slow cooker

all my stars
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Our love's worth waiting for

Just let it stew some more

Bring out each flavor and spice

Stir up what's mine and yours

Spill it all on the floor, yeah

 

 

///

 

 

Yongsun placed her bag on the seat next to hers and apologised repeatedly to her friend who has been waiting for her for over an hour. "I'm sorry, an inmate refused to do strip search, so I had to wait awhile before I could evaluate her."

 

"Don't worry." Chorong smiled, pushing a cup of iced water towards her friend.

 

"Thanks. Did you order yet?"

 

"I did. I ordered your favorite beef tripe and tteokbokki."

 

"You're the best." Yongsun's dimples were on display and of course Chorong was going to about it.

 

"So is there a reason why those dimples are making an entrance after so long?" Chorong grinned when red was painting across her best friend's cheeks.

 

"Wha- What are you even talking about?"

 

"Sweetie, I haven't seen you smile like this since... You know."

 

"I smile!" 

 

"Yeah, but not like just now." 

 

"Okay, fine." Yongsun took a deep breath. "There's someone. But hey-" Yongsun had to pull an imaginary zip across her lips to make her same age friend calm down and not make a noise. "But I'm not sure. Okay? It's wrong and I'm not sure."

 

"What is so wrong about having feelings for someone?"

 

"When she's on the other side?"

 

Chorong's mouth slowly hangs wide open when she realised what Yongsun was talking about. "No."

 

"Close your mouth before you catch a fly."

 

"No... No. God, no! You can't have feelings for an inmate!" Chorong whispered the last word, afraid that someone would hear them.

 

"I'm pretty sure I said I know it's wrong." Yongsun sighed, "Look, she's intriguing to me. She's too good for prison, okay? Maybe I just want to help her be the person she has always been. She's a mess right now and I'm trying to control my feelings because I don't want to take advantage of her."

 

"I don't want to see you get hurt, Yongsun."

 

"I know, I know."

 

After an hour of catching up with her best friend, Yongsun returned to prison. She didn't have any sessions for the rest of the day, so she figured she'd do some paperwork. She heard from Hyejin that there'd be a few admissions later, but she'd have to check with her again.

 

 

. . .

 

 

A knock on the door made Yongsun look up from her pile of paperwork.

 

"Come in." Yongsun said.

 

"Moon said she has an appointment with you but I don't see it in the schedule? Does she have an appointment?" Officer Seohyun asked, waving a clipboard at the psychologist.

 

Yongsun looked at Byulyi behind Seohyun, her pleading eyes telling her that she needed to talk to her urgently. 

 

"Uh y-yeah, sure. Yeah, she does. I um, I just forgot to put that in the system. So yeah no, I mean yeah, she has one." Yongsun grabbed her notepad and asked for Byulyi to come into her office.

 

Seohyun looked at Yongsun with a suspicious look but then left the office. She closed the door behind her and waited outside.

 

"You still at lying." Byulyi teased.

 

"Then you should stop making me lie for you." Yongsun tucked a strand of hair behind her ear.

 

"Hey, I'm sorry. I won't do it again." Byulyi said when she realised how stressful it must have been for the older woman.

 

"It's okay. What is it, Byulyi?" 

 

Byulyi tossed a letter on the coffee table carelessly. "I'm getting a parole. My parole hearing is in a month."

 

"Well, that's good! It's good. You'll be free soon, Byulyi!"

 

"No. No!" Byulyi raised her voice, scaring Yongsun a little. "I'm sorry."

 

"Talk to me?" Yongsun placed a comforting hand on Byulyi's hand that was slightly trembling. 

 

Byulyi felt calmer and weird when she felt the older woman's hand on hers, but she quickly shook that feeling off.

 

"I don't want to get out. I can't get out of here, Yongsun."

 

"Why?"

 

"Why? You want to know why?" Byulyi yanked her hand away from Yongsun's. "Because the last time I was free, the last time I was outside, I killed someone! So how can I go back out there? I'm a danger to society, Yongsun. There's a reason why I'm in here."

 

"Look, Byul, you're panicking. And it's normal. The last time you were free you committed a crime. I understand that. But you owe it t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter