Rock

Objects of Love

Jongwoon was on his way home when a small boy harshly bumped into him. Instead of apologizing, the brown-haired boy glared at him and ran off to the distance. While he stared after the boy in utter confusion, a beautiful middle-aged woman ran out of a house beside his and almost bumped into him. Luckily, he managed to avoid it this time. The woman noticed him and smiled apologetically.

 

"You must be Jongwoon-ah who lives beside us, right? Did you happen to see my son?"

"Kyuhyun? Yes, he bumped into me and ran away not long ago. Auntie, what happened?"

"Sigh, I'm sorry for what my little boy did. You know that our family just moved here last week, right? Kyuhyun-ah is still angry at us for forcing him to go to the new school so he runs away..."

 

Jongwoon thought back to when Kyuhyun bumped into him. Although it was only a brief moment, he felt like he saw the boy's tears.

 

"Then, I'll go get him back!"

"You're very kind, Jongwoon-ah, but I don't want to bother you."

"It's not a bother at all! Plus, Kyuhyun might listen to me since we're both kids."

"I see... Then, please bring him back, Jongwoon-ah "

"Leave it to me!"

.

.

.

Jongwoon found the kid at a secluded spot in a public park. Kyuhyun was sobbing while hiding his face in his knees. He sat down beside the boy and smiled when the boy looked up at him.

 

"Hello, do you want to go home with me? Auntie, your eomma is really worried about you."

"I don't want to talk to you or eomma or appa!"

"Who said I'm talking with you? I'm having a meaningful conversation with Mister Rock here!"

 

While the boy looked at him dumbfoundedly, Jongwoon picked up a small rock and held it in his palms. He beamed and started chatting with it.

 

"Mister Rock, I saw you crying and it made me sad! If you want to, you can talk to me about it. Why are you crying?"

"I-I'm not going to tell you!"

"I told you, I'm talking to Mister Rock, not you."

 

Jongwoon giggled when Kyuhyun looked at him with a lost expression, before continuing the conversation with the rock.

 

"Let me guess. Hmm, you're probably upset because you have to leave your friends, right? Plus, it's not easy to make a new friend too."

 

Kyuhyun flinched but still kept his mouth shut, so Jongwoon continued.

 

"I can't say that I understand you because I never have to move to another place, though I know how it feels to be alone, that no one understands you, not even your parents."

"You know?"

 

Jongwoon quickly turned to look at Kyuhyun but the boy immediately glared back.

 

"I-I'm asking Mister Rock, not you."

"Alright, I'll keep chatting with Mister Rock then! Yes, I know how it feels. When I was eight just like you, I had a friend who moved away to another city. I cried and begged my parents to move our house there but they said it's impossible. I was very angry! I actually ran away from home and hid in this park."

"What happened after that?"

"I fell asleep. I woke up because of loud noises. Turned out my parents asked everyone to help search for me because I didn't go home and it was very late in the night. They cried a lot and wouldn't stop hugging me once they found me."

 

Jongwoon smiled gently at the boy.

 

"I know that you must be pretty upset, Mister Rock, but I also understand how your parents feel now."

"Eomma... Appa..."

"Besides, you can always come to me if you ever get lonely. I don't mind playing with you!"

"Weirdo hyung..."

 

Kyuhyun began to cry again and Jongwoon let him be. He only patted the boy's head until he calmed down, before wiping his face with his handkerchief.

 

"Mister Rock, let's go home, alright?"

"Yes..."

 

Jongwoon dropped the rock into the boy's shirt pocket and got up. Then, he offered his hand to the sniffing boy. However, instead of taking his hand, Kyuhyun stared at him with puppy eyes and spread his arms wide. He snorted but took out his bag to carry it in front of him instead, before obediently kneeling down with his back at the boy. Then, he chuckled softly when he felt a weight on his back. After securing his arms under the small boy, he got up and started a journey back to their home. Apparently, he had won Kyuhyun's trust because the boy wouldn't stop nuzzling his neck or rubbing his cheek against his.

 

"Weirdo hyung?"

"It's Jongwoon hyung."

"Jongwoon hyung... do, do you think Mister Rock likes me...?"

"Why not? You're a good boy, right?"

"Then... will he marry me when I grow up?"

 

Jongwoon would have laughed his head off it wasn't for the boy on his back.

 

"Kid, I think it's too early for you."

"But I'm eight years old now!"

"And I'm twelve. I'm your hyung so listen to me. Right now, you should think about how to apologize to your parents for worrying them."

"If you say so, hyung..."

 

Kyuhyun murmured while sounding slightly whiny. So, Jongwoon sang a song to lighten up the boy's mood and it worked wonder. Kyuhyun didn't say a word on their way home and obediently apologized to his mother. While Kyuhyun's mother was petting his head and thanking him, Jongwoon noticed that Kyuhyun took the rock out to stare at it.

 

 

For some reason, Kyuhyun put it back in his pocket with a huge grin on his face instead of throwing it away.

 

***********************************

 

10 years later...

 

 

Ding-dong 

 

 

Jongwoon waited after ringing a doorbell. A moment later, the door was opened and a woman with a kind motherly smile welcomed him in.

 

"Good morning, auntie!"

"Good morning, Jongwoon-ah! I'm sorry that you have to wake up my sleepyhead boy every morning."

"It's fine, auntie. After all, Kyu is my cute little brother!"

 

After a short greeting with the older woman, Jongwoon headed to a room at the end of the hallway on the second floor. Stepping into the room, he sighed after seeing a certain person still sleeping soundly. He sat down on the bed and gently shook the sleepyhead, but got pulled onto the bed instead. However, he didn't flinch even a bit and casually put his head on the sleeping figure's chest. He also let a pair of sneaky arms holding him firmly as if there was no tomorrow, even though this happened every day that it basically became a routine for them.

 

"Alright, time's up. Wake up, Kyu, isn't today your first day at college?"

"But hyung..."

"No but. Be a good boy and get up, my baby Kyu."

"I told you to stop calling me that! I'm not a kid anymore... I'm even taller than you and can carry you around in my arms with ease..."

"Alright, big boy, get up and get ready. Auntie is waiting for us in the kitchen."

"Mmm, where's my good morning kiss?"

 

Jongwoon giggled when Kyuhyun kissed his cheek and returned it on Kyuhyun's cheek. The younger man always demanded for his affection since he was young and it didn't change at all even though Kyuhyun was a grown man now. He didn't mind that but sometimes Kyuhyun could be too spoiled, just like this time. He lightly slapped the younger man's shoulder after he refused to get up.

 

"Cho Kyuhyun, get up now or I won't smile at you for the entire day."

"Hyung—! Really? As if people haven't already talked and giggled behind your back, saying that I'm afraid of my future wife..."

"Hm? Did you say something?"

"Nothing..."

 

Kyuhyun sighed and eventually got up, though the younger man stole another kiss at Jongwoon's cheek before going.

.

.

.

"Then, we're leaving now, auntie."

"Love you, eomma, I can't wait to see what we'll have for dinner!"

"Both of you, take care!"

 

Jongwoon bowed at the older woman and left the Cho household, followed closely by Kyuhyun. The younger man jogged to his side and held his hand, and he could only chuckle at how cute the younger was. Despite being an adult now, Kyuhyun still wanted to hold his hand like when they were young!

 

"Kyu, are you still afraid of getting lost? You always hold my hand whenever you have a chance!"

"...You really are naive and oblivious, aren't you?"

"Huh?"

 

Kyuhyun pulled him to stop. The taller man stared at him with a serious glint in his brown eyes.

 

"Jongwoon hyung, I love you."

"I love you too, Kyu!"

 

Contrary to his expectation, Kyuhyun looked devasted rather than happy. The younger man sighed and picked up a stray rock from the ground, before putting it in his pocket.

 

"Adding another rock to your collection? I must say, Kyu, you have a really weird hobby."

"It's not like I want to do this..."

"What?"

"Nothing. Let's go, hyung."

 

Kyuhyun kissed his forehead before dragging him along to a bus stop.

