Baton (1/3)

Objects of Love

"What!!? You got scammed and lost the four million won fund for this project!!?"

"I'm sorry, Kyuhyun! That person looks respectful and has experience in organizing an orchestra concert so I thought we can get everything done by just hiring him alone!"

 

Kyuhyun slapped his forehead and slumped on the chair while Donghae kept bowing and apologizing. Hyukjae stood right by his boyfriend's side and kept bowing his head too. The three of them were public civil officers. Their boss, the head of the city's affairs department, decided to hold an orchestra concert for the city foundation day and assigned them to take care of everything. He was in charge of finding a conductor while the HyukHae couple was in charge of organizing the band. However, Donghae got scammed and now they had no funds for the big project.

 

"What should we do, Kyuhyun!!? Hae-ah could get in trouble or, worse of all, arrested for embezzlement of the city's tax!"

"...We must hold the concert no matter what. Without the fund."

"How...? Without money, who would play in the band for us? This is my fault... I'm sorry..."

"It's the scammer's fault, not you. Donghae, you can play trumpet, right?"

"Nothing too complicated, but, yes..."

"And you, Hyukjae, you used to learn how to play clarinet, right?"

"Just the basic..."

"It's better than nothing. I'll be the concertmaster. The rest, well, we have to recruit a volunteer..."

"W-What about the conductor? How will we pay them...? I doubt any conductor would work for free..."

 

He looked at Hyukjae.

 

"Actually... I already contacted our conductor. I'll pick him up from the airport in the evening."

"What!!?" Donghae jumped, "but we're broke now!!"

"Don't worry, I'll come up with something... You guys just focus on recruiting the band members."

.

.

.

.

"I did say that but how am I going to convince him...?"

 

Kyuhyun groaned as he swept his gaze over the arrival gate. He was looking for their conductor, Kim Jongwoon, the most famous Korean conductor whose talents were recognized worldwide. He was very lucky to be able to contact and hire such an outstanding person for their city's auspicious occasion. However, they had zero funds left so he had to come up with a plan to make Kim Jongwoon stay, or else the three of them could get in a mess... Kyuhyun looked at the picture on the phone. Maestro Kim was a slim-built man with flawless skin, as white as the first snow of winter, which was a stark contrast to his jet-black hair, as dark as a new moon night. With fine features and a graceful demeanor, the conductor was a very attractive man. His heart even skipped a beat when he first saw the black-haired man's picture on the internet. He sighed after averting his eyes from the chubby cheeks on the screen to look back at the gate. Now, what excuses should he use...?

 

"I don't appreciate having to look for you even though you'll need my talent, Mister Cho."

 

A magnetic voice spooked him from behind. He spun around and came to face the famous conductor. Although Maestro Kim was only an inch or two shorter than him, his lithe frame made him look smaller than him. Kyuhyun gasped at the stunning man before him. The picture absolutely didn't do this person justice! Even when he frowned, Kim Jongwoon still looked gorgeous.

 

"Excuse me? Does the city send a disabled person to be my caretaker? Are you muted or deaf? Or are you just an inept fool who can't even pick me up at the right gate?"

 

Alright, he took all of his words back. That plump lips might look kissable but only poison came out of them!

 

"My apologies," Kyuhyun forced a polite smile, "but what does the maestro mean by a wrong gate? Isn't this gate number four?"

"The arrival gate for my flight was changed to number thirteen instead. Not only are you incapable of reading, but you also can't even recognize your flaw. I have no idea that the qualifications of your job would be this low to non-existent. I feel pity for the citizens whose valuable tax is wasted on you."

 

Kyuhyun could feel a vein in his temples throbbing at the heated insult. If they weren't really in need of a conductor, he would have kicked this nasty guy back to where he came from. Sadly, he could only imagine it while bowing his head to apologize. However, the shorter man ignored him and walked ahead without him. When he didn't follow him, Kim Jongwoon turned around to raise a brow.

 

"Do I have to give you an order every time? Are you unable to think with your brain? Even my pet dogs can do better than you."

 

As if to agree with their owner, the two Pomeranians in the cages on the cart barked in response. Kyuhyun had to count to 100 in his head to prevent himself from strangling the black-hearted beauty. While he was cursing in his head, outwardly, he bowed and quickly pushed the cart after the shorter man. On the way to the parking lot, he got his revenge by silently appreciating the flat bottom and imagining himself spanking it.

.

.

.

"Maestro Kim, may I ask you something?"

"You probably can't comprehend the meaning of no so go ahead."

"...The truth is, the fund for this project including your payment got scammed so we couldn't pay you now. However, this orchestra concert is very important to the city and us. So, we'd like you to understand us. Could you do this job for free? Please..."

"Turn the wheel."

"What?"

