First Place (5)

Chaennie Collections vol 2.

“So why’d you call me out.” Irene asks, taking a sip of her latte.

 

“I told you at the wedding, didn't I?” Roseanne was straight to the point, never one to beat around the bush.

 

“And I am trying Chaeyoung.” Irene replies.

 

“Are you really?” The blonde leans forward slightly, “Because we both know that’s not true.”

 

“You don’t know anything.”

 

“Are you sure about that? You know Jen tells me everything.”

 

“Yeah I bet.” Irene’s tone was mocking, “Maybe if you stopped looking at my wife like she’s the love of your life then maybe she’ll pay a bit more attention to my efforts.”

 

“I know my place.”

 

“Do you?”

 

“What’s that supposed to mean?”

 

“It means that with one little thing you come running to her.”

 

“She’s my best friend and her wife doesn’t treat her like a wife, what do you expect from me?”

 

“I expect you to back off. If we’re having problems, she should come to me about it and not you. I’m her wife.”

 

“Her wife on paper.”

 

“But we both know she has feelings for me.”

 

“Yes, and we both know you don’t.”

 

“What if I do?” Irene asks.

 

“If you did, then she wouldn’t be calling me so often crying.”

 

“Crying?”

 

“God Irene you don’t even know how much you’re hurting her and yet you have the guts to tell me you might have feelings for her? You’ve hurt her so many times, but she always chooses you. I’m her best friend and you’re my friend. And yeah it because the girl I’m in love with loves someone else but what can I do? You don’t think I’m trying to move on? You don’t think it doesn’t hurt me everytime she cries because of you? You don’t think it kills me when she’s so happy because of the little things you do? God you’re so ing lucky but you’re too damn blind to see it.” Roseanne gets up, leaving before Irene could get another word out.

 

~ ~ ~

 

-Rosie’s POV-

 

I left the cafe feeling frustrated at both Irene and myself, but mostly at myself. I keep telling Jennie to be patient that Irene will come around, when in fact I’m kinda happy that she isn’t. I’m happy that Irene is cold towards Jennie, I’m happy that she’s pushing her away. God I’m a horrible person, for wishing that Irene would push Jennie away enough for her to want to leave.

 

“Just what kind of a best friend am I?” I sigh.

 

“A good one.”

 

“Lisa? What are you doing here?” I was surprised to see her popping out of nowhere.

 

“I met up with a client. I saw you walking by and called you a few times, but you were in your own world, so I decided to catch up to you.”

 

“Oh..sorry.”

 

“Don’t be, but you wanna tell me what’s on your mind? It’s about Jen right?” Lisa looks at me like she can see all my troubles, “C’mon let’s talk at home. I’m parked nearby.”

 

“Sure.”

 

~ ~

 

“So, what’s on your mind?” Lisa asks again and I tell her about Jennie knowing, about my wanting Irene pushing her away, I tell her everything.

 

“Well that’s..expected.” Lisa nods.

 

“Expected?”

 

“I mean you don’t really act platonic towards her and frankly, neither does she towards you.”

 

“What do you mean?”

 

“It’s just like Irene said, if they were having problems, Jen should have talked to her wife, but instead she calls you..she always calls you and you always run to her.”

 

“So are you saying that I should just ignore her? You know I can’t do that Lis.”

 

“No that’s not what I’m saying, because what Irene is doing to her isn’t fair too. You can’t force yourself to fall in-love with someone, that’s why it’s called falling in-love...you just wake up one day freefalling within your own emotions. Falling without even realizing it.”

 

“What am I supposed to do then?”

 

“Maybe take a step back? You said you’ll try to move on..are you really?”

 

“I’m trying to...it’s just I’ve only ever looked at Jen.”

 

“It’s not going to happen overnight Rosie..it’ll take time, but you really need to put in the effort.”

 

“I know.”

 

“Good..now are you going to stay for dinner? Chu’s cooking tonight.”

 

“Well if it’s Chu cooking, sure..you on the other hand.”

 

“Excuse me?! Okay you’re uninvited, leave.” Lisa huffs and I laugh. Trying to get the image of Jennie smiling out of my head.

 

One step at a time Rosie.

 

~ ~ ~

 

“Rosie it’s late, why’d you call me to come here?” Jennie asks, sitting next to me on the picnic blanket.

 

“I just wanted to see you.” I simply say with a shrug.

 

“Is something wrong?” Jennie asks, cupping my face, “You don’t look sick.” She frowns.

 

“I’m fine Jen, really.” I took her hands away from my face, “I just wanted to spend some time with you.” I hold her hands in mine, giving them a gentle squeeze to reassure her.

 

“And it couldn’t wait till morning?”

 

“No.” I shake my head, wondering if I should tell her, “Let’s just stay like this for a little while longer.” I let go of her hands, and decided not to..scared that she would make me change my mind, “Come sit.” I pat the space next to me and she complies, sitting down next to me, leaning her body on my side, resting her head on my shoulder...like she always does.

 

“Are you leaving?” Jennie suddenly asks me, eyes trained on the view in front of us.

 

“What?” I turn to look at the owner of my heart, but she won’t spare me glance.

 

“Are you?” She asks again in a small voice.

 

“What makes you think that?” I choose to ask why, then give her an answer.

 

“Because…” Jennie begins, sitting up and turning her body to fully face me, “this is what happened when you first left….” She says her eyes starting to glisten with unshed tears..

 

“Jennie..” I sigh, pulling her into my arms, “I’m not going anywhere.” I assure her, while her arms wrapped around my waist.

 

“That’s what you said that night too and then you left for 2 years.” She tightens her hold on me, “Rosie...don’t leave again okay?”

 

“I can’t promise that Jen.”

 

“Why?”

 

“Because I have to travel for work sometimes..and then you know vacations.” I give her a half-truth.

 

I’m sorry Jennie, you know I don’t like making promises I can’t keep.

 

“Oh right.” Jennie chuckles, and it seems to lift her mood.

 

We sat together a bit longer before I finally decided to call it a night.

 

“Come on, I'll take you home.” I grab her hand, helping her up onto her feet.

 

“How’d you know I didn’t drive here?”

 

“I just do.” I smile, “And since I’m in such a good mood right now, I’ll give you a piggyback ride to my car.” I offer and she jumps on my back happily.

 

When we arrived at their house the little dumpling was already fast asleep. It was close to 2am, no wonder.

 

“Jen.” I tap her shoulder, “Wake up...we’re here.”

 

“Hmmm..”

 

“This big baby.” I whisper, while I carry her up to their room.

 

“Goodnight.” I tell her, after tucking her in when she grabs onto my hand.

 

“Stay..just until I fall asleep again.” She asks, her voice soft but I caught the pleading tone in her voice.

 

She caught me didn’t she..

 

“Alright.” I relent.

 

You always ask me to stay, just until you fall asleep. And every time I relent because I could never seem to say no to you. So I slip under the covers on the side of the bed that isn’t for me. I slip in and you come closer, wanting me to hold you to sleep and I comply like always. I hold you close..I hold you tight..I curse her for not loving you the way you deserve to be loved, and as I get lost in my thoughts..I once again find myself being lulled to sleep by you. By the way your heart beats softly against my chest, by the way your breathing steadies as you fall deeper into sleep. And as always..I let myself succumb to that soft slumber, only to wake up to my painful reality. You love her…no matter how much she’s hurt you..you still love her the same. I wonder if she knows…how lucky she is.

 

~ ~ ~ ~

 

“All passengers boarding flight G211 to Santorini this is your final boarding call.” I hear the overhead page and rush to my gate.

 

“Chu says to bring her back something pretty. Take care Rosie, see you soon! ” I read the text from Lisa.

 

“I will.” I reply, not having the courage to tell her that I won’t be coming back anymore.

 

~ ~ ~ ~

 

A/N: So..this is the start of the main storyline. What do you think will happen in Santorini? How do you think Jennie will react to Rosie’s sudden disappearance? I’m always curious to know what you guys think will happen, some of you are very spot on with your theories.

 

Let’s see if I can keep this momentum going tomorrow as well

 

Till next time~

 

hasta