The One That Got Away (3)

Chaennie Collections vol 2.

“Okay so we’ll shoot all the high school stuff today and depending on how you both do we can start the university scenes.” Rosie directs me and Jisoo. While Lisa sits on one of the chairs playing on her phone.

 

“Sure. We have a crush and then I ask her out?” Jisoo confirms.

 

“Pretty much.” Rosie nods.

 

“Don’t worry Roseanne, I've done that before.” Jisoo chuckles.

 

“Right..okay.” Rosie spares me a quick glance, before heading behind the cameras.

 

“Let’s do this?”

 

“Okay.” I nod and Rosie yells action and we go about the different scenes. It was easy and everything was done with one take.

 

“They really do have chemistry. Jisoo looks like she’s already in-love with Jennie. She only models right? I think she’d do well as an actress.” The staff members murmur amongst each other.

 

“You guys are doing great.” Lisa gives Jisoo her snack while we’re on break.

 

“Thanks babe.” Jisoo pecks Lisa’s cheek.

 

“I’m so single.” I shake my head.

 

“Well this could have been us.” Jisoo teases me.

 

“Yeah Nini and then I’ll be the single one.” Lisa smirks.

 

“I hate you two.”

 

“We love you too.” They say at the same time.

 

“Jennie?” I feel a tap on my shoulder.

 

“Well Chu and I are gonna go get her ready for the next scene. Finish your meal Nini.” Lisa drags Jisoo away, leaving me with Rosie.

 

“What’s up Rosie? Have you already finished eating?” I ask, taking a bite of my sandwich.

 

“Mhm.” She nods.

 

“Good good.” I nod and an awkward silence drapes over us. I know Rosie wants to say something or ask me something, but she’s too anxious to say anything.

 

“I know you want to ask me something or say something to me..so just say it.” I finally speak up after I finish eating.

 

“I do…but I don’t know if I should..or rather, if I’m even allowed to.” Rosie admits in a soft voice, and I had to turn away from her eyes.

 

Taking a breath, I decided it was time..no or never, “Maybe we need to talk about some things. But can we do it after we finish the shoot..this weekend?”

 

“Yeah…I think we do.” Rosie nods, “This weekend sounds good. Just let me know?”

 

“Okay..well I’m done here.” I head back to the set, feeling Rosie’s eyes on my retreating figure.

 

~

 

The following morning Jisoo and I just had to shoot the final scenes for the campaign.

 

“Okay so the university scene is kinda where you guys just break it off with each other…and then we’ll film your reunion scene where you guys get together and we’ll bring out the ring. That sound good?”

 

“Alright.” Jisoo and I both nod, and I can sense something was different about her today…and it made me anxious.

 

“You guys remember your lines?”

 

“Mhm.” I look at Jisoo, who just nods at me.

 

“What are you plotting?” I ask her as we get into position.

 

“Don’t worry Jen, I’m not.” Jisoo winks at me, and I know she’s up to something….mischievous.

 

“Don’t say that, it scares me. I know you're plotting something.”

 

“Just trust.” Jisoo chuckles.

 

“No way..whatever you and probably Lili are…”

 

“You guys ready?!” Rosie yells from behind the cameras.

 

“Yep!” Jisoo answers for the both of us and my anxiety starts to bubble.

 

“Okay and Action.” Rosie yells and I look at Jisoo.

 

“Jen.” Jisoo’s voice was soft and her eyes were showing a different emotion..then what this scene entails. I’m the one that’s supposed to break things off.

 

“Hmm?” I’m sitting at my desk, opting to pull out a random book.

 

“Remember about that foreign exchange program I applied for?” Jisoo asks, and I look up at her, because that was not her line.. I glanced at Rosie, but she didn’t cut the scene.

 

“Yeah.” I nod.

 

“It’s my dream school right? The design program is the best of the best.” Jisoo continues and a part of me is transported to that time with Rosie. I couldn’t get a word out so I nodded my head yes.

 

Why isn’t Rosie stopping the scene?

 

“It is Chu..” I almost said Rosie’s name instead, “I know it is.” I gulped, trying not to make my words sound too much like that day she told me the same thing, “I’m assuming you got accepted then?”

 

“I did.” Jisoo nods, her smile was so bright. So happy..so genuine..like Rosie’s was when she told me she got accepted to her dream school in Australia.

 

“I’m proud of you Chu.” I get up, hugging her tightly.

 

“I know..but I don’t want to go.” Jisoo says, her eyes searching mine, “Why not? This is your dream Jisoo.”

 

“But you’re here.” She said it so matter of factly. So sure….I don’t know why but I teared up.

 

“I will be here, yes. But I’m not going to stop you from going. It’s for your future..who am I to stop you from going?” I look away.

 

“It is, but what’s the point if you aren’t there? Don’t talk like you're not important to me, that your opinion on this doesn’t matter too. I thought you’d know by now Jen..” Jisoo pauses and I catch her look at Rosie briefly before continuing, “I don’t think I can make it if you’re not here with me.”

 

“Of course you will. You’ll make it and you’ll achieve everything you want.” I stop myself from glancing at Rosie.

 

“But do I have to lose you to do that?” I chuckled when Jisoo said this, she sounded like a child whose favourite toy was about to be taken away. “You won’t lose me silly.” I reach out and pat Jisoo’s head lightly, “I’ll be here, every step of the way..just you know a few thousand miles further away.” She cracks a smile at this, “Look Chu, don’t worry about me okay? We both have our own goals and dreams we want to fulfil, so go. I’m not going anywhere.” I pull Jisoo in my arms.

 

“We’ll make it right?” Jisoo asks me, hugging me tighter. My breath hitches and the air around seems to have shifted. I lose sight of the staff around us, I forget about it all..and as the silence settles I see Rosie standing in front of me so many years ago..

 

“I’m proud of you, Rosie.” I smile at Rosie, hugging her tightly.

 

“God I can’t believe I got accepted, Jenjen! Like me?! Little ol me?” Rosie was crying tears of joy.

 

“Of course they’ll accept you, they would be stupid not too.” I wipe her tears away.

 

“What?” I asked her, when I noticed how her happy demeanour changed.

 

“Aren’t you going to ask me to stay?”

 

“No..” I shake my head, “I’ll force you to go.”

 

“But but…”

 

“No buts Roseanne.”

 

“But Love, the distance…”

 

“I know…it won’t be easy..” I look down, “but there’s so many ways we can keep connected with each other..we just have to try. I’ll miss you like crazy though.” I laugh, not wanting to make a happy event like this solemn. It’s for her future and it’s her dream. I can’t stop her from pursuing that.

 

“But we’ll make it right?” Rosie asks me.

 

“Won’t we Jen?” Jisoo’s voice rings in my ear, and I’m brought back to the present..to the scene she created, “We’ll make it right?” She hugs me tighter, snuggling in the crook of my neck.

 

“Of course Rosie…we’ll make it.” I answered so confidently.

 

“I…” I let go of Jisoo, pulling away, I found her crying and I wiped her tears, “I can’t say that we will. But…no matter what happens, I’ll be right here.” I assure her.

“c..c..CUT!” Rosie finally ends the scene and the staff watching begins to applaud.

 

“What was that? The emotions? Oh my goodness it was like a drama..my heart..” the staff members began to talk about the scene. Guess the rest of the shoot will be improved, because the stunt Jisoo just pulled.

 

“You good Jen?” Jisoo asks with a megawatt smile.

 

“Why?” I asked, with a frown, noticing Rosie in a discussion with one of the staff members.

 

“Just cause.” Jisoo shrugs.

 

“Jisoo.”

 

“Just trust.” Jisoo pats my shoulder, before running off.

 

“Okay so what the hell was that?” Mina stands where Jisoo was just seconds ago.

