Hand Mirror

Objects of Love

"Sigh, why am I so good-looking and beautiful? This is a crime that I didn't mean to commit but alas! My beauty is simply out of this world!"

 

Kyuhyun pretended not to hear anything.

 

"Sooooo?" The black-haired young man poked his arm but Kyuhyun continued to pretend to be deaf, "Kyuhyun, don't you think that I'm cute?"

"No," Kyuhyun answered without hesitation.

"Ehhh? Beautiful then? Handsome? Gorgeous?"

"No to all," Kyuhyun once again replied without hesitation.

"You have no eyes for appreciating beautiful things! Fine! It's no use asking a nerd like you anyway!"

 

The black-haired man pouted at him and turned back to face the whiteboard. Kyuhyun sighed tiredly while massaging his temples. Why? Of all the seats in the classroom, why did he have to be assigned to the one behind Kim Jongwoon? The most annoying and egotistic student in the entire high school? He mourned his misfortune while wondering where the hell the teacher was. He got tired of hearing Jongwoon admiring his own face while checking his reflection in a hand mirror. Jongwoon always did that whenever their teachers weren't presented, taking out his hand mirror and looking at it non-stop. He wouldn't have any problem if his classmate did all of that quietly. However, Jongwoon ALWAYS asked him for his opinion regarding his "unmatched beauty" and it was so annoying. He just couldn't get it. Jongwoon obviously knew that he only cared about study and gaming, so why did Jongwoon bother asking his opinion in the first place?

 

 

Their eyes accidentally met in the mirror when Kyuhyun glanced up.

 

 

Kyuhyun frowned when Jongwoon immediately looked down and pretended that nothing happened. The tips of his ears were also a bit red despite the air-con literally blew cold wind at their seats. Kyuhyun had seen this scene so many times that he already knew what would happen next.

 

 

Jongwoon gingerly raised his hand mirror up and looked at it, but quickly put it down when he saw Kyuhyun glaring at him from the reflection.

 

 

Yep, as he expected. Typical Kim Jongwoon and his weird behaviors. One minute his classmate was arrogantly admiring his beauty, and the next minute he couldn't even look at the hand mirror. That wasn't his only weird behavior. Despite excelling in every subject and came second in the high school exam (obviously, he ranked first), Jongwoon somehow real bad at math. For that reason, they met every weekend at a cafe or library where Kyuhyun would help tutoring Jongwoon. The weirdest part of Jongwoon was, during their tutor session, his classmate never boasted about his look or took out his hand mirror (although Jongwoon still occasionally asked him if he is cute or not and pouted when he was ignored). To put it simply, Kim Jongwoon was a walking contradiction that his genius brain couldn't solve, not that he cared about it anyway. He didn't want Jongwoon's attention on him more than he already had.

 

"Kyuhyun... am I really not cute?"

 

Speaking of the devil, Jongwoon once again turned around in his seat and bothered him with the same old question.

 

"I don't get it, Jongwoon, why did you care about my opinion so much? What will you gain asking me that?"

"What will you lose then? Why can't you just admit that I'm cute?"

"Fine! You're really super-duper mega ultimate cute! There, satisfied?"

 

He thought that Jongwoon would finally leave him alone. He didn't expect his classmate to look at him with a sad puppy expression and it strangely bothered him a great deal, even more so when those beautiful dark eyes lost the cheerful light that he liked.

 

"Kyuhyun... you're stupid!"

"What? Hey, where are you going? Class is about to start soon!"

 

He snatched Jongwoon's smaller hand and held it tightly so that the shorter man wouldn't get up and run away. For some reason, Jongwoon didn't resist him at all and even intertwined their fingers together while beaming. They kept holding hands until their teacher arrived. His classmate looked so sad that they had to let go of their hands and it made him sad too, although he didn't know why.

 

***********************************************

 

Sunday...

 

 

"Kyuhyun, good morning!"

"You are here earlier than the appointed time again?"

"Don't get me wrong! I-I just want to get better at math and get rid of this one blemish in my otherwise flawless academic record!"

"I haven't said anything yet..."

 

Jongwoon immediately turned beetroot red and looked down in embarrassment. Kyuhyun sat down beside his classmate and frowned when the shorter man flinched. Not only that but Jongwoon also scooted away from him as if he couldn't bear being near Kyuhyun. Annoyed, Kyuhyun put his hand on that slim waist and pulled his classmate closer until their bodies touched. This time, Jongwoon turned into a ripe tomato plus a stone statue. The smaller man barely moved in the taller man's arm while Kyuhyun took out textbooks as if nothing happened.

 

"K-Kyuhyun..."

"What? Why don't you take your textbook out? How can we study then?"

"But your arm..."

"I need an armrest so just ignore it. Besides, we do this every time so how come it still bothers you?"

 

Nodding with a bright red face, Jongwoon took his textbook out and they began their tutor session. Kyuhyun taught and solved some example problems for his classmate first. Then, he let Jongwoon do the problems himself while he kept a close eye on him. Well, he was supposed to keep his eyes on the math problem but his classmate was doing just fine solving one problem after another, so he turned his attention to the black-haired man instead. He swept his gaze over Jongwoon's face starting from beautiful dark eyes to chubby cheeks and rosy lips, and, for some unexplainable reason, he couldn't take his eyes off that plump lips...

 

Jongwoon suddenly looked up and their eyes met.

 

Again, Jongwoon blushed so brightly that it almost blinded his eyes. The shorter man snapped his head to the other side to avoid his eyes and Kyuhyun snorted at the sight. For someone who was obsessed with his look, Jongwoon was really shy and always got flustered when he tried to take a better look! He smirked and kept watching his classmate throughout the rest of their tutor session, although he couldn't help but wonder why Jongwoon never once took out his hand mirror.

 

*************************************************

 

Many days later...

 

 

"I don't get it."

 

The infirmary teacher glanced up from the paper he was working on.

 

"What is it that you don't get, Kyuhyun?"

Kyuhyun sighed, "Jongwoon. I feel like he's been bothering me more with his question. Also, his obsession with his look has become quite worrying lately. This morning, he got caught taking out his hand mirror during the history class! Luckily, he answered all questions correctly so he only got scolded a bit. I just don't get it. Why is Jongwoon so obsessed with his face?"

"Hmm..." Heechul touched his chin thoughtfully, "did you go somewhere with Jongwoonie recently?"

"How did you know? But yes, we went to see his favorite movie, I got him a turtle keychain from a crane game, and we went to his favorite cafe after study on last Sunday. Why?"

"Let me guess, you also bought him meal and fed him too?"

"Yes, I fed him strawberry pancake but that's because he'll make a mess if I let him be."

"How come you ace in academic subjects but also fail to notice something so obvious?"

 

Heechul sighed while abandoning his work and paid his full attention to the genius yet stupid student. Kyuhyun got up from the comfy bed and looked at his cousin confusedly; "what did you mean?"

"You really don't know? Sigh, alright, let's start with this. Do you think that Jongwoonie is cute?"

"Of course n—"

"Be honest, brat," Heechul glared at his cousins, "it's just you and me here. No one will judge you."

Kyuhyun scratched his cheek awkwardly, "yes... I do think that Jongwoon is really cute, beautiful, even, but if I told him that, his big head would inflate even more from ego."

"Pass. Next, how would you feel if Jongwoonie asked that question to someone else and they said that he is really cute?"

"That's none of my—"

"Brat,"

"... I'd feel a bit upset though I don't know why."

"Pass. Next, what is in your mind when you see Jongwoonie's flustered face?"

"Why would—"

"BRAT,"

"...I think he's really cute and I want to pinch his cheeks."

"Alright, you're good to go. I'll give you a tip to solve this stupid drama. The next time Jongwoonie asked you that, lean in and look at his face closely then tell him what you think, sincerely."

 

Although Kyuhyun didn't understand why he should do that, he believed in his cousin so he just nodded wordlessly.

 

***********************************

 

The next day...

 

 

It was a self-study class, although no one really studied. Kyuhyun was playing a game on his phone when bright light got in his vision out of nowhere. He paused the game and looked up. His eyes met Jongwoon's in the hand mirror and, as usual, his classmate quickly put the hand mirror down with reddened ears. After a short while, the black-haired man slowly turned around in his seat to face Kyuhyun.

 

"Kyuhyun, do you think that I'm cute?"

 

Kyuhyun almost said "no" out of his reflex but stopped when he recalled his cousin's words. Right, he should follow the advice. He leaned in quietly and took time staring at Jongwoon's face. He looked deep into those gorgeous dark eyes that seemed to pull him in and his heart suddenly skipped a beat. He swept his gaze down at cute chubby cheeks and found his hands moving by themselves to caress them. Then, he looked at the luscious lips and his heartbeat sped up even faster.

 

"Yes, Jongwoon," the answer slipped out without his realization, "you're really beautiful..."