 

************************************

 

Jongwoon had already graduated from college and took over the family cafe, but he still visited the college from time to time to help out at the drama club that he used to be a member. Today, too, he dropped by the drama club to greet his juniors. He didn't expect to see Kyuhyun here too.

 

"Oh, Kyu, you're a member of the drama club too?"

"Yes! I chose it without hesitation! I want to know what kind of a club my beloved hyung had spent his time in college participating in!"

 

Kyuhyun who looked so eager said while clinging to him like a baby koala. The rest of the members looked at them curiously but no one said a word. Everyone had already heard about Kyuhyun from him at least once, though it was their first time meeting the man in the story.

 

"Jongwoon hyung, you and Kyuhyun seem... really close...?"

"That's because—"

"Of course we are!" Kyuhyun cut him, "we're literally inseparable and super lovey-dovey~"

 

Kyuhyun said and pecked his cheek, earning a collective gasp from the witnesses. Some female member blushed and turned to squeal with their friends. Jongwoon could only sigh. He really had spoiled Kyuhyun too much... But he couldn't help it. Kyuhyun was just too cute! He shook his head in mild disbelief but still pecked Kyuhyun's cheek back, earning even louder squealing from the female juniors.

 

"Now, now, that's enough spoiling time for the day. Work hard in the club, Kyu. I have faith in you!"

"Jongwoon hyung..."

 

Kyuhyun spun him around to look at him in the eyes.

 

"Hyung, I love you."

 

Everyone in the club squealed and cheered loudly.

 

"I know, I love you too, my baby Kyu!"

 

Jongwoon beamed and petted the younger man's soft brown hair. For some reason, the excited cheering had died down and was replaced by a sigh instead. Even Kyuhyun also sighed exasperatedly. The younger man picked up a fake rock on the stage that was a prop and smiled dejectedly at the club president.

 

"Sunbae, can I take this one home? My collection of failure just grew larger..."

"Go ahead, dude, I feel bad for you."

"What are you guys talking about? Also, Kyu, did you just call your rock collection a failure? Why?"

"Who knows?"

 

Kyuhyun sighed again while pocketing the fake rock. The younger man kissed him on the cheek one last time before turning his full attention to the club activity. Jongwoon stayed behind to proudly watch his little brother and occasionally cheered him up, all the while the other members looked at him and shook their heads much to his confusion.

 

************************************

 

Every weekend, if he wasn't busy with the cafe, Jongwoon always spent time with Kyuhyun. They took turns choosing what they would do for the day and just enjoyed their time together. Today, however, he was very adamant to spend the weekend by cleaning Kyuhyun's room, especially at his rock collection shelf.

 

"Kyu, isn't collecting rock your hobby? Then you should take care of them more. At least don't let dust gather!"

"I have my kind-hearted hyung to do it for me, right?"

"Sigh, I shouldn't have spoiled you too much..."

 

Despite his complaint, Jongwoon's hands kept cleaning the rocks on the shelf one by one. Kyuhyun had already brushed the shelf and the sticker labels so the younger man was free now, and Kyuhyun spent his free time by hugging him from behind. From time to time, Jongwoon giggled or mewled quietly whenever Kyuhyun's nose and lips made contact with his nape and shoulder. He didn't mind the younger man's clingy behavior, as long as Kyuhyun didn't bite him again and leave a mark on his neck like that time he went to a mixer party.

 

"Thirteen years old at the beach... Ten years old at the playground... Sixteen years old at the zoo... Oh, is this Mister Rock from our first meeting? You still keep it!"

"Of course, it's very precious to me, after all."

 

Jongwoon almost moaned from the way Kyuhyun whispering against his nape. The warm breathing ghosting his skin made his heart flutter from being ticklish. He didn't tell Kyuhyun to stop though. He really loved being in Kyuhyun's embrace and the younger's clinginess was very adorable to him. He kept cleaning each rock while Kyuhyun nuzzled his neck until only one rock was left— a peculiar rock that was longer than his hand and perfectly fit his palm, sort of looking like a cucumber.

 

"What a weird rock. Kyu, where did you get this one again?"

"...My eighteenth birthday months ago, you know, when we went to Jeju together, just the two of us..."

"Ah! I remember it now! We were taking a stroll on the beach during the sunset. You picked it up and kept looking back and forth between the rock and me. Then, you suddenly blushed and ran away leaving me behind! That reminds me, why did you run away again?"

"...Can we not talk about it?"

"Alright? If it makes you uncomfortable, Kyu."

 

Jongwoon shrugged and focused on cleaning the rock. Holding it in one hand, he used a rag to rub it up and down to get rid of dust collecting on its surface. He dragged his hand down to the base before sliding up. He used his thumb to repeatedly rubbed the top of the rock in circles while his hand holding the rock grasped it firmer. His free thumb absentmindedly rubbed along the base...

 

Kyuhyun suddenly acted strange.

 

"Kyu? Your heart is beating abnormally fast. Are you alright?"

"Y-Yes! I'm just a little tired..."

"Tired? But you didn't do anything? And your breathing is warm and ragged. Did you catch a cold?"

"It's summer so it's nothing out of ordinary!"

 

Jongwoon frowned but obediently dropped the subject. He continued to clean the peculiar rock. There was a stubborn stain on the side and he was determined to get rid of it. So, he gripped the rock firmer and rubbed the rag along its length faster—

 

Something poked his back.

 

"Kyu, don't poke me! I need to fo—"

 

Kyuhyun had already dashed off to the door. Jongwoon heard a muffle "toilet" from the younger man before he disappeared. Shrugging, he continued to clean the rock as if nothing happened...

 

"Oh, so it's the rock pattern, not a stain. No wonder I couldn't scrub it off!"

 

Satisfied with the outcome, Jongwoon placed the peculiar and dust-free rock back on the shelf. Then, he slumped down on the bed and used Kyuhyun's overcoat that was lying around to cover himself. Kyuhyun didn't tidy up his laundry again! Jongwoon complained inwardly and inhaled a sweet smell of fabric softener mixed with Kyuhyun's scent, before dozing off. He woke up an hour later when his younger brother called him. He got up and came to face Kyuhyun who was staring fixedly at him. After the call, he decided to go home so Kyuhyun came to send him off at the front door.

 

"Hyung, are you really not going to sleep with me tonight? I even prepare games and movies..."

"Sorry, I promised to go to Jongjin-ah's faculty photo exhibition tomorrow so I can't stay up late. Good night, my baby Kyu."

 

Jongwoon bid farewell and kissed Kyuhyun on his cheek, and the younger stared at him in conflict.

 

"Jongwoon hyung... I really, truly, am in love with you..."

"I know! I love you to the moon and back too!"

"That's not—! Sigh, whatever..."

 

For some reason, Kyuhyun looked really sad that it broke Jongwoon's heart.

 

**************************

 

Ever since Kyuhyun became a member of the drama club, Jongwoon's college visit had increased to practically every day. He came to cheer the younger man who was chosen to play King Arthur in a classic story "the Sword in the Stone". He had to admit, Kyuhyun was really talented in acting. He had a great memory and charming charisma. Whenever the younger man said his lines, the impact he had on the audience was very astounding. He wasn't the only one who thought so because literally everyone was gathering around Kyuhyun to praise him, especially the female members. Jongwoon frowned when he saw a girl who played Guinevere clinging on Kyuhyun's arm while smiling sweetly at him. He didn't know why but the sight irritated him, though he still maintained a kind-senior facade on the exterior. He was annoyed and he didn't feel like staying anymore. So, he left, though not before leaving a message to Kyuhyun's friend.

 

"Ryeowook-ah, can you tell Kyuhyun that I have to run an errand so I leave first?"

"No problem, hyung, but why don't you wait for the break time and tell him yourself?"

 

Jongwoon glanced at the stage. Kyuhyun was still busy chatting with the club members surrounding him. Plus, the younger man made no attempt to shake off the female lead. He turned away from the stage and smiled at the junior.

 

"He seems busy so I don't want to interrupt him. Good bye, Ryeowook-ah."

 

He quietly left the club and headed outside. It was raining heavily but he didn't have any umbrella with him. Kyuhyun was the one who carried every necessary item between them. He could go back and fetch it, but he might run into Kyuhyun and that girl. Plus, if he took the umbrella, then Kyuhyun wouldn't have one to use and he didn't want the younger to catch a cold. So, he braved through the rain and ran all the way to the front gate to call a taxi. Then, he got stuck in a traffic for almost an hour while being wet from head to toe. When he arrived home, he only had enough energy to change into pajamas and immediately fell asleep.

 

*******************************

 

Jongwoon woke up with a mild headache, probably from the rain yesterday. Since it was only a minor inconvenience, he didn't bother to take a medicine and went on with his day as usual. He went to Kyuhyun's house and woke the younger man up (and gave Kyuhyun an extra peck at his cheek for going home first yesterday). They left home and headed to the bus stop together, before going their separate ways. He worked at his cafe as usual but the headache slowly worsened as the day progressed. Despite that, he still didn't take any medicine because it was just a headache. Then, he went to the drama club to cheer on Kyuhyun. The day of the performance was getting closer so they were very serious about the rehearsal. However, Jongwoon couldn't bring himself to enjoy the show because the girl who played Guinevere kept sticking to Kyuhyun's side like a glue. He didn't remember that Guinevere was being this touchy with King Arthur in the original novel, or maybe his headache was so bad that he couldn't recall it. His mood was already bad enough from the throbbing pain in his skull but Kyuhyun and the girl had to make it worse for him.

 

"Sunbae, are you alright? Your face seems kinda pale..."

 

Jongwoon looked up at the speaker, a junior by the name of Lee Hyukjae, and gave a weak smile.

 

"I just feel slightly under the weather but I'll be fine. Thanks for your concern, Hyukjae-ah."

"No problem hyung! I mean, I'm just a newly joined member so I can't help them much, but at least I can keep you company."

 

Jongwoon chuckled fondly at the considerate junior, though his smile got wiped off as soon as he saw Guinevere hugging Kyuhyun. Was there even such a scene in the story? He sighed softly while massaging the bridge of his nose, already feeling the headache creeping up to his eyes.

 

"Hyukjae-ah, do you know when the actual rehearsal will start? They've been running around for a while now."

"I guess probably in ten minutes at most? They're checking the props and costumes one last time."

"Hm, better than nothing, I guess. Hyukjae-ah, can you do me a favor?"

"Yes! What do you want me to do?"

 

Jongwoon put his head on the younger man's shoulder and closed his eyes.

 

"I'll rest my eyes a bit. Can you wake me up when the rehearsal starts?"

"O-Of course, hyung..."

 

For some reason, Hyukjae sounded like someone was pointing a gun at him but he was too tired to give it a thought.

.

.

.

Jongwoon woke up by himself because the headache bothered his sleep. He began to think that he really should take a medicine or go home to get some rest. However, the rehearsal happened to start at that moment so he decided to wait a bit longer. It couldn't get any worse anyway. While watching the show, he kept his head on Hyukjae's shoulder because it was comfy. The kind-hearted junior constantly mumbled something under his breath but his head was spinning too much to catch it. During the rehearsal, Kyuhyun always glanced at their direction while speaking his lines. At one point during a scene where Arthur was rallying his people, Kyuhyun looked at him in the eyes and spoke his lines; loud and clear.

 

"My perseverance shall not be defeated by any obstacles. For all the resistance the stone wall may pose, my blade shall  and penetrate it until I reach the deepest part, come out as the champion, and make the castle mine."

 

The drama club members suddenly gasped or coughed, some blushing slightly. Unlike his juniors, Jongwoon was frowning as he repeated Kyuhyun's line in his head. An ad-lib? He didn't remember that line in the story so Kyuhyun probably came up with it at the spot. If his head wasn't pounding as if a rock music festival took place in his head right now, he would love to ponder what that line meant. Seeing no reaction from him, Kyuhyun looked disappointed but quickly moved on to the next scene. However, Jongwoon had reached his limit as he literally saw two Kyuhyun on the stage. He abruptly stood up, believing that he could still make it to the bus stop and called a taxi. Unfortunately, his body didn't cooperate with him. His legs gave in and he fell on top of Hyukjae who sat beside him.

 

 

Their lips touched.

 

 

"Fu— Ah, Hyukjae-ah, I'm sor—"

"Jongwoon hyung."

 

Kyuhyun showed up right beside him in a second and extracted him from Hyukjae. However, the younger man soon frowned and stared at his hand on his forearm, before glaring at him.

 

"Hyung, you're burning. Why don't you tell me that you're not feeling well?"

"I-I'll be fine, Kyu, it's just a headache, believe me!"

 

Jongwoon quickly tried to calm the younger man. From his experiences, Kyuhyun would definitely throw a tantrum and abandon his responsibility just to get him home, and he couldn't let it happen.

 

"I'm fine, really, don't let me get in the way—"

"Ryeowook," Kyuhyun ignored him and called his friend, "can you take Jongwoon hyung to the infirmary? I'll pick him up after the rehearsal."

"S-Sure thing!"

"... You're not going to take me home?"

"Not now, I've got things to do."

 

Kyuhyun caressed his face and kissed his forehead.

 

"Get some rest while you're at it, hyung. I'll work hard and go get you. Then, we'll go home together."

 

Jongwoon could only nod dumbfoundedly and let Ryeowook support him to the infirmary. Since when did Kyuhyun grow up to be this mature? If it was Kyuhyun that he knew, the younger would have acted childishly and only cared about keeping his hyung to himself. But today's Kyuhyun was totally different... Today's Kyuhyun was...

 

 

Ba-dump ba-dump ba-dump 

 

 

Jongwoon wondered if the cold really got him bad because his heart wouldn't stop pumping crazily as he thought of the mature Kyuhyun whom he wasn't familiar with...

.

.

.

Jongwoon took a medicine and immediately fell asleep once he arrived at the infirmary. When Kyuhyun woke him up an hour later, the headache was still there but it had lessened. He still felt really sleepy and didn't want to get up yet. So, Kyuhyun gave him a piggyback ride home. He couldn't help but notice that the crybaby whom he used to give a piggyback had grown up so much. How the table had turned. He never thought the day when he was the one who got carried would come. Jongwoon thought to himself as he put his head on the broad shoulder. In the past, Kyuhyun was so little and his back was so small. Now, however, the younger man's back was wide and reliable. Those thin arms that could barely lift a bucket of water were now securing safely under his thighs. Jongwoon glanced at the surrounding. Although they had walked on this road for years, the view today was unfamiliar to him. He was looking at it from a higher angle. Sometimes he forgot that Kyuhyun was taller than him now. In his eyes, Kyuhyun was still that small brat who followed him everywhere. However, it seemed like he couldn't view Kyuhyun as a kid anymore...

 

"...You really have grown up," Jongwoon murmured.

"Hm? Hyung, did you say something?"

"I was wondering why you don't call a cab?"

"And expose you to air-con? Not a chance."

"But you have to carry me all the way home..."

"Pfft, look who's talking. Jongwoon hyung, you are so light that I barely feel like carrying anything! Plus, how many times have I told you that I'm an adult now! Carrying you is a piece of cake."

 

Jongwoon hummed in response while rubbing his cheek against the wide shoulder. The more he thought about Kyuhyun's reliable back, the crazier his heartbeat had become. The alien sensation in his chest confused him. He had never felt this way about Kyuhyun before. It made him want to run away from Kyuhyun as far as he could. But at the same time, it also made him want to hold Kyuhyun tight so that no one could take the younger away from him, for example, that Guinevere girl—

 

Oh no, Jongwoon got startled by his own realization, this feeling, don't tell me... 

 

"Hyung, you're awfully quiet. Is the headache that bad? Should I take you to a hospital instead?"

"Kyu, I love you."

"Sigh, I know, hyung. It's not like you didn't tell me that every— ! Hyung, what are you—"

 

Jongwoon grabbed Kyuhyun's face and forced the younger to turn to him. Then, with his hands firmly holding the man's face, he tackled his lips against the younger man's. He pressed his lips on Kyuhyun's less warm ones for a while before shifting back. Due to the headache, he couldn't quite tell what kind of face Kyuhyun was making but he shrugged it off. He had something urgent he must tell Kyuhyun, right here, right now.

 

"Kyu-ah, I love you."

 

As soon as he said those words, Jongwoon felt like a weight on his shoulder was lifted. His body and his heart felt so light like a feather. He also felt so warm and comfortable like a cat basking in the morning sun. It felt so good that he wanted to take a nap. So, he closed his eyes and let go of his strained mind. He felt like he heard Kyuhyun who sounded excited and disbelief saying something but he was too exhausted to think about it.

 

 

So, he let the exhaustion take him.

 

*******************************

 

When Jongwoon came to, he was back in his own room and a wall clock told him that it was two in the morning now. So, he was out for almost ten hours. At least the annoying headache had subsided a lot now. Turning to lie on his side, he noticed a shadow laying on the floor beside his bed. After taking a look, he realized that the shadow was none other than Kyuhyun who was sleeping on a spare futon. The younger man probably stayed a night to look after him. Jongwoon couldn't help but smile happily to himself. If it was him from the day before, he would have just touched Kyuhyun's philtrum once and went back to sleep. Now that he had realized his feelings for Kyuhyun, however, he wouldn't let this golden opportunity go! He carefully rolled out of the bed onto the futon and snuggled to the younger, before putting his arms around the younger man's torso and placing his head on the younger man's chest. Although he was very quiet, his actions still stirred and woke up Kyuhyun.

 

"Mm, Jongwoon hyung...? What's wrong? Do you need something?"

"I just want to tell you that I love you, Kyu-ah."

"...Does your fever come back? Do you even know what you're saying—"

 

Jongwoon grasped Kyuhyun's nape and brought him down for a kiss. He left a short sweet kiss on the warm lips and leaned back to smile endearingly at the shocked younger man.

 

"Kyu-ah, I love you, not as a brother but as a man."

"Jongwoon hyung..." Kyuhyun suddenly squeezed him against his chest, "did you really mean it? Your confession? I'll give you ten seconds to take back your words but if you don't do it, I'll never let you go no matter what you say."

"I meant every word I said," he kissed the broad chest where the beating heart was, "I really do love you though I just realized it. I'm being honest and straightforward because I want to make up for the past years we had lost due to my stupidity..."

"Hyung, you aren't stupid. You're just incredibly naive, though your naivety do stem from the fact that you adore me very much."

"Hm, you have to see where I'm coming from though. I know you since you were a small kid who cried every time you didn't get what you wanted. It's really hard to see you as an adult."

"Sigh, I know, that's why I only keep confessing and do nothing else. I want you to come to love me more than brothers by yourself. That reminds me, what changed?"

"You were really cool yesterday, Kyu-ah," Jongwoon pecked the younger man's chin, "you didn't throw a tantrum or abandon your responsibility. Plus, when you carried me back home, that was when I feel like you really have grown up, Kyu-ah."

"Soooo," Kyuhyun grinned like a fool, "am I your boyfriend now?"

"Of course, unless you still want to be my dongsaeng—"

 

Kyuhyun literally shut him up by a kiss and he happily allowed it. The younger man seemed hesitant at first so he encouraged him by gently his bottom lip. It worked wonder. Kyuhyun immediately became eager and deepened the kiss. The way the younger man treated his lips felt as if Kyuhyun wanted to devour him alive and it made Jongwoon shiver. He just realized how much Kyuhyun desired him. That's why he didn't stop the younger when an eager tongue invaded his mouth. He moaned and tried to keep up with the heated kiss, but he was dominated completely. So, he let Kyuhyun pour out his pent up feelings via crashed lips and tangled tongues, until both of them were at their last breath so they had to take a break.

 

"I love you so much, Jongwoon hyung. Thanks God this day finally comes. I can throw those stupid rocks away now."

 

Kyuhyun who looked genuinely happy said while pecking his lips. Jongwoon moaned at the touch and frowned at the younger man's words.

 

"Why would you throw your collection away?"

"They're my collection, yes, but not in a way that you think," Kyuhyun sighed, "those rocks are a collection of my failed confession."

"They're what...?"

"I picked up a rock every time I confessed my feelings but it didn't reach you, hyung."

"Wait, what, but— I mean, the number of rocks on your shelf..."

 

Jongwoon went quiet. He started to recall those "I love you" that Kyuhyun had been saying to him since forever. So, they were all an honest confession?

 

"So, you've been confessing to me since you were ten? Did you seriously expect me to say yes?"

Kyuhyun chuckled sheepishly, "I know I was being silly but you had to understand me, hyung! It was around that time that you started to receive love letters from boys and girls. Obviously, I gotta do something! I don't want you to leave me..."

"Silly brat," Jongwoon giggled and kissed Kyuhyun, "why would I leave you when I'm already at where I belong— right in your arms, Kyu-ah."

"Jongwoon hyung—!" Kyuhyun squeezed him again, "I really, really, realllllly love you!"

"And I love you too, Kyu-ah. By the way, are you really going to throw those rocks away? I actually kind of like them..."

"Yep, I don't need them anymore. Most importantly, hyung, you don't have to feel so bad because I have something way cooler and harder than those rocks to give you..."

 

Jongwoon blushed mad crimson at Kyuhyun's hoarse whisper. Now that he stopped seeing Kyuhyun as a kid, it finally caught up to him that the younger man had been throwing innuendos at him non stop ever since he turned eighteen, that speech during the rehearsal, for example.

 

"erted brat!! Did you forget that I'm still sick!!?"

 

Jongwoon scolded his young boyfriend but his tone softened at the end of the sentence, seeing Kyuhyun's saddened-puppy look. He coughed awkwardly and looked away, before uttering the most absurd thing he had ever said in his life.

 

"Well, I can't let you do me now for obvious reasons but I'm up to helping you with my hands... If you're okay with— Kyu-ah? Where are you going?"

"Toilet," Kyuhyun replied after abruptly standing up, "no way in hell I'd be satisfied with just that so I had better take care of this myself before I crossed the line."

 

Watching Kyuhyun running out of the room, Jongwoon was amused and flustered at the same time at his sweet and chivalrous boyfriend. He couldn't wait for this stupid cold to go away! Jongwoon mused to himself while waiting for the younger man to come back. After a very long while, refreshed but unsatisfied Kyuhyun came back and lay down beside him. (Jongwoon teased his boyfriend for taking so long but he got played back by Kyuhyun's knowing smirk, saying that he knew he probably liked it that way.) After a few more teasing and short kisses, the newly-united couple finally settled down to sleep. Kyuhyun kissed him one last time and wished him a sweet dream, before falling asleep while hugging him close to himself. Jongwoon snuggled up and closed his eyes, but he found sleep eluding him.

 

He couldn't stop thinking of Kyuhyun's "rock".

 

Jongwoon blushed in shame realizing that he might be a bigger ert than his boyfriend. He sighed irritatedly, knowing that they couldn't do anything but wait until he was fully recovered. As for tonight...

 

 

Oh boy, here came a sleepless night...

 

***********************************

 

Author's note:

 

Whether Jongwoon continued to try to sleep or woke up Kyuhyun with an excuse of "warming me up against the cold" and did the deed, I'll leave it to you guys' imagination ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)  And Yep, Jongwoon is a closet ert here xD

Personally, I really like and growing up-together-turned-lover trope (only if both are adults, ofc). The main conflict with this type of stories is that one of them only saw the other as a kid. So, in order for romance to start, I think the younger side should prove that they're no longer kids like what Kyu did here~

Also, I'm currently working on a chaptered fic for Halloween! For those who follow me on Twitter probably already knew it but for those who didn't, I'm working on Frankenstein au kyusung! Courtesy to Kyuhyun's latest Frankenstein musical~ I'll try to finish it for posting in October so please look forward to it! Take care and love you! <3