the promise

all my stars
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

If you need a friend

Don't look to a stranger

You know in the end

I'll always be there

 

Yongsun read the time on her watch, and she needed to call Byulyi to let her know that she probably wouldn’t be able to make it for their lunch. She didn’t want to be late and then let the younger woman know she wasn’t going to be there. 

 

“You know you can leave me alone here for awhile, right? Or have the kind woman at the counter watch me for a bit, right?”

 

Hayoung’s voice brought Yongsun back and she definitely could see their family resemblance.

 

“You think you’re so smart, don’t you?” Yongsun tapped the tip of Hayoung’s nose. “Stay here, little one.”

 

“I’m not little!” Yongsun heard Hayoung yelled as she walked out of the cafe. 

 

Yongsun dialled Byulyi’s number, hoping the younger woman wasn’t in class or that her phone didn’t ring loud.

 

“Hey?”

 

“Hey, um… About lunch… Hayoung made a scene and her parents thought it’d be good that we spend some time together. Can we take a rain check today? I know it’s really last minute and I’m really sorry, but I—I do also want to spend some time with her.” 

 

“Or, I could join you and Hayoung? If you guys don’t mind, that is.” 

 

“N—No, oh my— Of course not! Byul, are you serious?”

 

“I’ll see you later.”

 

Yongsun couldn’t believe what she just heard.

 

Did Byulyi just asked if she could join her and Hayoung for lunch?

 

Byulyi wants to spend time with her and her daughter? 

 

Hell, yes. 

 

 

When Hayoung was too engrossed in her waffles to pay attention to her surrounding, Byulyi reached across the table and softly held Yongsun’s hand.

 

“I’m sorry for my behaviour last night. I shouldn’t just shut you off like that.” 

 

“No, no, Byul. Don’t apologise. I should’ve known this day would come.” 

 

Byulyi smiled. 

 

To Yongsun’s surprise, she didn’t expect Byulyi to come around so soon. She even thought Byulyi would break up with her. 

 

“Mo—“ Hayoung stopped herself, and shook her head, “Yong—“ Hayoung stopped herself again.

 

Finally, it occured to Yongsun that Hayoung didn’t know what to call her. The psychologist knew that the little girl didn’t feel right calling her Mom or by her name. Of course, Yongsun knew that Hayoung looking her up was just a way to get her parents’ attention, and that she knew how much her parents love her. 

 

“It’s okay, little one. You can call me whatever you want. Now, what do you need?” Yongsun took a napkin and wiped the mess on Hayoung’s face that was basically whipped cream and chocolate syrup.

 

“Can I have more waffles, Mama?” Hayoung asked cutely, in a way that it would be impossible for anyone to say no.

 

Yongsun’s heart melted a little at what Hayoung just called her. But no, Yongsun can’t feel this way. Hayoung’s not her daughter, she only gave birth to her. Her real mother is Irene Bae. 

 

“Of course you can.” Yongsun stood up and walked towards the counter to join the queue to place an order for another set of waffles.

 

There was a comfortable silence between Hayoung and Byulyi. There was quite a long queue at the counter, so it was taking longer than expected to place an order. 

 

“You’re pretty.” Hayoung’s soft voice brought Byulyi back to reality. 

 

“You’re pretty too,” Byulyi said. “You look just like Yongsun, you know?”

 

“I think she’s prettier.” 

 

“You’re both pretty, how about that?” Byulyi grinned. 

 

Hayoung nodded her head vigorously and they fell into a comfortable silence again. 

 

But not for long, though. 

 

Byulyi found Hayoung to be a talkative child.

 

“So are you and Mama married? Will I have three mothers? What should I call you?” 

 

“No, no and Byulyi is fine.” 

 

Hayoung scrunched up her nose. 

 

“So are you close to Mama?” 

 

Byulyi nodded, “We are very close.”

 

Yongsun placed the receipt for the newly ordered waffles on the table before asking, “Waffles are coming right up. What were you two talking about?” 

 

Before Byulyi could say anything, Hayoung beat her to it. “We were just talking about you bringing us to the themed park after waffles!”

 

“Cheeky.” Byulyi pinched Hayoung’s chubby cheek, causing the little girl to giggle.

 

“Oh, we are?” Yongsun looked at Byulyi, unsure if the younger woman would want to join them. 

 

“We are.” Byulyi said in a firm voice. 

 

 

Yongsun sat Hayoung down on a bench while she took a piece of tissue and began dabbing on the wound on the little girl’s knees that were now bleeding.

 

“I told you not to run that fast! Now how am I going to answer to your parents? They’re going to be heartbroken!” Yongsun’s brows were knitted in a permanent frown. 

 

Hayoung had run too fast towards the churros stand and fell down when she tripped. 

 

“You’re my Mama too, aren’t you heartbroken?” Hayoung asked in a whiny voice. 

 

To both Yongsun and Byulyi’s surprise, Hayoung did not cry or fuss about her injury. The little girl was taking it well when Yongsun dabbed on the wound while Byulyi ran to the nearest drugstore to get some antiseptic cream.

 

“Of cours

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter