Books

Objects of Love

Jongwoon loved books.

 

He always visited a public library every Saturday, reading books after books that told stories of places he never visited and people didn't know, of fantasy that he couldn't even begin to imagine, of tales that he never heard before, and more. He really loved books. From the very first step he took into the public library, his eyes were immediately drawn to the lines of shelves full of books.

 

Until one Saturday afternoon...

 

He visited the public library as usual but his eyes were drawn to something else— a young man who was sitting alone with a laptop. His brown hair was pulled up and tied revealing his forehead. His sharp eyes behind black-framed glasses focused intensely on the screen. The young man seemed to be around early twenty which made him a junior. His heart suddenly raced faster and he couldn't take his eyes off the younger man. He stood still in place stupidly, doing nothing but staring at the man. Then, as if knowing that someone was staring at him, the young man looked up and smiled at him.

 

He fell in love at first sight.

 

****************************************

 

He asked the librarian whom he was close to and found out some information about his crush: Cho Kyuhyun, twenty-two, studied in Business Faculty at Seoul College, recently frequented the library to research for his thesis, and always came here alone. He hesitated to approach the younger man because he seemed to prefer privacy, always sitting alone away from people. Besides, Jongwoon had a feeling that he would look like a creepy stalker if he did approach Kyuhyun. So, he chose the less creepy choice of watching the college student from far away. With a book in his hands as a disguise, he was happy enough just watching the younger man. He didn't dare to hope for more.

 

On one Saturday afternoon, Kyuhyun laid a pile of books in front of him, successfully blocking Jongwoon from staring.

 

Jongwoon pretended to look at the book in his hands while his head reeled in panic. He couldn't help but suspect that Kyuhyun might find out about his watching habit, so he intentionally made a wall to stop him from staring. Just as he was about to give up on this crush, the younger man got up and headed towards him. He quickly looked down in fear of getting caught but the young man just walked past his table to a nearby shelf. When he stared at the younger man cluelessly, Kyuhyun suddenly looked at him and smiled.

 

Jongwoon raised the book in his hands up to hide his burning cheeks.

 

*******************************

 

Jongwoon was pretty sure that Kyuhyun had no idea he was watched because the younger man always smiled at him when he took books from shelves near him. So, he decided to continue his watching habit. Since he couldn't look at the young man from the front, he moved to a table on the right side instead. It was harder to watch Kyuhyun from this angle because who else turned away from a table while reading? Despite that, Jongwoon managed and continued to stare at Kyuhyun's handsome side profile. There were many times he thought he got caught because the younger man strode towards him, only to walk past him to a nearby shelf instead. Whenever Kyuhyun took a book from a shelf, the college student always smiled at him and, after a few attempts, Jongwoon was able to smile back shyly.

 

Then, on the next Saturday afternoon, Kyuhyun had a pile of books in front of him and on his right side.

 

Jongwoon once again panicked thinking that he got caught staring. But when Kyuhyun smiled at him when he came to take a book from a shelf behind his table, he knew that he was just being paranoid. Since the front and the right side were unavailable, he moved to sit at a table on the left side instead. He realized that changing sides didn't matter much because Kyuhyun looked dashingly handsome no matter which angles he looked at. So, he kept watching his crush and even dared to smile at the younger man first.

 

He didn't expect Kyuhyun to wink back.

 

Jongwoon only realized after hearing Kyuhyun's chuckle that he was holding the book he used to hide his face upside down.

 

*******************************************

 

After two months of secretly watching the college student whom he had a crush on, Jongwoon developed some immunity to Kyuhyun's radiant smiles and killing winks. His heart still flipped and thrashed around in his chest when he saw one, but he didn't lose his composure anymore. In fact, he had improved so much to the point that he could smile back confidently now. Although Kyuhyun had yet to know his name, Jongwoon still considered it a leap of improvement because he didn't look like a fool around the younger man anymore. Or so he thought until he messed up one day and accidentally bit his bottom lip while trying to smile. He whined quietly while repeatedly his bruised lip to lessen the pain.

 

For some reason, Kyuhyun didn't smile at him this time when he came to take a book. Instead, the younger man hurried back to his table and dropped another pile of books on the left side.

 

Getting used to it, Jongwoon immediately got up to move to another table. That was when he realized that Kyuhyun had completely stacked a pile of books around himself like a wall. No matter which tables Jongwoon sat in, he couldn't see the younger man. Well, every table except for one, the one where Kyuhyun was sitting. That's right, the only way for him to keep watching Kyuhyun was sitting at the same table opposite the younger man. It took Jongwoon a long while to make a decision but he eventually took the risk. He took his book (a cover) and cautiously approached the college student, just in case that Kyuhyun didn't want him here.

 

"Hello... is the seat opposite you available?"

"The public library is everyone's property so go ahead. Sit wherever you want."

 

Jongwoon nodded and sat down. He raised the book up to hide his face and peeked at the younger man. For some reason, Kyuhyun seemed to be in a really good mood today.

 

******************************************

 

Jongwoon couldn't find any words to describe how happy he was for deciding to approach Kyuhyun. He finally got to introduce himself to the younger man and got to know him more. He had no problem chatting with Kyuhyun too, no more awkward fidgeting or stuttering. Kyuhyun was very kind and mature even though he was four years younger. The college student didn't mind listening to him ramble on about his favorite movies or basketball matches, even though Kyuhyun himself wasn't interested in them. They had gotten a lot closer that he thought meeting once a week wasn't enough for him. When he told the younger man so, Kyuhyun just smiled warmly at him, not saying anything. Then, two days later, Kyuhyun came to his cafe. The younger man told him that it was a coincidence, that his acquaintance told him about this place so he decided to check it out. Jongwoon couldn't care less about the details. He was just overjoyed that he didn't have to wait for Saturday to meet Kyuhyun. For some reason, Kyuhyun didn't seem as happy as him. The college student always frowned when he saw customers smiling at him.

 

"Hyung, did that businessman just ask for your number?"

"Yep, I didn't give him though. I told him that he has to call the cafe's number if he wants to order a delivery, not mine."

"........."

 

The next Saturday, Kyuhyun stacked an even higher pile of books in front of him. Jongwoon couldn't see his face at all even though he sat opposite the younger man. He was afraid that he might accidentally upset Kyuhyun but he had no idea when or how. However, the younger man still smiled and chatted with him, so it probably didn't relate to him. Maybe Kyuhyun just had a bad morning. With that thought in mind, Jongwoon carefully moved to sit on the same bench with the college student but kept his distance. Elbow on the table, he propped his chin in his palm and stared at the younger man. He didn't know why but Kyuhyun didn't seem as upset as before. He watched Kyuhyun reading a book and typing into the laptop, watched Kyuhyun stretching his arms and yawning, watched Kyuhyun resting his head on his arms on the table, watched Kyuhyun taking a nap... He didn't know how much time had passed. Right now, surrounded by books, the world only consisted of him and Kyuhyun...

 

Kyuhyun suddenly woke up and their eyes met.

 

"M'ning, hyung."

 

Kyuhyun smiled at him, lips and eyes.

 

Jongwoon knocked over a pile of books and made a loud noise. His face was redder than a tomato as he apologized to people around them while Kyuhyun chuckled fondly.

 

**************************************** 

 

Before long, four months had passed since Jongwoon met Kyuhyun. They were close enough to consider friends. They met every Saturday at the public library and Kyuhyun often dropped by at his cafe after the classes. However, they had yet to meet at any other place besides those two. Jongwoon wanted to ask the younger man out to a theater, park, mall, gallery, and to many places, just the two of them. However, he couldn't bring himself to do so because he didn't know what Kyuhyun thought of him. He knew that Kyuhyun liked him. But as a friend, hyung, or acquaintance, he didn't know. For that reason, he decided to not be greedy and just keep watching the younger man from his place, at the edge of the bench where Kyuhyun was sitting...

 

"Hyung, my thesis is about to finish now. My prof even said that it's the best one he has seen in a decade."

"Really? Congrats! I know you can do it, Kyuhyun!'

 

Jongwoon hugged Kyuhyun out of habit. He always congratulated his younger brother and friends with a hug. However, he forgot that it was Kyuhyun whom he was congratulating now, not his brother or friends. When he realized what he was doing, he quickly stepped away and apologized to the younger man.

 

"Sorry! I often do that to my brother and friends so I kinda forgot myself..."

"It's fine, hyung, no need to apologize."

 

Although Kyuhyun did say that, Jongwoon had a feeling that the younger was actually unhappy about it.

.

.

.

.

On one Saturday afternoon, Kyuhyun had increased a pile of books on the table. Now, there were towers of books scattering everywhere on the table and even on the bench. The only available space was a seat beside Kyuhyun, so close to the younger man that their shoulders and knees would definitely touch. Jongwoon was hesitant to sit down. Although they had gotten a lot closer in the past months, he wasn't sure if his heart was ready for such a close distance. What if he did something weird and scared off Kyuhyun because he was stupidly flustered?

 

"Hyung, aren't you going to sit down?"

"Huh? Oh, yes, I will."

 

Now that Kyuhyun called him, he had no choice but sat down at that seat beside the younger man. Jongwoon tried his best to sit still to not disturb his companion who was working. He even forwent his watching habit today and just looked at the book in his hands. However, he couldn't focus on its content because he was too conscious of the warmth from the man beside him. Too close! If he shifted just a bit then he could lean on Kyuhyun...

 

Kyuhyun suddenly leaned on his shoulder.

 

Jongwoon almost jumped but stopped himself just in time. He sat even more perfectly still to make sure that the younger man rested comfortably. Then, he blushed and tensed up significantly when Kyuhyun held his hand. The college student rubbed his thumb on the back of his hand while whispering softly to him.

 

"Hyung, relax."

"I am! I mean, I'm totally relaxed now!"

"You're a horrible liar, hyung," Kyuhyun chuckled, "why don't you read something to calm down? I suggest that book on your right. You'll love it."

"Oh, will do."

 

Jongwoon used his free hand to pick up the mentioned book. It was a textbook about the history of a stock market that he doubted he would understand. Nevertheless, he turned pages and began reading. Although he understood almost nothing, he kept reading until he came across a page with a bookmark— bookmarks.

 

'The Tao of Pooh and Harmony'

 

It was the tickets for a seminar on one of the books that he loved: the Tao of Pooh. He just complained to Kyuhyun on the phone last Saturday that he couldn't find a ticket even though he really wanted to attend it. He didn't expect Kyuhyun to still remember it and even found the tickets for him...

 

"You're free tomorrow, right, hyung?"

 

Jongwoon squeezed the larger hand as a silent thank you.

 

"Of course!"

 

*****************************************

 

The fact that the first place they met (outside of the public library and his cafe) was the seminar of his favorite book made today even more special to Jongwoon. He was very excited that the only time he didn't say anything was during the seminar. Apart from that, he talked all the time— on the subway, while walking, after lunch, and even right now when they stopped by a book store to pick up Kyuhyun's pre-order book.

 

"—Pooh is really the best! People who only watch the animated series misunderstand him as a fool glutton whose head is filled with nothing but honey. Well, it's true that Pooh loves honey but do you know what he loves more?"

"His friends?"

"Exactly! Pooh cares a great deal for his friends. Moreover, he always views the world in a positive light and lives his life to the fullest. Sometimes I really envy him."

"It seems like you really like Pooh."

"Yep! It's the first picture book I read so it has a special place in my heart."

"Wow, I think I'm jealous of our honey bear friend now."

"Eh? Why?"

 

Kyuhyun looked at him.

 

"It's wonderful to be loved, isn't it?"

"!!?"

 

Jongwoon turned red in a second. Did... Kyuhyun just say what he thought Kyuhyun was saying...? He gathered the courage to search for clues on the handsome face but the younger man had already turned his attention to a bookshelf. Thinking of Kyuhyun's words made Jongwoon have hope and he dared to take the risk.

 

"Well, I love books in general, maybe a little bit more for Pooh, but, umm, I think I might have found something else I love more than books now..."

 

That instantly got the college student's attention. Kyuhyun shifted his gaze from the shelf to Jongwoon. The younger man's smile was almost too lethal as he stepped closer to him until his back touched the shelf behind him.

 

"Really? And what might that can be?"

"Well... umm..."

 

Jongwoon got tongue-tied. His brain kept repeating the word "You" but his lips refused to move. However, Kyuhyun didn't look even the slightest upset or annoyed. If anything, the gleam in those brown eyes suggested that the younger man enjoyed this situation far too much for his heart to handle. When that chiseled face moved closer, Jongwoon's heart finally had had enough of it and he shut his eyes closed in an attempt to prevent a heart attack. He kept closing his eyes for a while but nothing happened...

 

"I found the book I was looking for."

 

Jongwoon slowly opened his eyes and found out that Kyuhyun had already stepped back with a book in his hand. It was really thick and tall that it could easily hide both of their heads once opened. He was relieved and disappointed at the same time. He was also embarrassed, very much so. Really, he should learn how to make a poker face...

 

"Hyung."

"Y-Yes?"

Kyuhyun raised the book, "wanna see what it is about?"

"Oh, why not?"

 

He took the heavy book and flipped through pages. Its content was about economic studies and whatnot, and he understood nothing written down on the paper.

 

"It's really fun to read, isn't it?"

"Umm... Kyuhyun, I think your definition of fun is different from mine..."

Kyuhyun sighed, "hyung, take a closer look and you'll get it."

 

Jongwoon held the book closer to his face but he still understood nothing.

 

"I don't think it helps, Kyuhyun."

"That's because you didn't do it correctly."

 

Kyuhyun came to stand beside him and helped hold the book. So, the opened book was now covering both of them.

 

"See? This line here, isn't it funny?"

"What? The impact of the Great Depression? How is this fu—"

 

 

Chu.

 

 

Kyuhyun, out of nowhere, leaned in and kissed him. For a short while, Jongwoon didn't even realize that he was kissed, not until he saw his reflection in the gentle brown eyes, so, so close to him that he easily saw how red he was.

 

"Jongwoon hyung, I love you. Will you go out with me and be mine?"

 

Jongwoon dropped the book but Kyuhyun caught it.

 

"I can take that as a yes, right, hyung?"

 

When he didn't say anything, just nodding happily, Kyuhyun smiled in genuine joy and kissed him again; and Jongwoon realized that, yes, he really did find something he loved more than books now.

 

***************************************************

 

Author's note:

The COVID situation seems to get worse in some countries. I can only hope that everything will get better and return to normal soon. I really miss the time when we can go wherever we want and just have fun with friends :(   No matter where you are, I hope that you're fine and safe! Take care, guys!