 

“I don’t know…she just started doing her own thing. Why didn’t you or Rosie stop it?”

 

“Rosie told us not to.” Mina answers, I can feel her watching me for a reaction, but I remain professional, “Let’s just finish the shoot. Everything’s going to be improvised because of the stunt Jisoo pulled.” I shake my head.

 

“Alright..” I feel Mina’s eyes on me.

 

“I’m fine Mina..c’mon let’s just finish the shoot.” I smile at her.

 

“Okay.”

 

~ ~ ~ ~

 

The campaign shoots finished a bit behind schedule, because we had to redo the last part of the script, but the editing team assured us that it’ll be no problem and that they can get us back on track…things were now at the end of the line…and the weekend that I so dreaded is here.

 

“We’re not staying here just so you know.” Lisa says and I roll my eyes at the couple cuddling on my couch.

 

“And yet, the two of you look so comfortable cuddling on my couch.”

 

“It’s a comfy couch..anyways what time is Roseanne coming?” Jisoo asks.

 

“She should be here soon.”

 

“And you’re not going to get ready?”

 

“Why should I?”

 

“Cause it’s Rosie, Nini.” Lisa says.

 

“Exactly it’s Rosie..she knows how I am.”

 

“Right..it’s just Rosie..” Lisa sighs, “Maybe we should go babe, so Nini can start panicking.”

 

“Why would I panic? I’m fine.”

 

“Are you? I mean you’re about to finally end it.” Jisoo says.

 

“It’s been over for years, Chu.”

 

“You told me the exact same thing, but yet you still have that in your bedside table.”

 

“Have what?” Lisa looks at the two of us.

 

“Leave it Chu…don’t think I’m not still mad about what you pulled at the shoot.”

 

“Okay okay.” Jisoo lifts her arm in surrender, “But we’ll go now..I think you need to think more about what you want after tonight.”

 

“Are you two seriously going to leave me out of this? Hellooo? I’m the best friend here?” Lisa complains.

 

“Yes, but I seem to know her a bit more than you when it comes to this babe.”

 

“Excuse you..I know her more.”

 

“What tone was that?” Jisoo glares at Lisa, who retreats almost instantly, “Nothing babe, don’t mind me.”

 

“Just go, if you two are gonna go.” I shake my head.

 

“We will..but call after..okay?” Lisa looks at me.

 

“I will…”

 

An hour after Lisa and Jisoo left, Rosie arrived. She was dressed simply, jeans and a light shirt. Casual, but still very Rosie.

 

“Hi.” She smiles at me.

 

“Hey..come in.” I let her in, following after her, “You can set your purse on the couch. Make yourself comfortable. I’ll get the table set.” I yell out, heading towards my kitchen. Trying to keep the air around us as light as possible.

 

“Do you need help?” She asks.

 

“I’m fine. You can just take a seat.”

 

“Let me help Jen.” Rosie grabs the plates from my hands.

 

“Alright.”

 

“I’ll set these on the table. Where do you keep your silverware?” Rosie asks.

 

“It’s fine I got it. I think the takeout came with utensils.” I say.

 

“Alright.” She nods at me, walking towards the dining table.

 

“Let’s get this over with.” I say to myself, hoping it’ll relieve some of the anxiety I feel right now.

 

~

 

“Why didn’t you want to do the shoot with me?” Rosie asked as soon as I finished my last bite of food. Of course, she finished first and waited for me to finish. Don’t get it wrong, we did talk during our meal, but mostly about work. We didn’t tread on the topic of us.

 

“Huh?” I ask, placing my utensils together on my plate.

 

“The Tiffany & Co. campaign…why couldn’t I do it?”

 

“It’s not like I didn’t want you too, but you're already directing it, then you have to shoot the photos…it would have been too much. I can tell you’ve been overworking yourself.”

 

“I’m not…I’m used to my work. Doing something extra like that would have been fine.”

 

“We would have had to pretend to be in-love with each other.” I say, watching Rosie momentarily freeze at my words, “Would that have been ok?”

 

“So it’s better to pretend to be in-love with Jisoo?” She ignores my question.

 

“That’s not what I meant and you know that.”

 

“Could you have done it? If the roles were reversed…do you think you could have made me do it?” Rosie looks away from me, avoiding my eyes, “No right? You wouldn’t make me.”

 

“It’s not you..it would be me…” Rosie finally looks at me again, “I would be the one who chooses not to do it, because I can’t have you look at me the same way you used to and not mean a thing. I can’t act like we’re in-love..”

 

“When we aren’t anymore..right?” I interrupt her words, swallowing the bitterness that came with admitting that she’s not in-love..but maybe I still am.

“Jennie..”

 

“It’s okay Rosie, it’s been years.” I give her a soft smile, “Lili actually suggested this whole talk. We never did break up formally did we?” I chuckle, tilting my head up to stop the tears from welling. It shouldn’t hurt to say it if I don’t love her anymore…

 

“So you called me here to break-up?” Rosie looks at me like I just shattered her entire being.

 

“Isn’t that why you agreed?” I retort, and Rosie sighs deeply.

 

“Exactly.” I nod, waiting for her to say something, but she doesn’t.

 

“You know.” I say, allowing those tears to well up, because yeah I still care for her..and yeah I’m still in-love with her, so I let it hurt..I let myself feel the grief that I did when we drifted away, “Rosie you were the one that got away.” I put a hand over hers, “And I curse myself everyday because I didn’t fight to keep our promise. But look at us now…we’ve both achieved what we wanted to. It’s okay to move on.”

 

“We did it all wrong didn’t we..” Rosie finally speaks up after a few moments of silence between us.

 

“Did what wrong?” I pull my hand back, after realising I’ve been holding hers for far too long.

 

“Everything…from the moment I found out I was accepted.” Rosie says. I opened my mouth to speak but she began to speak again before I could get a word out, “Do you want to know why I didn’t stop the scene? The one Jisoo improvised.” She asks me.

 

“Is it because it was just like the day you told me you were leaving?”

 

“Yeah…I couldn’t stop it because it was like I was brought back to that moment in time…”

 

“I know what you mean…and that’s I guess why I played along with Chu’s little idea.” I forced out a soft chuckle, “Maybe those words are what I should have told you that day..”

 

“She said them, you know.”

 

“Hmm?”

 

“Jisoo…in that scene..she said the words I should have said to you that day…I don’t know why I didn’t..”

 

“Because you were happy..and that was your shot at your dreams.”

 

“Right.” Rosie nods, “My dreams..” She trails off.

 

“Mhm and look..you achieved them all..everything you used to tell me you wanted in life…”

 

“Did I really?” Rosie asks more so to herself than to me.

“Rosie…”

 

“You were here Jenjen..” She says, her eyes b with tears, “And…I just left you with an empty promise.”

 

“Hey don’t say that..we tried didn’t we? We tried Rosie..but we were immature kids who thought they were mature adults that can handle what being apart entailed.”

 

“We were both too busy with our own thing and we just ended up drifting apart.”

 

“You noticed it too…”

 

“Of course I did..that’s why when we just stopped communicating..I understood…it was our silent goodbye.” I reached over and wiped the tears that continue to fall from Rosie’s beautiful eyes, “but you know…it just dawned on me that we’ve always told each other that we’ll make it..always assured each other with those words. And you know what Rosie..” I smiled at her, “We did make it. We’ve achieved the life we pictured for ourselves..all of the hard work paid off. We made it.”

 

“But we lost each other along the way…I lost you…and it was hard..especially when I was able to stand on my own..it was hard to look at who was next to me and not find you there.”

 

“I know..I know..it was hard for me too. It took a lot of courage to not look you up and tell you everything that’s happened..to ask you how you are..to tell you everything, but I couldn’t because I knew that we’re two different people now..that we’re not on the same path..”

 

“But paths can diverge.”

 

“Quoting Robert Frost?” I joke to lighten this heavy air around us.

 

“I didn’t mean to..but it summarises our situation quite well…’Two roads diverged in a wood, and I took the one less travelled by and that has made all the difference.’” Rosie’s eyes were serious, like she made her decision..and I know that when her eyes look like that..there’s no changing her mind.

 

“The path that I’ve taken led me so far away from you..but it also led me back somehow..when I saw you again..in a coffee shop of all places, “She chuckles, “I know that this is it…you’re here Jenjen..and I’ve taken the long winding road to get back to you.”

 

“What are you trying to say here?” I ask, not wanting to get my hopes up.

 

“I knew it was you…the Tiffany & Co. project..I knew you were spearheading it..so when the opportunity came..I took it. How can I not if it meant finally..after all this time..coming back home to you.”

 

“What?”

 

“But when I arrived..I was terrified..I kept thinking what if you didn’t want to see me anymore? What if you hate me? And worse, what if you're happy with someone else?..All these questions just kept haunting me..I almost backed out, but then I saw you at that coffee shop. You smiled and I just..it made me realise what I came back for..you told me that I was the one you let get away and it’s the same for me..that’s why this time I want us to do it right.”

 

“But you still have to leave..after this contract ends..then what? We try again..only for me to lose you again? I can’t do that Rosie..once was enough.”

 

“Who says that I’ll leave this time?”

 

“Huh?”

 

“Jenjen.” Rosie gets up, pulling me up and very tightly into her arms, “I’m not going to leave anymore..I’m here Love. I won’t leave, unless you go with me or if you take me with you.”

 

“Rosie..”

 

“No Jennie….no break-up talk..I can’t..I won’t…”

 

“Ros..”

 

“I said no.” She tightens her hold on me, making it even harder to breathe, “You said we achieved it all, but not me..how can I achieve everything in my life when the one person I want to be with forever isn’t with me?”

 

“Ro..” I tap her back and she releases me.

 

“I already told y..”

 

“I couldn’t breathe Rosie..you were hugging me too tightly.”

 

“Oh.” Rosie sheepishly smiles, “Sorry.”

 

“It’s okay.” I let out a sigh of relief.

 

“What was that for? Your sigh?” Rosie asks, leading me towards my couch and cuddling my side.

 

“Just..I was prepared to say goodbye again. So..I’m relieved..happy.”

 

“I don’t think I’d be able to come back to the city unless it meant I was coming back to you.”

 

“Tsk cheesy.” I lightly elbow Rosie’s side.

 

“Says the girl who’s just a natural flirt.”

 

“Hmm.” I nod.

 

“And speaking of that..what happened between you and Jisoo?”

 

“Lisa and I are eskimo sisters.” I chuckle.

 

“Eskimo what?”

 

“Eskimo sisters.”

 

“What the hell is that?”

 

“It means we’ve hooked up with the same person.”

 

“Wait what?”

 

“Okay so..Jisoo and I..we were kinda of like friends with benefits.”

 

“You were?”

 

“But I stopped after she told me she had feelings for me.”

 

“She does.”

 

“Did.” I corrected.

 

“Yeah yeah.” Rosie huffs.

 

“Aww look who’s all sulky. It didn’t last long..well it lasted longer than the others..but not like long enough to be mmmppphhh…” Rosie clamps my mouth shut.

 

“I know we weren’t like together together for a bit, but I’d rather not hear about your escapades. Especially when I couldn’t even have a single dinner without me thinking that my date was you.”

 

“Okay well you went on dates, so we’re even.” I pulled her hand away from my mouth.

 

“Right but I didn’t sleep with anyone…and they were just like first dates..and there were only 3..how about you..how many casual flings did you have huh?” Rosie challenged, but taking it back immediately, “No no..don’t answer that..I won’t be able to sleep at night..let me just live with the knowledge that I’m your last.” Rosie nods, before sternly looking at me, “I am your last right?”

 

“I mean.” I tease and she pinches my side.

 

“Until you put a ring on it..it’s fair game Rosie posie.”

 

“Just you wait Love.”

“Hmm can’t wait.” I smile and Rosie leans down and kisses me.

 

“I love you..you know that right?” She asks after we pull away.

 

“I know… and I love you too..so much.”

 

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

A/n: I rushed this ending because Rosie’s birthday is coming up and I would like to have the prologue done by then..but also like probably not lmaooo.

 

Anyways…as always..please let me know what you think. I gave you guys the happy ending whooooo.

 

Till later,

 

Cheers!


 

…scroll down for a mini epilogue.





























 

“Rosie you and Lili I swear.” I sigh, while Jisoo’s laughing her off on the couch, “Chu? Please.” I glare at her.

 

“Oh c’mon Jenjen it’s funny.” Jisoo purposely clings onto me. Provoking the two even more.

 

“HEY! I told you that Jenjen’s mine.” Rosie pulls Jisoo off of me, wrapping an arm around my waist.

 

I thought we could all just enjoy this trip to LA, but of course Jisoo gets me into trouble.

 

“Yes Love, I’m yours. We already told you that some guy was being a creep.” I tried to explain..again.

 

“But did you two really have to hold each other like that? I mean you almost kissed her!” Lisa holds onto Jisoo.

 

“We had to convince him we were together..he was quite persistent.” Jisoo says, giving Lisa a quick peck.

 

I looked at Rosie and her eyebrows were still furrowed…since she found out about the thing with Jisoo, she’s been a little green of the girl..and it doesn’t help that Jisoo loves to about it all the freaking time.

 

“Hey…it really doesn’t mean anything..you think Lili’d let me live if it didn’t?” I try to lighten the mood between us.

 

“I still don’t like it.” She pouts, and I take the opportunity to give my girl a quick kiss, “Okay..I’m sorry..next time Chu’s in trouble like that, I’ll think of a different plan.”

 

“Please, we both know how you pull people just by making eye contact.”

 

“You do Nini.” Lisa agrees, completely appeased. I’m pretty sure she only acted annoyed to provoke Rosie even more.

 

“No I don’t.”

 

“Yes you do.” The two counter.

 

“No I….”

 

“Doyeon, Nayeon, Sana, Youngro, Seolhyun, uhm oh what was the Italian girls name?”

 

“Sofia.”

 

“Right right, uhm Camila, Jane, and…”

 

“Okay that’s enough.” I stop them, feeling Rosie’s grip on my waist tighten.

 

“We didn’t even get through ha..”

 

“Come with me.” I dragged Rosie out of the beach house we rented in Malibu.

 

“I know you had flings, but that many?” Rosie speaks up as soon as we leave the house.

 

“Most of them were one night stands.”

 

“That doesn’t make it better.”

 

“Right..but what matters is that you're my last right?”

 

“Am I?”

 

“Rosie..c’mon Love, you know those two were just teasing.”

 

“I don’t like being jealous of the people you were with during the time I wasn’t..I have no right to really..but I can’t help it..and the fact that you and Jisoo also..and how close you two are..I just..”

 

“Hey.” I cup Rosie’s cheeks, “They were meaningless..mostly because I was drunk and I needed an outlet…Chu was the last and the longest..mostly because she managed to get me to open up about why I refused to take things further with any of my flings… She knows how much I missed you even though I didn’t say it..even though I told people I was over you..Chu knew…somehow. So stop worrying..you have me for life already.” I pulled the ring out of my pocket, “This time, I think it’s okay to say that we made it. So I guess it’s okay for me to ask you to marry me?”

 

“No fair! I wanted to ask.” Rosie pulls out a ring as well.

 

“Is that a yes?”

 

“A billion times yes.” Rosie beams a megawatt smile.

 

-End-