What Do I Call You Now? (2)

Chaennie Collections vol 2.

“How about layering a few different harmonies?”

 

“Hmm ..Can I hear it again?”

 

“Sure.” Chaeyoung plays the audio back.

 

“Yeah I think it’ll sound good.”

 

“Okay, get ready for the cue.”

 

“Got it.”

 

The blonde was so immersed in her session, she didn’t realize someone entered the studio.

 

“Guess who?” A soft voice whispered, shocking the blonde girl.

 

It can’t be. Chaeyoung thought to herself, before turning around and seeing the girl she had not seen in a year, “Mina.”

 

“Hey Chaengmunk, miss me?” Mina asks in that soft voice of hers.

 

“I..uh..I..how are you here? I thought you moved back to Japan for good?” Chaeyoung asks, still in disbelief.

 

“I did, but things happened.” Mina shrugs.

 

“How was that?” A voice comes over the speaker, pulling Chaeyoung out of her stupor.

 

“I’m sorry Ryujin, let’s call it a day? I’ll check the layering before tomorrow.”

 

“Sure sure.” Ryujin replies, before leaving the booth, excusing herself from the two.

 

“New group?” Mina asks after Ryujin left.

 

“Yeah, nice kids. They have potential.”

 

“Hmm coming from you then they’ll definitely make it far.” Mina takes the chair next to Chaeyoung.

 

“Can I listen to it?”

 

“You know how I feel about that.” Chaeyoung pouts, causing Mina to laugh, pinching the other girl’s cheeks teasingly, “Yes yes I know.”

 

“Ah ah yo..”

 

“What are you doing to Chaeyoung?”

 

The two turn towards the door.

 

“Jwen Hwi.” Chaeyoung greets her other guests, cheeks still being pinched.

 

“Hi.” Jennie’s greeting was cold as she walked towards the two, taking Mina’s hands from Chaeyoung’s cheeks, “Anyways, who are you?” Jennie asks, after checking on Chaeyoung’s cheeks.

 

“A very close friend.” Mina answers, throwing a wink towards the blonde’s way.

 

“Close friend?” Jennie eyes the two.

 

“Yes, very close.”

 

“Okay well, I hate to interrupt whatever is going on here but we have plans.” Jennie sarcastically says, while she pulls Chaeyoung up from her seat.

 

“I see. Well then, I’ll come by again tomorrow okay Chaengmunk?” Mina pats Chaeyoung’s head before leaving the studio.

 

After the door shut behind Mina, Jennie releases her hold on Chaeyoung, her eyes shooting daggers towards the blonde.

 

“What’s with the look?” Chaeyoung asks, with a small knowing smile.

 

“Close friend huh.”

 

“Yes, very.” Chaeyoung says in a teasing voice.

 

“Right, we’ve established that.” Jennie rolls her eyes.

 

“Why are you so upset?” Chaeyoung asks.

 

“I’m not. Let’s just go or else we’ll be late for our dinner reservations with Jisoo and Lisa.” Jennie says, beginning to walk towards the door.

 

“Hey hey wait.” Chaeyoung stops the brunette, she really doesn’t like it when Jennie is upset with her, “We’re really just friends. Trust me.” Chaeyoung’s tone was sincere and Jennie hums in response.

 

“I’m serious Jen.” Chaeyoung intertwines their hands together, “Okay?”

 

“Okay.” Jennie softens up, gently squeezing the blonde’s hand, “Let’s go then?”

 

The drive to the restaurant was quiet, but comfortable.

 

“What?” Chaeyoung suddenly spoke up, feeling Jennie’s heavy stare on her.

 

“What what?”

 

“You’re staring.” Chaeyoung states, “Am I that beautiful?” The blonde cheekily asks.

 

Yes. Jennie thinks to herself.

 

“See you’re doing it again.” Chaeyoung chuckles.

 

“You’ve really grown up.” Jennie says in a soft voice.

 

“Hmm?”

 

“Nothing. I just think it’s funny how we’ve known each other for so long, but were never really friends.”

 

“We could have, if you didn’t annoy me every chance you got.”

“I did not annoy you. We barely even talked.”

 

“Because if we did you’d try one of your lines at me. Seriously, I’d rather have Queenbee Jennie who didn’t interact with anyone but Nayeon and Doyeon..then Jennie the flirt.”

 

“Hey! I wasn’t a flirt.”

 

“You were with me and really..not the best to be honest.”

 

“Excuse you.” Jennie lightly slaps Chaeyoung’s shoulder.

 

“Aha see you just contradicted yourself. Didn’t know you can be childish like that.”

 

“Childish me?” Jennie pointed towards herself.

 

“Mhm...you know Jen.” Chaeyoung pulls into a parking spot in front of the restaurant, “If you had feelings for me, you could have just told me.” The blonde shuts the engine off, turning to the girl sitting in the passenger seat, “Because even though you annoyed me...I may have had a tiny bit of a crush on you.” The blonde winks, before getting out of the car, leaving a very red Jennie Kim in the car.

 

“So you admit.” Jennie catches up to the blonde, “You’re attracted to me.” She scrunches her nose at the taller girl before running inside.

 

“Oh there you two are.” Jisoo smiles, as Jennie sits down, followed by Chaeyoung.

 

“Sorry, Mina came by the..”

 

“MINA?! Like Myoui Mina???” Lisa looks at Jisoo who looks at Chaeyoung.

 

“Yes. Looks like she’s back in Seoul. I’m not sure if it’s for good though. Isn’t it great!” Chaeyoung smiles widely.

 

“Yeah mhm great, but why did she go see you?”

“Don’t know.” Chaeyoung shrugs, “But man it’s been 2 years since she moved. I remember you and her were really close Lis...maybe it’s cause she’s a dancer too.” Chaeyoung begins to ramble, talking about time Jennie didn’t know about. A time where she wasn’t there...and the shorter brunette should be used to it by now, but as she watches Chaeyoung speak..she can’t help but want Chaeyoung to remember too. To remember them.

 

evolution for erasing the pain that comes with love. And it some more for not erasing mine. Jennie thinks to herself.

 

~ ~ ~

 

“You’re right.” Jennie says for the first time since inviting the other girl across from her out for lunch.

 

“About?” Jisoo asks, putting her utensils down and focusing on the troubled woman across from her.

 

“Me.”

 

“You’re going to have to be a little bit more specific here Jennie.”

 

“Chuuuu~~” Jennie whined, there’s no point in pretending she forgot anymore.

 

“I see you still like to whine Jendeuk.” Jisoo chuckles.

 

“Hey! I don’t .” Jennie huffs.

 

“Alright sure. I’ll let you think that.” Jisoo shakes her head, “but why?”

 

“Why what?”

 

“Why did you pretend to lose your memory too?”

 

“Because she did.” Jennie shrugs, “Plus, what would you do if you wake up the next day and that one person no longer remembers you after one fight? Do you know how confused I was at first?”

 

“Were you two ever really just friends?”

 

“I...yes.” Jennie averts looking into Jisoo’s eyes.

 

“Jen. C’mon, I’m not blind.”

 

“We..there was never a label between us. The only time, which you know, is during our undergrad days. But in middle school and high school..we just..we understood our feelings.”

 

“Huh?? If you liked each other, why not make it official?”

 

“She was scared to forget.” Jennie looks out the window, “So we agreed that we’ll stay as friends.”

 

“That’s why you always chased after her.”

 

“It’s kinda like, if she didn’t remember us from before that’s fine...I can do it for the both of us..and I’ll keep finding my way to her.”

 

“That’s both romantic and sad.”

 

“Yeah well, in a world where we’re all supposed to forget..it’s the best I can do.”

 

“So what made undergrad different?”

 

“I asked her.”

 

“Huh?”

 

“I asked her to be mine...I didn’t give her a chance to try and keep things platonic.”

 

“Oh.”

 

“Yeah..I thought that I had learned from the other times..that this was the last time I would have to chase after her.”

 

“But then you guys broke up and you suddenly left.”

 

“It..” Jennie sighs, “It was rough.”

 

“What happened?”

 

-Flashback - University: The 3rd Time-

 

“I’m sorry I’m late.” Jennie apologizes, kissing the top of her girlfriend’s head, before taking a seat across from her. It was their 4th anniversary and in a few months they would be graduating.

 

“Mhm.” Chaeyoung hums in response, avoiding Jennie’s gaze.

 

“Rosie..I’m really sorry. I had a last minute meeting with my parents and the board.”

 

“Yep, heard that one before.”

 

“Chaeyoung..it’s our anniversary, can we just try to enjoy dinner?”

 

“Dinner? Jen it’s almost 10PM. I waited for you at home because you said you’d come get me...and then you text saying you’ll be late a few minutes..so I thought okay, let’s just meet here then, so you don’t have to drive further...but those few minutes turned into 2 hrs.”

“I’m really really sorry. I promise you I’ll make it up to you. I’ve just been really busy..”

 

“Stop.” Chaeyoung interrupts.

 

“Rosie.” Jennie reaches a hand out, but Chaeyoung pulls her hand back.

 

“Look, I know that I’ve..”

 

“Is this how it’s always going to be?” Chaeyoung interrupts. Don’t get her wrong, Chaeyoung loves Jennie..she does, but she’s getting tired of always being the one waiting...the one wondering if Jennie will even come home to her or not.

 

“Chaeyoung, just..give me some more time okay?”

 

“I feel like lately all you’ve been doing is apologizing and asking me to give you more time.”

 

“Just trust me.”

 

“I do..but I’m also getting tired Jen.”

 

“You don’t mean that.” Jennie shakes her head.

 

“Maybe we should take..”

 

“Stop..you know what happens when you say those words.” Jennie interrupts.

 

‘I won’t be able to chase after you anymore if you do.’ Jennis thinks to herself.

 

“I know.”

 

“Are you really okay with forgetting me? Us?”

 

Chaeyoung stays quiet, lifting her head up to stop herself from crying as well.

 

“No.”

 

“Then just..”

 

“But,” Chaeyoung interrupts, “I think this is something we both need. It’s just a break right? We shouldn’t forget if it’s just a break. We just need some time to figure ourselves out. I love you Jen. This isn’t me giving up on us, you know I’d never.”

 

“I love you too Rosie, and I know..so if this is what you really want..then..” Jennie takes a breath, “Okay.”

 

That night, as Jennie walks Chaeyoung to her flat, she tries her best to memorize the taller girl’s features.

 

“Why are you staring at me?”

 

“Can’t I stare at the love of my life?” Jennie asks, trying to keep a smile.

 

“Of course, but not like that.” Chaeyoung too, tries to keep the air around them light.

 

“Like what?” Jennie asks, stopping in front of Chaeyoung’s door.

 

“Like you’re going away.” Chaeyoung grabs onto Jennie’s hand for the first time this evening.

 

“You know I’ll always find you.” Jennie intertwines their fingers together, bringing Chaeyoung’s hand up to her lips, “I promise.”

 

“So you are?”

 

“I’m not.”

 

“Then why’d you say it like that.” Chaeyoung pouts.

 

Jennie chuckles, taking her hand away from Chaeyoung’s tight grip, so she can hug her girl, “Sorry, I meant to say..I’ll always be here. I’m not going anywhere I promise.”

 

“It’s just a break Jen. Not a breakup, we won’t forget.”

 

“I know.”

 

“I just..want to establish that you’re still mine.”

 

“Right.” Jennie chuckles, “All yours Love.”
 

~ ~ ~

 

“You two are so frustrating.” Jisoo groans wanting to pull her hair out.

 

“It’s what she wanted, what was I supposed to do? Tell her this is our third chance and asking for a break is essentially the same thing as breaking up?”

 

“Yes! You both still loved each other, you could have made it work somehow.”

 

“Maybe.”

 

“Jen...is that why you just disappeared?”

 

“It’s hard Chu. After going through it 3 times..it just gets harder. I left because I needed to give my heart a break. I hate that we forget the pain, but I also wish that I forgot too...maybe it would be easier to unlove her.”

 

“Jen.”

“Anyways, now that I got that off my chest,” Jennie breathes a sigh of relief, it’s nice talking to someone that remembers a time when Jennie and Rosie were happy, “There’s something else.”

 

“What?” Jisoo frowns, she didn’t like the way Jennie said that.

 

“Well first Rosie admitted she had a crush on me before.” Jennie chuckles, “But I also know that’s not the case anymore since she so easily admitted it.”

 

“Jennie what are you planning.”

 

“It’s that Mina girl right? I noticed how you and Lisa kinda looked at each other during dinner the other night. They had a past, her and Rosie, I mean.”

 

Jisoo stays quiet.

 

“It’s okay Chu..she doesn’t remember.”

 

“No. They didn’t.”

 

“Really?”

 

“Yes.”

 

“But?”

 

“But she has feelings.”

 

“I could tell.” Jennie gives a half smile.

 

“Why did you really call me?”

 

“I just wanted to talk to someone who remembers.”

 

“I know you’re planning something.”

 

“I’m not...I just made a decision.”

 

“About?”

 

“Nothing important.”

 

“Jennie.”

 

“I have to go. I have a meeting in an hour.” Jennie stands up, leaving before Jisoo could stop her.

 

~ ~ ~

“Hey babe what’s with the face.” Lisa asks, wrapping her arms around Jisoo’s waist.

 

“I had lunch with Jen today.” Jisoo leans her forehead on Lisa’s chest, “She doesn’t forget too.”

 

“What?” Lisa was surprised.

 

“I kinda always knew, but hearing everything from her..I..I’m worried. I can feel like she’s going to do something stupid...I just don’t know what.”

 

“What happened exactly?” Lisa asks and Jisoo narrates everything.

 

“A decision...could she mean not to chase after Chaeyoung anymore.”

 

“I don’t think so.”

 

“No no I think it is Chu...look she asked about Mina and you told her about Chaeyoung’s feelings. It makes logical sense.”

 

“Yeah, but she tried her best to find her way back to Chae’s side each time...I don’t think Jen’s the type to just give up.”

 

“Yeah, but she also told you that she initially left to give her heart a break..we don’t know what Jen’s going through, but she’s kept all of this to herself for so long. Chaeyoung doesn’t know a thing.”

 

“The way she spoke, the look in her eyes...I could tell there’s something she held back..I..I gotta go talk to her again.”

 

“Okay, but I’m not letting you go alone.” Lisa knew when her girlfriend has an intuition on something, whatever it is...it’s usually true.

 

“Do you even know wher...oh Chae what’s up?” Lisa and Jisoo were both surprised to see their best friend at their door so late.

 

“I found this in my bookshelf..” Chaeyoung handed Lisa a guidebook on how to make dogs and cats get along at home.

 

“Why is this at your place? I bought this way back when we were still in university.” Lisa says, taking the book, noticing how troubled Chaeyoung looked.

 

“Babe.” Lisa looks over at Jisoo who nods.

 

“I know where it is. Don’t worry, I can drive myself.” Jisoo assures Lisa before heading off.

 

“What’s wrong?” Lisa asks, after the two settle on the couch.

 

“Where’s Chu going this late?”

“Emergency at the clinic.” Lisa lies.

 

“Why are you staying then?”

 

“You look like you’re having a crisis.”

 

“Yeah I guess I am.” Chaeyoung nods her head and Lisa waits patiently for the blonde to open up to her.

 

“You remember.” Chaeyoung speaks up, taking the book Lisa had set on the coffee table.

 

“Remember what?”

 

“The memories that everyone’s forgotten.”

 

“I have no idea what you’re talking about Chaeng.”

 

“Here..” Chaeyoung hands a folded piece of paper from inside the book.

 

“Uh..what’s this?”

 

“Just read it.”

 

If this survives please find Jennie. Make sure she remembers you. Just in case you forget...I’ll remind you. You’re in love with Jennie. Find her. Please, you can’t forget her. It’s just a break, you still love her..and she loves you. But the way she looked tonight..the way she acted before saying goodbye..there’s something off. I think Jennie remembers things, unlike the rest of us. Maybe she knows that I might forget. So please...find this...find her...I can’t lose her.

 

“Chae.” Lisa looks up at her best friend after reading the messily scribbled note.

 

“The fact this letter survived in one of your belongings...means you don’t forget. It means that you remember everything. All the memories..you remember..which means photos, videos, gifts..all of that they don’t disappear from your belongings.”

 

“Yes.” Lisa admits with a sigh, “But why did you put this in there?”

 

“I think it’s because it was the only thing at my place I didn’t own.” Chaeyoung takes a breath, “Lisa...please tell me, Jennie and I..did we date?”

 

“Chae I…”

 

Lisa….something’s happened. -I Love CHU

Come to Jennie’s condo..I’ll send you my location. -I Love CHU

 

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

A/n: Me: yes this will be light and fluffy and cute...also me...HA you thought.

Let me know what you think happened.

 

Till next time.

 

Ciao~~