Best of Me -3-

Chaennie Collections vol 2.

“Nini I’m here!” Rosie smiles, peeking her head inside Jennie’s office, holding up a lunch bag, “And I brought lunch.”

 

“Well this is a surprise…I thought you were going to have lunch with Mina today.” Jennie smiles.

 

It’s been 2 months since Rosie left Japan and more and more memories have been coming back, especially memories of her and Jennie. Mina and Sana are also still in Seoul mostly due to Rosie and, surprisingly, Jennie’s, insistence of the two staying longer even if Jennie has to call Osaka National Hospital to make arrangements, which she actually did.

 

“I was, but Sana said and I quote ‘go back to your fiance Park, stop clinging onto my Mitang.’” Rosie tries her best to imitate Sana’s annoyed voice, causing Jennie to chuckle at the cute attempt, “Ah so I’m just your second choice. I see how it is.” Jennie pouts, acting disappointed.

 

“Ayy~ you know it’s not like that..I just like teasing Sana so much.” Rosie explains, moving the papers from Jennie’s desk so she can unpack their lunch she made herself.

 

“Hmm really?” Jennie watches the dark haired girl in front of her carefully.

 

“I really miss you.” The words came out before Jennie even realised it, and Rosie noticed the wording causing her to stop her movements, “I’m sorry.” She apologises, “I’m trying to be the me before the accident, but..”

 

“Rosie..” Jennie interrupts, “I..it’s not that.”

 

“Then what is it? You think I don’t see it but I do.”

 

“See what?”

 

“That longing look you give me.” Rosie meets Jennie’s eyes, “And it hurts when I see you look at me like that, because if I could I would turn myself back to the Rosie you knew. Not whoever this person in front of you is, because clearly whoever I am now isn’t the version of me you’re looking for.” A silence falls over the two. Both were surprised at the sudden outburst of emotion.

 

“I just remembered that I have to do something..finish your meal okay?” Rosie runs off, leaving a still stunned Jennie.

 

~

 

“So that’s what happened.” Lisa nods after Rosie tells her what happened at Jennie’s office, “I know I’m different now, but am I that different?” The girl tucks her knees to her chest.

 

“Do you really want to know?” Lisa asks, while Leo, her cat, jumps on her lap.

 

“At this point, I would do anything for her to stop looking like I’m not really in front of her.” Rosie smiles when Luca, Lisa’s other cat, comes to her, wanting to be held.

 

“Alright, so..you see before your accident you were kinda of a player…you had this aura about you that just drew everyone in, but you could also be closed off to. Only soft around certain people.”

 

“But Nini and I were engaged right? So doesn’t that mean that we…I didn’t cheat on her did I?”

 

“No, you may have played the field but you never once cheated. I thought Jen explained the backstory of the engagement.” Lisa frowns, “Anyways, yes the two of you were engaged, but it was because of your parents. And you both did all sorts of things to try and get out of it, but your parents just wouldn’t budge..so the wedding was planned, invitations sent out, the whole thing..and then 2 days before the wedding you disappeared.”

 

“Did no one try looking for me?” Rosie sounded disappointed.

 

“Of course we did, Jen actually found you, but you had already left. And then I told them about the call I got from the hospital in Japan that I thought was spam..and..then months after that call you show up at Jen’s door with missing memories.”

 

“Wait, the hospital called you..how’d they get your number?”

 

“I asked Mina and you had my card in your pocket for whatever reason…”

 

“Oh...”

 

“And now we’re here.”

 

“Did I love her?” Rosie suddenly asked.

 

“You never explicitly said so, but..” Lisa pauses, a soft smile on her face remembering what Jennie had told her and Jisoo before, “I think you did. You loved her a lot…I’ve told you this before, but you only show your best self to her.”

 

“How about Jen?”

 

“That’s something you should ask her.”

 

“I– but you told me that I love her..”

 

“I didn’t tell you..I just gave you my thoughts on it..like I said you never explicitly said that you loved her, but you know actions speak louder than words and all that.” Lisa explains, “Wait wait..love? Present tense?”

 

“I..well..I mean..I like her..but I..”

 

“Literally a living kdrama.” Lisa shakes her head, “So what’s the plan now?”

 

“I don’t know…maybe show her that the me now is more than capable of being her partner, flaws and all?”

 

~

 

While Rosie and Lisa were having this conversation, Jennie immediately called Jisoo because what just happened?

 

“Well Jen, it seems that you keep looking for the person Rosie used to be.”

 

“But I’m not.”

 

“But you are in Rosie’s eyes.”

 

“Well can you blame me though? This new Rosie is…”

 

“Still Rosie.” Jisoo interrupts, “She’s still the same sweet, kind, intelligent, romantic, gorgeous, hot, perfect girl you fell in love with. And she’s completely gotten rid of her player tendencies that used to annoy the hell out of you.” The girl corrects herself.

 

“Maybe that’s the problem..”

 

“What? That she lost the player tendencies or she keeps flirting with you? Because need I remind you how you and Sana hated how clingy she was with Mina?”

 

“Being clingy is different from blatant flirting. And I don’t mean in the friendly clingy, I mean in the clingy because you need them around all the time clingy.” Jennie tries to defend.

 

“I..okay Jen.”

 

“I’m serious, take Lisa for example.”

 

“Okay, why are you bringing my Lili into this?”

“Remember in high school when Lisa would literally throw a line to any girl that catches her attention?”

 

“And watch her fail 50% of the time, yes.”

 

“Okay, how about the time when we first met Sorn? Remember how Lisa never flirted with her, but was always so clingy, like not in the holding hands kind of way..but in the having to spend every chance she has with Sorn?”

 

“Now why would you bring that up? Of course I remember it’s because of all the clinginess that I almost thought she was joking..ohhh.” Jisoo seems to understand what Jennie was getting at.

 

“Yeah you get it now right. Like I don’t know, maybe Rosie has feelings but she can’t tell Mina because obviously Mina is in love with Sana. So she clings onto Mina so that she’s at least somewhat next to her...”

 

“Are we still talking about Rosie here? Because Mina’s already explained why Rosie clung onto her and she’s really improved since then.” Jisoo waits, but Jennie just stays quiet.

 

“Jen, be honest with me here, why can’t you accept that the Rosie you’ve known and the Rosie now are the same person?”

 

“Jisoo, I love her.”

 

“I know.”

 

“And the Rosie before the accident…she loved me.” Jennie grabs hold of her necklace, “But I don’t know if the Rosie now feels the same.”

 

“Ahh so that’s why…it’s not the clinginess or whatever that’s bothering you, it’s Rosie’s feelings towards you now.”

 

“What if she doesn’t love me back? Like I know that she cares..and that we’ve gotten close again, but I just..I know I missed my chance, that I should have said something that night…but I didn’t think..she promised Chu, she promised to come back.” Jennie cries, the emotions she’s been bottling up finally coming out.

 

~ ~ ~ ~

 

“You got everything right? Passport? Phone?” Rosie asks while Jennie and her walk with Mina inside Incheon airport to send the doctor home.

 

“Yes Rosie for the millionth time I have it all.”

 

“I know you do..I just..I’ll miss you..and I don’t know how I’ll ever thank you for everything you’ve done for me.” Rosie sniffles and Jennie was quick to hold Rosie’s hand, assuring the girl that she was there.

“I’ll miss you too…but I’m not going anywhere. Just home.”

 

“I know, but still.”

 

“Just take care of yourself okay? No more riding a motorcycle in the rain.”

 

“Don’t worry we won’t even let her near one.” Jennie nods, completely serious.

 

“Good. Well, I better go. Satang might kill me if I miss this flight.”

 

“Take care of yourself Mina. Call me if you need anything.” Jennie gives the girl a quick hug.

 

“You both take care as well.” Mina smiles, moving on to hug Rosie again, “Rosie..” Mina switches to Kansai-ben, whispering, “Are you really okay with you two being more than friends but less than lovers? Follow your own advice when you told me to take my chance with Satang: tomorrow is never guaranteed.”

 

“Always all knowing Minari-chan.” Rosie shakes her head.

 

~ ~ ~ ~

 

“Somewhere in the world there is a man that’s allowed to kiss her.”

 

“Surreal but nice.”

 

“This is one of those key moments in life.”

 

Jennie kept saying the lines as the scenes changed on the movie she and Rosie were currently watching. It’s been months since Mina and Sana left and since then Rosie has gotten almost all her memories back except for the time that she and Jennie were engaged to her accident. And if anyone were to ask Rosie if she wants those memories back, then her answer would be a big fat no. She doesn’t want to remember only being engaged to the love of her life on the surface.

 

“I feel like you can play every character.” Rosie chuckles, while Jennie snuggles closer.

 

“You know Notting Hill is my all time favourite movie. We even went to London to see the filming locations.”

 

“Yeah I remember.” Rosie smiles softly, the memory playing in her mind, it was one of her favourite memories to remember, because Jennie looked so happy.

 

“So just let me be. It’s movie night and you said I can pick the movie.” Jennie lifts her head up childishly smiling at Rosie.

 

“For June, who loved this garden, from Joseph, who always sat beside her. Some people do spend their whole lives together..” Rosie recites as the ending credits play, eyes on Jennie.

 

“Hmm?” Jennie looks at Rosie, “Do you think that somewhere out there some A list actress would fall in love with a random book shop owner?” Rosie asks.

 

“I do.” Jennie replies with no hesitation, “I mean sometimes life imitates art right?” She was still focused on the movie.

 

“I guess so..I mean look at us we’re practically our own version of The Vow. Minus the actually married part and you having to make me fall in love with you all over again.”

 

“Right…” Jennie chuckles awkwardly.

 

“You know Jen, you never told me.” Rosie begins, “Why did you tell my parents to not look for me?”

 

“Because you promised me that you’ll come back and you have never broken any promises you made me.”

 

“You trusted the old me that much huh.” Rosie nods.

 

“I trust you Rosie.” Jennie corrects, “Be it the you of the past, present, or future. I trust you.”

 

“Do you think..if I didn’t leave…” Rosie swallows, she’s been wanting to have this conversation with Jennie for a while now, “That we’d be like June and Joseph? That we’d spend our entire life together?”

 

“Maybe? I mean we would have had an entire lifetime to figure it out…and someone once told me that statistically speaking, arranged marriages tend to last.” Jennie looks at Rosie softly.

 

“Hmm I see…well what if it wasn’t arranged?”

 

“What?”

 

“Jennie.” Rosie says her name softly, “Don’t tell me you’re going to ask me to marry you.” The shorter girl says, ruining the soft mood, causing Rosie to chuckle, “I’m not…”

 

“Oh well..I mean..” Jennie was flustered.

 

“Listen to me first okay?”

 

“Yeah okay.” Jennie nods, her heart beating incredibly fast right now.

 

“I don’t remember why I made that decision and I don’t know if I ever will. All the gaps in my memories have slowly been filled, but I still can’t remember the person I was before I left. I’m not sorry though…but a part of me is curious on why you keep looking for the person I was before my accident, because the me that you knew and the me that you know is still me. That fact won’t ever change.”

“I know that it’s all you..” Jennie swallows, “But you see Rosie…I knew and you knew that, and for some reason you decided to just do all these things and then up and leave. Maybe it’s because you knew that I only had half a heart to give…to give me time to think..I don’t know…and when you came back I was mostly happy but a part of me was and is terrified.”

 

“Of?”

 

“What your eyes would tell me.”

 

“Why?”

 

“Because I haven’t seen it yet…”

 

“Seen what?”

 

“Your loving stare.”

 

“Oh.”

 

“Yeah…”

 

“Well to be fair, I haven’t seen that from you at all so…”

 

“Not to your face obviously.” Jennie whispers under her breath.

 

“But is that all?” Rosie continues, not catching what Jennie whispered.

 

“What do you mean by ‘is that all?’”

 

“All you want is for me to look at you like you're the love of my life.”

 

“You say it like it’s the most sim…” Jennie trails off as Rosie’s gaze slowly softens, how her eyes tenderly gaze on Jennie like at any moment this image of her will disappear, how a soft smile slowly appears on her lips. And in that moment under the soft yellow lights in her living room, Jennie once again saw Rosie’s loving gaze, “You were scared that I didn’t love you the same.”

 

“Of course I was, because when I finally realised that I had a whole heart to give, you left.”
Jennie looks at Rosie softly, lovingly, “Even if you don’t love me the same…I want to tell you that I love you.” Jennie smiles, “You have the best of me Rosie.”

 

“You know you were the first name I remembered.” Rosie begins, “The first memory I remembered was of you smiling widely at me. And as I remembered the more I wanted to see you..to meet the woman in my memories, even if I didn’t fully remember..I wanted to see you. Like the urge was so strong that I thought I would go mad if I didn’t…” Rosie pauses, reaching a hand, grabbing the chain from around Jennie’s neck to reveal the two wedding bands,“And I know this is cliche but my brain may not have remembered but my heart did. I came back to you” Rosie tugs on the rings, breaking the chain, “And this time, I won’t ever leave you. So you don’t need to keep wearing these, because I’m here now. I love you Jennie…so much..and I’m so sorry for leaving, for forgetting...” Rosie pulls a now, crying, Jennie into her arms.

 

“You have to promise not to forget me again Rosie.” Jennie sobs, as Rosie lets a few tears of her own slip out, “I won’t I promise.”

 

~ ~ ~ ~

 

-1 year later-

 

“Just a few years of dating and you two are getting married? You even beat Lisa and Jisoo, Lisa didn’t propose for years.” Rosie says over the phone, immediately facetiming Mina after she sent a ‘I just made a proposal’ text.

 

“What?” Mina looks at Rosie confused, “What do you mean getting married.”

 

“You literally just told me you proposed.”

 

“To who? Satang?”

 

“Duh, who else…unless…” Rosie smirks at Mina, “Oww Love that hurts.” Rosie rubs her shoulder after the girl lands a clean smack.

 

“Serves you right.” Mina chuckles, “Anyways, I was still typing the rest when you called but, I want to ask her to move in with me.”

 

“Doesn’t she practically live there already?”

 

“I guess, but you know, give her an actual key instead of the code…make it all official or whatever. But anyways, how should I go about it? I can’t ask the others here because one ‘pretty please’ from her and they’ll all sing like canaries.”

 

“First of all Mina,” Jennie grabs the phone from Rosie’s hand, “I am pretty sure that Sana planted this idea into your head, so it most def doesn’t involve moving in, but it’s cute that you think that.” The girl chuckles.

 

“Oh.” Mina blinks a few times, “Uhhh…I see.” The doctor nods, “Well…I..I gotta go now. Bye.” Mina ends the call, clearly flustered.

 

“I can’t believe you broke Minari.” Rosie chuckles, after Jennie hands her the phone back, “Honestly, I thought Sana would be the one proposing.”

 

“Nahh, Sana’s a hopeless romantic..she wants that experience of being proposed to. Of feeling special.”

 

“Hmm..do you want me to do that?”

 

“What?” Jennie whips her head towards Rosie who has that stupid smile on her face.

 

“To propose to you properly this time. Sweep you off your feet and all that jazz.”

 

“I don’t need it to be anything grand…as long as it’s you.” Jennie smiles.

 

“So cheesy.” Rosie teases.

 

“Yeah but you like it.”

 

“Only cause it’s you.”

 

~ ~ ~ ~

a/n: Here’s the last part~ I didn’t want to make this too long because again, it was supposed to be a 1 part sequel.

 

Anyways, let me know what y’all think~

 

Till next time~~

 

Bye bye >.<