Glue

Objects of Love

"You two made it! I almost thought that you guys would ditch me seeing how hesitant you were when I called you two."

 

Ryeowook grinned while linking his arms with his best friends.

 

"Nonsense. It's your wedding so I must attend, obviously."

 

Kyuhyun said while rolling his eyes at the dramatic groom.

 

"That's right. How could I miss such a wonderful day for my best friend?"

 

Jongwoon chuckled while elbowing the groom playfully.

 

"I'm so happy that you two are here with me! How long has it been since the three of us are together like this? Five years? Seven years?"

 

Ryeowook asked while looking between the two men.

 

"... About ten years."

 

Jongwoon spoke up quietly.

 

"It's been ten years and eight months, actually."

 

Kyuhyun corrected the black-haired man who suddenly glanced down. Ryeowook looked back and forth between his two best friends and sighed.

 

"Right, it's been ten years since you two broke up in college. Wow, time sure flies!"

 

Jongwoon and Kyuhyun flinched. Neither of them looked at the other person as if they were pretending that the other party didn't exist.

.

.

.

.

"Kyuhyun-ah, let's break up."

 

Kyuhyun dropped the sunflower bouquet that he prepared to celebrate their graduation.

 

"W-Why...? Jongwoonie, did I do something wrong? Is it because of the ice cream that I ate? I'll buy you ten more if you want! Just, don't joke about something like that, please..."

"No, it's not about something silly like that. I just don't love you anymore."

"What nonsense was that!" Kyuhyun raised his voice at his boyfriend for the first time, "you're talking bull, Jongwoonie! Why should we break up when you clearly still lo— wait, is this about my father?"

 

Jongwoon's noticeable flinch gave Kyuhyun the answer that he wanted, and no words could explain how furious he was.

 

"What did he tell you? Did he force you to break up with me? Aish, come with me! I'll tell him off right now!!"

"No! You can't do that! Please, Kyuhyun-ah, I have never asked for anything so why can't you do as I want just once!"

"Because it's something that I can't give you! Jongwoonie, c'mon, we can get through this together! Just let me talk with father first."

"No, Kyuhyun, I want to break up with you, now!"

"If you really want that then don't say it while looking like you're about to cry!!!"

 

Kyuhyun hugged his boyfriend who was sniffing and desperately tried to hold onto him. However, Jongwoon harshly shoved him away and stepped back. Jongwoon brushed off the tears dirtying his cheeks before looking down at the taller man on the ground.

 

"Goodbye, Kyuhyun-ah, I'll never forget our time together."

"No! Jongwoon! Don't leave me!!"

 

Ignoring Kyuhyun's desperate plea mixed with a sob, Jongwoon turned around and walked away from the young man's life.

.

.

.

.

"Anyway!" Ryeowook pretended to not notice the awkward air between his friends, "come with me. I'll introduce my lovely bride to you two!"

 

Ryeowook dragged the two men to a group of women who were chatting about. A beautiful girl in a pristine ivory dress who stood in the middle of the group noticed them and waved at the three men. Ryeowook waved back happily and beamed when the bride excused herself from the group to see him.

 

"Oppa, are they your best friends since middle school that you always told me about?"

"Yep! This stubborn guy is Kyuhyun and this hopeless guy is Jongwoon."

"Nice to meet you Ari-ssi and don't listen to his nonsense," Kyuhyun said while glaring at the groom.

"Nice to meet you. Thank you so much for taking care of Wookie, Ari-ssi."

Ari giggled, "Wow! You're exactly like what Ryeowook oppa told me!"

Kyuhyun sighed, "please tell me that he only told you about good things?"

"Don't worry! Oppa never talks behind your back. He mostly just complain how much he misses you two because it's hard for the three of you to meet."

 

Although Ari didn't mean to imply anything, the two men still looked away guiltily for a second.

 

"... Yes, unfortunately, we're busy so we rarely meet."

 

Jongwoon explained while ignoring Kyuhyun's frown directing at him. The bride nodded in understanding and linked her arms around her groom's.

 

"I know! Ryeowook oppa told me that you're really busy that you basically abandon your love life. He even asks me to help him find someone for you two!"

 

Before either Jongwoon or Kyuhyun got to turn down the bride's offer, the groom interrupted them.

 

"That's right! Ari-ah, you must help me! This guy,"

 

Ryeowook pointed at Kyuhyun,

 

"—date people left and right but never makes it past three months! And this guy,"

 

Ryeowook then pointed at Jongwoon who shook his head crazily but got pointedly ignored,

 

"—never be in any relationships since his last breakup in college! Would you believe it! Ari-ah, my best friends are so hopeless that I need you to help me!"

 

While Ryeowook was whining to his bride, Jongwoon was doing his best to ignore Kyuhyun's surprised stare. Before the taller man got to say anything, the shorter man cut him off.

 

"Wookie, Ari-ssi, I think you should go greet other guests too. Don't let me occupy your time more than I already did."

"Ah, right, right! Let me call a waiter to take you two to your table then!"

 

Ryeowook beckoned a waiter to see them. A young waiter who was wearing skates quickly dashed towards them. However, the man couldn't stop in time and bumped into the groom who then bumped into his dark-haired friend. Like a chain reaction, Jongwoon also bumped into Kyuhyun who caught him by his waist before he fell on the floor. Jongwoon was temporarily stunned when his eyes met Kyuhyun's brown eyes that seemed to pierce through his shaking soul and see through his mask.

 

"Jongwoon, I—"

 

Startled by sudden gentleness in the rich voice and the large hand on his waist, Jongwoon accidentally shoved Kyuhyun too hard and sent himself stumbling backward. He felt his back knocked against something heavy but he was harshly yanked by the arm before he got to turn around and see. After Kyuhyun's worried shouting, Jongwoon found himself in the taller man's arms while hearing a loud shattering noise behind him at the same time.

 

"Jongwoon! Kyuhyun! Are you alright!!?"

 

Ryeowook immediately came to check on them. Jongwoon seized the chance when his best friend talked to Kyuhyun to take a look. Then, his face turned paler than a paper after realizing what he bumped into— a pair of gorgeous painted ceramic dolls of two giraffes as tall as a grown man which were the main wedding decoration was now lying broken on the floor. Their upper bodies shattered into pieces while their lower parts were full of cracks.

 

"Oh no! Wookie, I'm really sorry! I'll replace it with a new one for you!"

"I'll help pay for it too," Kyuhyun chimed in, "it's also my fault for catching Jongwoon off guard like that."

 

Ryeowook stared at the ceramic dolls with a saddened gaze while his bride tried to console him. Then, he turned to glare at his best friends.

 

"No! I don't want a new one. I want you two to fix this one for me!"

Kyuhyun snorted, "you're kidding, right? It already broke so it can't be fixed."

Ryeowook argued back, "you haven't tried yet so how did you know?"

"But Wookie... Isn't it better to buy a new one?"

"For me, no, nothing can replace these ceramic dolls because they're very precious to me."

"Oh, c'mon Ryeowook, it's as clear as day that it's broken beyond fixing."

Jongwoon nodded, "even if we fix it, it won't look as good as buying a new one."

"See!" Ryeowook jumped in anger, "you two are too quick to give up! Kyuhyun, how did you know that it's beyond fixing when you haven't tried yet? And Jongwoon, it's not about how it looks, it's about me, I don't want anything but these dolls!"

 

Before the two men got to protest, the groom cut them off with a final declaration.

 

"Whatever. Tomorrow, you two must fix it for me and I won't let you leave the hotel until you're done! I'll lend you my room and buy glues for you, so do your best and piece them back!"

 

Since they were in the wrong, Jongwoon and Kyuhyun could only agree to do as Ryeowook said.

 

*****************************************

 

The next day...

 

 

Jongwoon and Kyuhyun came to the couple's suite to fulfill the promise. Ryeowook smiled evilly while leading them to the living room and showing them the broken pieces of the ceramic dolls that hotel staff gathered. Then, the groom handed them a bunch of glue tubes before leaving with his bride to go shopping, leaving the two men alone. Jongwoon and Kyuhyun stared deadpanned at the survived lower parts of the giraffe dolls not knowing what to do. Awkwardness soon suffocated them and made them unable to breathe properly. After ten solid minutes of silence, Kyuhyun was the first to break the ice.

 

"Well, let's start by sorting the broken pieces, shall we?"

"Yeah... good idea."

 

Both men worked quietly in sorting the pieces. They separated them into groups for an easier time gluing them back. At the same time, they tried to find pieces that matched so that they could fix a small part first. To Kyuhyun's surprise, Jongwoon suddenly started a conversation first while they were working.

 

"So... how are you and your company?"

"...Not bad, I guess. My life has ups and downs but it's still great overall. As for the company, I just got an awesome deal from a big investor so it's good?"

"Really? That's great news. Congrats!"

 

Jongwoon stopped smiling and looked down as soon as he saw Kyuhyun staring at him.

 

"... What about you, Jongwoon? How have you been?"

"Oh, um, so-so? I inherited the cafe from my father as I intended and I've been managing it until now. I plan to open a third branch in SM College soon."

"I guess I should drop by then because it's not far from my office."

 

Kyuhyun sighed softly when the black-haired man didn't say anything back to his comment. Then, they continued to work on sorting and matching the pieces in silence. However, their dynamic changed a bit with Kyuhyun constantly glancing at Jongwoon who pretended to not notice it. After a while, Kyuhyun broke the ice again by starting a conversation.

 

"Do you still like movies?"

"...Yes, I do."

"I see. Well, do you still remember that I don't like them?"

"Of course," Jongwoon smiled fondly, "you said that they're boring and complain when I want to watch one, though you always sit with me to the end."

"I have my reason," Kyuhyun didn't elaborate on the reason, "I've changed a bit now, though."

"How so?"

"For a start, I don't think they're boring anymore. I even come to enjoy it to the point that I'll watch one or two a week."

"I'm glad to hear that."

 

Kyuhyun was slightly disappointed when the shorter man cut the conversation short but he didn't know what to say either. Just as he was about to resign to another awkward silence, Jongwoon spoke up softly.

 

"... I've changed too."

Kyuhyun immediately perked up, "really? How?"

"I used to think that those mobile games are a waste of time but not anymore. Nowadays, I really enjoy playing them in my free time."

"We could add friends and do quests together!" Kyuhyun said eagerly, "only if we play the same game and you want to add me, of course," he added as an afterthought.

"I'll think about it."

 

Which means that you might not want to think about it. Kyuhyun sighed but accepted his chance as it was. He shouldn't be too greedy. So, he let the conversation died down, only focusing on sorting the pieces. The black-haired man also did the same so silence soon embraced them again...

 

****************************************** 

 

"What should we do now that we're done sorting the pieces?" Asked Jongwoon.

"Let's start with the base and work our way up. Luckily, our dear giraffes still got their legs attached."

 

Both men looked at the ceramic dolls that stared back at them mockingly. Although there were cracks everywhere, the dolls' legs and lower bodies were still intact so they only have to fix the upper bodies and necks upward. Nodding at each other, Jongwoon and Kyuhyun quietly chose their giraffe and started gluing broken pieces back into their place, starting from the area above the legs.

 

"I can't believe that we're really doing this, fixing freaking giraffe dolls," Kyuhyun complained.

"It can't be helped since it's our fault breaking them."

"You know what?" Kyuhyun huffed, "this is actually Ryeowook's fault for putting these things in people's way. It's almost like he's begging someone to bump into them."

 

Jongwoon suddenly laughed, a genuine and joyful laugh that captivated Kyuhyun. When the black-haired man realized that he was stared at, he immediately shut up and looked down.

 

"Sorry, I didn't laugh at you, just so you know."

"Then, why did you laugh?"

After hesitating awhile, Jongwoon answered, "your words, that it's Wookie's fault, remind me of something funny."

 

Jongwoon cast a hesitant gaze at the taller man before asking carefully.

 

"...Do you remember the incident at Mister Park's office? In middle school?"

"The first time we met?" Kyuhyun smiled in nostalgia, "how could I forget something memorable like that?"

.

.

.

.

Kyuhyun was cutting through a basketball court when a red ball bumped into his foot. He picked it up.

 

"Hey! Can you throw it back?"

 

He saw a boy with black hair waving at him while smiling brightly. Nodding, he raised his arms and threw the basketball. However, the red ball flew over the boy's head and crashed into a window, breaking it before flying into the room. Kyuhyun and the boy stared stupidly at the event unfolded and jumped in surprise when an angry teacher popped out from the broken window panel.

 

"Mister Cho! Mister Kim! My office, now!!"

.

.

"Sorry, you got dragged into this because of me... Oh, I'm Jongwoon, by the way."

"Kyuhyun. Nah, it's not your fault. My aim just ."

 

The shorter boy looked at the broken window and giggled.

 

"Actually, I think you got a great aim! I mean, you broke Mister Park's office out of all rooms!"

"It's the old man's fault for having his office on the first floor. He practically begs students to mess with it."

 

Kyuhyun suddenly stood up so Jongwoon glanced up at him while still taking care of glass shards.

 

"That's right," Kyuhyun nodded to himself, "this is the old man's fault! Jongwoon, we must get our revenge!"

Jongwoon quickly dumped the shards covered in a newspaper in a trash bin and asked excitedly, "how?"

"He's a perfectionist so he'll go crazy if we rearrange his stuff! Let's move his table slightly to the left!"

 

Smirking at each other, the boys quickly worked on their prank. While moving the table, a book slid off and fell to the floor. Jongwoon picked it up and whistled.

 

"Wow, I didn't know that Mister Park reads crime fiction novels too."

 

The boy then smirked wider. He took a piece of a post-it note and a pen before writing down— the murder is XXX— and put it on the cover. Kyuhyun who was looking over Jongwoon's shoulder laughed out loud at the spoiler message.

 

"You're evil!"

"Thanks, but I prefer imaginative."

 

After that, the boys waited until their teacher came back. They were dismissed but instead of going, they waited in front of the office, both smiling gleefully. Then—

 

"Mister Cho!!! Mister Kim!!!"

"Jongwoon! Let's run!"

 

Kyuhyun snatched Jongwoon's hand and they ran away together while laughing madly. Their hands never let go of the other.

.

.

.

.

Jongwoon smiled, "do you think that Mister Park still remembers it?"

"Of course, I mean, he did mention it on our high school graduation day so I doubt he'll ever forget it!"

 

Kyuhyun chuckled at the memory which prompted Jongwoon to chuckle too. However, when he saw Kyuhyun smiling while looking at him, Jongwoon quickly looked away.

 

"... Let's not slack off and fix these things."

"Alright."

 

Kyuhyun didn't say anything more and returned his attention to the ceramic doll, gluing pieces to the base. Slowly but surely, the giraffe's body started to form into a recognizable shape.

 

********************************************

 

"The bodies are done. Only the heads and the necks are left now."

"Let's fix the heads and the necks first before gluing them back to the bodies."

 

Jongwoon nodded in agreement and helped Kyuhyun move the pieces to the dining table in the kitchen. Both men then sat down opposite each other and quietly worked on their parts. However, while Jongwoon smoothly fixed the delicate neck part, Kyuhyun had a hard time gluing small pieces back to the doll's neck. Eventually, Kyuhyun's annoyed grumble stole Jongwoon's attention from his task.

 

"What happened?"

"Sigh, I can't seem to put these pieces together."

"Let me see," Jongwoon took the pieces and easily glued them together, "you're supposed to be patient and carefully put them like this... apply the glue... and done!"

 

Jongwoon almost dropped the piece when he looked up and saw the man opposite him staring at him, his gaze as soft and as sweet as cotton candy.

 

"W-Why are you looking at me like that?"

"It just reminded me of the past."

 

Jongwoon flinched slightly at the word "the past" because he knew exactly what Kyuhyun talked about.

.

.

.

.

"! I'm not doing this stupid thing!"

"This stupid thing is our homework, Kyuhyun-ah," Jongwoon rolled his eyes, "besides, why whining when you're the one who dragged us into the carpenter club in the first place?"

"I didn't know that we have to do something childish like this! Making a house from ice cream sticks? What are we? Elementary kids? Jongwoonie, we're in high school now!"

"Shut up and help me do the assignment."

"No, I'd rather us watch your boring movies than doing this at this point!"

 

Kyuhyun fumed and lay down on the floor using Jongwoon's lap as a pillow. Jongwoon tried to shove the big whiney boy away but to no avail. His poor attempt only made Kyuhyun cling to him harder.

 

"C'mon, Kyuhyun-ah! Are you going to abandon me?"

"Yes," Kyuhyun answered without hesitation.

"You brat! Get your lazy up and help me, now!!"

"Nope. Isn't this stupid assignment perfect for your small hands? Fighting, Jongwoonie."

"Hands size has nothing to do with this! Look!"

 

Jongwoon successfully forced Kyuhyun to sit up. Then, he proceeded to show the teen how to piece the ice cream sticks together.

 

"See, you're supposed to be patient and carefully put them like this... apply the glue... and done!"

 

Jongwoon was startled when he looked up and saw Kyuhyun staring at him fondly.

 

"W-Why are you looking at me instead of the assignment?"

"Because I love you."

"Wha—"

 

Kyuhyun suddenly kissed Jongwoon. It was a short, inexperienced peck at his lips but it was enough to send Jongwoon's heartbeat haywire.

 

"I love you," Kyuhyun repeated after their first kiss, "what about you, Jongwoonie?"

"Do you even have to ask?" Jongwoon murmured, his cheeks tinged with pink, "I love you too, Kyuhyun-ah."

"Thank you..."

 

Kyuhyun whispered, his tone warm and affectionate, before closing in to steal another kiss from his best friend turned boyfriend.

.

.

.

.

"What's so funny? We almost got in trouble back then!"

 

Jongwoon snapped at Kyuhyun who smirked at him. In the end, they failed to submit the assignment on time because Kyuhyun kept "doing" him instead of the assignment.

 

"I just find it funny how you haven't changed at all."

 

Kyuhyun said while chuckling softly. Then, he cautiously reached out to Jongwoon's hand on the table. He waited to see if the other party would pull away or not but when it didn't happen, he carefully put his hand on the smaller one, not too distant but also not too intimate.

 

"...How we haven't changed at all."

 

At first, Jongwoon looked like he wanted to say something because he kept chewing on his bottom lip. So, Kyuhyun waited patiently but nothing happened. After avoiding Kyuhyun's eyes, Jongwoon slowly pulled his hand away and got up.

 

"... Let's hurry up and finish it."

 

With that said, Jongwoon picked up his fixed giraffe's head part before heading back to the living room. On the other hand, Kyuhyun stayed seated while staring at his hand. The warmth from the small hand still lingered on his palm, as well as the warmth from that kiss in the past that still haunted him; both in his wake and his sleep, ingraining deeply in his heart with no possible way to remove it.

 

**************************************

 

"We only have to put the head and the body together now. Do you want to do it or...?"

"You do it, Jongwoon, and I'll hold the head for you."

 

They quickly reached an agreement: Kyuhyun held the ceramic doll while Jongwoon glued it back. Both men worked quietly on the task. While doing so, Jongwoon inspected the giraffe's neck full of broken pieces connected together by glue and he felt a sharp pang of guilt in his heart. No doubt that this part was the one that he bumped into and crashed on the floor. That's why it was damaged so much. He was the one who broke these beautiful ceramic dolls... Just like how he broke their relationship with his own hands...

 

"Ouch!"

"Jongwoon! Are you alright!!?"

"I'm fine," Jongwoon looked at his left hand, "I accidentally glued my pinky and ring finger while applying glue on the doll..."

"That's not fine at all. We should wash it off."

 

Kyuhyun seized the small wrist and dragged the man to the bathroom. He opened a red tab and gently washed the glue off of Jongwoon's hand under running warm water. However, the more gentle he was, the more nervous the black-haired man was. Eventually, Jongwoon couldn't stand still and voiced out his confusion.

 

"Why...?"

"Why what?"

"Why are you so kind to me...? I don't deserve it..."

"And why do you think that you don't deserve it?"

"Because I left you..."

"Then, why did you leave me?"

"I can't—"

"Jongwoon, I already knew that it's about father. Stop giving me false excuses."

"If you already knew then why did you have to ask me again?"

"Because I want to hear it from you, the truth why you left me when you still loved me."

 

Jongwoon couldn't bring himself to look at the familiar brown eyes that clearly showed hurt and confusion, because he was the cause of those painful emotions that Kyuhyun didn't deserve.

 

"The truth, you said...?"

.

.

.

.

"I can't wait for us to get engaged!"

"Not so fast, Kyuhyun-ah, we haven't graduated from college yet!"

"We will in a week. It's only a matter of time, Jongwoonie!"

"Don't you want us to get a stable career first?"

"I'm not that patient, I'm afraid. Plus, you'll probably meet a lot of people after inheriting the cafe so I have to make them realize that you're taken."

"But... what about your father...?"

"I'll talk with him somehow. Trust me, I'll take care of everything and ensure that our future together is as bright and as beautiful as your smile."

"Gosh, you're so sappy!"

"Because I love you, Jongwoonie."

"I know. I love you too, Kyuhyun-ah."

 

Jongwoon hung up the call with a wide grin on his face. He and Kyuhyun had been dating for five years now and their days couldn't be happier. They loved and cared about each other so much that just thinking of his boyfriend warmed his heart up a great deal. However, his smile soon faltered when he thought of Kyuhyun's father who was strongly against their relationship. Unlike his family who was very supportive, the head of the Cho family couldn't accept the fact that his son is gay. Because of that, Kyuhyun's relationship with his father was really rocky. They often argued while Kyuhyun's mother and older sister could only watch from the side. He wanted to help lessen the burden so he had been working hard to prove himself, but nothing seemed to please the eldest Cho so far...

 

The bell chimed.

 

"I'm sorry but the cafe... is closed now..."

 

Anxiety devoured him alive as he came to face Kyuhyun's father. Ignoring his obvious nervousness, the older man sat down at a table and gestured to him to do the same.

 

"You know why I come here, right?"

"Is it about Kyuhyun-ah...?"

"I'll be straightforward. Kim Jongwoon, you must break up with my son."

"I'm sorry, Mister Cho, but I can't do that. I sincerely love Kyuhyun-ah from the bottom of my heart and I know the same could be said for him. So, I'll never leave him no matter what you said."

"Very well, you leave me no choices but to disown him."

 

Jongwoon's heart stopped beating for a second.

 

"Disown...?"

"Yes. I'll confiscate his money and kick him out into the street. Kyuhyun has been living in luxury for his entire life, I wonder how long can he last living as a commoner."

"A-Auntie and Ahra noona won't let that happen."

"Can they? Even if they want to secretly help him, Kyuhyun won't accept it. If you know my son as well as you claim to be, then you should know that he hates appearing weak. He'll turn down all the help offered to him and tries to stand on his own feet. He'll manage it because he's a strong child, but he'll live in difficulty."

"............"

"Kim Jongwoon, you're a sensible person. I trust that you'll make a wise decision."

 

With that said, Kyuhyun's father left the cafe without looking at him even once. Jongwoon, alone in the deserted place, stared quietly at his hands balled on his lap. He unclenched them, brought them to his face, hid his face in them.

 

 

And he cried.

.

.

One week later...

 

 

"Kyuhyun-ah, let's break up."

.

.

.

.

Kyuhyun looked at him incredulously, "you believed in what he said? That he'll disown me?"

"You know as well that he won't hesitate to do it if it means getting rid of our relationship."

"And you chose to listen to his stupid words rather than talking with me? Did you truly believe that I'm so pathetic that I can't live in poverty?"

 

The taller man accidentally held his left hand harder in anger. Even though it hurt so much, Jongwoon kept it to himself because he deserved it; both the pain and anger.

 

"No, Kyuhyun, I know that you'll do well even without your father's money. However, I hate to admit it, but he's right, you won't accept any helps including mine. You'd rather live in difficulty than asking for help. Kyuhyun... I have complete faith in you that you'll pull through, but... I don't want to... I only want the best for you."

"Haughty, aren't you?" Kyuhyun snorted, "who are you to decide what is good for me?"

"If you hate appearing weak then I hate seeing you in trouble. To each their own, Kyuhyun."

"You and your idiot self-sacrifice attitude—!"

 

Jongwoon winced when the taller man gripped his hand even harder so Kyuhyun quickly loosened his grip, but it was too late because a red handprint had already formed on Jongwoon's flawless skin.

 

"Kyuhyun, stop, you're going to hurt your hand."

"You're still talking crap in this situation!!?"

 

Kyuhyun took a long, deep breath to calm himself down. His free hand pulled his hair in frustration while still holding the small hand. He was angry, no, furious, because to the end, Jongwoon still refused to say it, the only thing that he wanted to know ever since their breakup ten years ago.

 

"That's all you want to say? Jongwoon?"

Jongwoon bit his lip, "...yes, I've already told you everything, haven't I?"

 

Kyuhyun waited and stared at the shorter man, but Jongwoon was so adamant to avoid his eyes. He sighed.

 

"Fine. If that's all you want to say then so be it."

 

Kyuhyun let go of the small hand.

 

"Your hand is clean now. Hurry up and let's finish this bull task."

 

Kyuhyun turned around and left the kitchen. Jongwoon reached out as if he wanted to stop him but he changed his mind at the last second. He pulled his hand back while biting hard at his bottom lip to stop the tears that threatened to escape. He stared at his left hand, red with a mark left by Kyuhyun.

 

 

He deserved it all.

 

*************************************************

 

Jongwoon stayed in the kitchen for another five minutes to compose himself before heading to the living room. After that, both men quietly continued to fix the ceramic dolls— Kyuhyun held the part while Jongwoon glued it back. Awkwardness and tension were so thick in the air that one could almost see it with their own eyes. Kyuhyun ignored Jongwoon while Jongwoon constantly glanced at Kyuhyun, his lips moving as if he wanted to say something but no words came out. In the end, they awkwardly carried on the task and finally finished fixing the two giraffe dolls.

 

"I'm so done with this," Kyuhyun snarled, "if you have nothing else to say then I'll leave now."

 

When Jongwoon didn't say anything, Kyuhyun turned his back at the other man and left—

 

"Wait!!!"

 

He was tackled from behind and two slim arms hooked around his torso desperately.

 

"I-I have something to tell you and I'll regret it for the rest of my life if I don't say it..."

".........."

"I only ask t-that you listen to me, Kyuhyun. You don't have to take it or forgive me for my actions. Just, please, listen to me..."

".........."

"K-Kyuhyun, the truth is..."

 

Jongwoon closed his eyes and squeezed the man in his arms.

 

"I-I've always missed you. In the past ten years, not a single day had passed without me not thinking of you, Kyuhyun... I miss you..."

"........"

 

When he got nothing but silence as a response, Jongwoon finally lost it. Tears trickled down his face as he sobbed quietly. He ruined it, again, just like how he ruined their relationship, just like how he ruined Ryeowook's ceramic dolls. He always ruined everything and attempted to fix it only at the last minute because situations forced him. However, his poor attempt wouldn't make up for the fact that he was the one who broke it in the first place...

 

"S-Sorry... Forget that I said anything."

 

He released his hold and turned around to hide his ugly crying face. His shoulder trembled because he tried to force the sob back down his throat. Don't cry. He deserved it. He deserved all of th—

 

He was suddenly hugged from behind.

 

"You finally said how you feel."

 

A gentle voice whispered by his ear while the strong arms held him tighter, dearly and lovingly. Jongwoon dared to turn around, slowly and carefully, and looked up at the taller man. However, Kyuhyun's eyes showed nothing that he feared, no hatred, anger, or tiresome. Only pure love was shown in those warm brown eyes. Facing with such a tremendous amount of affection, tears that he worked so hard to stop spilled out and he cried again. He hugged Kyuhyun back while rambling on the feelings that he had bottled up for so long.

 

"K-Kyuhyun, I love you."

"I know."

"I don't want to b-break up with you, I n-never want to, b-but I don't want to see you like that."

"I know."

"It h-hurt me so much to say that. I cried a-all night that day."

"I know."

"I-I want to call you so badly, to tell you t-that I didn't mean to say that, t-to tell you that I want us to get back together."

"I know."

"B-But I was a coward. I didn't dare to say that when I was the one w-who pushed you away."

"I know."

"So, I did the only thing I'm good at— b-blaming and punishing myself. I repeatedly told myself that I d-don't deserve you or anyone for that matter."

"I know."

"B-But the truth is, I miss you, I miss you so much. When we met again at the wedding, I wanted nothing b-but to have you hold me again."

"I know."

"The kinder you are to me, the more guilty I feel. I kept telling myself that I don't deserve your kindness while pushing you away, again, even though I never want that."

"I know."

"When you turned your back at me in the kitchen, it hurt so much that I thought I was going to die. But I still refused to call you because I'm a coward."

"I know."

"B-But when you turned your back at me the second time, I couldn't stand it anymore, the pain, the regret, I'd have died for real if I didn't stop you this time. That's why... I'm sorry... Kyuhyun... sorry for being selfish..."

"You're not selfish at all for being true to yourself, Jongwoon. Most importantly, I'm sorry too for not holding onto you harder that time, for not trying to reach out to you in the past ten years. Ryeowook was right. I'm an idiot who gives up too quickly before even attempting to fix it."

 

All the time while Jongwoon was pouring out his feelings, Kyuhyun held him close and whispered softly to him while repeatedly kissing his head. Then, he apologized for his own actions while gently brushed the tears away with his thumbs. After that, both men stood quietly relishing in the warmth of the person whom they missed greatly. Kyuhyun kept kissing Jongwoon's forehead while rocking him gently to soothe him. At the same time, Jongwoon hugged Kyuhyun tightly while buried his face in his chest until his crying subsided.

 

"Jongwoon, can we begin again? I promise I won't let you go without putting up a fight this time."

 

Kyuhyun asked softly. Then, he added after thinking about it.

 

"Don't worry about father. He has no say in my life anymore, not when I successfully lead the company regardless of my uality."

"But I'm scared... Kyuhyun... Will it work...?"

"We don't know what awaits us in the future so let's focus on the present. Jongwoon, I want to start anew with you. Do you?"

 

Jongwoon looked up at the taller man and nodded. Determination shone brightly in his eyes.

 

"Yes, I want to be with you. I don't want to be separated from you ever again, Kyuhyun."

"Then that's all that matters."

 

Kyuhyun said in genuine joy and hugged Jongwoon who happily hugged him back. Although both of them had so many things they wanted to say and do, for now, they were satisfied with just staying in each other's arms...

 

 

"THANKS THE GOD YOU TWO FINALLY MADE UP!!"

 

 

The couple jumped in surprise at the sudden shouting. They stepped away from the other's embrace and turned to see Ryeowook standing at the door. The newlywed man ran into the room and tackled the two men, hugging them in each arm. The shortest of the three beamed brightly while looking back and forth between his best friends.

 

"I'm so happy that you two finally stop lying to yourself and admit that you still love each other. Sacrificing those giraffe dolls really worths it!"

"Wait," Kyuhyun glared at his friend, "don't tell me that this is what you planned from the beginning?"

"Duh, of course," Ryeowook rolled his eyes, "it's true that I love giraffes but even I won't put two giant ceramic dolls in people's way."

Jongwoon spoke up guiltily, "even though it's your wedding... Wookie, I'm sorry..."

Ryeowook quickly stopped his friend, "don't apologize. I want to do this and Ari-ah agrees to help me."

 

Stepping back, Ryeowook sighed while glaring at his best friends. His eyes were slightly red.

 

"I try to set you two up to meet before but you guys always turn me down. Do you think that I'm happy seeing my best friends suffer? No. Jongwoon, Kyuhyun, it hurts me as much as it does to you two. Still, I don't give up and keep trying. Then, I met Ari-ah and found out how wonderful it is to be with someone you love. I want you guys to be happy too. And I know that you can't turn me down again if it's my wedding. That's why... That's why..."

"Wookie..."

"Jeez, why are you crying?"

"You still have the nerve to ask me!!? You jerk! I was so worried..."

 

Eventually, Ryeowook cried out in relief. Jongwoon and Kyuhyun quickly came to hug their friend to comfort him. While the three of them were hugging, Jongwoon started to cry too which made Ryeowook cry harder. So, Kyuhyun had to work harder soothing both his friend and his boyfriend.

 

"Why did you cry too, Jongwoonie? We should smile in a time like this!"

"B-Because I'm very happy..."

"Kyuhyun, your eyes seemed s-slightly red. Could it be that you want to cry too?"

"Shut up Ryeowook. I'm not crying!"

 

Kyuhyun shouted while blinking tears away, causing Jongwoon and Ryeowook to laugh. Kyuhyun pouted at first but soon laughed along too. The three friends then laughed happily together while still hugging in a group, not knowing that someone else had stepped into the room.

 

Ari smiled at the three men before quietly heading to the living room where the two ceramic dolls were. She looked at the giraffes and used glue tubes scattering on the floor. Although they were full of cracks, they still looked beautiful in her eyes. She picked up one of the glue tubes, turned to look at her husband who still laughed along with his friends, and smiled happily at the scene.

 

 

 

Although the broken objects might not look as good as before, that didn't mean that they had lost their worth— as long as their owner still valued it and had glue to fix it.

 

***********************************************************************

 

Author's note:

It's still Sunday in my country so... *look around* Also this isn't even fully angst but I already cried while writing this lol. I really am allergic to angst... Thank you for always supporting me and my fics. Take care! <3 <3