"I don't do charity. If you can't pay me then there won't be any hiring. Drop me off at the airport and I'll go back to Austria tonight. Don't worry, I won't charge you for the ticket."

 

Kyuhyun looked at the conductor through a rearview mirror in disbelief. The black-haired man didn't even stop to consider it and immediately turned him down. In fact, Kim Jongwoon was more interested in talking with his pets in the cages than listening to him. However, failure wasn't an option for him. If he couldn't make the conductor stay then there wouldn't be any future for him and his friends. Gripping the wheel tighter, he braced himself and pressed the accelerator pedal harder.

 

"What are you doing!!? You're breaking the speed limit!!"

"I'm fated to doom either way so why don't I drag you down with me?"

"Are you crazy!!? Stop!! You're scaring Kkoming and Melo!!"

"Oh? Do you care about your pets that much? I feel bad for them but let's go to hell together."

"Stop!!! Alright!! I'll do it!! I'll conduct your concert for free so stop the car!! You almost hit another car just now!"

"I won't accept an empty promise. Here, sign the contract."

"I will!! Just, look at the road and slow down already!!"

 

Kyuhyun watched the famous conductor hurriedly sign the contract through the mirror and smirked when Kim Jongwoon showed the paper with his signature while glaring daggers at him. He stopped pressing on the pedal and took the paper to check. Satisfied, he threw the contract on the passenger seat and kept humming all the way to the house where the maestro would stay, all the while enjoying the hateful glare he got from the man in the back seat. Arriving at the house, he carried the man's luggage into the building while still smirking. Kim Jongwoon never once stopped looking at him with contempt

 

"You're the worst scum I've ever met on earth, Cho Kyuhyun."

"Nice to meet you too, Maestro Kim Jongwoon~"

 

 

Yeah, what a memorable first meeting they had.

 

************************

 

Because the duo wasn't done with recruiting people yet, Kyuhyun had to buy time for them. He seized the chance to discuss the concert's details with the conductor. He went to the house at ten in the morning and rang the bell. When no one answered it, he got inside the place with a spare key but couldn't find the foul-mouthed beauty on the first floor. So, he headed upstairs and barged into the bedroom.

 

"Where is your manner? Has no one ever taught you to knock before entering?"

 

He was immediately greeted with insults. However, Kyuhyun didn't retort because he was busy being awestruck with the scene before his eyes— Kim Jongwoon who just got out of a bath was wearing only a loose towel around his thin waist. A few droplets of water trickled down his slender neck to the white chest with two rosy buds. It slid down the flat tummy before disappearing beneath the towel.

 

"So, you're both scum and a ert? Tell me, which one is your main occupation?"

"A-Ahem," Kyuhyun coughed awkwardly, "I'm here to discuss the concert's details with you."

"I won't work until I have my coffee and breakfast. Two medium toasts with butter, one serving of scrambled egg, and a cup of black coffee. Oh, don't forget to feed Kkoming and Melo too."

"Understood," Kyuhyun replied through gritted teeth.

 

Instead of leaving, he stayed rooted in place, unable to take his eyes off the gorgeous body. In the end, the conductor couldn't stand being gawked at and snarled.

 

"Do I have to call the police or will you let me dress in peace?"

"H-Huh? Oh, sorry, leaving now!"

 

Kyuhyun scrambled out of the bedroom but not before taking another look at the chest. He then ran down the stairs when that small hand picked up a phone.

.

.

.

After breakfast, they moved to the living room and he presented the details of the concert to the conductor. Kim Jongwoon quickly skimmed through the file and asked a few questions about the location and the date. So far so good. The maestro had no problem with the arrangement. He told the black-haired man truthfully that the audition wasn't done yet so they couldn't start practicing. After receiving a mocking look from the other man, Kyuhyun moved on to the next topic which was the playlist of the concert. They had already discussed it via email before Kim Jongwoon arrived in Korea. So, he only had to present the music scores to the conductor. The heartless beauty didn't even glance at the paper for more than ten seconds when he tore everything into pieces and threw it into the air.

 

"What are you doing!!? Did you know that I spent a whole day printing and binding them!!?"

"I won't allow a sloppily-made score in an orchestra under my conduct."

"The hell!!? That was bull and you know it!"

"You're free to believe that but my policy won't change. I want you to remake all the scores before tomorrow morning."

"Have you lost your mind!!? No! I'm not going to do it!"

"Fine by me," Jongwoon shrugged, "but I doubt you can find a new conductor who would be willing to work with a bunch of amateurs that you gather, for free, might I add."

 

The conductor ignored his cursed glare and started playing with his dogs instead. Kyuhyun had to take many, many deep breaths to calm down. Extremely unhappy, he headed to a computer and started printing new copies of the scores.

 

"Oh, I almost forgot, you can only take a break when it's time to prepare my lunch and dinner or toilet break, but you can't eat unless you're done with the task."

"What am I? Your slave?"

"You finally know your place. Congratulations. Maybe you aren't as unredeemable as I thought."

 

Kyuhyun almost ruined the printer by pressing the button too hard.

.

.

.

Kyuhyun persisted out of sheer stubbornness but he fell asleep during the task. Waking up at two in the morning, he groaned and stretched his aching body that had been hovering above a table for hours. Then, his stomach growled and reminded him that he had yet to eat anything after breakfast. He was about to screw the order and looked for something to eat in the kitchen when he noticed a plate of sandwiches and a cup of something with a sweet smell. It looked like a normal tuna salad sandwich to him. He sniffed the beverage next and realized that it was a honey lemon tea, very good for getting refreshed. Moreover, he noticed that there was a blanket covering his shoulders. Kyuhyun chuckled and started eating. The sandwiches and the tea were very tasty and they warmed up both his stomach and chest at the same time. He didn't expect Kim Jongwoon to actually be a softie underneath that thorny appearance.

.

.

.

"Master! The scores are all done!"

"Who are you calling a master?"

"You? I mean, didn't you say it yourself that I'm your slave?"

"Creep. Stay away from me! Just give me the scores."

 

Kyuhyun handed the scores and grinned at the shorter man.

 

"... I'll check if you did it properly. If you have that much free time to grin like a fool then go clean the house. You can't eat lunch unless I'm sure that every corner in the house is spotless!"

"Understood!"

 

Kyuhyun replied lively because he knew that Kim Jongwoon wouldn't leave him starving. And he was spot on. Although he wasn't done with cleaning yet, he was still called to eat lunch because the man "didn't want to waste the leftovers."

 

**************************************

 

Two more days had passed but the audition still wasn't done yet. Kyuhyun had already discussed every possible detail except the band members with the conductor and he ran out of topics to talk about. So, the sadistic beauty made him wash the bedding and sheet instead, with his hands, again, saying that the weather was perfect for doing laundry. Although his blood pressure still rose every time he listened to the insults from the conductor, he didn't mind spending time with Kim Jongwoon now. So, here he was, crouching under the bright sun while washing the thick bedding in a basin. He clumsily scrubbed the fabric with his hands while the maestro watched him from the comfort of a beach chair and an umbrella, sipping on his watermelon juice (made by him) and mocking his washing skill from time to time. Kyuhyun learned to just ignore whatever the shorter man said and focused on getting the task done. The blazing sun made him sweat and he started to feel dizzy. Damn it, he should have worn a hat—

 

A shade suddenly blocked him from the sun. Glancing up, he saw the dark-haired conductor standing behind him while holding an umbrella. Kim Jongwoon avoided his eyes and continued to drink the watermelon juice nonchalantly, but his small hand made sure that the shade properly shielded him from the sun. Kyuhyun couldn't help but beam.

 

"Master, are you worried about me?"

"What? Aren't you an imaginative person? I'm just inspecting your task to make sure that you didn't stupidly ruin such expensive bedding."

"Is that so? Sighhhhh, I'm so thirsty! I feel like I'm fainting soon from dehydration..."

"..."

 

A glass of watermelon juice was shoved in his face.

 

"Master?"

"This watermelon juice is so bland that I feel sorry for my taste buds. You're the one who made it so take care of it."

 

Kyuhyun grinned widely and drank the refreshing beverage. Contrary to what the older man said, the juice was very sweet that it made his heart lurch in his chest.

.

.

.

By the time he was done with the laundry, his hands were all red and covered in blisters. Kyuhyun kept wincing while drying the bedding in the sun. Ouch. It actually hurt. Hopefully, it wouldn't hinder him much while practicing...

 

"We're going out. Prepare the car."

"Eh? Master, where are we going?"

"The nearest clinic. Dealing with you makes me have a headache."

 

Maestro Kim said while pinching the bridge of his nose and he quickly got the car. However, when they arrived at the clinic, the shorter man said that his headache was gone and pushed him into an examination room instead. In the end, they came home with cream for his blistered hands. Kim Jongwoon was about to retire to his room but he asked him to stay, using applying the cream as an excuse. Kyuhyun's heart fluffed up when the conductor sighed and sat down opposite him. Then, his heart almost imploded as he watched the endearing fingers carefully rub the cool cream on his palm.

 

"You're thirty-seven this year, right? So, ten years older than me, can I call you hyung?"

"I don't remember allowing you to call me that intimately. Where is your respect for a senior?"

"Thank you! Jongwoon hyung, you're really kind."

 

The dainty hand stopped for a second.

 

"... Something is definitely wrong with your underdeveloped brain. That, or you must be a masochist."

"Or I'm just a very observant man who sees through all of your tough acts, Jongwoon hyung."

 

Kyuhyun noticed that the older man's ears turned slightly redder at the tip but didn't point it out.

 

******************************************

 

While Hyukjae and Donghae were busy recruiting people, Kyuhyun was busy pampering the sharp-tongued conductor. Although he already knew that the older man was all bark and no bite, those insults didn't lessen their burning degree at all. Since they had no details left to discuss, he took the maestro to sightsee the city instead. He wanted to think that it was a date but Jongwoon hyung treated him like a servant more than a dating partner. He couldn't tell what the black-haired man was thinking underneath his icy interior. One minute the conductor let him in but immediately pushed him away in the next second, almost as if he purposefully created a wall to block off other people. Kyuhyun tried everything to get to know the conductor more but to no avail. He only got to call the other man "hyung" and nothing else. Before long, the audition was done a week later and the practice officially began. Because they couldn't pay, only amateurs volunteered to play for them. They had all sorts of people, from a middle-schooler to a housewife, from a retired musician to a butcher. Maestro Kim frowned profoundly after he read through all the profiles. After that, the conductor had every member play in front of him. However, most members were told to stop soon after a few notes. Only he and the retired-musician grandpa were able to play for more than ten seconds. Jongwoon hyung refused to look at any of them after the demonstration. The maestro closed his eyes and sighed loudly while massaging his temple. His free hand repeatedly tapped the table with a silver baton.

 

"Does this band have a name yet?"

"Oh, yes!!" Donghae smiled, "we name it Mira—"

"I know, let me give it a proper name. Garbage dump. There, no other perfect name than this! Look at all the garbage and waste of the society that gather here! I'm amazed at how ignorant trash can be, not knowing where it belongs. Do you truly believe that you have it in you to play in a sacred orchestra?"

 

The conductor pointed at each member with the baton.

 

"You, you, you, you, you, and you, are worse than recyclable trash, no redeeming qualities, none whatsoever. Apparently, you have no brain too."

 

A few people began to sniffle and ran out of the hall.

 

"Hm, maybe not you, grandpa, you're at least recyclable, but still garbage. Anyway, I don't think trash like you people have enough ability to stand on the stage in front of the entire city. That's why it's better to accept the truth and live with the reality that you're worthless."

 

More people left the practice room despite Donghae's begging to stay. Hyukjae glared at him as if to ask why he hired this guy but Kyuhyun only looked at the conductor in disbelief. The older man insulted him all the time but never to this extent. Jongwoon hyung looked at the remaining people while still tapping the baton on the table. Heavy silence weighted the room down for almost a century before the conductor spoke up again.

 

"The rest of you, if you want to prove that you can upgrade yourself to be at least recyclable trash, practice your part and don't stop until I tell you so. This entire week, we'll only do this until your playing sounds better than a cat scratching a blackboard."

 

With that said, the maestro left the room, leaving them confused and upset. While his friends tried to calm down the remaining volunteers, Kyuhyun chased after the conductor. He saw the older man standing just outside the hall, leaning against the wall while rubbing his forehead with a troubled look.

 

"Hyung! What are you doing? Everyone is here out of their goodwill. They know that we can't pay them but they still volunteer to help us. Why do you have to be so mean to them and crush their dreams like that!!?"

"Stop shouting, brat, you're making my head throbbing more."

"No, I won't! Jongwoon hyung, I thought that you're actually a kind person but I see now that I was wrong. How could you trample on people's self-esteem like that? You're very selfish and—"

 

The shorter man suddenly grabbed his collar and slammed him against the wall. His usual cold eyes were now blazing bright in fury.

 

"I hate lowering my standard but I hate doing things half-heartedly more. Whether you like it or not, I'm the conductor of this sorry- band now and it's my duty to whip them into an acceptable shape no matter the methods. Participating in an orchestra concert isn't a child's play. If they can't stand just a few criticisms then they'll never survive the actual pressure during practice."

 

While he was stunned to the core, the black-haired maestro let go of the collar and stepped back. Kyuhyun's heart instantly dropped to the ground when he saw the disappointment in those sharp black eyes.

 

"I thought you're different from other people but I see now that I misjudged you, Cho Kyuhyun."

"Jongwoon hyung, I—"

"I'm going to take a walk nearby to get rid of my headache. Get back inside and practice like the rest of the band. Don't you think that you're better than them so you can slack off. Recyclable trash is still trash."

 

The older man didn't stay to listen to his apology and strode away. Kyuhyun thought of what the conductor said and felt guilty about it. Jongwoon hyung was being purposefully harsh to chase away those who thought they could take it easy. Although his method was unnecessarily mean, it was better than risking the concert being ruined by their unprofessionalism. Yet he accused the conductor without pondering about the reason. Now, he couldn't shake that disappointed gaze out of his head... No. He slapped his cheeks. Now wasn't the time to think about that. He must practice hard and show his hyung that he took the orchestra seriously. With his purpose renewed, Kyuhyun stepped back into the room. Most members still complained about the cruel conductor, but some people like the retired grandpa and the middle-schooler did start practicing by themselves already. He stood in front of everyone and clapped to get their attention.

 

"Alright, let's practice! We still have time before the foundation day. If we work hard then there's nothing we can't do!"

"Kyuhyun! Do you really want us to work with that mean conductor?"

"I agree with Hyuk-ah! Plus, we don't even know if he's good or—"

 

The door was suddenly slammed open and Maestro Kim stepped in. He ignored the awkward atmosphere in the room and sat down on a couch in a corner, closing his eyes and crossing his arms over his chest. While the members looked at each other nervously, Kyuhyun took the lead as a concertmaster and encouraged everyone to practice. Slowly, the members started to practice their parts quietly while the feared conductor sat still like a marble statue. An hour later, Jongwoon hyung's eyes snapped open and he pointed the baton at Donghae.

 

"You, trumpet guy,"

"I-I'm Lee Donghae, Teacher!"

"Fake Sea, the eleventh note of the first movement just now, you played B double flat instead of B flat. Fix it. And you, clarinet guy,"

"Lee Hyukjae, Teacher!"

"Anchovy, did you eat something before the practice?"

"Y-Yes, I ate a kimchi rice ball. How—"

"Check the reed. There's a sesame seed stuck in it hence the improper flow of air."

"You, cello, you pressed the strings too hard."

"You, flute, starting today, you must exercise breathing to increase your lung capacity."

"You, timpani, this isn't a wartime so no need to hit it so loud as if your life depends on it."

 

One by one, Maestro Kim skillfully pointed out their flaws. The members meekly followed the advice and their faces soon lit up in awe when they significantly improved. However, the conductor ignored the admired gazes and turned to him, the last member. Kyuhyun straightened his back nervously when the older man's baton pointed at him.

 

"You, brat, you're the worst of all. Are you really a concertmaster? You lack both the spirit and passion of a violinist. I can tell from your posture alone that playing violin is only a passing hobby long abandoned that you just picked it up out of necessity. You're not to touch the violin again until you thoroughly understand what it means to play violin with your heart."

"But, hyung, how am I going to practice if I can't touch it?"

"Only you, brat, practice with an air violin."

 

Kyuhyun felt his face heating up as he put down his violin and pretended to hold one instead. He looked awkward and hilarious and he knew it. The members' giggle and his friends' laughter further embarrassed him but he endured it. He focused on fixing his posture under the hawk-liked gaze of the beautiful conductor. After a while, Jongwoon hyung sighed in irritation and strode toward him. He flinched and his heart began to skip a beat when the dainty hands touched his arms and shoulders, fixing his posture for him. Kyuhyun stared at the conductor intensely, unable to take his eyes off the older man.

 

"Did you really know how to play violin? Even a kindergarten kid can do better than you."

"..."

"Cho Kyuhyun, focus!"

"Ouch!"

 

Jongwoon hyung hit his head with the baton when he didn't respond. He was about to protest but stopped when he saw a glint of a smirk in the mesmerizing eyes. However, it disappeared soon in just a blink, so briefly that he doubted his eyes. The conductor hit him again when he still didn't respond, before going back to the couch. Kyuhyun wondered if he imagined it or not. Jongwoon hyung's mood seemed like it had improved a great deal and his posture had relaxed a bit. Now, the black-haired maestro looked like a contented kitten basking in the sun...

 

 

Kyuhyun quickly continued practicing when the conductor met his eyes and caught him staring red-handed.

 

***********************************

 

After a few months, the emergency band had shown a potential under the strict maestro's guidance. The members slowly got used to their conductor's harsh words and brutal training. Although Maestro Kim was very sharp-tongued, he only commented on their skills and never anything else. Plus, he did give praise once in a while when someone deserved it. Kyuhyun was still salty to this day how his hyung praised Donghae before him (the fact that his friend kept rubbing it in his face didn't help too). Then, after literally everyone in the band was praised except him, Kyuhyun realized that the older man intentionally left him out. He didn't know why. But he liked to think that he was a special case. Besides, even if Jongwoon hyung wouldn't praise him, he could tell from the conductor's actions that he was treated differently from other members— how his hyung liked to hit his head with his baton, how his hyung insulted him more than everyone, how his hyung never patted his head (LEE DONGHAE), or how his hyung made sure to lock his bedroom every night. (He did move into the house with an ulterior motive but wasn't that too much? It's not like he'll break into the bedroom and watch his hyung sleep or what!!)

 

It was as if Jongwoon hyung tried to push him away.

 

Kyuhyun felt that every time he took one step closer to his hyung, the older man would take three steps away from him. Nevertheless, he never stopped pursuing the conductor and wore his heart on his sleeve. By now, everyone knew that he had a hopeless crush on the beautiful maestro, including the maestro himself. He knew that his hyung regarded music higher than everything else (that and his career which was at risk) so he always worked hard to improve his skills and didn't let his feelings get in the way. After all, there was only one week left before the concert day.

.

.

.

One day, they were practicing as usual when an uninvited guest showed up.

 

 

"Cho Kyuhyun! Lee Hyukjae! Lee Donghae! Is it true that the fund was scammed and you were only able to recruit amateurs for the concert!!?"

 

Their boss, the head of the city's affairs department, barged into the hall during practice and began cursing their ancestors. The three of them immediately tensed up. They had been working hard to hide this news from their boss else they would be kicked out, or worse, thrown into jail for embezzlement. Donghae quickly stood up and tried to use his charm to win over the fuming superior.

 

"Boss, it's true that I made a mistake and lost the fund, but your project will be fine! Although everyone here isn't a pro, we all work hard and have improved a lot under Teacher Kim's guidance! No need to worry!"

"I'd never doubt Maestro Kim but it's you lot that I can't put my mind at ease! You're just a bunch of failures that grouped together because no one else would accept you! A kid, old man, housewife, and a ing butcher!!? Did you really think that these worthless people can save you!!? Lee Donghae, you still have the nerve to sweet talk when everything is your fault!! That's it, you're fired!!"

"Boss, that's going a bit overboard, don't you think?"

 

Their boss tried to punch Donghae but got shoved back by Hyukjae. Kyuhyun came to stand in front of Donghae to protect his friend while Hyukjae tried to comfort his frightened boyfriend. However, that seemed to only anger the boss more.

 

"Going overboard!!? Actively trying to ruin my career by hiring garbage who call themselves a musician is what I call going overboard!! Cho Kyuhyun, don't act so high and mighty when you're just here thanks to your pretty face! And you guys! Just because you lot got a chance to be tutored by the renowned conductor doesn't mean that your self-worth has improved!! I bet that most if not all of you probably didn't graduate from a music school—"

"Who let an untrained dog into the room? So noisy."

 

The entire room fell into dead silence with only one sentence from the conductor. The officer looked like he couldn't believe what he just heard and gasped hilariously.

 

"M-Maestro Kim, did you just say...?"

"I'm pretty sure that dogs are not allowed here. Then again, dogs are illiterate so I'm not surprised that you can't read the sign."

"You!! Do you think you're better than me just because you were born with a silver spoon—"

"Actually, I was dirt-poor up until I won a competition. Oh, I didn't graduate from a music school either. Does that mean I'm garbage too?"

"What the—!!?"

"If there's anyone here who's garbage then it's definitely you. Only scums use violence with their subordinate. And you're a coward scum who only goes after those who can't fight you back. Even a dog has more honor than you."

"You!! How dare you!!?"

 

Kyuhyun's heart stopped beating when the furious boss lunged a punch at his hyung. However, Jongwoon hyung merely side-stepped to avoid the attack. The conductor then grasped the old man's wrist and twisted it behind his back, before tackling him behind the knee, forcing the man to kneel down. They all stared in awe at the maestro while he gripped the captured wrist tighter, causing the rude old man to cry out in pain.

 

"Most importantly, how dare you insult them!!? Kyuhyun is my concertmaster and everyone here is my orchestra! I'm the only one allowed to call them trash or bully them! Don't you ever lay a finger on my people or I'll show you what else I've learned from living abroad alone besides conducting."

 

The conductor scoffed and shoved the older man. The boss cursed angrily but didn't dare to fight back. He ran out of the room amidst everyone's cheering. Donghae and Hyukjae laughed loudly and tried to hug their savior, but they stopped after seeing the maestro's icy look.

 

"All of you're pathetic." The conductor scoffed, "how can you cheer and laugh when you should be angry? Where's your pride? Do you expect me to get angry and cover you every time someone looks down on you? Learn how to stand on your feet because I won't be with you forever. Don't get comfy just because I've been lenient with you!"

"Jongwoon hyung," Kyuhyun smiled, "thank you, we know that you care about us."

"Who cares about trash like you lot? If you have that much time to spout nonsense then add another extra hour to the practice!"

 

Jongwoon hyung ordered and stomped into the office, leaving them chuckling or smiling; because they all saw that the conductor was flustered. The maestro did care a lot about them despite his harsh words. Kyuhyun happily ran after the older man and stepped into the office. He saw the black-haired man leaning on the table while pinching the bridge of his nose. Hearing him approaching, his hyung looked up and glared at him like a fluffed-up angry kitten.

 

"What are you doing here? Just because you've talents in music and can master violin in months doesn't mean that you're excused from—"

"I know it, you're actually a kind-hearted person, Jongwoon hyung."

 

Kyuhyun pulled the older man into his embrace and literally crushed him. His hyung's body stiffened like a stone in his arms as if he had no idea how to react. So, he wisely seized the chance to wrap the slim waist and nuzzled against the soft hair. It was a one-in-a-million chance so he wanted to savor this moment as long as possible before his hyung hit him with the baton or something along that line. However, much to his shock, Jongwoon hyung actually lifted his arms and held him back. He could feel those small hands clinging to him and it made his heart go crazy.

 

"Am I dreaming now or what? Are you an imposter? What happened to my Jongwoon hyung!!?"

"Did I hit you in the head too much that your IQ dropped?"

"Hyung! You know very well that I've every right to be suspicious of this!!"

"Pfft...."

 

Kyuhyun almost died from shock again when he heard faint laughter from the shorter man in his arms. He quickly but gently pushed his hyung away so he could take a look at the stunning smile. However, what greeted him was the usual aloof expression. He immediately whined.

 

"Hyung! I wanna see your smile!"

"Why? There's no reason to."

"Then I just have to create one, right! Easy! Jongwoon hyung, welcome to Cho Kyuhyun's talent show! Now, I'll cover a famous girl group's hit song!"

 

Kyuhyun then danced and sang a pop song by a girl group, attempting to make his hyung smile. However, the smaller man only raised a brow at him while shame quickly ate him alive. Eventually, he couldn't stand his own ridiculous action and crouched down to hide his face in his knees, all the while groaning in embarrassment. Gosh, now Jongwoon hyung probably thought that he was disgusting—

 

"Pfft... Ha... Haha.. Hahahahahaha! Oh my God, what are you doing? You look really silly and stupid!!"

 

The unique laughter made him look up and Kyuhyun stopped breathing at the sight before his eyes— Jongwoon hyung was laughing loudly while holding his stomach. His gorgeous eyes and pale pink lips were both painted in a genuine smile, so beautiful that he temporarily lost the ability to speak. The older man brushed laughing tears off the corner of his eyes and smirked at him.

 

"You really are a weirdo, Kyuhyun."

 

 

At that moment, Kyuhyun had completely fallen into an abyss called love.

 

*****************************************

 

The concert day finally arrived. The members were both nervous and excited at the same time as they waited at backstage for their cue. Kyuhyun excused himself from the bandmates to see the conductor who had a personal waiting room. He knocked on the door but got no response. He stepped into a quiet room and looked around, but couldn't find the maestro anywhere. There was only a silver baton lying on the table, the one that his hyung used all the time to conduct (and to hit him). He smiled and picked it up to carefully inspect it. Before meeting the older man, he thought that conductors were a funny occupation, waving a baton around like a silly kid pretending to use magic. However, once he got to witness a professional conductor with his own eyes, he realized that they were a real wizard who gave life to music. During a rehearsal, Jongwoon hyung was so captivating, guiding the band to produce wonderful music. His eyes were permanently glued to the thin figure whose endearing small hands moved flawlessly like a river stream. His hyung's baton was like a magic wand that showed him the unimaginable world. He even began to take an interest in conducting after watching his hyung. He wanted to be like his hyung, shining so brilliantly on the podium. Closing his eyes, Kyuhyun recalled how the maestro waved the baton and imitated it from his memories.

 

"Careful there, brat. I treasure my baton as much as my life. If something happened to it, even your entire year of salary couldn't cover it."

 

Kyuhyun almost dropped the item after getting caught off guard. He turned around and saw the black-haired conductor leaning against the door while crossing arms over his chest. Jongwoon hyung straightened up and approached him.

 

"Hyung, where were you?"

"I went to a nearby convenience store and bought a painkiller. Do you want to be a conductor?"

"A headache again?" Kyuhyun frowned, "hyung, let's go to a hospital together after the concert."

"It's nothing. I told you, didn't I? Dealing with you guys gives me a headache. Plus, I've been pushing myself over my limit these past few days because the concert is near. So, do you want to be a conductor?"

"Sigh, you should take better care of yourself! And, I don't know too, but, seeing you does inspire me..."

"If you want to learn, I can teach you. I'm looking for a protégé anyway."

"Really? That's awesome! Maybe not now though, because I want to see you conduct more. You shine so beautifully while conducting. Hyung, did you know that?"

 

Kyuhyun smiled and returned the baton to its owner. However, the shorter man only stared at him blankly without taking the item back.

 

"Hyung? What's wrong? Did I upset you somehow?"

 

He asked worriedly when a few minutes had passed but his hyung still made no move to take the baton back, only staring at him without saying anything.

 

"Jongwoon hyung, what happened—"

"... It's almost time for the concert now. Go back to your waiting room and prepare. See you on the stage, brat."

 

He was about to inquire again but the maestro suddenly snatched the baton back. Then, Jongwoon hyung pushed him out of the room and closed the door in his face. Kyuhyun had a feeling that his hyung hid something from him but he had no idea what. Plus, his hyung was a very stubborn person. If he didn't want to say it then nothing could make him. Sighing, he went back to his place to prepare himself for the important concert.

.

.

.

Kyuhyun, along with his bandmates, nervously got on the stage and sat down at their positions amidst a loud clap from the audience. It was finally time for the orchestra. His future depended on the result of this concert. He took a few deep breaths to calm down his erratic heartbeat. Then, another round of applause echoed within the vast hall when the maestro came up the stage. Just looking at the slender figure on the podium was enough to erase any anxiety he had just now. Kyuhyun smiled and got up from his seat. As a concertmaster, he had to shake hands with the conductor before the concert. His hyung looked so gorgeous in a long-sleeved white shirt adorned with a frilly button strip and cuffs that paired very well with a black suit and black bowtie. He extended his hand and smiled, but soon frowned slightly when he spotted something strange in his hyung's eyes— fear?

 

"It's alright, hyung, we'll make it. I'm always here with you."

 

He initiated the handshake and grasped the smaller hand firmly while looking straight into the dark eyes. Jongwoon hyung widened his eyes slightly before nodding. He suspected that his hyung still felt a bit nervous because he seemed reluctant to let go of their connected hands, keeping them in contact until only the tip of their fingers barely brushed. Although he was worried about the older man, he had to go back to his seat. Kyuhyun sat down and watched the conductor open the score. The silver baton rose up and they readied their instrument. The black-haired man glanced in his direction and he nodded back, conveying his support through his gaze. Jongwoon hyung then looked ahead and waved the baton.

 

 

Thus, the concert began.

.

.

.

Kyuhyun couldn't tell how much time had passed because his heart was pounding crazily. They successfully played one song after another under Maestro Kim's conduct. The entire hall fell into a sacred silence as they were captivated by the wonderful orchestra. During the first song, Kyuhyun kept catching his hyung glancing in his direction and he always nodded back while smiling encouragingly. Although he didn't expect the famous conductor to be nervous at a small concert like this, he didn't mind showing his support. After the first song ended, however, Jongwoon hyung rarely looked at him again and he couldn't help feeling lonely. Nevertheless, he was way overjoyed watching the dazzling conductor in action. His hyung already looked stunning during the rehearsals but he managed to shine even brighter on an actual day. In fact, Jongwoon hyung shone so brightly that he wanted to be the same. He wanted to be like his hyung and stood under the same light...

 

He wanted to be a conductor.

 

Kyuhyun thought to himself while his hands still played the songs with his violin. When he felt like his heart was about to explode, the last note was executed and Jongwoon hyung harshly lowered the baton and his left hand. Only silence enveloped them for a long time before the conductor stepped down from the podium. The maestro offered his small hand to him and the spell was broken. He grinned happily and took the older man's soft hand. Then, they bowed to the audience who showered them with thunderous applause. The band members behind them copied them and bowed too. Kyuhyun could see from the corner of his eyes that everyone was smiling and laughing at each other. Some members (like Donghae) even shed a tear at their grand success. None of them was a professional musician. They were just ordinary people who loved music. Yet, under the famous conductor's guidance, they were able to move the heart of the entire city and achieve an unbelievable result. Kyuhyun was so happy that he could faint and he wanted to share this overwhelming happiness with his hyung. However, he didn't expect Jongwoon hyung to already look at him when he turned back from the members. The conductor smiled at him and intertwined their fingers.

 

"Kyuhyun, thank you."

 

 

At that magical moment, Kyuhyun only heard his hyung's sweet voice and his own heartbeat despite the loud applause and cheering in the hall.

 

***********************************

 

Author's note:

Heavily inspired by + based on my favorite K-drama~ If anyone knows what it is, plz refrain from mentioning the name in the comment section! I wanna keep it a secret and reveal it at the end of the story.

This is definitely my longest story in this series  xD   So lengthy that I almost considered just making it a new title but I started it as Objects of Love so it stayed here. There are 3 parts in total and update is on every Sunday as usual.

I hope you enjoy whipped puppy hard-working Kyuhyun and jerk-ish but actually a softie Jongwoon and their story that definitely didn't involve tears  ;)

Take care and love you!  <3

 

PS. I want to address that although our Yesung has changed his real name, I'll stick to Jongwoon in my fics for consistency~