept a respectable distance away, knowing better than to disturb them while in mourning.

After the body was ashes Jacob stuck a cross in the ground near the house, taking a shaky breath as he did so. He moved away, closing his eyes and letting the tears finally fall. Sangyeon put a comforting hand on his shoulder and Hyunjae stayed nearby to bring comfort, standing back to back with Jacob as he looked up at the sky.

 

~



Kevin surprisingly wasn't the one openly grieving for Changmin like Chanhee was. Kevin had since cried out his grief days ago, after all was said and done with the war. He kept a calm posture as Chanhee was the one to burn Changmin's body. Juyeon, who was now walking with a slight limp like Chanhee was, stood nearby to offer comfort and support. Yoohyeon, Donghyun, Youngtaek and Jibeom were nearby to watch the body burn, keeping their heads bowed in respect.

Once the body was ashes Chanhee went to stick the cross in the ground by the house, stepping back and turning to Kevin who dropped his human illusion and lifted up his snout to the sky and howled a goodbye for their lost pack members. Chanhee and Juyeon soon changed into their wolf forms and joined Kevin in the howling, knowing full well that the others in the pack heard them.

 

~



It was a few weeks later, that Youngtaek's fate would be decided. Since the attack Youngtaek had done everything he could to prove to them that he was as much of a victim of what had happened as they were, but Kevin was adamant about keeping Youngtaek there with them and it wasn't like Youngtaek had anyone to return to. Seongyoon had kicked him out of the coven after Kevin had returned home and it had left Youngtaek with nowhere to go.

"I could kill you, I could rip out all but one of your tails, I could do anything, but I think I'm just gonna keep you under my protection," said Kevin as he stood in front of Youngtaek who was strapped to a chair, staring up at him.

"The only thing I ask of you is to protect my sister," said Kevin as he put his hands in his pockets. "Are you fine with that?" He asked. "And if I say no?" Asked Youngtaek. "Then I kill you," said Kevin as he shrugged. "Simple," he said.

"Unless you want me to cut off your tails and leave you with just one," Kevin said, shrugging. "It's too bad though, that you probably won't survive that," he said. Youngtaek hummed, looking down at his restraints. "I have no choice then?" He asked. "No," said Kevin.

"What will happen to me then?" Asked Youngtaek. "Nothing," said Kevin. "All you have to do is just protect my sister," he said. "The half human?" Asked Youngtaek.

"The what now?" Asked Kevin. "You don't know she's only half human? That was why Geumhyuk was after her," said Youngtaek. "He's been looking for her since the end of the war," he said. "I don't think others will look for her though, not after the war you fought just for her safety," he said.

"Which war was this?" Asked Kevin. "The second world war? I don't remember," said Youngtaek. "I've been with that douche bag since before then," he said. "From what he said she's half vampire, but not enough to have to drink blood," he said.

"Interesting," hummed Kevin. "I'll have to ask more about it when Bomin comes over again," he said. "He probably knows more than I do," hummed Youngtaek.

"Well?" Asked Kevin. "Which is it?" He asked. "If I do this, I'm free to hunt?" Asked Youngtaek. "No humans," said Kevin. "I'm fine with that," said Youngtaek. "Okay," said Kevin as he went to cut the bindings free, feeling a familiar jolt as he let Youngtaek go. "Don't go against the new contract now, I can end you at any point," he said. "I swear on it," said Youngtaek as he nodded, standing when Kevin moved away. "Go hunt then, I must try to get more information out of Bomin," said Kevin. Youngtaek nodded and ran out of the house, straight to the forest.

 

~



Bomin showed up a few weeks later, his hands in his pockets as Kevin opened the front door. "Where's Daeyeol?" Asked Kevin. "Visiting your neighbors," said Bomin as he shrugged. "Ah," hummed Kevin.

"What did you need me for?" Asked Bomin. "Ah, right! I have some questions about my sister," said Kevin. "We can take this to the backyard," he said, moving to let Bomin in before closing the door. Bomin followed Kevin outside and they sat on the back porch.

"How long have you known Yoohyeon?" Asked Kevin as he turned to Bomin. "A long time," said Bomin as he shrugged, leaning back against the chair he sat in. "When was she born?" Asked Kevin.

"That I'm not sure of," said Bomin. "But I rescued her from one of the concentration camps around 1944," he said. "I think she was somewhere in her 20's?" He asked, his head tilting to the side in thought.

"Not sure exactly how she became half vampire though," hummed Bomin as he thought more about it. "Female 'shifters are rare, right?" He asked. "They are, almost as rare as the female werewolves," hummed Kevin as he thought about it. "The pure bloods anyway," he added as an afterthought.

"When did you die again?" Asked Bomin. "Just at the end of the 1st world war," said Kevin. "She might've been born around then, I don't know," hummed Bomin. "Records of that time are hard to come across," he said. "Especially if they were sent to the concentration camps," agreed Kevin as he sighed, leaning back in his seat.

"Who's here?" Asked Bomin as he picked up on the nervous tic that Kevin usually did when someone was approaching. "It's just Donghyun and Jibeom," said Kevin as said coyotes walked out of the forest. Bomin turned to said people, waving in greeting.

"Anything to report?" Asked Kevin as he turned to Donghyun and Jibeom. Donghyun shook his head. "Go take a shower and rest then, Youngtaek should be returning with Yoohyeon, Chanhee and Juyeon soon," said Kevin. Donghyun and Jibeom nodded before going to do so.

"So that's what happened to the four tails huh?" Asked Bomin as he turned back to Kevin who nodded. "They make quite the duo I tell you," said Kevin as he chuckled some, rubbing the back of his neck with his left hand that now had a small gold bracelet on the wrist. It didn't go unnoticed by Bomin who simply shrugged at that.

"Please tell me you don't get messy like Youngtaek does," said Kevin as he turned to Bomin, causing Bomin to scoff. "Please, I may only have one tail but I have more class than he does," said Bomin. "I at least clean my mess," he said.

"Oi," called Youngtaek as he walked over with Yoohyeon after they got back from shopping. "I've gotten better at my hunts, I swear," he said. "Yeah yeah, go hunting," said Kevin as he waved Youngtaek off, earning a scoff from Youngtaek. "I'll join you actually," said Bomin as he got to his feet.

"Can you keep up with me?" Asked Youngtaek. "Is that a challenge?" Asked Bomin. "Oh definitely," said Youngtaek as he rushed into the surrounding forest. "Have fun," Kevin said with a snicker, earning a sigh from Bomin before he rushed after Youngtaek.

"How was shopping?" Asked Kevin as he turned to Yoohyeon who went to sit across from him with a sigh. "Exhausting," said Yoohyeon. "Who could believe a fox like him could have so much energy," she said. "He's just happy to finally be away from him," hummed Kevin. "I'm sure," said Yoohyeon as she sighed again.

"How were Juyeon and Chanhee today?" asked Kevin. "They're fine," said Yoohyeon. "Chanhee wants to test Donghyun and Jibeom's tracking skills, with Juyeon being the bait," she said. "Can't wait to see that," Kevin said, the image of Donghyun and Jibeom trying to find Juyeon making him chuckle. "Honestly? Neither can I," Yoohyeon said with a giggle, earning a soft smile from Kevin.