mad world

all my stars
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

All around me are familiar faces

Worn out places, worn out faces

Bright and early for their daily races

Going nowhere, going nowhere

 

 

Yongsun gave a brief nod to the prison guard who opened the gates for her. She stepped into the space that housed too many inmates. The short, black haired woman was dressed in a very straightened white blouse paired with cream colored culottes. Upon entering the facility, catcalling was being heard from everywhere as inmates gathered at the fences, whistling at Yongsun, looks of lust painted across the faces of the too many women in the yard.

 

Yongsun smiled gently at them, "Have a great day." Yongsun waved, and before the catcalling gets louder, the correctional officers shouted over them, getting them to go back to their activities.

 

"Have a great day? Really, Yong? They're in freaking prison." Hyejin, the Governor of Cheongju Women's Correctional Institution scoffed.

 

Hyejin and Yongsun have been friends for the longest time. When Hyejin heard that her friend was appointed to her prison as the new psychologist to help the inmates, Hyejin couldn't be happier. Working together have been a dream of theirs, and even though working in a prison is not what they both imagined, they've come to accept that they both love what they do.

 

"How many times have I told you that you've got to stop treating them like animals? They're humans, and they have feelings!" Yongsun struggled with her box for a minute, but managed to find the strength to carry them until they were at her office.

 

"It's a miracle that none of the inmates you work with has eaten you alive, you know that?" 

 

"I'm a psychologist, I know what to do to get into their minds, Hyejin."

 

"Whatever." Hyejin opened the door to Yongsun's new office, handing her a key card along the way. Hyejin personally took some time off to decorate the office just how the taller woman likes it.

 

Yongsun placed her box on the single chair opposite her desk, Hyejin pointed at a folder that was placed on the coffee table in the middle of the office.

 

"What's that?" Yongsun flipped open the folder, revealing an inmate's information.

 

"That's the first inmate that you need to talk to. She's the boss here, and she's currently in the Hole for assault of an inmate." Hyejin said, her voice smothered with concern.

 

Looking briefly at the file, Yongsun nodded, "I can talk to her." 

 

"I know you work with inmates for a long time now, but Yongsun, you need to be careful of her. She knows how to get into people's mind."

 

"I know how to work with inmates and troubled minds, I can handle it." Yongsun put the file away, "Bring me to her in an hour, okay? I'll settle in and go over her documents more thoroughly."

 

Hyejin nodded and left the office for her friend and colleague to settle into her new work environment. 

 

 

. . . 

 

 

After an hour, Hyejin and Yongsun found themselves walking towards the solitary confinement, also known as the Hole, with two other correctional officers following them closely behind. Any inmates who tried to follow them or catcall Yongsun will be turned away. Deep down, Hyejin knows that the inmates just wanted a look at their boss.

 

"How long she in there for?" Yongsun asked, as they were nearing the Hole.

 

"Two weeks. She's on her last two days now."

 

"And no one's around, other than her?" Yongsun looked around as they entered the Hole, noticing that the other cells were all empty, and only one door was locked with seven different locks.

 

"We do not throw any inmates here while she's being confined. It's dangerous. When she wants to get a message out, she has ways to get them out." Hyejin shrugged, "Bribing, shivving, biting, banging, slitt

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter