Who knew Yoda came from Taiwan?

BLAMELESS

CHOU TZUYU’S POINT OF VIEW

 

The ceiling looked empty, it is cream colored and it looked so boring. 

 

I hate that ceiling.  

 

My handphone buzzed, I sat straight up, grabbed my phone, and realized that I just received a message from the most important person in my life. The person who inspires me,who motivates me to do better, the person who means the world to me. 

 

My Mom. 

 

[MOM]

 

Good morning, darling. Are you awake now? If you are, please call me. 


 

I immediately press call, the call hasn’t even reached the second ring but my mom answered it immediately. Hearing my mom’s voice is something else. It has been months since I’ve left Taiwan for Korea. Honestly, I miss everything back home. 

 

Mom and I talk everyday, whether we call, text, or if I have a good amount of free time, we video chat. This is something that I’ve promised her before leaving for University. I promised her that we’d talk at least twice a week and so far communication-wise, things are going pretty well. 

 

“Are you still adjusting to Korea’s weather?” Mom asks.

 

The weather isn’t too different but the thing is, I am not with Family which means I have less resources. Also, I miss my mom. Those reasons are enough for me to feel a little sad every now and then. 

 

“Nope, I’m used to it now.” I tell her. She didn’t ask the right question. 

 

“What about food? Are you adjusting well to the food?” She asks again.

 

I have to admit, I miss Taiwanese food. Even though Korean and Taiwanese food are both asian cuisines, there are still a lot of differences. Sometimes I crave for food back home and I find it difficult to find the same dishes here in Seoul. 

 

“Mom …” I trail off. “Seriously, I’m fine here.” I chuckle, to make her not ask more questions.

 

“Should I send you more money? You know you can always ask for more.” She insists.

 

“No, don’t do that mom.” I warn her. She’s starting to get extra again.

 

“Should I send a house maid over there? Would you like you transfer to a bigger apartment?” I hear her fuss again. I roll my eyes in frustration.

 

This is the reason why, even though it’s difficult to live here, I still chose to do so. Living with them felt like I wasn’t growing at all. I was always babied and honestly, it didn’t feel right. I just wanted to feel autonomy.

 

“No.” I made sure I sounded stern. “I actually prefer living with my housemates.” I smile to myself because it’s true. I love living here with these idiots.

 

“Well, I guess you’re really staying.” She sounded defeated. I sigh. I guess she still hasn’t given up on the idea of me studying in Taiwan.

 

“Well, that’s what I’m saying mom.” I try to sound cheerful.

 

“Well, do well in your studies. I’ll call you tomorrow. Okay?” She ends the call without waiting for my response. 

 

Well, isn’t that nice.

 

My day has just started and I immediately had my mom asking me to choose between staying here or staying in Taiwan. Every morning she calls me like this. Of course, every morning like the good daughter that I am, refuse her in the most gentle way possible. I walk out of my room, with some of my books in my arms and is greeted by pure chaos. 


 

Sana Unnie


 

Hey, I’m not being mean! I’m just saying that this unnie is such a ball of sunshine that sometimes I can’t take all the positivity she has to offer. When I opened my door, she was already standing there waiting for me. I look at her blankly, like I usually do. 

 

“Do you need anything unnie?” I ask her, a little afraid of what’s on her mind.

 

“I prepared something today.” She smiles. 


 

Oh god, what is it now?


 

“And?” I ask her, not really sure what to say next.

 

“I want you to partake in it.” the girl says in a cute way. I look at her. Partake? Did just say partake? Is she a linguist now? Did she invent english? She’s using fancy words.  

 

“Did you just say Partake?” I hear a voice from the kitchen. It sounded like Nayeon unnie.

 

“Yes I did~” Says Sana unnie as she grabs my hand, leading me towards the kitchen. I lazily walk while the girl who looked like a shiba-inu dragged me.

 

In the kitchen were Mina Unnie, Chaeyoung, and Nayeon unnie. In the kitchen table, there’s food. It’s so weird for the kitchen table to be filled with food in the morning, it’s because we don’t usually eat together in the morning. We just wake up and start our day. I look at Sana unnie who looked pretty pleased. 

 

“I see you’re improving your english. Is it for your TOEIC?” Asks Mina unnie. Sana unnie nods.

 

“What’s this all about?” aks the smol bean, she’s referring to the food.

 

“Well, you know, aside from improving my english, I’ve decided to improve my cooking.” Says Sana unnie enthusiastically. I look at her, she’s hopeless.

 

“So, like, you’re making us your guinea pigs?” I ask her. Instead of correcting me, Sana unnie just made me sit down. 

 

“Aren’t you guys happy I made something?” She asked us as she sat down. She’s pouting, subtly. Jeez, it’s too early for that stuff. 

 

Everyone stared at each other at first, but then, my eyes laid on Nayeon unnie. The great Im Nayeon who couldn’t even cook one bit, the great Im Nayeon who always orders takeouts. I mean, I guess that’s what she’s good at. Then my eyes see Chaeyoung, the girl who couldn’t even reach the cupboard, let alone cook for us. Lastly, Mina unnie, she’s such a princess. I don’t think she should cook. She’s excused. We must protect this penguin at all cost.

 

“Of course we’re happy. Thank you Sana unnie.” I tell her, smiling at her brightly. She might be our last hope for home cooked meals.

 

We all started to eat. Honestly, Sana unnie’s cooking was decent. I wouldn’t mind eating this for the rest of my life. 

 

We all talked, asked how each of us are doing, and we basically just checked whether everyone is doing okay.  Not long after that, we finished eating, I asked permission if I can go ahead. I actually needed to go because I had classes. Chaeyoung also had classes so she wanted to walk with me to school. It’s a good thing the unnies were so considerate of us.  

 

The walk from our dormitory to our University doesn’t take that long. Usually when I don’t have someone to accompany me, I just ride a Taxi. But whenever there’s Mina Unnie or Chaeyoung, walking would be fine. I enjoy walking when I have someone beside me. 

 

“Yah, Demon Tree.” The short girl calls me. I look at her, honestly, I’m not sure if I want to let her continue to call me that. 

 

“What’s wrong, dwarf?” I ask her. She looks at me distastefully. 

 

“I just want to clear things up, really.” She starts. I look at her, not sure with where she’s getting at. “Min Woo and I, there’s nothing there.” Says the short girl.

 

I’m not really sure whether she’s telling me the truth. Just because she doesn’t like Min Woo, doesn’t mean Min Woo doesn’t like her. I look at her and understand Min Woo. Son Chaeyoung is beautiful, she’s smart, she’s artistic, and she’s got this way of taking things so easily. She’s Son Chaeyoung after all. She’s a good catch. Honestly, I can’t blame the guy if he likes her. What’s not to like anyway? 

 

However, I just find it weird how it seems like he’s taking things hastily. He’s moving a little too fast in my opinion.

 

“Trust me, he likes you.” I tell her. She stares at me. I’m not sure whether she’s plotting to kill me with that stare or she just stares like that. 

 

“I know.” The girl replies flatly. I just stare at her out of shock. 

 

“So you know? Then why are you saying there’s nothing there?” I ask her. 

 

She stares at me for awhile, it seemed like she wanted to say something. It feels like she’s holding back her thoughts. What is she thinking? Is it something to really make a big deal about? I see her struggle to respond. We were still walking at this point. I hear her sigh.

 

“You could say, I’m not attracted to him.” She finally says. 

 

I only saw Min Woo once but I have to say he looks pretty decent. I’d say that he looks better than the average korean male. I mean, he’s basically better looking than my male classmates. I’d say he’s a pretty okay catch. So far, he doesn’t seem weird or sketchy. So far.

 

“You’re not attracted to him?” I ask her, I was almost in disbelief. She looked at me and then she stared at the sky while walking. It looks like she’s careful with what she’s going to say. 


 

I honestly wanted to ask if what she’s trying to say is that she’s not attracted to men.


 

“Well, Demon Tree, Jung Min Woo isn’t my style.” She looked at me blankly. Plain. She even seemed bored with our conversation.

 

I didn’t bother asking her what that meant. It felt like I’ve asked her enough questions. Who cares anyway? She’s my friend, if she says she doesn’t like someone, I believe her. We kept quiet after that. We arrived at the University and went our separate ways. We do have a class together but it wasn’t until later. 

 

The day went on as usual. A bunch of new lessons were discussed today, and assignments were given. Nothing special happened, just like the usual. I’m just a bored University student away from home. 

 

Honestly, it’s a good thing I live with the people I’m living with right now. Though they may be sometimes bizarre, I honestly don’t mind. At first, I thought that moving to Korea is something that’s risky. My family thought I was crazy. I thought I was crazy. Even before during my flight, my family tried to talk me out of my plan. However, I, Chou Tzuyu, did not give in. Sure, I’d be a lot more comfortable in Taiwan. However, I wanted independence. Living with my family, felt suffocating. 

 

“Yah, Chou Tzuyu.” I hear the smol bean call out to me. Our classes are over and we decided to walk home together. Walking home with a companion is a lot safer. 

 

“What, Son Chaeyoung?” I ask her. I smile after saying her complete name. 


 

Her name should be Small Chaeyoung. 


 

“Sana unnie wants us home.” Says the girl who looks like a cub.

 

“What for? That’s a first.” It’s just weird for Sana unnie to want us home. It’s because first of all, she’s rarely home, second, she’s never done this before. 

 

However, instead of complaining, Chaeyoung insisted on just following our unnie. We went home as quickly as possible. We took a cab and I initiated on paying. Honestly, it’s just a reflex. Chaeyoung didn’t mind. Though I’m pretty much aware that Chaeng’s family is pretty well-off themselves. 

 

“I need you guys to help me clean the dorm.” answers Sana unnie after we asked her why she wanted us home. I see Chaeyoung from the corner of my eye just nod. She excused herself to put our things away. I just look at Sana unnie, what a weird girl she is.

 

“Is that it? You wanted us home cause you needed help?” I couldn’t stop myself from feeling a little bit annoyed. She looks at me and then she smiles. 


 

Wow, I guess I’m defeated. 


 

“Don’t you want to help me out?” She asks me, she gave me this look. I don’t know how to explain it, but I felt a little weird. 

 

“Are you my mom or something?” I ask her. “You’re acting like my mom.” I tell her.

 

“Well, in that case, you should start calling me mommy then.” She smiles at me. I can’t help myself but just look at her blanky. I’m unamused. 

 

“ no.” I tell her plainly as I look around and notice that the dorm’s spotless. I look at Sana unnie. “I thought you wanted us to clean the dorm. It’s obviously spotless. Seriously unnie, why’d you want us home?” I ask her. She looks at me like a puppy. 


 

I can’t resist puppies.


 

“Yoda-yah…” she trails off. “I was lonely here. I was all alone. Even the people next door weren’t responding to my texts.” she pouts. 

 

The girl started to explain that all she needed was company. She said that me and Chaeng had no classes so she thought about us. She told me that if she only had another choice she wouldn’t bug us that much. When Chaeng came back from her room, she expected to start cleaning and Sana Unnie had to re-explain again. Miraculously, Chaeng didn’t mind at all. She even found Sana unnie’s clinginess funny and amusing. 

 

“Ah, seriously unnie. You could’ve told us you wanted to hang out. We would’ve bought snacks.” chuckles Chaeng as Sana unnie grabs her nail polish kit. We’re currently in the living room, the television and Tzuyu and I preparing ourselves for a pedicure from Sana unnie.

 

“Where’d you learn to color nails?” I ask Sana unnie. Chaeyoung and Sana unnie looked at each other and laughed.

 

“Yah, Yoda. Didn’t you do this type of thing when you were younger?” asked Sana unnie.

 

“Don’t you have a childhood or something?” asked the dwarf.

 

I just look at them, not really knowing what to say. I mean, back in Taiwan I was treated like a baby. I wasn’t allowed to cook all by myself and I wasn’t allowed to clean all by myself. Basically, our house helpers were always there to help me or accompany me to anything that I needed. Only when I moved to Korea, that was the only time that I was able to clean my room all by myself. Those are the reasons why I badly wanted to study here. I wanted to at least do basic things by myself. 

 

“I don’t know.” I breathe out. Sana unnie then sat beside me, she grabbed my recently scrubbed feet. I guess she’ll start now?

 

“You don’t know? How come you don’t know?” Chaeyoung interrogates some more. Sana unnie started applying whatever it was needed to start polishing someone’s nails.

 

“What types of chores do you do back home?” Sana unnie looks up. Waiting for my answer. 

 

“I don’t do any.” I answer her. Both of their eyes widen.

 

“EH?” exclaims Sana unnie. I look at her and just nod.

 

“You must come from a rich Family then.” Says Chaeyoung as she scrolls through her phone. 

 

I just stare at Chaeyoung, I wanted to deny it but what would that make me? I don’t know. I guess my family lives comfortably in Taiwan. But that’s something I don’t want to talk about. Like, as much as possible, I want to avoid the topic . Sana unnie continues to work on my foot while Chaeng nonchalantly turns her attention to the Television.

 

“What about you, Sana unnie?” I ask her.

 

“What about me?” she asks back, not looking up. 

 

“Don’t you have classes today?” I ask her.

 

“Yeah. It’s so weird how you had the time to cook for us in the morning. You almost always have no time to be here in the dorm.” Chaeng looks up from her phone, obviously waiting for Sana unnie’s answer.

 

“Y’all nosy.” She chuckles and then gets back to polishing my nails again.

 

“It’s being inquisitive.” I reply. Chaeng stares at me, for sure she’s thinking of something to say.

 

“Wow. Big words for a giant person like you.” Chaeng chuckles. I give her a deadly stare. 

 

“Will there ever be a day when the both of you won’t bicker?” ask Sana Unnie. We stare at her and profusely shake our heads. Impossible, we wouldn’t be friends if we don’t bicker.

 

There’s a theory where when people reincarnate, they travel together with souls that have lived with in the past. 

 

To make it easier to understand, your mom could be your sister in your past life. Your brother could have been your uncle in your past life. Maybe, your friends right now could have been your friends in your past life and of course, you also travel to your next life with your enemies. 

 

Have you ever encountered a person for the first time and you just don’t like them for some reason? That’s probably because they’re your enemy in your past life. I look at Chaeng and I feel like she could’ve been a lion in her past life and that she had eaten me alive. Maybe that’s why we always bicker? I don’t know, sometimes my thoughts scare me.

 

“Anyway, back to my question.” I say as I stare at Sana Unnie who’s still fixated on my foot. 

 

“Don’t you have classes today Sana unnie?” I ask her again and this time she looks up and she gave me this cheerful smile. I couldn’t help but stare at her.

 

“Yes maám. I don’t have class today maám.” She smiles brightly at me which made me smile too. I then realized Chaeyoung was just staring at us, giving us a suspicious look.

 

“What are you looking at?” I ask the short girl.

 

“I have eyes that’s why I stare, idiot.” She replies fast.  

 

After a few minutes, Sana unnie has finished putting nail polish on my feet and it was now Chaeyoung’s time to get her feet done. As I let my feet dry, I turn my gaze towards the television and decided to watch the show, peacefully. I have to admit that I don’t entirely understand what they are saying.  So whenever the hosts laugh, I just laugh along. 

 

“I bet you’re just laughing because the hosts are laughing.” I hear Sana unnie say. I turn my gaze to her and I just nod my head apologetically.

 

“How’d you know that unnie?” asks Chaeyoung.

 

“It’s because I’m a foreigner too. Though I totally understand Korean Variety shows now, back then it was a pain in the . I had a difficult time trying to adjust.” Says Sana unnie as she stares at me.

 

“I do find it a little difficult to understand.” I smile at her, I don’t want her to worry much about me. I am sitting almost next to her, so I decided to scoot closer to her and lean my body against hers. 

 

“I can’t imagine going to another country and learning an unfamiliar language while studying and being away from my family.” Sighs Chaeyoung. Both Sana unnie and I agreed to what she said. 


 

I do think what we did was really ballsy.


 

“I had difficulty adjusting to food back then. I guess you’re currently adjusting to Korean food too?” Asks Sana unnie. I wanted to tell her that I miss Taiwanese food. But if I tell her the truth, she’ll just be worried about me. I wouldn’t want that. As much as possible, I don’t want to bother Sana unnie. 

 

“I think you guys are really brave.” We hear Chaeyoung. “Honestly, Thank you for coming to Korea. Thank you for choosing this dorm. It wouldn't be fun if you guys aren’t here.” She adds, the smol bean sounded serious.

 

I was silent for a while, I wasn’t really sure how to react to what she said. Sana unnie however, went in to hug Chaeyoung like her baby. After the hug they both looked at me, they were obviously expecting something to come out of my mouth.

 

Should I be serious? Or should I respond using sarcasm? 

 

“Hey, Fun size. Stop being so cheesy.” I tell her Sarcastically and the three of us laugh. 

 

Our unplanned get-together went on and a little while later, Nayeon unnie and Mina unnie joined in. We talked about stupid stuff and painted our nails. We just bonded like sisters, really. It felt nice, having these people as my roommates. Each of us have our own personalities, but together we become this one group that extremely needs guidance. Honestly, even though each of their personalities combined makes me want to rip my head out, I’d still prefer ripping my head out than going back to my life in Taiwan. 

 

Everything ended at around quarter to one in the morning. However, by that time it was only Sana unnie and I who were left in the living room. The other girls already headed to their respective rooms to rest.

 

I look over to Sana unnie and notice that she looked tired. She wasn’t really talking so I decided to sit in silence with her. 


 

She’s probably thinking about things she can’t tell me. 


 

Even though I’ve only been with these people for awhile, I kind of understand what makes them themselves. Sana unnie of all these people, I understand the best. Among all the people here, I’ve spent the most time with her outside of the University.

 

Sana Unnie is the type to say what’s on her mind when she’s upset or when she’s going through something. However, this time, even though I sense that she’s thinking of something, she chose to keep quiet about it. 


 

Maybe I don’t know her entirely yet. 


 

I look over to her once more and notice that the girl has completely dozed off. I just stare at her, not really sure what to do with this girl. She looks cute, vulnerable even. Sana unnie looking like this, makes me want to protect her. How can she sleep just like that? Is she a baby or something? She looked like a puppy.

 

I notice that the television is still running so I grab the remote control and turn it off, careful not to make any noise. I stand up and carefully enter Sana unnie’s room, good thing she left her room unlocked. I immediately grab her blanket. 

 

“Are you a child? You know you’re not supposed to doze off anywhere you please.” I whisper under my breath as I cover her with a blanket . I can’t let this girl catch cold, can I? 


 

That’s like my social responsibility or whatever. 


 

“Pabo. Am I supposed to take care of you? I’m not your keeper.” I whisper, wishing she won’t hear whatever I was saying. After “tucking” her to bed, I went straight to my own room and slept. I had classes the next day so I also needed rest. 

 

The next day, I expected to receive a text from my mom. I expected Her to ask me to call her, but instead, I wake up on my own. Maybe it’s my own body clock, probably my body’s already used to waking up early. 

 

I look around and decide to get ready for school. I do the usual, take a bath, brush my teeth, put my bathrobe on, eat cereal, and go to my room to dress up for school. I usually take a decent amount of time when getting dressed, putting on makeup, and brushing my hair. After all that hocus pocus, I grab my things and head outside to the living room. 

 

As I walk across the living room to the front door, Mina unnie calls out to me. I turn to her and just stare. 

 

“Tzuyu-ah. Sana unnie told me to give this to you.” Says the girl who looks like a penguin. She shakes something that she’s holding. I was too far away to know what it was so I walked closer to her and realised what it is. 

 

“A bento?” I ask her, my tone obviously surprised. She just nods as i accept the lunch box. “But why though?” I ask her again, I was completely confused.

 

“I received one too. She does this every now and then.” She smiles at me, her gums show. 


 

A Princess. 


 

“Don’t sweat it, kid. Everyone in the dorm received one.” the penguin pats my head as she walks by me. I catch to her pace and walk with her. Then we decide to go to the Univ together. 

 

“How are you liking Korea so far?” in the middle of our walk, the penguin suddenly asked. 

 

How do I like Korea so far? I mean, aside from the language barrier, I am also adjusting to the weather, food, and people. Honestly, so far, Korea to me, is a place I am not yet properly acquainted too. 


 

To make it simpler, the place is ty but my roommates are delightful so I guess it’s okay?


 

“South Korea’s okay, I guess?” I answer Mina unnie halfheartedly. She just looked at me, she’s probably thinking of what to say.

 

“I’m kind of worried about how you’d adjust here.” She seemed calm, elegant even. We were still walking while having this conversation. “You know, I was lucky to have Momo and Sana here. I was so glad to know I wasn’t the only Japanese in the dorms.” She smiled, she seemed to be thinking of how she met the other girls the first time.

 

“I worry about you because no one from your country lives nearby.” She says softly. I just look at her and smile, I mean, just because another person from my country lives near us doesn’t mean I’ll be friends with that person.

 

“Unnie…” I try to hide my amusement with how innocent she is. “I’m doing fine, really.” I smile at her, making sure she doesn’t think much of such things. 

 

“Are we doing a good job making you feel at home?” she asked. 

 

This time, I cannot help but be amazed with how concerned this unnie can get. When everyone said she’s an angel, I thought maybe because she looks like one. But now, I think, maybe what the others meant was she’s got the heart of an angel. I look at her and I just couldn’t stop myself from smiling. 

 

A little while later, we arrive at the University. Mina unnie and I went our separate ways. Entering the University grounds, I see lots of stalls installed all over the place. I also see students gathered in some stalls and some stalls completely deserted. I decided to come close to where the buzz was happening and see signs about clubs and organizations. I see different types of clubs placed all over the designated area. There’s a club for dancing, glee club, theatre club, sports club, and many more. 

 

“Jesus, who’s got time for things like this?” I mumble under my breath. I observe the festivity a little more and see students really are hyped up for school organizations. I see students busily scan through the stalls and asking for pamphlets in which the organizational information is printed. 

 

“You’re probably thinking this is a waste of time, huh?” out of nowhere the smallest girl in our dormitory suddenly asked me. I look at her and I pretend that I wasn’t amused. She smiled at me.

 

“How did you find me?” I ask her. She stared at me, judgingly. 

 

“You stick out like a sore thumb, Demon tree.” The short girl replies without hesitation. I wanted to smack her, I really do. However, I don’t believe in child abuse.

 

“You should be careful in a crowd like this.” I smile at her, hoping she’d ask me why so that I could burn her with my clapback. 

 

“Why?” The cub has fallen into my trap.

 

“Short people like you might get trampled on.” I smile at her, not minding whatever she was about to say back. The cub, Son Chaeyoung, stared at me. She looked like she was about throw hands but she looks really cute. 

 

“Whatever long limbs.” She just smiles in defeat. “What club are you applying to?” she asked. 

 

Huh, I wasn’t sure myself. Honestly, I don’t think I'm interested in applying to anything. I feel like, clubs would just waste my time. It’s not like clubs would give me extra points in my subjects.

 

“I don’t know. What about you?” I ask her, I’ll probably apply to whatever she applies to. She just stares into the sea of club stalls. She then turns her gaze back to me, she also looked dissatisfied with the choice. “Well?” I ask her once again, this time I was hoping for an answer.

 

“I’ll probably join dance club.” She replies.

 

Dance club. I once was enrolled in a dance class back in Taiwan, it hasn’t been that long since I stopped. I’m not really sure if I should continue it but if Chaeyoung does apply, I sure will apply as well. What could go wrong? I mean, I think it’ll be okay.

 

“We should probably apply together.” I tell her nonchalantly. 

 

“So you dance. That’s a new thing.” She replied, she sounded surprised. I just shrug, I mean, doesn’t everyone have a hidden talent?

 

After the fuzz in the school grounds, I went straight to class. As per usual, nothing new happened. All we did were boring and uninteresting lectures. After all my morning lectures were done, I texted Chaeyoung and Mina unnie if they wanted to go to lunch together. Mina unnie was busy while Chaeyoung responded immediately. Chaeyoung and I had lunch together, and as expected, she also had a bento made by Sana unnie. It felt weird how Sana unnie is becoming so attentive lately. 




 

I stare into the blank wall, only hearing sounds which are coming from the television. We all just finished eating dinner and cleaning up. Nayeon unnie ordered take out once again. I also noticed that Jeongyeon unnie wasn’t here. She’s usually here whenever Nayeon unnie orders takeouts. I don’t know, it’s been weeks since Jeongyeon unnie came over. She’s probably busy at her job. 

 

Time check, it’s a quarter to 10 pm. 

 

I let myself relax and sink into the couch, I wasn’t sleepy just yet. The television show was getting boring and the dormitory was growing silent by the minute. It felt like I was suffocating because of the boringness around me. I stand up, grab my wallet, phone, and decided to head out of our dormitory. It just felt like I needed to take a walk. 

 

As I stroll through the breezy walkways of where I live, I realized that I haven’t really strolled our neighborhood streets at night. The air was cold, the streets were clean, the stars are out, and the night is peaceful. I couldn't help but smile, I guess I really needed this. I needed to clear my head for a bit. 

 

I was thirty minutes in my walk when I saw a convenience store. Good thing I brought my wallet with me, I felt thirsty so I went straight in and was greeted by no one. Usually cashiers greet you when you enter convenience stores but not tonight I guess?

 

I went to the drinks section and chose my poison; bottle water. I walk towards the counter and see a familiar person. I was pretty sure she was as shocked as I am. We just stared at each other for some time, not really saying anything to each other. Is this even for real? Am I dreaming or something?

 

“Tzuyu-ah…” the girl trails off.

 

“What are you doing here?” I ask her, shock radiating from me.

 

“I can explain.” The girls insists, she sounded careful.

 

“When does your shift end?” I ask her abruptly. She just stares at me, she probably thinks everything is weird. I raise both my eyebrows, waiting for her to answer. 

 

“In about 10 minutes.” I hear her mumble under her breath.

 

“I’ll wait for you outside. We need to talk.” I tell her, not waiting for a response. 

 

I march myself outside and sit on the seats provided by the convenience store. I just stare at her, I couldn’t believe my eyes. Why is she here at this hour? What exactly is happening right now? Thoughts flooded my head. 

 

As I wait for her to finish her shift, I see another female enter the convenience store, they briefly engage in a conversation. After some time, I see Sana walk out of the convenience store. I wanted to ask her so many things, but I’m afraid she might be offended. 

 

“Sana unnie, what is exactly happening? Why are you working at a convenience store?” I ask her. She was avoiding my gaze, she’s probably embarrassed that she’s been caught. 

 

“Sana unnie, is everything alright?” I ask her, trying to make the air between us comfortable.

 

I see her take a deep breath and then she turned her gaze to me, she looked serious but defeated. She doesn’t seem like the Sana unnie that I know.

 

“Tyuzu-ah…” She trails off. “Sana unnie has dropped out of school.” She blankly replies. 

 

“So suddenly? But why?” I ask her. She just stared at me and then she shrugged.

 

“Unnie just needed a break.” She smiled and then she grabs something from her bag. It was a bottle of water, she then handed it to me. I take it and just stare at her, not sure how things became like this.

 

“Unnie, I have so many questions in mind.” I tell her honestly. She just nods her head in agreement. “But I won’t ask you anymore.” I tell her.

 

I won’t ask her anymore questions because I know she’s already burdened as of the moment. If I ask her more questions, I might come off as pesky. She’s the one to decide whether she’d tell me what’s going on with her. I won’t force her to do anything. 

 

“Why is that?” She asked. She looked curious.

 

“You might not want to tell me. It’s for you to decide whether you tell me or not.” I tell her sincerely. She smiles with what I say. 

 

“However, all I want to know is if you’re doing fine.” I add.

 

“I’m okay, Tzuyu-ah! I’m working for extra money.” She chuckles. “Don’t get me wrong, my parents are sending me enough but since I have nothing to do these days, I might as well get a job. Right?” She enthusiastically asked and I just nod at her. 

 

“Do they know?” I ask her. She pouts and then I see her shake her head. She just looked at me like a child. I nod at her, implying that I understand her. “I won’t tell anyone. I promise.” I smile at her. She smiles back and she leans in and  patted my head. 

 

“Did you enjoy lunch?” This time, she sounded a lot more cheerful than she did a little while ago.

 

“Why did you pack us lunch unnie?” I ask her out of curiosity. She just gave me this look, I didn’t know what it was but it meant something for sure. 

 

“Didn’t you like it?” She asked, she even sounded really cute. Really defeated, I just smile and just shake my head.

 

“No, Silly. I loved it.” I tell her. “You’re amazing.” I shyly add, even though I did not intend for those words to come out of my mouth. Sana unnie looked surprised. 

 

“I just thought you missed home cooked meals. That’s all.” She nods at me. 

 

I couldn’t believe what I was hearing. This girl right here have been having a difficult time lately and she still thinks about other people. On the surface, Sana unnie may seem like she’s all cutesy. But in reality, she’s more than that.

 

“I wanted you to feel at home.” She smiled and I, myself, couldn’t stop myself from smiling too. I was about to say something when my phone suddenly rang. It was my mom. I excused myself from Sana unnie and walked just a few steps away.

 

“Hello, Mom?” I answer, where I am currently standing I see Sana unnie. She’s scrolling through her phone.

 

“Tzuyu, I just sent you your allowance for the month.” My mom immediately replies without a greeting. 

 

“Mom, you could’ve texted me.” I tell her, of course I was joking. 

 

“I just wanted to hear your voice. That’s all.” She defends herself, I can’t blame her for missing her own daughter. Right? 

 

“I know mom, I miss you too.” I tell her, I couldn’t help but chuckle.

 

“Go check your bank account in the morning, okay?” 

 

“Yes mom. I’ll be sure to do so.” 

 

“Anyway, Tzuyu-ah.”

 

“Yes?” I ask her.

 

“If you ever feel like going back here, contact me. Okay?” I can hear the worry in her voice.

 

Though my mom can be insistent at times, she’s still my mother. I sometimes feel like she’s a handful. But honestly, I don’t think I should be complaining. I stare at Sana unnie, she’s still scrolling through her phone. I couldn’t help but smile, even just the sight of her makes me feel less tier. 

 

“Don’t worry, Mom. I guess I’m completely happy here now.” I tell her. 

 

We both say our goodbyes and we ended the call. I happily walk towards Sana unnie. Honestly, whatever she’s going through right now I’ll make sure to cheer her up. She’s been so kind to me and i just want to repay her. 

 

She looks up, her eyes, they looked tired but I still see her smile. How can a person be still this positive even after dropping out of school? She’s such a breath of fresh air. A ball of sunshine even. It’s just weird, how I act around her. How I become soft in general. How I just notice every little detail about her. I really think I should I just admit it. 


 

I think I have a little crush on Sana unnie.