indigo

all my stars
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

If you're feeling indigo

Why not try the lights

 

 

Wheein's legs were bouncing up and down while she chewed on gummy worms she got from the commissary, even though the commissary was not opened until about an hour later. But being able to just get into the prison store and take whatever she wanted at any time is just one of the perks of being the Boss' Number One. 

 

When the door to the neat and clean office opened, the inmate turned around so fast her neck could snap. "Hi, Miss-"

 

"Call me Yongsun." Yongsun smiled as she put her transparent bag onto her desk.

 

"Hi, Yongsun," Wheein kept her half eaten pack of gummy worms safely into the pockets of her hoodie. "We need to make this, um, whatever this is, quick. Because Byulyi unnie will be released from the Hole soon and I really need to be in our block to help her catch up with everything that's happened for the past two weeks."

 

Yongsun laughed at the inmate waving her hands around as she spoke. Something that she should take note of. That Wheein's movements get bigger when she's anxious.

 

"Wheein, right?" Wheein nodded. "Why don't you pour us a cup of tea?" Yongsun gestured at the pot of tea placed on the center of the coffee table.

 

Wheein nodded and poured two cups of tea as told by Yongsun while the older woman settled in. 

 

Five minutes went by and Yongsun was ready to start her session with Wheein. Yongsun managed to convince Hyejin that having sessions with inmates close to Byulyi will help her understand the Boss more, and because the key to getting into Byulyi's mind is to get her to open up. If Byulyi's girls trust Yongsun, then Byulyi probably will start to open up as well.

 

"So, you're close with Byulyi?"

 

Wheein chuckled, "Very. I'm Byulyi unnie's Number One."

 

"And that means?" Yongsun scribbled the person that Byulyi trusts the most in this prison on her notepad.

 

"That means I am Byulyi unnie's Number One. I am the most important to Byulyi unnie. Also, if she's in the Hole then I get to make all the decisions."

 

"So you're sort of like the Deputy Boss? Like there's Governor in this prison, and there's Deputy Governor?"

 

"You know what, yeah! I like that. I'm Deputy Boss."

 

Trusts people easily.

 

Loyal.

 

Cute.

 

Wheein inched forward, trying to take a peek at Yongsun's notepad. "What are you writing?"

 

"Oh, you know, some notes for the report. If you come for your sessions, when I meet with the board, I'll get to put in a good word for you. I see that you're being considered for parole if you behave well for the next two years."

 

Wheein nodded understandingly and then slid back into her chair. She took out her half eaten pack of gummy worms from her pocket and then started chewing on them one by one again.

 

Yongsun let out a motherly smile.

 

Likes gummy worms.

 

Willing to let down her facade when she feels safe and warm.

 

“So do you ever see yourself getting out of here?”

 

“Every day.” Wheein looked up, eyes sparkling which Yongsun doesn’t see much in the sea of gray. But those sparkles were gone as soon as they appeared.

 

“There’s nothing wrong with seeing yourself out of here in what, seven years? Five with good behaviour.” Yongsun looked down at Wheein’s file where the length of her sentence was written there. 

 

Wheein kept the pack of gummy worms that was now left with maybe two or three into her pocket again. “Uh...” Wheein looked around suspiciously. 

 

Being the experienced prison psychologist, Yongsun knew what the younger woman was worried about.

 

“Don’t worry, Wheein, everything you say here is between the two of us. It’s completely safe. There are no ears on the walls. And whatever you say will not be in this notepad.”

 

Yongsun closed her notepad and tossed it behind her, not giving a on where it’ll end up. 

 

Wheein let out a small sigh, “I want to get out of here, but I’m worried about Byulyi unnie. I don’t know how she’ll do without me here.”

 

“She relies on you?”

 

“We rely on each other. We go way back, Yongsun. I don’t have anyone outside, until Byulyi unnie found me. I really, really want to get out of here some day and build a life for myself outside. But Byulyi unnie... She has no one.” As if being burned by hot water, Yongsun could see Wheein wince. The younger woman realised she had shared too much about her Boss.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter