Handkerchief

Objects of Love

"Kyuhyun-ah, don't forget your handkerchief!"

"Yes! I'm leaving, eomma!"

 

Kyuhyun snatched a sapphire blue handkerchief made of silk from a dining table. He hastily stuffed it in the shirt pocket as he made way to a bus stop. Arriving, he sat down on a long bench and waited for a bus. After a while, someone sat down at the other end of the bench. He snuck a glance at the newcomer— a cute black-haired boy with chubby cheeks who seemed to be around his age. That uniform... If he recalled correctly, it belonged to some elite highschool in the same district but different neighborhood from his school. So, that guy was probably waiting for the same bus. The cute guy who wore earphones hummed softly along with the song he was listening to. He couldn't tell what it was from this distance but he could tell that the black-haired boy had a beautiful voice. Kyuhyun found himself staring at the other person without blinking. He wanted to pinch those chubby cheeks so badly...

 

The boy suddenly looked up and their eyes met.

 

"H-Hello!"

 

Kyuhyun wanted to punch himself for sounding so stupid. He smiled sheepishly while waving at the smaller boy. His heart dropped to the ground when the black-haired boy frowned. Oh no. Did he make a bad first—

 

"Hi."

 

The other boy greeted him back with a cute smile that blinded his vision for a second. His heart rolled around and flipped crazily in his chest at the crescent eyes and cherry red lips. He stared dumbly at the cutie with his mouth hanging open, suddenly forgetting all Korean vocabulary. The raven boy stood up and nodded at him while still smiling, before getting on a bus. Sitting down beside a window, the shorter boy continued to smile and wave at him until the bus took off. Meanwhile, Kyuhyun still couldn't find his tongue and kept watching the other boy until the bus was out of his sight. He clutched his shirt and took many deep breaths, but his heart still jumped noisily like a kid playing in the rain.

 

He had fallen in love at first sight.

 

Kyuhyun grinned like a fool as his brain replayed their brief fateful meeting. Then, he saw a red handkerchief lying on the ground and picked it up. There was an initial 'JW' embroidered at the corner of the cloth. Did his soulmate drop it? He brought it to his nose and inhaled. It smelled like a mix of coffee and a garden after the rain. He wondered if the cute guy also smelled—

 

"... What the hell am I doing!!? I'm not a creep!"

 

He looked around the bus stop and sighed. Luckily, no one was here to witness his weird behavior. He carefully put the red handkerchief in his bag for returning later. Right now, he had to go to school before it was late—

 

"Crap!! I just missed the bus!"

.

.

.

In the end, he was late for school and had to clean a lab room after school as a punishment. He hurried to finish the task and went back to the bus stop, hoping to see his soulmate again. Sadly, he waited for an hour but the boy didn't come. He went home with a heavy heart, weighted by the handkerchief that still lay in his bag. Before going to bed, he took it out to look at it and fell asleep while holding it firmly.

 

 

He dreamed of the black-haired boy and him getting married under a bright full moon.

 

**************

 

One week later...

 

 

The black-haired boy had yet to come back to the bus stop and Kyuhyun felt like a withered flower. He stopped carrying the red handkerchief after the fourth day but still looked at it every night before going to bed. He also put it under his pillow so that he would dream of the boy...

 

"Kyuhyun-ah, bring an umbrella too. The weather forecast said that it might rain all day."

"Okay. Bye, eomma!"

 

He walked to the bus stop as usual and sat down on the bench. He absentmindedly looked at the grey sky that reflected the state of his heart. It will probably rain soon.

 

"Hi, long time no see."

"Yeah, long time— you!!?"

 

Kyuhyun gasped when he turned to his left and saw a familiar boy sitting at the other end of the bench. Did he only ride a bus on Monday? Looking up again, he was about to strike a conversation but the boy already put on the earphones. Sighing, he resigned himself to just watching his soulmate. The bus had yet to arrive but the sky had turned darker. Eventually, thick raindrops fell from the cloudy sky and deafened everything. Although the bus stop had a roof, it did nothing against the rain blowing at them from the sides.

 

So, they shifted slightly closer to the middle of the bench.

 

"..."

"..."

 

The raven boy said nothing and Kyuhyun only focused on watching him. Only the sound of the rainfall accompanied them as they waited for the bus that was no doubt delayed by the heavy rain. After a while more, the wind blew harsher into the bus stop from the sides, wetting the edges of the bench in the process.

 

So, they shifted further closer to the middle of the bench.

 

"..."

"..."

 

Both of them still said nothing, too busy with their tasks at hand. However, Kyuhyun started to realize that he might fall harder the closer he was with his crush. At this distance, he noticed those rich coal eyelashes fluttering opening and closing on the mesmerizing obsidian eyes. Gosh, he felt like he was about to have a heart attack anytime soon! Although the temperature was quite cold due to the rain, his whole body still felt hot as if it was on fire. Even the blowing wind didn't help cool down this heat in his chest. It only wetted the bench more.

 

So, they shifted even closer to the middle of the bench.

 

"..."

"..."

 

Right now, they were huddling together in the middle of the long bench to avoid the rain. Their shoulders and knees sometimes brushed and Kyuhyun felt like he got shocked by a static which caused an abnormality in his heart. Despite the heavy rain, he only heard his drumming heartbeat echoing in his ears as he stared at the smaller boy who took off the earphones with his adorable small hands. This is his chance!

 

"Um, why did you stop? Your earphones, I mean..."

 

And he lost his vocabulary again.

 

"This? The rain is too loud that I barely hear the song but I don't want to increase the volume. Maybe it's better to just listen to the rain."

"Or we can talk."

 

The cute boy raised a brow at him which made him hold his breath for a second, though he soon released it when the boy beamed at him.

 

"Sure. The bus will be late anyway. I'm Jongwoon, Kim Jongwoon, last year in XXX school. You?"

"Cho Kyuhyun. I'm in my last year too but at YYY school."

"YYY school? Then we ride the same bus! But why didn't you get on one last week?"

"Um, well, I wasn't in a hurry..."

 

How could he say that he was falling hard for the boy's smile that he forgot about the bus?

 

"I see." Jongwoon smiled, "did you see my handkerchief? I probably dropped it somewhere between the bus stop and my school..."

"Oh, yes, I—"

 

Wait. How should he explain all the wrinkles? Confessed that he clung to it every night? No! He couldn't risk his soulmate thinking that he was a creep!!

 

"You did?"

"I mean, um, sorry, but I have no idea..."

"Sigh, it's okay. I'll just tell my hyung to buy me a new one."

"You have an older brother?"

"Yep. He works for a well-known fashion magazine! Usually, Heechul hyung drives me to school but he's busy as of lately on Monday so I go by myself."

"Ah, no wonder I never saw you before and you didn't come here again until today."

 

Jongwoon's brow rose.

 

"Were you waiting for me?"

"What? No! I mean, yes, but, um, you see—"

 

A bus came to stop in front of them.

 

"Let's go, Kyuhyun, or else we'll be late for school!"

"Oh, okay!"

 

Kyuhyun felt like a toddler who just learned how to walk as he waddled after the black-haired boy and got on the bus. Jongwoon sat down on a double seat beside a window and he was hesitant. Should he sit down beside him? Would he look like a stalker if he did so? He couldn't make up his mind so he stood dumbly even though there were many vacant seats in the bus.

 

"Kyuhyun, why are you standing? Come sit with me!"

 

Jongwoon giggled and tapped a space beside him. He grinned like a fool and quickly dropped down beside his crush. Jongwoon's smile and laughter were really cute! After that, he spent time grinning while watching the raven boy chatting about everything. His brain didn't even register the words that were said, just focusing on a pair of moving pale red lips.

 

"Kyuhyun."

 

Will Jongwoon look better in white or black suit for their wedding?

 

"Kyuhyun."

 

Though he'd love to see Jongwoon in a wedding dress too... He'll definitely look gorgeous!

 

"Kyuhyun."

 

Imagine lifting a beautiful lace veil to see his bride's stunning smile! Ahhh! Jongwoon will be the most gorgeous person in the world!!

 

"Kyuhyun."

 

Then, then, a groom and bride have to kiss to seal the vows! Imagine caressing those cute chubby cheeks as he slowly leaning in! Then their lips will meet and—!

 

"Kyuhyun!!"

"Ah! Yes! What happened!!?"

 

Jongwoon (in a school uniform, not a wedding dress) covered his mouth with shaking shoulders as he looked at him with amusement shining brightly in his almond-shaped eyes.

 

"T-The bus just passed your school stop. Aren't you going to get off the bus?"

"Huh? What school— Oh crap!!! I'm late again!!!"

 

Kyuhyun stood up and ran to the door to press the bell even though the bus had already taken off from his stop. The bus driver uncle glared at him but opened the door for him anyway. He jumped down the doorsteps and tripped on his own leg, falling to sprawl like a starfish on the footpath. Luckily, the fall wasn't too hard so he didn't break any bones (but he definitely broke his face).

 

"Kyuhyun!! Are you alright!!?"

"Y-Yes!! Totally fine! Hahaha!"

 

He grinned and gave his angel a thumb up. Jongwoon seemed worried but the boy also giggled at his slip. Kyuhyun kept waving at his future wife who waved back just as happily until the bus was out of his sight. Still grinning widely, he resumed his trip to the school while searching for his handkerchief to wipe his face.

 

"Huh? It's not here... Did I drop it on the bus?"

 

Shrugging, he went to school just like that. A broad smile never left his face for the entire day, even though he had to clean a pool as a punishment for being late.

 

 

He can't wait for the next Monday to arrive!

 

*****************************************

 

It rained not long after he arrived at the bus stop.

 

 

Kyuhyun sighed as he shifted to sit in the middle of the bench to avoid the spray of rain. He wondered if Jongwoon wouldn't be here today because of the rain. Would his brother insist on dropping him off so his little brother wouldn't catch a cold? If that was the case, then he had to wait for another week to see his future wife. Maybe he should get Jongwoon's number so they could keep contact despite not meeting. Yes! Let's do that today!

 

"Good morning, Kyuhyun!"

"Morning! Jong—"

 

His greeting got stuck in his throat after he saw his crush. Jongwoon was slightly wet from head to toe. His damp raven hair lost it fluff and fell down to frame his oval face instead. A droplet of water trickled down from his bang to the tip of his nose. The boy rubbed it off with his finger while his lips that looked very luscious and moist today. His chubby cheeks were painted in a light pink blush as Jongwoon smiled at him. The white short-sleeved shirt clung closely to the boy's torso. A pair of perky buds protruded from beneath the damp uniform and Kyuhyun's mouth suddenly felt dry like a desert. Even the black pants also hugged around the boy's slim thighs and legs intimately, revealing—

 

"The weather today ! I was on my way to the bus stop when it suddenly rained— Kyuhyun! Where are you going!!?"

"I-I feel like running to school today!!"

 

Kyuhyun got up and dashed off before the smaller boy noticed his tight crotch and blazing crimson face. However, he ran back and threw his handkerchief (a new one) at Jongwoon without making an eye contact.

 

"Here! Use that to dry yourself!!"

"Thanks, but what about— Kyuhyun!!?"

 

Kyuhyun ran off as if he was competing for a gold medal in a marathon. He arrived at school soaking from head to toe and wasn't able to focus at all. He kept seeing Jongwoon's stunning figure on a white board instead of equations. He also felt really hot and bothered all day.

 

 

That night, instead of their wedding, he dreamed of Jongwoon his name with blushing cheeks beneath him.

 

*****************************************

 

He caught a flu.

 

 

Not surprising, considered that he did run to school while it was raining instead of riding a bus like a sane person. The flu was so bad that he had to take a week off school to recover. So, he missed Monday and had to wait for another week to see his crush. His stupid hormones! He didn't even greet Jongwoon properly or get his number last time! He waited for another Monday with a depressed mood while also feeling guilty for having more lewd dreams about the black-haired boy. He felt bad about it but he couldn't control his dreams (or his desire, he was a healthy young man, after all). So, he could only thicken his face before seeing his angel again. At least he must not have a while he is with Jongwoon...

 

"Kyuhyun! You come!"

 

Today, Jongwoon was already at the bus stop when he arrived. He greeted back as enthusiastic as he could but the smaller boy still noticed his tired voice.

 

"Did you catch a cold from that day?"

"Yeah, that's why I missed the last Monday, sorry..."

"Why are you apologizing? Your health is the top priority! Though I admitted that you made me feel worried when you didn't show up."

"Jongwoon, I—"

 

He wanted to say that he missed the boy very much but chickened out at the last minute. He still wasn't sure if Jongwoon shared his feelings or not.

 

"Kyuhyun?"

"Um, I want to know if you saw my handkerchief on the bus that day? The Monday before the last? I probably dropped it while tripping stupidly."

"I'm sorry but no. I didn't see anything... But..."

"But?"

"Eh... um, Kyuhyun..."

 

Kyuhyun noticed that the shorter boy seemed nervous today. The cute boy also hid something in his clapped palms but he couldn't tell what it was. He was about to ask but the bus arrived first. Jongwoon strode past him to get on the vehicle in a hurry. He quickly followed his heart and saw the black-haired boy sitting down at the back row seat by a window, the only available seats. He sat down beside his crush without hesitation. He was still curious about the object in those adorable small hands. However, it was very obvious that Jongwoon didn't want to talk about it so he didn't press either. Plus, his angel seemed like he had a lot in his mind so Kyuhyun decided to not bother the boy, being contented with just watching him. A few minutes later, more people got on the bus and soon the back row seat was full. However, at the next stop, a new passenger who was a middle-aged woman decided to squeeze herself in a tiny available space of the back row seat, forcing Kyuhyun to literally press himself to the shorter boy. Now, their thighs and arms were touching intimately and he could easily see the entire galaxy in those gorgeous dark eyes.

 

"S-Sorry, that ajumma pushed me..."

 

He whispered and blushed slightly when he saw that the smaller boy was also blushing too.

 

"It's fine... I don't mind it..."

 

Jongwoon mumbled almost inaudible while keeping his head low, still clutching the mysterious item in his palms. After that, neither of them said anything as they were being too conscious of their non-existent distance. Kyuhyun secretly wished that time would stop or move slower because he wanted to be with his crush a while longer, and it came true. Their bus got stuck in a traffic with no sign of moving soon. Not long after that, the sky started to shower. Numerous tiny raindrops hit the glass window and the black head beside him began to nod, before falling against the window with a light thud. Jongwoon had fallen asleep. After his hand stopped shaking from nervousness, Kyuhyun carefully made the boy lean on his shoulder instead. He was startled by a quiet grunt coming from the sleeping boy but soon relaxed when Jongwoon didn't seem to wake up. Giddiness and pink bubbles filled his chest as he stared at his angel's peaceful look. Then, he noticed something poking out of the boy's closed hands. Jongwoon probably unconsciously relaxed his grip in his sleep. The thing looked soft and had a blue color. Actually, it looked a lot like his handkerchief...

 

It was really his handkerchief.

 

At first, he thought that it was his lost handkerchief but it was probably the one that he lent the boy last time. Did Jongwoon hold on to it all this time to return it to him? Smiling, Kyuhyun was about to pull the cloth out so the other boy could sleep more comfortably. However, as soon as he touched the handkerchief, the two small hands immediately clamped down and held his hand hostage. He tried to take his hand out while his ears slowly heated up, but those endearing hands were stronger than he thought.

 

"No... hyung..."

 

Did Jongwoon think that he was his brother? He craned his neck to hear a quiet mumble better.

 

"This... Kyuhyun... He's dear to me..."

 

Kyuhyun got instantly knocked out.

 

What? Did his brain make that up to satisfy his crush or did Jongwoon just indirectly confess to him!!? The heat at his ears soon spread to the entirety of his face and even crept to his nape. His heartbeat was also very thunderous that he suspected the entire bus heard it, because many passengers who glanced at them were smiling fondly or knowingly. His palm almost burned when he used it to cover his face yet he made no attempt to take his imprisoned hand out. On the contrary, he squeezed the soft hand back and leaned his head on top of Jongwoon's. Even after the ajumma had gotten off and the back row seat was empty again, Kyuhyun didn't move an inch from where he was; glued by his crush's side, leaning against one another, their hands connected. Although he wished for the time to completely stop, he knew that it was impossible so he was extremely, reluctantly straightened up when it would be his stop soon.

 

"Jongwoon?"

"Mm, five minutes..."

"Sorry... but I have to get off at the next stop..."

"Hmm, Kyuhyun?"

 

Jongwoon woke up and blinked at him drowsily which reminded him of a kitten, a very cute black kitten. He coughed shyly as he lightly tugged his still-imprisoned hand.

 

"So, um, can you let go of my hand?"

"What? Your hand?"

 

The black-haired boy looked down. Then, his chubby cheeks drastically changed from pale pink to dark red. Jongwoon snatched his hands away at a speed of light as if he was touching a scorching object, causing the blue handkerchief to drop to his lap. Although a cat was already out of the bag, Kyuhyun still pretended to be clueless for the sake of his flustered angel.

 

"Ahem, um, I have to go now, so, bye, Jongwoon."

"Wait!"

 

The boy stopped him by tugging his wrist and let go when he turned to look. Jongwoon picked up the handkerchief and hid the lower half of his face behind it. Shy but joyful gaze glanced up at him, followed by the cutest thank you he had ever heard in his life.

 

"Thank you for lending me this... I washed and ironed it neatly and had been looking forward to return it to you..."

"No problem!"

 

The corner of his lips almost made it to the back of his head with how wide his smile was. He took the blue handkerchief and bid farewell to his future wife, before getting off the bus. The rain had stopped and the sky was no longer dark and cloudy. As usual, he stayed in place and kept waving at Jongwoon who eagerly waved back until the bus left his field of vision. Turning around, he grinned at everything around him while clutching the handkerchief— the bright blue sky, the white fluffy clouds, a vibrant rainbow, birds flying by, a lush green tree by the school gate, a tiny frog jumping from puddles to puddles, a school dog rolling happily on the ground, a fat orange cat sleeping lazily in a gazebo, students whom he wasn't familiar with, his homeroom teacher and his classmates.

 

 

Kyuhyun kept grinning like an idiot even after he was told to stand outside of the classroom for arriving late, again.

 

*************************************

 

He only realized after he went home that he forgot to get Jongwoon's number yet again. Kyuhyun was equally relaxed and impatient. He was relaxed knowing that his crush definitely shared his feelings but he was also impatient to meet the raven boy again. For that reason, he got up very early the next Monday, surprising even his mother and sister. He ignored their probing and literally ran off. He didn't stop to catch a breath and kept running untill he saw a familiar bus stop. The corner of his lips automatically rose after he saw a cute silhouette running toward the bus stop from the opposite direction.

 

"Jongwoon!"

"Kyuhyun!"

 

They almost collided with each other and barely stopped running in time. Both of them were sweating and panting tiredly yet a genuine happy smile never left their lips and eyes. Their reddened cheeks perfectly mirrored just like their smiles, though it was hard to determine the cause. Was it exhaustion or something else entirely? Neither of them cared about it.

 

""Jongwoon!/Kyuhyun!""

 

They blinked at each other and laughed at their unintentional harmony.

 

"Why don't we sit down first and talk later?"

"Good idea. My legs are killing me now."

 

Kyuhyun nodded at the shorter boy's suggestion and eagerly sat down beside him. They sat together in the middle of the bench despite the lack of rain. Jongwoon took out his red handkerchief and dabbed his forehead. So, he followed suit and looked for his own one. However, he quickly realized that he left it on the dining table while leaving in a hurry. He sighed.

 

"Well, at least I still have my shirt's sleeves."

"Kyuhyun, you can use this if you don't mind."

 

Jongwoon smiled shyly and offered a handkerchief to him— a blue one.

 

"Huh? I thought you already returned it last— ah."

"Yes... it's the one you dropped on the bus... Sorry for keeping it all this time but I want an excuse t-to meet you again..."

 

The more Jongwoon spoke, the redder his cheeks became and the quieter his voice trailed off. By the end of the sentence, the smaller boy's chin almost touched his chest as he cast his gaze down. Kyuhyun took his long-lost handkerchief from the cute small hand. His facial muscles were doing a weird dance, especially at his cheeks and lips. Too cute. So cute. His future wife was super illegally cute that it wasn't fair to his heart! The urge to pinch that rosy chubby cheek increased millionfold and he decided to go for it. However, he changed his mind at the last minute and aimed for a peck instead. While Jongwoon still kept his chin low, Kyuhyun leaned in until the smooth and flawless skin was right before his eyes.

 

"I'm really really sorry! Don't get mad at—"

 

Jongwoon suddenly turned his way so his lips met something way softer and sweeter than the chubby cheek. They sprang apart in a single swift move like opposite magnet poles repelling one another. The color on their faces was a replica of the setting sun. They awkwardly looked away, not knowing what to say (or how to speak without sounding like a squeaky toy). A few minutes had passed but neither of them had made a move. After a while longer, Kyuhyun glanced at the other boy. He saw Jongwoon's left hand on the bench so very close to his right hand. As if he was walking on a thin ice, he carefully brushed the smaller pinky with his larger one. After what felt like an eternity (when in fact it could be just a millisecond), the smaller pinky poked him back. Feeling confident now, he placed his hand on top of the precious other one and beamed when the boy leaned on him, his head resting on his shoulder. Kyuhyun squeezed their connected hands while Jongwoon snuggled closer, before staying like that in a blissful silence. Neither of them said anything because they already knew what the other party had in mind— them.

 

"Jongwoon...?"

"Hm?"

"Remember your lost handkerchief? When we first met?"

"Uh-huh?"

"Actually... you dropped it at this place and I've been holding onto it all this time... It's at my house now..."

"Oh, well, that's good to know!"

"You don't mind it?"

"Nope! Hyung already bought me a new one~"

"I see! Glad to hear that!"

 

They continued to relish in the golden silence for a while longer.

 

"Kyuhyun?"

"Yes?"

"You said that my handkerchief is at your place, right?"

"Yep."

"Then... Would you mind if I visited your house this Saturday and retrieved— Kyuhyun!!? Why are you slapping your face!!?"

"Make sure that I'm not dreaming right now."

"Was I being too forward...?"

"Not at all! I mean, I've already planned our wedding and all! Do you think I'm being too forward...?"

"I like a man with vision!"

 

Jongwoon giggled and pecked his cheek, and Kyuhyun grinned like a biggest fool in the world. As they continued to wait for a bus together, the sky darkened and it began to rain. But from now on, they wouldn't be bothered by any rains ever again.

 

 

 

Not only did they both have a handkerchief, but they also had their beloved one's warmth and comfort.

 

***************************************************

 

Author's note:

 

Ah, first love and youths, aren't they amazing? //sipped tea.

I'll take back my title as the Master of Fluff if you guys don't giggle or squeal at least once while reading this! (Please tell me you do cuz I'm really proud of this title so I don't wanna lose it (っ˘̩╭╮˘̩)っ  )

It's been a really long time since I updated this series. I'm happy to be back here~ Note though that I didn't abandon my Xmas project just taking a break. You could say that I miss writing KyuSung fluff  xD

So rest assured those whose prompt isn't posted yet! I might take time but I won't abandon it!

Take care and love you <3

 

Ps. Did you guy notice the new cover? It's super cute right!!! Courtesy to my moot @jadevoice13 for this! (~ ̄³ ̄)~