Baton (2/3)

Objects of Love

After the concert, Kyuhyun wanted to see his hyung but couldn't find a chance. So many things happened— Donghae and Hyukjae tackled him into a group hug, his bandmates called him to chat and take pictures together, his family came to congratulate him and took pictures together, he went to greet his friends and the members' families, his boss grumpily came to congratulate the three of them, the reporters got him, the mayor wanted to see him, etc. By the time everyone stopped trying to drag him here and there, he couldn't find the conductor anywhere. He checked the waiting room but it was empty. So, he began a trip around backstage looking for the older man. He had something very important to tell his hyung.

 

"Hey, Hyukjae, did you see Jongwoon hyung?"

"Nope, but if you see him, tell him that the mayor wants to see him!"

 

He nodded and continued to look for the maestro. After searching the entire backstage but finding nothing, Kyuhyun went to the hall instead. There, standing on the stage alone, he saw Jongwoon hyung collecting the scores from the seats. He beamed and announced his presence by volunteering to help. The shorter man just nodded and silence fell on them. Flustered, he tried to talk about something else first while he gathered his nerves to confess.

 

"Hyung, we're going to have a party at this really awesome grilled place. Will you come with us? No, you must come with us! After all, you're the star of tonight's show!"

"I can't go. My flight is at nine in the evening."

 

His hands stopped.

 

"Your flight...? Hyung, what do you mean...?"

"I'm flying back to Austria tonight. Are you done on your side? Hand them to me. I need to hurry home and pack my luggage. Oh, no need to send me off—"

"Jongwoon hyung, don't go."

 

Kyuhyun grabbed the thin arm and made the smaller man look at him. While panic was apparent in his eyes, there was nothing in those dark eyes reflecting his image. He gently squeezed the older man's arm as he begged.

 

"Don't go, hyung..."

"Why? My job is already done so why should I stay?"

"What about your family? Don't you want to see them?"

"I have no family here."

"It's been a long while since you're in Korea. Don't you want to sightsee more? I can take you anywhere!"

"I'm not interested."

"But, what about the orchestra? What about us? That's right! Didn't you say that you'll teach me conducting? I genuinely want to be a conductor now after watching you today so please teach me!"

"I only said that I can teach you. I didn't make any promises. Besides, there's a proper music school here if you really want to learn."

"But-but, hyung, then..."

 

 

What about me...?

 

 

Kyuhyun didn't say it out loud but it seemed like Jongwoon hyung still saw through him anyway. The conductor sighed.

 

"Cho Kyuhyun, give me ten reasons why I should stay."

"I can give you a hundred more but I'll summarize into one for you, hyung."

 

He slid his hold down the thin arm to grasp the small hand instead. He waited anxiously but when the conductor didn't pull his hand away, he continued.

 

"Jongwoon hyung, I love you."

 

He finally said it. A confession. At first, he planned to do it more romantically but it didn't matter now. It wouldn't matter if his hyung wouldn't be here with him. Jongwoon hyung didn't seem surprised, almost as if he already expected it, but he also didn't give an answer.

 

"Love is useless."

"What...?"

"I'm saying that you're acting on your hormones instead of your logic. What you feel for me is just a rush of hormones, not love. If you carefully think about it, you'll realize that you have no reasons to love me except the fact that you're physically attracted to me, which, again, is a work of hormones. Once you meet someone who's better looking than me, this spark will die down naturally."

"No, hyung, I genuinely love you. I want to be with you and make you happy."

"See? You're being irrational. Think, Kyu—"

 

Dropping the scores he was carrying, Kyuhyun tugged the smaller hand and stopped the next sentence with his lips. He was afraid of being hated but he refused to pull back. Instead, he hooked their fingers and clasped their palms until no gap was left between their hands. When his hyung didn't push him, he dared to move his lips and carefully tasted the extremely soft lips that he had long dreamed of. He wasn't brave enough to deepen the kiss though. He had a feeling that everything would be ruined if he did that. So, he just contented himself with brushing and nibbling the full lips. At least his hyung didn't stop him—

 

Jongwoon hyung suddenly placed a hand on his nape and reciprocated the kiss.

 

His heart stopped beating for a second and he almost bolted away in shock. However, he gathered his nerves in time and kissed back just as eagerly, if not more. They desperately moved their lips against one another as if there would be no tomorrow. Getting bolder by his hyung's response, Kyuhyun dared to and poke the plump lips, asking for permission to explore him more. The other pair of lips stopped moving at once and he waited anxiously, still pecking the luscious lips. After what felt like an eternity to him, he could feel his hyung slowly and hesitantly open his mouth. His joy was enough to drown both of them as he cautiously pushed just the tip of his tongue in—

 

"There you guys are! Teacher Kim, Kyuhyun, the mayor wants to... see you..."

 

Kyuhyun literally cursed out loud at the interruption that made his hyung immediately shove him. He glared at Donghae who grinned sheepishly at them while Jongwoon hyung wiped his lips on the back of his hand, pretending that nothing happened. The conductor hurriedly picked up the rest of the scores on the floor and strode past his friend out of the hall, probably to see the mayor. He quickly followed the maestro but not before snarling at his friend who accidentally ruined the moment.

 

"Donghae, you!!!"

"I'm sorry!!! I didn't know that you two were, well, smooching!! The mayor really wanted to see you two and Hyuk-ah was getting impatient so—"

"Sigh, alright, let's just go..."

 

He decided to just let it go with a sigh. Maybe it was better this way. Who knows what they would do if they really continued? Because Kyuhyun realized just now that he wouldn't be able to stop once he got to fully taste his beloved hyung. He pulled his hair in frustration as Donghae curiously poked his arm.

 

"So, Kyuhyun, are you and Teacher Kim, um, dating?"

"How nice would that be..."

"What?"

 

Sighing again, Kyuhyun ignored his friend and quickly chased after the conductor.

.

.

.

"What? The city's orchestra?"

"Yes! Your performance was beyond amazing! The entire city is talking about it now. Actually, even the other cities also talk about it! We might even make it to the front page of every newspaper tomorrow!"

 

Mayor Choi said excitedly while clapping his hands, looking between the maestro and him with a huge grin. Jongwoon hyung merely nodded politely at the praise without smiling. The mayor didn't mind the lack of enthusiasm from the conductor and continued.

 

"That's why I plan to make it a permanent thing. Let's have a small show bi-monthly at the city's park and hold a concert during important occasions, for example, the upcoming Christmas! Of course, Maestro Kim, the orchestra will fully be under your command. You and the band members will get a handsome salary. Oh, might I add, Kyuhyun, your bandmates will be recognized as public civil officers. This means that they'll receive benefits such as health insurance or paid leave. Isn't it wonderful?"

"Yes!! Yes, it's amazing! When can we start?"

"Well, that depends on Maestro Kim whether he wants to take the offer or not."

 

Kyuhyun's enthusiasm died down when the cold reality hit him. Right. How could he forget that his hyung just said that he would leave tonight? Can't he do anything to change his hyung's mind...? He glanced at the black-haired conductor who was seated opposite him. Jongwoon hyung met his eyes for a split second and quickly looked away. The conductor then closed his eyes and rubbed his forehead as if he was deep in thought. After ten minutes or so, the conductor finally spoke up.

 

"... I'll take the offer."

"Really!!? Maestro Kim, that's wonderful! Let's call in the reporters—"

"Under two conditions."

 

Jongwoon hyung opened his eyes and lifted two fingers.

 

"First, kick out the old man who's Kyuhyun's superior, and, second,"

 

His hyung glanced at him.

 

"Kyuhyun will be a conductor, not me."

"What? Isn't he a violinist? Kyuhyun-ssi, do you know how to conduct?"

"No, Sir..."

"I'll teach him. For the first few months, I'll be the conductor and whip him into shape. After that, Kyuhyun will take the rein and lead the band while I supervise everything."

"That... To let a person who knows nothing about conducting lead the orchestra..."

"I'm not down for any negotiation. If you can't accept my conditions then farewell."

 

Jongwoon hyung stood up and picked up his bag, really making his way out of the meeting room. The mayor scrambled to grab the conductor's arm and spoke up hurriedly.

 

"I accept it!! I'll arrange everything for you by this week!! You can continue to stay at that house and start the practice next week!"

"Very well. We have a deal."

 

The maestro kept his stoic face as he unclasped the mayor's hand from his arm and shook it instead, all the while Kyuhyun was staring at his hyung in disbelief. Did he just daydream or did his hyung really say that he will stay...? Not only that but his hyung also said that he would take him as his student. Jongwoon hyung won't leave him. He didn't lose his hyung. He still had a chance to win his hyung's heart!!! He grinned widely and bowed politely at Mayor Choi, before running off after the shorter man who had already left not long ago. He caught up with the conductor in front of an elevator and immediately pulled him into his arms.

 

"Hyung! Thank you!"

"...I decided to take a risk so don't disappoint me, Cho Kyuhyun. My stake is too high in this game."

"Yes! I promise I'll make you proud! No matter how hard the training is, I'll do it. I'll be a great conductor and be there with you on the stage!"

"You said it. Don't forget what you said, brat. Even if you complain in tears later, I won't let you quit."

 

He could hear the older man's smirk in his voice as he lightly patted his back. Although Jongwoon hyung really pretended as if the kiss and his confession didn't happen, he didn't mind it. He was willing to wait until his hyung was ready to let him stay by his side. For now, he had to focus on becoming a great conductor and making his hyung proud.

 

 

And brought this good news to his friends and bandmates who waited for them at the restaurant, obviously!

 

*********************************

 

His hyung didn't joke when he said that the training would be brutal.

.

.

.

"What are you doing!!? I told you to match the hand movements with the score, not just wave your hand around. Have you not interpreted the song as I told you to do in advance!!?"

"I'm sorry! I'll do it again!"

 

"That's a baton, not a magic wand! Practice waving it one hour now!"

"Yes!!"

 

"What is this garbage performance? Are you intentionally slowing everyone down with your useless conducting? Even my dogs can do better than you!"

"I'll practice more!"

 

"Where are the things in the books I told you to read last night!!? If you don't understand the history of classical music then don't you dare to think that I'll ever let you on the stage!"

"Understood! I'll reread them all tonight!!"

.

.

.

It had been two weeks now since Kyuhyun started practicing conducting. He thought that his hyung was already strict when he was just a concertmaster. However, he later realized that his hyung was really kind there. Jongwoon hyung wasn't merciful with him at all in teaching him to be a conductor. Every day, he must practice conducting under his hyung's watchful gaze. If he made any mistakes, he had to start everything from the beginning while listening to his hyung's insults. Every night, he must read many thick books about classical music, famous composers, and conducting theory. Then, he had to take an exam the next morning. If he answered even just one question wrong, he wouldn't get a daily hug and head pat. He didn't mind the brutal practice and hardship, but he couldn't live without the hug and head pat! Jongwoon hyung never brought up what happened on the concert day and he didn't mention it either. He accepted staying where he was now even though he was just a protégé (but he still wanted to touch his hyung!). He was fine with watching the older man from this distance. Besides, he was confident that no one was as close to the maestro as him!

 

Or so he thought...

 

"What? Did Teacher Kim dump you for another man more handsome than you?"

"Shut up, Hyukjae."

 

Kyuhyun glared at his friend and turned back to look at his phone. However, there was still no message from his beloved hyung. This morning, Jongwoon hyung told him that he wanted to sightsee around the city but wouldn't let him accompany him. He was suspicious of it since the older man's first syllable. His hyung was a hard-working person who wouldn't take a break even if he was told to. So, it was improbable of his hyung to suddenly want to take a day off. Jongwoon hyung was up to something behind him, for sure, he just had to find it. If only his hyung would answer his call...

 

"Teacher Kim still won't answer your call?"

"Donghae, I told you it's nothing! Jongwoon hyung didn't meet anyone behind me!"

"Then, why did he skip the practice and refused to tell you where he'll go? Maestro Kim and taking a day off? That's impossible! I bet he's seeing someone else right now~"

"Lee Hyukjae!! I'll kill you!!"

 

He got up and ran around the room, trying to kick his friend's . Hyukjae smirked and kept repeating that their conductor was with another man, all the while Donghae was frowning deeply. After a short while, Kyuhyun caught his friend and choked the hell out of him, yet Hyukjae still had time to call his boyfriend who was still frowning.

 

"Hae-ah, what's wrong?"

"I dunno. I just have a feeling that Teacher Kim is a little weird..."

"If he agreed to date this guy then, yeah, he'd be a weirdo!"

"Lee ing Hyukjae!!!"

"No, Hyuk-ah, I'm talking about how harsh the teacher is with Kyuhyun's training, like, he's being especially hard on you. It's like he wants you to master conducting as soon as possible, almost as if he didn't have much time left..."

"Nah, that's just how Teacher Kim is. He pours his heart into classical music and conducting."

"Hmm, you're right. Maybe the teacher is just seeing another man now!"

"Donghae!! Not you too!!"

 

Kyuhyun let go of Hyukjae to kick Donghae instead. The annoying couple ran away hand in hand so he checked his phone again instead, but he still got no message from his hyung. Although he knew that the possibility of Jongwoon hyung seeing someone was basically zero, he still couldn't stop his jealousy. In the end, he decided to call the conductor again. He told his bandmates to practice by themselves and left the room to make a call. He waited and waited but no one answered it. Just as he was about to end the call and try again, it finally connected.

 

"Jongwoon hyung! Where are you? Are you sure that you don't want me to accompany you?"

"..."

"Hyung? Are you annoyed that I keep calling and messaging you? I'm sorry... But I want to know where you are..."

"..."

"I mean, I know that you definitely didn't meet someone! It's just, hyung, I miss you... The practice isn't the same without you and your—"

"Kyuhyun," Jongwoon hyung cut him, "stop calling me. I'm about to see a movie so I can't talk."

"Movie? You're at the cinema? Why don't you wait for me? Hyung, we could have watched—"

 

 

'Kim Jongwoon-ssi, please come to examination room number thirteen.'

 

 

Kyuhyun's heart dropped to the floor.

 

"Hyung? What examination room? Are you at a hospital? What happened? Which hospital? I-I'll go there now so tell—!"

"Kyuhyun, the movie is about to start now so let's end the call here. See you later."

"What movie!!? Jongwoon hyung, where are you!!?"

 

 

'Jongwoon-ssi, it's your cue now. Please follow me to see the doctor.'

 

 

"Jongwoon hyung!! Hyung! Where are you!!? Hyu—"

 

The call ended. Kyuhyun impatiently made another call immediately but he was directed to a voicemail instead. It seemed like the other party had turned off the phone. He cursed and walked in circles anxiously. Just now, he definitely heard a voice telling Jongwoon hyung to go to an examination room. Is his hyung at a hospital now? Is it related to his hyung's constant headache? Why did his hyung have to hide it from him and what exactly happened!!? He had so many questions but zero answers. Worry and anxiety gripped his heart tightly until it bled. He wanted to bolt out of the place and stayed by his hyung's side, but he knew that he shouldn't abandon the practice. As much as he wanted to, he knew that Jongwoon hyung would be disappointed in him. So, against his crying heart, Kyuhyun headed back into the room and resumed the practice. His friends and the members all noticed a drastic change in his mood but no one questioned him, and he was very grateful for it. He didn't think that he had enough patience to deal with anything else right now.

 

 

He just wanted to hurry up and be done with the practice so he could look for Jongwoon hyung.

.

.

.

After the practice, Kyuhyun wanted to drive to every hospital in the city to look for the conductor but decided against it in the end. There were too many hospitals in the city. They might keep missing each other that way. So, he decided to wait for the older man at home. He fed Kkoming and Melo and cleaned the house until he had nothing to do, but Jongwoon hyung still had yet to come back. He kept glancing at the door while pacing around the living room. The night turned later and later and his patience started to run thin. Just as he was about to go out, the man whom he was waiting for finally came back. Jongwoon hyung looked paler and more tired than he remembered. Kyuhyun helped put away the maestro's coat and brought a glass of water for him. The older man took a small sip and slumped down on the couch, rubbing his face tiredly. He sat down beside his hyung but made sure to leave some space for him.

 

"Hyung... What happened? Did you just come back from a hospital?"

"..."

"Is it about the headache? What's it? Can you tell me?"

"..."

"...I know that I'm in no position to probe. I'm just your student, not a family or friend, and definitely not a lover. But I genuinely care about you, Jongwoon hyung."

"..."

"It's alright if you don't want to say it. I'll stay with you regardless because I love—"

"Don't..."

"—You, eh, what did you say hyung?"

 

Jongwoon hyung finally lifted his head and looked at him. Kyuhyun's heart broke into a million pieces when he spotted uncharacteristic anguish in those eyes that usually shone with confidence. The conductor spoke up, so quietly that he almost missed it.

 

"Don't love me... Only regret and pain wait for you..."

"What do you mean? I'd never regret falling for you."

 

He carefully shifted closer on the couch to the other man. When his hyung didn't move away, he placed his hand above the smaller, slightly shaking one. Jongwoon hyung cast his gaze down and whispered.

 

"You're still young, Kyuhyun. You have a bright future ahead of you..."

"But the future that I want must have you in it."

"I'm almost forty now... I'm old and ugly..."

"No. You're still gorgeous, hyung. Though I didn't fall for you because of looks alone."

"I'm rude, selfish, inconsiderate, and a horrible person..."

"That's just your mask. Hyung, I can see through it and I see a person with the most beautiful soul."

"W-Why...? I keep pushing you away all this time. I trampled on your feelings and pretended as if your confession didn't exist. Despite that... Why...?"

"Why did I never give up on you?"

 

Chuckling softly, Kyuhyun turned over the smaller hand and lifted it to his lips, before kissing the cold palm.

 

"Because I'm even more stubborn than you, Jongwoon hyung."

 

His answer seemed to frighten the older man more. The conductor kept shaking his head and tried to pull his hand off. However, Kyuhyun grasped it firmer and kept his lips pressing against it, all the while holding his gaze with the black-haired conductor.

 

"Jongwoon hyung, I love you."

"No...! You can't! You mustn't!!"

"Why?"

"Because I'm going to be deaf in four months!!"

 

The sudden revelation struck him like a lightning. Kyuhyun was genuinely shocked that he let go of the older man's hand. What...? His hyung... is going to be deaf...? He stared at the conductor in utter disbelief while the smaller man looked away from him, as if he couldn't bear to look at his expression.

 

"... Remember my constant headache? Actually, I have a tumor in my brain that grows around the auditory nerve. I already suspected it but it was confirmed just today after seeing a doctor. It causes a mild to severe headache and sometimes hearing loss. On the concert day, the symptom acted up and I couldn't hear what you said back in the waiting room. It persisted until about the end of the first song but I was able to hear again after that."

"Wait, hyung, did you conduct us without hearing the music...?"

"I relied on my memory and experience. Plus, you were there... Kyuhyun... I was very scared. I really did. However, seeing you gave me confidence and courage. I was able to get through it because of you. But..."

 

Jongwoon hyung glanced up. His eyes were red and teary as he continued pouring out his heart.

 

"But it made me feel even more scared. I've been relying on you all these times and I didn't even realize it, not until then. I'm aware that I might lose my hearing one day and I can't be a conductor anymore. However, what would I be without conducting? Nothing! I would be just a nobody! Everyone looks up to me and showers me with praises, but what will happen after that? Will people still look at me? Will you still look at me? Will you still love me, Kim Jongwoon, an ordinary old man with no talents and a bad personality? I realized that I can't bear even just the possibility. T-That's why, that's why—"

"I love you."

 

Kyuhyun pulled the older man into a tight hug. Stunned by his reaction, Jongwoon hyung tried to shove him away but it only made him hug the older man tighter. With his arms circling around the smaller body, he kissed his hyung's temple and kept repeating the confession.

 

"I love you."

"No! You shouldn't!!"

"I love you."

"You stubborn brat!!! Why won't you listen to me!!?"

"I love you."

"I-I told you that I can't rely on you... I shouldn't... You deserve someone better..."

"I love you."

"Stop... Hic.. Please..."

"If you tell me one hundred excuses, I'll say I love you one thousand times more. I'll say it every day and every night. I'll say it until hyung got bored of hearing it. When it comes the day that you can't hear anymore, I'll still keep saying it. I'll say it through my eyes, my actions, and my heart. I'll say it again and again, Kim Jongwoon, I love you."

 

At the last I love you, Kyuhyun prevented the older man from denying him further by sealing the promise with a kiss. He kept it pure and didn't linger too long, just long enough for his hyung to understand that he meant every word he said. He pulled away and gently wiped the tears away from the chubby cheeks, all the while kissing the conductor's forehead to erase his saddened frown.

 

"Whether you're a famous conductor or an ordinary man, my feelings for you will never change."

"... Really?"

"Absolutely. Therefore, there's no need to keep up with your aloof act and just be true to yourself, hyung."

"Then..." Jongwoon hyung grasped his collar, "love me and don't leave me, please..."

"You don't have to ask me, hyung, that's a given!"

 

He whispered with a smile and let the smaller man yank him down for another kiss more intimate and ravenous than the last. Jongwoon hyung whined through an impatient tug at his collar and he was way overjoyed to spoil the other man by deepening the kiss. While Kyuhyun was preoccupied with getting familiar with a sharp tongue that had now lost its edge and surrendered to his dominant caress, he vaguely felt the small hands roaming around his chest and back. Just a faint touch on his skin was enough to ignite his hidden desire. Stealing almost the last of the conductor's breath with his kiss, he let his hyung take a break and burrowed his warm lips in the crook of the slim neck; the smooth skin and leaving behind a hickey marking his territory. While Jongwoon hyung was gasping for air, his hand wandered south and rested sensually on the round buttock. Yet he made no move to it or travel further down. His lips let the marked neck free and he looked up to meet the beautiful, teary black eyes shrouded by arousal.

 

"Jongwoon hyung, may I...?"

"N-Not here, bedroom, K-Kyuhyun, mine..."

"Understood."

 

Kyuhyun nodded and carried the black-haired conductor in his arms, before hurrying to a master bedroom on the second floor. On the way, he kept kissing his hyung's flushed face while whispering I love you. He did so even after he gently laid the older man on a large bed and began undressing him. While Jongwoon hyung still heard him, he wanted to say those three words as often as possible until they were ingrained in his hyung's very soul.

 

 

Throughout the night, only the phrase "I love you" and his hyung's sweet moan echoed within the bedroom as their bodies, their hearts, and their souls became one.

 

************************************

 

Kyuhyun couldn't stop grinning like an idiot.

 

 

After pursuing the conductor for half a year, he finally broke through the wall around his hyung's heart and met the real Kim Jongwoon. That night, even after they were done making a vow with their bodies, he kept saying the three words and holding the older man until both of them fell asleep. Then, they had a talk the next morning regarding his hyung's sickness. As expected, Jongwoon hyung asked him to keep it a secret for now. For the most part, the older man was fine (his hyung's words) except for a few headaches here and there. As for the hearing loss, it happened randomly so they couldn't do anything about it. His hyung told him that he planned to retire after the Christmas concert and get surgery. That's why the maestro was extremely strict with him. He wanted to teach everything he could while he still could. Now that he understood the underlying reason, he worked even harder to continue the legacy after his hyung. Plus, now that they were officially dating (HELL YEAH), he could look after and spoil the conductor as much as he wanted. He always kept an eye on the smaller man and never left his side when a headache occurred. He also learned how to read lips and use sign language together with his boyfriend to prepare themselves for the inevitable future. Although a grim day awaited them, they were happy more than ever. Even if Jongwoon hyung never returned those three words, Kyuhyun still knew that his beloved boyfriend loved him— clinging to him every night, watching him reading books while smiling and poking his cheek, always leaning on his shoulder when sitting together, back-hugging him when he made a meal or washed the dishes, heck, sometimes his hyung even initiated a y time and begged him to do more!!

 

He didn't expect the aloof conductor to be... very cute... after he was tamed...

 

Kyuhyun felt like he could die from cuteness overload any day with how absolutely adorable his boyfriend was. He loved his boyfriend so much and wanted to shout it to the whole world. However, Jongwoon hyung told him not to reveal their relationship to anyone out of embarrassment, not even to their bandmates. Although they all noticed his obvious lovestruck gaze toward the conductor, the maestro exceptionally maintained a poker face so they couldn't guarantee it, well, not until his friends got his boyfriend one day...

 

 

"Teacher Kim, did you and Kyuhyun finally do the deed?"

"What are you talking about, Hyukjae-ssi?"

"Teacher," Donghae grinned, "you have a kiss mark on your neck."

"What? No, that's impos— Kyuhyun!! I told you not to leave any marks where people can see!"

"I didn't," Kyuhyun protested innocently, "there's no mark. Hyung, you got tricked by that sly couple."

"What...?"

 

Still covering his neck in his hand, Jongwoon hyung looked between him and the HyukHae couple, before turning bright red on his face. Hyukjae and Donghae gleefully exchanged a high-five while the rest of the band cheered boisterously. Kyuhyun cheered along with his bandmates and immediately threw himself at his boyfriend. He didn't have to hide their relationship anymore! He hugged and kissed his boyfriend's cheek amidst everyone's cheering, all the while Jongwoon hyung tried to shove him away with a flushed face.

 

"Kyuhyun! Stop! Have some respect for the workplace and your co-workers!! Yah! You brat where are you touching!!?"

"Who cares? I can now say to the world that I love you and you're my boyfriend, Jongwoon hyung!!"

"Kyuhyun!!"

"Ahem, I'm sorry for interrupting the team's bonding time."

 

The conductor instantly bolted out of his embrace at the unfamiliar voice chiming in. They stopped joking around and turned to see a short brown-haired man at the door, giving them a wide but business-liked smile.

 

"Hello, I'm Kim Ryeowook, Mayor Choi's secretary. I'm tremendously sorry for interrupting your practice but I must see Donghae-ssi now."

"Lee Donghae here! Is something the matter?"

"Yes. I feel bad for bringing bad news to you but our opponent from the other political party has found out about the loss of four million won fund and they wanted to bring it to light. If that happened, you'll face severe punishment for embezzlement of the city's tax. That's why we must be the one who makes the first move. We'll conduct an internal investigation and quietly lay you off. You'll lose a job but at least you don't have to face jail time."

"M-Me? Losing my job...? Please tell me that you're joking...?"

"I'd love to but unfortunately it's the truth."

"Is there really no way to save Hae-ah...?"

"I'm afraid not, Hyukjae-ssi. The next election is just around the corner and Mayor Choi can't lose this. That's why, please come with me, Donghae-ssi."

"No, if there's anyone at fault then it's me. I'm the project manager and the one who assigned Donghae to the job. It's my fault for being unable to look after my co-worker. Take me instead."

"But you're our next conductor, Kyuhyun-ssi! Please, don't make it any harder for me."

"Donghae is my dear friend so I won't let you touch him!"

"Kyuhyun-ssi!!"

"Calm down, all of you."

 

Jongwoon hyung stepped in between them and stopped the endless argument. Then, he turned to look at the anxious secretary.

 

"Ryeowook-ssi, may I talk with you privately for a second? Let's move to my office."

"Anything for you, Maestro Kim!"

"Hyung, I'll go with—"

"Kyuhyun, stay here and continue the practice. That's my order as your mentor."

"Understood..."

 

Kyuhyun watched the conductor and the secretary disappeared into the office with a saddened puppy gaze. Although this issue was his full responsibility, his hyung wouldn't let him take part in the discussion. His friends noticed his gloomy mood and Donghae apologized to him again, but he brushed it off. Without the incident, they wouldn't have met their wonderful bandmates. He wouldn't have rekindled his passion for classical music. Most importantly, he and Jongwoon hyung wouldn't have reached where they were now. He was happy with how his life turned out and wouldn't exchange it for the world. He just hoped that his boyfriend wouldn't leave him out. Kyuhyun sighed and resumed the practice. An hour later, Jongwoon hyung and the mayor's secretary left the room with an unreadable expression. The two then left together without saying anything. He wanted to follow them but he couldn't abandon the practice.

So, he grumpily continued the practice and immediately messaged his boyfriend soon after the class was dismissed. However, he was ignored no matter how many messages he sent. He had no choice but to wait at their home. He waited for many hours until he fell asleep, only waking up when he heard Kkoming and Melo barking. Heading to the front door, he saw his boyfriend being carried by the mayor, looking wasted with a cute flushed face. Jealousy flared up and he quickly asked for his man back. Mayor Choi looked amused but obediently handed the conductor to him. Kyuhyun didn't bother to greet his superior and even shut the door in his face, before hurrying to take the older man to the bedroom. He changed his hyung's clothes and used a damp towel to gently wipe his face. The cooling touch woke the smaller man up and his boyfriend blinked at him confusedly.

 

"Kyuhyun...?"

"Yes, it's me, your boyfriend. Jongwoon hyung, will you tell me where were you? Why are you coming back wasted in the mayor's arms?"

"Nothin'," the conductor slurred, "just askin' 'im to drop the case. The fund, 'tis fine now, no one'll touch your 'cious friend. Isn't that amazing?"

"How? By drinking with him until you can't tell north from south? Even though you usually hate alcohol?"

"Nope. I've friends, many friends, everywhere, got evidence 'bout the other party's frauds, gave 'em to the mayor to threaten those guys, so, they'll drop it, the case, the concert made up for it anyway, then, just had a 'ew drink, a few, really..."

 

Although the conductor's speech was really hard to make sense of, Kyuhyun still got the main point which was a cancellation of the charge against Donghae for embezzlement. So, Jongwoon hyung pulled a string behind his back to save him and his friend. He was happy, obviously. He just wished that his hyung would tell him so he could at least pick him up after the meeting. He sighed in exasperated fondness and tried to kiss his boyfriend's cheek, but the black-haired man turned away from him.

 

"Huff, aren't you one happy guy?"

"Jongwoon hyung?"

"Hm! Of cuz, you must be, after all, your precious friend is free now! Yeah, 'cious, very important..."

"Wait... Hyung, are you jealous of me and Donghae...?"

 

The conductor didn't answer him but Kyuhyun still knew from an annoyed pout that he was correct. He broke out grinning instantly. Who would have thought that his boyfriend would be so adorably honest when he was drunk? He smirked and lay down beside the older man, pulling him into his arms while trying to make him stop fuming and pouting.

 

"Jongwoon hyung, you know that Donghae already has Hyukjae, right?"

"Hm!"

"You're my one and only partner, hyung."

"Lair! You don't even use my name!"

"I did? I always call you Jongwoon hyung. Or do you want me to change it?"

"Change! Call me Jongwoon-ah! I'm your boyfriend, not hyung, stupid brat!!"

"Alright, Jongwoon-ah, anything else?"

"Love me more!"

"Yes."

"Hug me more!"

"Will do."

"A-And,"

 

Jongwoon hyung finally turned around to face him with a melancholic look.

 

"...Call me by my name more. I want to hear your voice while I still can, Kyuhyun."

"Of course, Jongwoon-ah, I love you."

 

Kyuhyun promised and called the older man's name until he fell asleep, but he still kept whispering the name; hoping that it would accompany his hyung in his dream. He did so while caressing the soft chubby cheek adoringly. Although his hyung might appear strong and independent, he was actually very delicate and often felt insecure. Like a rose, it may have a lot of sharp thorns but it is actually very fragile. He wanted to protect this beautiful rose and ensured only a bright sunny day for it.

 

 

First of all, he had to figure out how to recount tonight's event to his Jongwoon-ah without making his prideful boyfriend want to die from embarrassment...

 

****************************************

 

Author's note:

Poor our Jongwoon :(  Luckily, we have the faithful and loving boyfriend Kyuhyun who will never leave his side  <3 Although a dark day awaits them, they'll get over it together and absolutely nothing will go wrong ;)

Next chapter is the end of this story. This one is particularly long cuz I don't wanna leave out any moments. Every step of their relationship is precious and I hope you think the same! Stick with them to the end of their journey and don't get bored of the long chapter yet~ 

Take care and love you <3

 

PS. I already said this in Twitter but I wanna say it again here! Objects of Love has reached 100 subscribers!!! Thank you so much to everyone who makes it happen. I hope you'll keep supporting Super Junior, kyusung, and me in the future  :)