Bet

Objects of Love

"Jongwoon hyung, we need your help!"

 

Jongwoon smiled and walked to a table consisting of three young men. They were one of his regular customers so he knew them well: Lee Donghae, Lee Hyukjae, and Kim Ryeowook.

 

"Need help with homework again?"

Ryeowook waved his hand dismissively, "no, hyung, we didn't need help with homework."

Donghae beamed, "it's about Kyuhyun so we need your help!"

 

That name made his heart flinch but Jongwoon hid his reaction well.

 

"What is it about Kyuhyun that you need my help with?"

Hyukjae stared at him for a second before replying with a sigh, "we're having a bet, hyung, to see who Kyuhyun has a crush on."

 

This time, his heart flipped like a rollercoaster of expectation and anxiety.

 

"Kyuhyun… has a crush on someone…?"

Ryeowook nodded, "yep, he sure is in love now but we don't know who."

"So, what does it have to do with me?"

Donghae suddenly whispered, "you see, hyung, we're suspecting that his crush works here."

 

His heart soared high up in the sky with wings of hope. Kyuhyun's crush… could it be…?

 

"It's definitely Seohyun!" Ryeowook said confidently.

"Are you kidding me? Obviously, it's Victoria!" Donghae quickly disagreed.

 

 

Oh.

 

Jongwoon's heart fell down with broken wings. It slammed onto the ground of reality and broke into pieces.

 

Of course, why would someone like Cho Kyuhyun, the star of SM University, beloved sophomore of the Faculty of Music, a cheerful and good-looking youth with sharp brown eyes and charming smile, a young man with a magnetic voice that enthralled every heart, why would someone perfect like that had a crush on him, a typical barista in his thirties who had nothing but a small coffee shop? Really, it was stupid of him to even hope in the first place…

 

 

"—hyung, Jongwoon hyung?"

"Ah, y-yes?"

"Are you alright, hyung?" Ryeowook asked in worry, "you seem out of it."

"I'm fine." Jongwoon smoothly lied. "So, you suspect that Kyuhyun likes either Seo or Vicky? I still don't know how it relates to me?"

"Because you're the only one who can solve this mystery!" Donghae grinned at him.

"They want you to help set up a scenario where Kyuhyun has to spend time with both girls to see who he actually likes."

 

Although Hyukjae's explanation was very easy to understand, it wasn't easy for his heart to accept it. Helping his crush to end up with either of his little sisters? What had he done in the past life to deserve this?

 

"Alright, I can do that much. What do you want me to do?"

 

Nevertheless, he still went along with it because he was that kind of a person; seeking happiness by hurting himself to make Kyuhyun happy.

 

"Hyung, you're the best!" Donghae beamed joyfully. "this is a piece of cake. You just have to let the girls spend time with Kyuhyun without your interference!"

"My interference?"

"Yup," Ryeowook nodded, "Kyuhyun really respects you. If he sees you showing bias to one side than another, no doubt that it'll affect his decision!"

"But I adore Seo and Vicky equally…"

"We know, after all, hyung is really kind and fair, but these idiots just want to be safe."

 

Hyukjae quickly added after seeing the older man's sad puppy expression. No one liked seeing Jongwoon hyung sad, especially him.

 

"I got it. So, when will we start?"

"Right now," Hyukjae added quietly and hesitantly, "they've already called Kyuhyun to come here."

"Alright, I'll do my best. I hope you guys got your answer then!"

 

Jongwoon wished the younger men luck before leaving their table. He also left his dying heart there along with his foolish hope for a happy ending.

 

**************************

 

"Yo! Kyuhyun! You arrived!"

 

 

Jongwoon almost dropped a coffee pot upon hearing that name. He placed it on a counter before any disaster happened. Carefully sneaking a glance at the young men's table, his heart immediately sped up at the sight of a tall young man who was chatting with the three men— Cho Kyuhyun, everyone's favorite senior and junior alike, and also his crush for almost two years…

 

 

Kyuhyun suddenly turned his way and their eyes met. A genuine smile broke out on the younger man's face and Jongwoon's heart sped up even faster (although he perfectly kept a neutral expression.)

 

"Jongwoon hyung—"

 

He turned to one of his part-time employees.

 

"Seo-ah, can you take Kyuhyun's order in my place? I have to make an urgent call."

"Of course, oppa."

 

He smiled at the young woman, Seohyun, a part-timer that he adored like a sister. After that, he pretended not to see Kyuhyun's frown and stepped into the back room. He didn't think he could outright support the boys' plan, but at least he could create an opportunity like this. Hopefully, it was enough for them to figure who Kyuhyun's crush was.

 

 

 

Maybe, just maybe, if he found out who it was, maybe he might have an easier time to forget this prickling pain in his chest.

 

***************************************

 

Jongwoon stayed in the backroom until he heard Seohyun bringing the order to Kyuhyun, signaling that he could stop hiding now. He emerged from the backroom and purposely avoided Kyuhyun's confused gaze. Usually, the young man talked with him for hours every time he visited the cafe. Today was the first time that they didn't greet each other, much less chatting like usual. He knew that Kyuhyun was confused but he had a promise to keep. For that reason, whenever Kyuhyun wanted to talk with him, he always came up with excuses to get away or let Seohyun handle it. It hurt, so much, but he still pushed on. The faster he found out about Kyuhyun's crush, the quicker he would get over this foolish crush.

 

 

"Jongwoon hyung, can you refill my tea?"

 

 

Jongwoon internally cursed himself when he almost answered "on my way!" with a bright smile at Kyuhyun's request. Old habits die hard. He looked around for Seohyun but the girl was busy taking an order from another table. He was about to panic when a bell hanging above the door chimed and a beautiful girl stepped into the cafe.

 

"Jongwoon oppa, I'm sorry for being late—"

"No, Vicky-ah, you arrived at the perfect timing! Can you refill Kyuhyun's tea for me?"

 

Victoria, another part-timer whom he adored like a sister, nodded despite her confusion. While handing the teapot to the young woman, his heart ached greatly when he happened to meet Kyuhyun's eyes— confusion and annoyance were clearly visible in those brown eyes. Could it be that Kyuhyun's crush was Victoria and Kyuhyun was upset that he bossed her around as soon as she arrived? He couldn't stand that gaze so he quickly turned away, pretending to check on the pastry on the display case. He was so into his act that he didn't notice someone stopping in front of him. A dainty finger poking at his cheek pulled him out of his melancholy. Looking up, he saw Victoria frowning cutely at him.

 

"You're avoiding Kyuhyun," the girl whispered almost accusingly, "why?"

 

Jongwoon's eyes snapped to the man in the question. Kyuhyun still glared heatedly at them and his heart sank even lower. Oh no, perhaps he just made Kyuhyun angrier…

 

"Oppa, now you're avoiding my question."

"Hm? What did you say again?"

Victoria sighed, "oppa, you're avoiding Kyuhyun and hurting yourself in the process, why?"

"What? No, I didn't avoid him."

"You obviously did, oppa."

 

A third voice chimed in, along with another dainty finger poking at his cheek. Jongwoon glanced over his shoulder and saw Seohyun staring at him with one raised eyebrow from behind. The black-haired young woman kept poking his cheek while continuing her interrogation.

 

"Before Vic arrived, you also had me take care of Kyuhyun's order even though you usually do it yourself. As Vic said, you clearly dislike this so why?"

"Sigh, I told you it's nothing. I'm just busy today…"

"Busy lying to yourself?"

 

Victoria asked while joining her friend in poking his cheek. Jongwoon couldn't help but shake his head fondly. The girls really cared about him and he was touched by that, but he had a promise to keep.

 

"I'm fine, really, I'm just… not in the mood to see Kyuhyun today…"

 

He wove another lie on top of the other. Although neither Seohyun nor Victoria bought his poor lie, they respected his decision and stopped poking around (literally and figuratively.) When the two girls returned to their duties, he noticed that Kyuhyun still glared at him and jealousy was obvious in those brown eyes. Jongwoon bit his lips bitterly and turned away. It was clear now that Kyuhyun did have a crush on one of his little sisters, but who? He didn't know that.

 

 

He didn't know if he wanted to know it.

.

.

.

.

"Look! He was upset when Victoria talked with Jongwoon hyung. Obviously, he likes Victoria!"

"What? Are you an idiot? He only looked upset when Seohyun casually chatted with Jongwoon hyung. Of course, he likes Seohyun!"

 

 

Hyukjae sighed at his two friends who were in a heated (whispering) argument. They were arguing about who Kyuhyun liked, while the man in the question was busy glaring at the cafe owner. He shifted his gaze to Jongwoon hyung who was smiling at a customer and his gaze lingered there for a few seconds. Then, he looked back at Kyuhyun who was fuming in jealousy, then back at Donghae and Ryeowook who were still in a debate. Sighing tiredly, he decided to make a move to end this ridiculous loop for once and for all. He lightly kicked Donghae and Ryeowook under the table to get their attention.

 

"Hey, let me join your bet."

"Finally!" Donghae almost shouted but stopped himself just in time.

 

Luckily, Kyuhyun was still busy glaring at Jongwoon hyung who was talking to Seohyun and Victoria.

 

"So? Whose side are you on? Me, obviously, right?? I mean, it's super obvious that he likes Seohyun."

"Bruh, of course, Hyukjae will join my side. If you weren't so stubborn, you probably noticed already that he likes Victoria."

"It's Seohyun."

"No, it's Victoria."

 

Ignoring his friends who were glaring at one another, Hyukjae dropped a bomb.

 

"Actually, I'm going to place my bet on Jongwoon hyung."

 

Both men immediately stopped arguing. They stared at him with widened eyes as if he had lost his mind. It took them a while to get out of an initial shock but once they did, they quickly bombarded him with questions.

 

"What? Are you serious? You'll bet that Jongwoon hyung is Kyuhyun's crush?"

"Yes, Donghae, I'm quite confident, actually."

"I have nothing against homouality but, Kyuhyun and Jongwoon hyung? I can't even begin to imagine."

"That's because you don't imagine hard enough, Ryeowook."

 

His friends kept staring at him to the point that he started to get annoyed. Hyukjae seized the chance when Kyuhyun went to a restroom to tell his idea to them.

 

"I have a plan to prove my theory to you guys. How about we wait until the shop is closed and have Jongwoon hyung ask Kyuhyun who he likes. We all know that Kyuhyun really respects hyung. Surely, he wouldn't mind telling him who he likes, right?"

 

Donghae and Ryeowook agreed with his plan. So, they decided to go with it and prove their theories once and for all. They called the older man to their table and informed him of their plan. Jongwoon went quiet for a long while but eventually agreed with it.

 

******************************

 

When the sun disappeared behind the horizon and the moon rose up on the sky, it was time to close the shop. Jongwoon told the girls to go home long before the closing time because he was worried about their safety. Besides, he had four helping hands anyway. The four young men eagerly helped him sweeping and mopping the place, especially Kyuhyun and Hyukjae (though they did so while teasing him.) Kyuhyun was so genuinely happy that the older man finally talked to him that he couldn't stop talking, but Jongwoon took it that the younger man wanted to hide his frustration from him. Truth be told, he was a bit nervous and sad at the same time. In a minute or so, he would finally know who Kyuhyun liked and his hopeless one-sided love would finally end. Jongwoon nodded at Donghae and Ryeowook who gave him a signal. The time had come.

 

 

"Kyuhyun, can I ask you something?"

"Anything for you, hyung."

"So…" Jongwoon gulped nervously, "if you have to choose between Seohyun and Victoria, who will you choose?"

 

Jongwoon suddenly chuckled bitterly at himself.

 

"Well, I bet you probably choose Vicky, right?"

 

Kyuhyun stared at the older man in confusion.

 

"Why do I have to choose in the first place— oh…"

 

Something akin to realization flashed past the sharp brown eyes. Kyuhyun turned to look at his friends and glared daggers after Donghae and Ryeowook suspiciously avoided his eyes. He sighed in annoyance before turning back to the older man who still waited for the answer.

 

"I choose you, hyung."

"What…? But that isn't one of the choices?"

"I'll always choose you no matter the circumstances, Jongwoon hyung, because I love you."

 

Jongwoon couldn't believe what he just heard and was left speechless. Hyukjae flinched while Donghae and Ryeowook's jaws dropped to the floor. Ignoring people's reactions, Kyuhyun continued with his confession.

 

"I've always loved you ever since I met you one year and a half ago. It was an attraction at the first sight that gradually developed into genuine love. I love you so much that I didn't know what to do with this fluttering feeling in my chest whenever you smile at me. I love you so much that I'm very scared of losing you. You treat me kindly and affectionately pretty much as you do to everyone else that I don't know what you think of me. I've been holding back my feelings for you but not anymore. Kim Jongwoon, I love you, will you give me a chance to make you happy?"

 

Jongwoon was too stunned to reply. He still suspected that he was imagining it and that everything was a dream. To prove it, he pinched his cheeks and yelped loudly afterward. It hurt! So, it could only mean that…

 

"K-Kyuhyun, did you really mean it? That you love me?"

"Of course, I mean every word I said. I love you, always and forever."

 

Then, Kyuhyun chuckled and gently massaged the older man's pinched cheeks.

 

"Hyung, will I be presumptuous if I assume from your reaction that you also love me?"

"N-No! Kyuhyun… I've always loved you too! Did you know how happy I am now?"

"As much as I am now, right?"

 

Jongwoon beamed in tears while tackling the younger man into a bear hug. Kyuhyun happily reciprocated the hug with a huge grin on his face. The new couple stayed hugging for a very long time as if they had already forgotten about the other three men in the cafe.

.

.

.

"Damn it! I lost the bet!"

 

Donghae complained while his loss to no one in particular. Rather than complaining like his friend, Ryeowook had something else he was curious about.

 

"You placed your bet on Jongwoon hyung. Did you already know that? How? The four of us always come here so how come you're the only one among us who knows that Kyuhyun likes Jongwoon hyung?"

"If you two actually look then you probably find out ages ago. It's not that hard to see, really."

 

Hyukjae turned away from Ryeowook. He stared at Kyuhyun and Jongwoon hyung who still hugged each other as if there was no tomorrow with a longing gaze.

 

 

Of course, I can easily notice that loving gaze.

 

 

After all, it's what I saw every time when I look into a mirror.