 

He did as his cousin told him and waited for Jongwoon's reaction. He expected his classmate to boast loudly or mock him for finally admitting it. He didn't expect Jongwoon to slowly turn red from his neck to the tip of his ears. The black-haired man looked so adorable gasping and staring at him with widened eyes. Those small hands clutched the hand mirror's handle so tightly that he was afraid that his classmate would break it.

 

"Jongwoon, you're going to hurt yo—"

"AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!"

 

Jongwoon suddenly screamed and pushed him away with a crimson face. His classmate then got up and just ran out of the classroom while he sat in place stunned. What was that reaction? He thought that Jongwoon would be happy after he finally said what his classmate wanted to hear? Why did Jongwoon make that cute face and turned all red? Most importantly, why couldn't he stop smiling thinking of Jongwoon's flustered expression?

 

 

Something suddenly clicked in his head.

 

 

Jongwoon took his hand mirror out only when they were in the classroom, not when they sat together in a lab, not when they sat together during the tutor session, not when they sat together during the PE class. In another word, Jongwoon only took out his hand mirror when they didn't sit together, when Jongwoon couldn't see him. Plus, Jongwoon always went all cutely red and stammered whenever they were so close. Could it be that...

 

"Wait... Jongwoon has a crush on me...?"

 

Kyuhyun was startled by the loud cheering noise. He looked up and saw literally everyone in the classroom either jumping or doing a high-five. One of his classmates got down on his knees and spread his arms wide while shouting happily.

 

"God! You finally got it!" 

"What? Everyone knows that Jongwoon likes me?'

 

They all sighed loudly in unison.

 

"Dude, literally every human in this school knows that! Well, except you. We're so tired of seeing you two not going anywhere despite obviously in love with each other. But that suffering finally ends today!!!"

"In love with each other? Me?"

"Kyuhyun, oh, Kyuhyun," one girl snickered at him, "whenever another men try to approach Jongwoon, you always glare at them as if those poor guys just murdered your mom! You're freaking in love with Jongwoon and you're very possessive of him!"

"That..."

 

That was true. He did recall sneering at a guy from the next class who came to see Jongwoon during a break. So... he liked Jongwoon...?

 

"I have to see him. Now."

"I saw him running to the garden. Good luck!"

"Thanks!"

 

Kyuhyun smiled at his classmates and ran out of the classroom to look for Jongwoon.

.

.

.

.

Arriving at the school garden, Kyuhyun saw Jongwoon sitting under a tall tree with his head hanging low. He approached the shorter man and sat down beside him, and burst out laughing when he saw Jongwoon flinching and dropping the hand mirror. His cute classmate hurried to pick it up and hugged it closely to himself before staring at him in surprise.

 

"K-Kyuhyun!!? What are you doing here!!?"

 

At first, he considered confessing his feelings but changed his mind when he saw those lovely chubby cheeks slowly heating up. He wanted to tease Jongwoon a bit more.

 

"I'm here to tell you that I was just kidding."

"What kidding?"

"In the classroom just now, when I said that you're beautiful, I was kidding."

"What the..."

 

Jongwoon looked confused at first but then his beautiful black eyes shone with realization.

 

"You! Stupid! Idiot! Dumb! No brain! Fool! I hate you!"

 

After a long string of cursing, Jongwoon pouted at him and turned away angrily. After that, his adorable classmate brought the hand mirror up to admiring his face sulkily.

 

"Like hell I need an opinion from someone like you! You have no taste and that eyes of yours are only for decoration! You also lack a brain to understand my unmatched beauty and— KYUHYUN!!?"

 

While Jongwoon was rambling nonsense, Kyuhyun pulled the black-haired man to his lap and hugged him from behind, causing the smaller man to drop the hand mirror once again. He smirked and kissed behind his adorable classmate's ear before picking the item up from the ground. Then, while pretending to not see Jongwoon's burning face, he placed the hand mirror back in Jongwoon's small hands and closed those short fingers around the handle with his larger hands on top of them.

 

"Be careful, Jongwoon," he whispered teasingly, "if you broke the mirror then you wouldn't be able to look at me sneakily during classes anymore, right?"

 

Kyuhyun chuckled as Jongwoon literally jumped in his lap.

 

"I-I absolutely have no idea what you're talking about!!! I only carry the hand mirror around with me because I want to look at my gorgeous face all the time!! Who told you that I secretly look at you? Don't be so full of yourself Kyuhyun!!!"

"Oh, really? Do continue to admire your look then. Don't mind me!"

 

He said causally while lifting his classmate's small hand up so that their reflection was shown in the hand mirror. Then, he bit Jongwoon's earlobe and it, drawing a cute gasp from the shorter man. He moved his lips up and nibbled the reddened ear, before dragging his tongue along the contour and the sensitive spot. Due to the hand mirror, he was able to appreciate Jongwoon's flushed face while Jongwoon also saw every movement of his tongue. The black-haired man's grip on the mirror shook so much that if it wasn't for his support, his classmate would have dropped the mirror again by now. He trailed his lips lower until they made contact with the pale neck and it, and that was when Jongwoon finally snapped back to his sense.

 

"K-Kyuhyun, stop! Y-You've gone too far this time!"

"I love you too, Jongwoon."

"I don't mind hugging or hand holding but thi— eh...? Kyuhyun, did you just...?"

"Yes, Jongwoon," he whisper softly, "I said I love you too. Also, sorry for not realizing your feelings sooner."

 

Through the hand mirror, he saw Jongwoon widening his eyes with his mouth hanging open, and it was so cute that he had to kiss that chubby cheek. It took his adorable classmate almost five minutes to comprehend what he just said.

 

"Kyuhyun, did you really mean it? That you love me too? Wait, too? You know that I love you? How? When? Did you also find out that I intentionally fail math to spend time with you? And how did you know that I use a mirror as an excuse to—"

"You talk too much, Jongwoon."

 

He shut his (now) boyfriend up with an impatient kiss. He cradled the shorter man's face and held his thin body firmer against himself while deepening the kiss. He heard a sound of something dropping to the ground but ignored it. He was too lost in these soft and sweet lips that his mind completely shut off the rest of the world. Tsk, he really was an idiot for not realizing Jongwoon's feelings sooner. How much did he miss because he wasted times? Now that he got to have Jongwoon in his arms like this, tasting these luscious lips until the fire burned within him, feeling the soft and smooth skin that seemed to melt at his tou—

 

 

"YOU'RE ON A SCHOOL GROUND NOT A MOTEL FOR SAKE KEEP YOUR JUNK FOR WHEN YOU'RE AT HOME!!!"

"Ouch!"

 

 

Kyuhyun cursed when someone hit his head so hard that he saw stars. Still holding his cute boyfriend's on his lap, he looked up and saw his cousin glaring at him with a murderous aura.

 

"Brat, I gave you a hint because I want Jongwoonie to be happy, not for you to molest him in the broad daylight right before my eyes!!!"

"What? Hyung, you were looking at us all this time? That's creepy!"

"Looking at you? This garden is right outside of my freaking office window tell me how am I supposed to not see that!!?"

"It's still your fault, hyung," Kyuhyun kissed Jongwoon's cheek, "you interrupt our lovey-dovey time."

"GO BACK TO YOUR CLASSROOM BEFORE I BEAT YOUR TO A PULP!!!"

 

Kyuhyun smirked as he dodged a hit from the infirmary teacher. He let Jongwoon out of his hold and pulled the black-haired man up back to their feet. His poor boyfriend was so embarrassed that he couldn't look at either of them, just looking down and keeping his chin low. With one last glare, Heechul left the lovebirds and went back to his office, leaving only Kyuhyun and Jongwoon.

 

"Jongwoon, the self-study class probably ends now. Let's go back to the classroom. We have to tell everyone the good news too."

"Wait, let me pick up the mirror first."

"Just leave it there. You don't need that anymore, right?"

 

Kyuhyun leaned in until their foreheads touched. He stared into the beautiful black orbs and smiled affectionately.

 

"From now on, whether you want to look at me or look at your reflection, just look into my eyes. I'll always be right here for you."

"Kyuhyun..."

 

Jongwoon stared back with blushing cheeks and he couldn't stop himself. Tilting his head, he was about to steal a quick kiss at those tempting lips but an angry shouting interrupted him.

 

"I SAID BE SOMEWHERE ELSE!!!"

 

He tsked in annoyance but obediently pulled away. His cute boyfriend looked so disappointed that he felt guilty for leaving him hanging. Taking a small hand in his, he kissed the knuckle while making a promise.

 

"My parents and my sister won't be home this weekend. Do you want to stay a night or two at my place?"

"Yes!! Yes, I'd love to!!!"

 

Chuckling at his ex-classmate's enthusiastic reply, he kissed the small hand again before leading Jongwoon back to their classroom. Both men had a bright smile on their faces as they left the garden behind, along with the hand mirror that lay there forgotten on the ground.